“Really nice place”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Saskatoon, Canada
“Really nice place”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Travelled with my husband and kids (age 15,8, 4) for one week in January. Overall our vacation was really good. Royal Solaris was one of only a few hotels that would let us as a family of five stay in a single hotel room, which is obviously important to us as I’m not sure how we would split up. The room was nice- basic but clean. Not tons of space for a family of five but we weren’t in the room much except to sleep. We took the cheapest room which turned out to be a mountain view, which was actually really quite nice. Others in our group had taken the more expensive ocean view but it didn’t have a great view of the ocean anyways, it was more of the pool so I actually preferred ours.

Housekeeper did a good job of cleaning the room and restocking, no issues. She made little towel animals which were cute for the kids. Bed was firm but OK, however I am not picky about beds. The AC worked- a little too well. Our room was freezing cold and adjusting the dial didn’t seem to make any difference. Just turned it off after a while. Shower pressure was good. No hot water a couple of times. Kind of annoying but not going to ruin my vacation, just showered later, no problem.

Check in was pretty quick. We offered drinks while we waited which was nice as it was quite hot when we arrived.

The food was similar to other all inclusives- maybe better than some. The food at the snack bar at lunch was really quite good- we enjoyed the guacamole every day, and the burgers were good too- kids liked them. The supper buffet was OK- I found the set up a little weird and confusing though- you’d have to see it to know what I mean. I’m not sure why they don’t use the same buffet place that they use at breakfast for supper- it was larger and made more sense. I guess the point was for the dinner theater but we often didn’t stay for the show since it didn’t start until after 8 so kind of a large gap in between, for us anyways, as we tend to eat early with the kids. As for the A la Carts we ate the Spanish one once, it was pretty good food and we had the Spanish coffee which was delicious and we enjoyed to show. Didn’t get a chance to try the Italian, though I would have liked to. Making reservations was definitely a frustration. You had to call at 9 to get a reservation. If you called at 9:05 it was too late- unless you like eating at 10:00 pm- which just doesn’t work for us. I found 9 to be an inconvenient time to call- and I suspect it’s deliberately inconvenient. We were usually well out of the room by nine. Would have been better if we could call earlier or even go to the front desk. But at least the food at the buffet was pretty decent. They had different theme nights like Mexican/French/Chinese so I didn’t find that it got as repetitive as other places. Breakfast buffet was always good- my daughter bonded with Lucy, who was always so happy. Room service was good but I didn’t really like the fact that it cost $5 to order and then they seem to expect a tip on top of that. So we ordered once. They have a snack bar that opens at 10 pm which has basically the same food.

The beach was really nice and clean. Water wasn’t swimmable but good for wading. It was, however, hard to get spots under the shade. Went down at seven once and all the spots were taken. I guess you have to be a very early riser! Drink service on the beach was good. Apparently, whales could be seen from the beach. I never saw them but lots of other people did.

My kids really enjoyed the kids pool and the waterslides. It was nice that they had loungers there for the parents as well. It seemed to get more sun there than the other pool, so we spent a lot of time here. Our kids didn’t go to the kids club much- not the hotels fault- our kids are just clingy, but the people in it did seem very nice.

One thing that annoyed me a little was that my kids seemed to get ignored when they went to get drinks at the bar. I know they are not tippers- but I paid good money for their vacation package and I think they should be able to get a drink when they need one- especially after being in the sun almost all day. Except for the lobby bar- everyone there was really good and quick to bring drinks- even for the kids- so that was nice. We went to Karaoke night and it was fun. The entertainment staff do a good job and they work really hard.

We saw one show which was some kind of cinema themed show where they did songs from different movies. It was really well done. The kids were enthralled by the dancing.
All things considered, it was a really good vacation. The kids had a lot of fun and the week went so fast! I liked the weather in Los Cabos, the food and the pools. I am not sure that I would return here, just because I like to try new places, but otherwise, ya for sure why not?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank motherofthree_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,337)
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Ignacio "Nacho" Alvarez went the extra mile to assure we had a most enjoyable stay.
Even when he was sick he was still making sure everything was being taken care of.
Nacho deserves a raise Royal Solaris.
Overall, the rooms were very clean and bright. Service was excellent. Food was OK
"Members Only" activities did make me feel a bit like a second class citizen, though.
Overall, good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blakegestalt
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The main draw when we booked our vacation at Royal Solaris was the kids pool/waterslide area. When we saw these pictures, we were sold. We brought our 3 kids with us (ages 9,6,4) and they had a blast. In fact, we couldn't drag them away from the pools long enough to even get to the beach in front of the resort. As parents, we loved lounging by the pools with cocktails and platefuls of food while our kids splashed until it was dinner time. That being said, from our experiences on past vacations to Hawaii, Disney Cruise, etc. overall I felt the quality could have been a tad better. The rooms were not as nice as most hotels we've been to. Clean, but not really luxurious. Service was good in general, but there was this underlying guilt/suspicion that I had the whole time that they needed to be tipped in order to give good service. Understandable, but it made us uncomfortable. We didn't carry nearly enough small bills to tip everyone, so my suggestion would be to come prepared with a wad of small bills. Another thing that bothered us was that we got suckered into the timeshare presentation. Literally the moment we arrived, we were whisked immediately to a desk with a salesperson (although they did not identify themselves as such), given a cocktail and chocolate cake?! We were pleasantly surprised at first, but then we realized what was going on. Despite us insisting that we were not interested in timeshares, the salesperson gave us this guilt trip about how all she was asking was for us to attend the "90-minute" presentation--no pressure. Something about how she had to meet some quota for the day. We felt bad for her and thought we were doing her a favor, so we agreed, only to have her immediately take $40 from us (that they would give back to us after the timeshare presentation was completed). After talking to another family there, we found out they fell for the exact same spiel as us. Not sure how previous reviewers escaped the timeshare trap, but we were most certainly targeted. In general, I feel the pros outweighed the cons.

PROS: Service, beautiful pools, kids splashground, basketball court, loved the fresh tacos and guacamole during lunch, snack bar, unlimited drinks, ground were constantly being maintained, public bathrooms immaculate, a la carte restaurants

CONS: High-pressure timeshare presentation (which turned out to be 2 hours after we finally put our foot down that we were done), rooms a little dated & mildewy, buffet dinner entrees need help, deceptive sales tactics

We would be interested in trying Solaris again, but maybe next time in Cancun

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hoovitz
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I just returned on February 14 from a week vacation at the Royal Solaris with my family. My first impression were the locals and how great they were communicating and making sure we were well taken care of. The hotel staff were great. Our bellboy "Alvin" made us feel like part of his family and made our stay enjoyable. It was a very clean hotel with amazing food. I couldn't complain about anything except for the fact that I got sick on the fourth day... Not quite sure from what (food,flu,etc) but I wasn't too concerned, it was gone in 24 hours. Overall a great vacation and will return. Again, the hotel staff made us feel like we were at home.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are well worth the price... Whale watching every morning with the addition of the s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

even though the resort is older and they are starting to update the service is great. when you have breakfast you have to say hello to Victor, Rosario, Ricardo and most of all Lucy. for dinner depending which restaurant say hi to Paco, Sal, David and the rest of the staff

Room Tip: if you are not happy don't just leave it go back and ask to be changed but if it is only because...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Doogie60
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Royal Solaris was a great place for the price we paid. I am not a huge fan of all inclusive resorts, but this place is just as good as any other. The buffet food was just ok, but nothing bad. The bar and drinks were great, although the glasses were only about 6 or 8 ounces.

I loved the location and the rooms were nice. Our bathroom has a mildewey smell, but we just kept the bathroom fan on while we were gone and it solved itself.

George was the best waiter/drink runner on the beach! He was fantastic! In fact the whole staff did a great job.

This is a great place for families and a great location on the beach. However, if you are looking for good, good food while in Cabo - stray from this place or plan on going out to eat!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went there in January 2013. No complaints about the hotel, clean and quiet. The party is in cabo san Lucas, and the party people know to go there. Which makes San Jose del cabo a great vacation spot.

Didn't feel like a second class citizen because we weren't premium club members. Very friendly staff, hotel is clean and well maintained. We are picky eaters and were very happy with the food. The buffet gets a little tired after a week, but eating at any place for a week will feel that way. The snack bar is nothing to write home about, but the restaurant in the hut next door is open during the day, and had some great dishes, especially during the day.

You get good service even with modest tipping. Except at the swim up bar. If you don't tip really well, they push you to the back of the line. Even kids, which is not a classy move. That would be my only complaint, the bartenders aren't very polite without a good tip. Also, the pool could be a little warmer. On a warm day, no problem. On a cooler day, not comfortable.

For the a la carte, we may ate a Marco Polo, it was very good. For reservations, the trick is to all a could minutes before they start asking reservations. They will put you on hold, the you have your choice of times. Sleep in and you can forget about reservations. But the buffet is very good, lots to chose from. The mexican buffet was very good in particular.

Kids club is fine, our kids (8 and 6) barely went because they had so much fun in the pool and the beach. For a kid over 7, they would be bored.

Gym is decent, but not air conditioned. Fine in the morning, pretty warm once the sun hits it n the afternoon.

If you want pool chairs together, lay out your towels and stuff when you go for breakfast. Otherwise, tough to get seats together.

We will be back. There is tons to do in San Jose del cabo, liked it much better than cabo san Lucas. But be sure to go to cabo san Lucas for the arch, lovers beach, etc. easy and cheap to take a bus from across the street from mega. Todos santos is also really great, make time for that. Rent a car, or they have bus tours for the day. Besides that, San Jose del cabo is a great town, very safe feeling, slow quiet pace and not touristy. Really excellent family vacation, and royal solaris is a great place for a home base. We will see you next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!