“What is Wrong with Some People?? This Place was OUTSTANDING!”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Boston, MA
“What is Wrong with Some People?? This Place was OUTSTANDING!”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at this resort from 19 May thru 27 May and for the life of me, I cannot understand how anyone could have any complaints about this place. We were not harassed once by timeshare people. We did not experience any delays or inconveniences checking in and our room was more than adequate. I will try and summarize the resort by category:

ROOM:
We asked for and got an ocean view room which was well worth the extra $$. It was immaculate; the bathroom was good size, easily big enough for two. The balcony was also very clean and sizeable with a table and two chairs. We had one problem with a noisy exhaust fan in the bath, but one simple call and 5 minutes later it was repaired and was never an issue for the rest of the stay. The mini fridge was ALWAYS well stocked with beer, water and soda and we never had to ask. I read complaints about the beds being “hard”. I would say they were firm which was to our liking, but there were mattress toppers available should you desire something a bit more plush. All you had to do was ask… We slept each night with the slider open and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach was VERY relaxing. We were given access to the Jacuzzi rooms to see how they were and the only issue I could see was a bit of a lack of privacy should a couple “venture out” at night in the Jacuzzi. These balconies also had two lounge chairs which could be nice to relax, in or out of the sun. We also got to take a look at the ocean front room with its double balcony. VERY spacious! The only thing missing was a Jacuzzi in the “dead spot” between the two decks which would have been an excellent location due to its private area. Honestly though, I don’t think there was a “bad” room in the place, especially if you did not care for a view. The only suggestion I would have to the management of the hotel would be to add ceiling fans to each room. This would be a “win-win” for both the guests in that they would not need the a/c each night because the fan would suffice and for the hotel in that their energy costs would most likely be reduced significantly.

POOL/BEACH:
The pool was very large and at no time did we feel crowded. It was immaculate 24/7, not even a leaf in it at any time. There were more than enough lounge chairs to accommodate the guests. There was also an adult pool which was fairly secluded and was next to a large hot tub. At no time did we see anyone but adults there and there was always seating available. Yes, I understand the “reserving” of the chairs early in the morning. All I can say is I have NEVER been to a resort without the same thing occurring. My suggestion if you are a late sleeper would be to set your alarm for 7 AM, get towels from the towel hut (or keep them in your room overnight), plop them down on the chairs you wish to sit, and then go back to bed…. As the saying goes, the early bird catches the worm or the lounge chair in this case… Really not a big deal. The swim up bar at the pool was large and had seating in the water for at least ten with enough room between each seat to “belly up to the bar” if you wished. It was never overcrowded and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for a cocktail. The beach had ample seating as well and was never totally full. The ocean was fairly rough with some good size waves, and they recommend you don’t venture out too far, but the beach itself is huge and pretty much empty. One could walk for hours and never run out of sand. It was also very clean and there were quite a few activities such as horseback riding to partake should you desire. Yes, there were “salespeople” on the beach trying to sell their wares. All you had to do is say “no thank you” and they would respect that and leave you alone. Again, I am not sure why people had complaints about them. All they are doing is trying to make a living selling trinkets. If you wanted some you were more than welcome to price haggle. If not, they would leave you alone. The beach bar was more crowded than the swim up bar in the pool and all I can attribute that to is the bartenders. I’ll elaborate more on that when I talk about the staff…. We could think of nothing to improve upon at the pool or the beach.

DRINKS/FOOD:
Was it the finest cognac? Was there Beluga caviar at the buffet? NO. Could you find a cocktail to suit your everyday desire? Could you find something to eat that you enjoyed and would go up for seconds for? ABSOLUTELY! Panchos, the Mexican restaurant, was very good. We ate there two nights and the menu was always changing. Marco Polo, the Italian restaurant, was also very good. And, while their menu did not change, it did not have to. The fried calamari was some of the best we’ve ever had! And if you wanted more, all you had to do was ask….. Yes, I realize you had to call each morning at 9 AM to make a reservation, but even if you called at 9:30 there was still availability. Not a morning person??? See my comment above regarding the lounge chairs….. Again, not sure why people complained about either the drinks or the food or what their expectations were, but there is no reason for anyone to starve or die of thirst while they were there. And while there were some repeats at the buffet, there was ALWAYS something different to choose from each day. If you went hungry or thirsty then there has to be something wrong with you….. And, if you had a special request, all you had to do was ask….. They would do their best to please you.

STAFF:
I saved the best for last! These folks were great! I’ll start with the front desk. JOSE was a fine young man who from the moment we stepped up to the counter literally bent over backwards to make our stay a memorable one. He always had a smile on his face, and he worked EVERY day we were there, without a day off. I challenge anyone of you reading this to even THINK they could do the same! Anytime we had a question or concern, he was more than happy to help us out, again ALWAYS with a smile on his face. From there we go to the pool. DANIEL was a very good pool waiter. RAMON was outstanding! He had a lot of area to cover and did so almost effortlessly and ALWAYS with a smile and was very attentive. VALENTE at the beach bar was one of the most jovial, good natured individuals we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Each time I went to the bar with my 34oz. Bubba Keg, he would fill it up and after a while all I had to do was place it on the counter and he knew exactly what to do, nevermind the margaritas al la Valente! Superb! VICTOR, the Capt. De Restaurant, was indescribable. His attitude towards making the guests feel at home and comfortable was outstanding. You could see that he was well respected not only by the guests but by the staff as well. I cannot tell you what a great work ethic he had! He was a very hard worker. He even went out of his way one day to find coconut ice cream which was GREATLY appreciated! Again, all you had to do was ask….. And then there was ALFREDO (aka Israel), one of the waiters. He may have been all of 22 years old, maybe 110 lbs soaking wet, but what a nice young man. I have great expectations for him as he gains more experience and confidence. MARTINS, another one of the waiters, was very, very personable. Even though he lost his Mother less than a week before we arrived, he always greeted us with us with a smile and always had nice things to say. Again, he was VERY attentive as well. OSVALDO, the evening Capt. De Restaurant, was very gracious as well and a VERY hard worker. We never saw him stop all night!! JOSE, the breakfast waiter, was also very attentive and it took him only one day to realize I did not want coffee, but rather a “mucho grande’ Pepsi lite”. WENDY, our maid, left our room spotless each day as well as leaving some very creative artwork made from towels on the bed! The entertainment crew consisted of 20 something year olds who made me jealous because they were having a ball entertaining us AND getting paid! A big shout out to MICKEY (we love you Mickey!), NADIA, RACHEL, and the oh so personable ZOE! You guys DEFINITELY need to have more of those water balloon fights!! Then, there was all the cleaning staff, who we did not get to know by name but who were constantly working to keep the entire resort impeccable! They were like ants, always moving, always sweeping, always mopping! And, last but by no means least, there was LUCY, the “omelet queen”. This woman was so personable and joyful, singing each day and making some of the best omelets we’ve ever had! In fact, she even invited us to her home for breakfast the day we were leaving because she does not work on Sundays! How many of you have ever experienced that and any other resort??? Honestly, if you have a problem with her, then you should not spend your money going on vacation but rather use it to have your head examined… We also had the pleasure of meeting the general manager, GILBERTO BERMUDEZ. What a fine gentleman he was! Even though he must have been extremely busy with all his responsibilities, he took quite a long time to speak with us and listen to some of the suggestions we had to make things better. I hope he gets a chance to read this and more importantly that he recognizes what a great staff he has working for him and how proud he should be of them. When it was time to leave there, I actually felt like I was saying goodbye to family. That is how great the staff was. I’ve said this a thousand times now, but if you wanted or needed anything, all you had to do was ask……. One thing I do ask you all to do prior to your trip there is be sure to brings some one dollar bills. While it may seem like a small gesture, it really goes a long way to people who I am sure do not make that much money for what they do. And, PLEASE be nice to them. As the saying goes you can catch more bees using honey than you can using vinegar….. I guarantee your graciousness and politeness will be returned to you a thousand times back! I welcome ANY feedback or questions you may have.

Room Tip: Room 620 was great. Any rooms from 616 to 628 are very nice AND private.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank SNP1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
BC - Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My friend and I were at Royal Solaris from May 13 - 20th, and had traveled there with Air Canada.

I had read a lot of reviews before going there, and was happy with our choice, especially for the price we paid. The resort is very clean and there are always staff around doing maintenance and cleaning. The grounds at the back and front of the hotel were all nicely kept as well.

Every single staff member we came across was friendly. I was never once approached by any time share representative (maybe because I look younger than my age, they thought I wouldn't have been worth approaching?).

A lot of people complain about the food, but in my opinion, it was fine. I don't go to all-inclusive resorts for pure gourmet meals, but I think the staff in all the restaurants always did a great job.

Our Air Canada rep. Garina, was great and very helpful.

I do wish that there was a club or disco on the premises, however, the target group for the hotel doesn't seem to be people who would frequent a club, so it wasn't a huge deal. I did find the evening events somewhat lacking - like during the casino nights, there was no real explanation on how to buy in and join games that were already in progress. If you're looking for social activities going into the night, there isn't really a lot going on. I regret not going on on the Friday night club outing with the Entertainment group, since I hear they had a great time.

There wasn't really an explanation that the Steak House is actually the lunch buffet restaurant, or that some nights dinner was served at the theatre, and the regular buffet restaurant was closed. You will figure that out within the first couple of days.

The in-room safe didn't seem to work for us, but I see another review had mentioned that it wasn't keyless - perhaps there was a key we needed that we didn't receive?

We spent more time at the adults' pool instead of the large one. One day there was a woman who was playing her radio out loud, and I wish I had asked her to turn it down or off, but no one wants to be "that person" who doesn't let others enjoy things - but people should be mindful of the sign asking people not to make noise around there.

Some people have complained about the sleep quality they had, but that is just subjective - some people don't like certain types of beds. Preference should not be held negatively against the hotel.

Wi-fi costs in the room, but is free in the lobby - I didn't know that until we were getting ready to leave, but it was helpful to check-in online for our flight.

The resort is within walking distance to Mega (a Mexican Wal-Mart type store), and there is a bus stop right outside which you can take the bus (Urbano) to downtown for less than $1 US. We did walk to Wal Mart and I think it took about 20 minutes, and there are a lot of other places to walk to.

I wish I had written down some of the staff members' names so that I could have given them public kudos. I did write them on the comment sheet we received on our last day there. We were in room 553, and Isabel took care of cleaning our room every day, and she even left us some towel art which was so pretty I never had the heart to actually take it apart and use it. The young man who stocked our fridge with drinks was always smiling and happy. The staff in the buffets at breakfast, lunch and dinner were all exceptional, as was the bellhop who helped us with our bags as we were leaving.

I may or may not stay here again, but that is not based on the hotel itself. I think my next trip to Cabo would probably be St. Lucas since I want to be closer to the nightlife. However, if I get a great price, like I did this last time, I would definitely book here again.

All of the negative things I had mentioned were just little things, and I have just listed them so you know what to expect - this is definitely a great hotel, in a good location, and very relaxing.

Room Tip: A couple across the hall, with an ocean-view room, told us what they paid, and it was exactly the sa...
3 Thank Girl_604
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were just there on the may long weekend and what an AMAZING resort...All the staff were great and extremely helpful...I will deffinatley be telling everyone about this resort...Remarkable:)

Room Tip: make sure you take an ocean view or partial ocean view...A lot nicer view and a bigger deck.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gen H
Marlboro, New York, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had a great time. We are members and were very happy with Alfreda Mora our conciege. He took care of everything for us and our friends. The Solaris was clean, great food and drink.

1 Thank Michele_G_12542
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This resort is excellent. Good food/drinks/desserts. Entertainment staff is excellent as well their nightly entertainment (shows). 2 drawbacks:not keyless safe(key) and not much storage in rooms but both these things are liveable. 10 minutes from huge flea market area. Would go back....beautiful resort. Only 15 mins from airport.

Room Tip: maybe not towards the city
2 Thank Holidayfun10
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Royal Solaris is a good resort with friendly staff. I had read some reviews regarding people being harassed by time share people but had no issues at all. The room was very large and clean. Spent most of the time at the adults only pool which was relaxing. The staff was always around to take drink orders and make sure you needed anything. Breakfast omelet stations were great in the morning but did get a little bored with the food after spending the week. We did like the snack bar and ate a lot of gaucomole! Had two meals at Marco Polo which were really great. I would recommend making reservations. The beach was really beautiful. We did venture into the ocean and played around in the water but didn't go to far in as the waves can be quite large. We were concerned after reading reviews that we would not be able to go into the ocean at all but felt comfortable once we were there. Overall we had a great week's vacation here. My only concern was the food at the buffet as at times it wasn't very exciting but you do have other options like the snack bar or the restaurants to go to. We did venture into San Jose to go to a sports bar called Shooters which was recommended by a friend. Great little spot to catch some hockey and have some fish tacos!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen B
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We booked one week at the Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo this May. After a very long and unorganized wait at the front desk and a herd of people trying to exit with all their luggage blocking the entrance we finally approached the front counter. Check in was 3:00pm we had to wait an hour. No wrist bands offered but they would hold our luggage. Staff are not friendly or approachable at this point. We left returned at 3:00pm for check in was was told our room was not ready. More waiting. The entire hotel is in a complete need of a re-do. Not updated at all and definitely not a "deluxe 4.5-5 star" as they claim. Our room was big in size but felt like a throw back from the late 70's. The bar fridge hummed, room smelled musty, and the bathroom was gross. We had garbage in our can and a piece of clothing left in the room when we checked in...never felt clean!! The outside large pool had double the sun chairs they show in the picture. You have to shuffle thru all the people to get anywhere. Green pool towels are more like thin fraying rags. We sat at the quiet pool closer to the beach where children are not supposed to enter as per the sign...that didn't happen. The larger pool was so crowded with kids, teens, and families that it was so non relaxing. Drink line ups were huge and long waits. Dinner consisted of some kind of meat, limp salads, waxy cheese, and fruit that looked like it had been sitting in a cooler and was rotting....I AM NOT REMOTELY KIDDING!!!! At this point we knew we needed OUT of this hell hole. That night, we had other hotel guests outside of our hallway fighting, swearing and banging on doors. We called security 2x and they said they would send someone up. We called our travel agent and requested another hotel and we transferred the following day as reservations can't be made on a Sunday. Poor sleep from all the noise, door banging, beer fridge humming, and people running up and down hallways(which don't have windows). Morning breakfast they served beef stew and mixed color jello with the rotting fruit. Once again a soup kitchen line up for anything. We passed again on the food. Transferred hotels back to the RIU Santa Fe which is amazing, staff are fantastic, food is a 10 plus!!! I can't say anything good about the Royal Solaris....not worth it even if you get a cheap price....HORRIBLE HOTEL!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here...terrible hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
#23 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!