WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos

Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Calgary, Canada
“Pretty great vacation here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was here in February, and can say this is a beautiful spot for an amazing vacation. The grounds are immaculately kept, everything is clean and orderly. The service is all around pretty great (in English as well) and helpful – I didn't feel too far away from home.

We usually got lunch at the poolside snacks bar – but buffets otherwise. The dinner reservations fill up quickly, so book these early unless you want to eat late (we actually didn't use any of our credits, the buffet food was pretty good).

I am also doing a shout out to Jesus Villa in the Las Olas buffet (waterfront) – if you go to this restaurant, ask for this waiter. He'll make sure you get the best table, and make sure everything is just right for your stay, every morning. Ask him questions about activities in and around the resort, too. He made our morning, every day!

Yes, call it a "first world problem", but the WiFi did not work in our room (which you have to pay for). Tried on multiple devices, simply wouldn't issue an IP – hope this is now fixed! However, the management was happy to provide a credit and let me continue to use the internet in the lobby.

I will be back again!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms aren't necessarily that much "ocean view" – simply, you can see the o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear David C,

Thank you for sharing with us a review regarding your last stay at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos.

We are delighted to hear we made you felt as at home and to read you had such a great time at our resort. Jesus is going to be happy to know his effort and kindness has been remembered by you, we are going to share your comments with him.

It is great to know you want to come back again, we are going to be ready to create another memorable expercience; please do not to hesitate to contact us if you need any help planning your next get away to Los Cabos.

Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

I just got back from a fabulous 7 day vacation at this resort. I have just one complaint. The fridge in the room was never cold. Oh well, they had an ice machine right down the hall. The staff were so nice and wonderful to us. From the front desk, waiters and my favorites....the pool bartenders! they were so nice and friendly. They always appeared to be happy to see us return..day after day. They worked hard and I never saw them slow down.. ever. The food was fabulous. Anyone who complains must have some unrealistic expectations. There was so much variety of food that there was something for everyone. I would go back in a heartbeat...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jshuttleworth
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Jshuttlew,

We do appreciate you took the time to share with us your comments following your last trip to Los Cabos.

Every time when we received comments like yours we feel honored and pleasured to know we are able to exceed our guest expectations. We are delighted to hear all our staff made you feel as special as you are for us.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again in the near feature, it would be our pleasure to assist you.

Irvine, Ca.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I traveled to this resort last week for a family wedding. I stayed at an all-inclusive before which I loved and would return to, but it was way more expensive. Since this resort was so cheap, I went into it with much lower expectations. Even so, I wasn’t that impressed with the resort and wouldn’t return. I had a blast, but it was because of the people I was with, not the resort.

The things that are most important to me at an all inclusive are quality of food, drinks, room, service, and on-site activities. So, I will review each of these.

Food:
- The resort has a weird system for food that I didn’t think was clear from the website. Unless you are club premium, you can only eat at the non-buffet restaurants a certain number of times based on the length of your stay. I was club premium so it didn’t affect me, but other members of our group were affected.

- You have to make reservations at the sit down restaurants the day you plan to eat there. If you don’t have reservations, they will not seat you even if the restaurant is only half full.

- We had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated at the buffet even though most of the tables were open and the waiters only jobs were to get drinks and clear tables. This didn’t make sense to me.

- The indoor seating at both buffets we visited was very very warm. It could use air conditioning for sure. Just sit outside, it is prettier anyway.

- We ordered a quesadilla from room service once and it took about 40 minutes to arrive. It seemed like the leftovers from dinner service because the guacamole had brown spots and the refried beans were dried out. It was okay for a midnight snack.

- We ate off of special menus twice; once for the rehearsal and once for the wedding. This food was very good. Otherwise, we ate at the buffets. The breakfast buffet at Las Olas was good (bacon, made to order omelets, pastries, waffles, fruit, potatoes, etc.), but I was disappointed that there weren’t Mexican options… I’m in Mexico, I want Mexican food! Everything at the oriental buffet at Albatros was way too salty. The only things I could eat were the made to order chicken and veggie stir fry and desserts. Nachos at the pool bar were fine but the hamburger was rubbery and I was surprised that my jalapeno popper actually turned out to be a chicken nugget. My brother in law has Celiac disease, and the staff tried very hard to accommodate his needs. He has an app that described the condition in Spanish which was useful. I know of five people, myself included, who had upset stomachs; we ate and drank exclusively at the resort for four days. Bring Imodium or pepto just in case.

Drinks:
- The drinks weren’t super strong, but they tasted good. We would get shots at club premium in plastic cups and take them out to the pool to add to our cocktails and that worked out well.

- They definitely need more bartenders. Service at the pool bar was slow, but whatever because you’re just relaxing in the pool anyway. It took 20 minutes to get a drink in the sky bar. I felt bad for the bartender because he was working as fast as he could to keep up. He needed some help for sure. There is a nice view from up there so I would take a visit around sunset.

Room:
We booked our room in May, and I checked the prices at the end of June and they had gone down $100. We called and asked them to honor the cheaper price, and they did no problem. I was very specific in my room request based on what other reviewers said. I asked for an ocean view, away from construction, king bed, on the 4th floor or higher. All of my requests were met. We stayed in the Sol Tower room 1419. The bed was comfortable, we had a great view, we couldn’t hear the neighboring guests other than an occasional squeaking sliding glass door above us. It was adequately clean, but not perfect. Our mini fridge had juice boxes, bottled water, pepsi, sprite, and iced teas along with some snacks. They restocked it daily. We knew the people in room 1415 and checked there room out, too. It was right by the elevator, also had a great view, and their tub had jets in it while our tub did not. Something I liked about the resort was that everything was close to the room so you could run up to it fast if you needed something.

Service:
- The bellhops were friendly, Katherine in the club premium lounge was friendly and helpful, the activity leaders at the pool were fun, and there were some nice waiters, but for the most part, the staff seemed like I was inconveniencing them. I should point out that I am very polite and tip well, but this didn’t seem to matter.

Activities:
- We spent most of our time in the pools. The pools and spas are all the same temperature except for the salt water infinity pool which was slightly cooler. None of them were ever too crowded, but the lounge chairs filled up fast, so reserve one early by putting your stuff on it. The infinity pool was especially great at night with the moon shimmering on the ocean. The middle pool was the activity pool. We played water volleyball with a bunch of people once and had fun.

- The ocean has strong rip tides so you can’t swim in it.

Wedding:
- The wedding was beautiful. They set it up on the beach, and it looked great. The flowers were pretty, the person the resort contracted with to do the bride’s hair and makeup did a great job, and the reception was a lot of fun. They had a good DJ and fireworks at the end.

Club premium:
- I would definitely upgrade to get a better view, bigger room, faster check-in, unlimited room service, and access to the club premium lounge.

Room Tip: Superior Ocean Front Club Premium rooms 1415 and 1419 were both nice rooms with great views (see pic...
6 Thank hmsd25
Dear hmsd25,

We do appreciate you took the time to share with us your feedback following your last stay at our resort.

I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. Your comments are extremely valuable as they help us monitor our operations as you helped us being specific on the areas you consider are important: food, drinks, room, service and activities. By copy of this letter to our department heads I am requesting all issues be reviewed in order to provide the service our guest deserve.

Please accept our most sincere apologies and we all look forward to having the opportunity to better serve you during your next visit to Cabos.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We used to stay at the original Barceló which is now a Hyatt.
This hotel is a little smaller and less options for restaurants but still delivers the same excellent service, great food and relaxing atmosphere.
Great value considering how cheap it is, but doesn't have any cheap feel.
If you are looking for a cheap getaway without staying in a dive, this is worth it.

Positives: Upgrade to the Premium and upgrade to a Ocean View Room. Room 2339?
Great Buffet's. Always cooking something fresh. Amazing fresh fish and seafood.
Sushi is the same as Edo.... Italian has amazing mussels and scallops, best waiter Jairo. Mexican is Mexican..
Hornitos tequila is a must. shaken over ice.
Premium Lounge. They have 2 ladies in there that are amazing. Katherine and Maria. Both friendly and beautiful. We had one horrible guy named Arturo. He was very rude to my wife upon checking in. He couldn't find our reservation and thought we weren't supposed to be in the Premium Lounge.
Spa is amazing service and great price. $120 gets you a serious massage.
Buffet at the pool all day

Negatives: Beds are too firm. I woke up with a sore back every night. WiFi- is free with Premium, expensive if not. Some bad spots in the hotel but generally great. Main pool would get pretty nasty after all the sunscreen and alcohol from the swim up bar. But 80% of the time great.
TV's are outdated. aren't interactive and connected like the old Barceló/new Hyatt.

All in all, the negatives are easy to live with for the cheap price.
If you have the money, go to Hyatt or Zoetry or Melia.
If you are on a tighter budget but still like a relaxing resort with above average food.
The new Barceló is a steal of a deal.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view in the corner. bigger rooms. 2 patios. sleep hearing the ocean waves.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear SukeKeo,

We do appreciate you took the time to write a review following your last stay at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos.

We are pleased to read you noticed the high levels of service were are known for as Barcelo company. It is great to hear you enjoyed the fresh food that our chefs cook for our guet and to know you tried the Hornitos Tequila, you absolutely choose a good one.

We are sorry for this inconvenience your wife has, but foutunately Maria and Katherine were able to change this poor impression you had had at the begining in your check in.

We are going to consider your comment about the pool, actually every day we clean it in order to make our guest comfortable and safe.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near feature.

Asistente Ventas/ Sales Assistant
grandfaroloscabos.ventas-asist@barcelo.com
Lake Forest, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was a little skeptical about this resort after buying a groupon and reading some of the bad reviews on here. Also because it was kind of a hassle trying to book the room and our requested accomodations with the resort directly. But as i had figured, the people mostly complaining were either a one off situation, or just snooty, uptight, people that complain about anything and everything. And my advice to them would be that if they expected a grand 5 star resort, then cough up the extra money and go somewhere else instead of bashing a resort that would make anyone happy!

Our stay at the Barcelo was absolutely wonderful. My boyfriend and I stayed during the 4th of July holiday weekend which we expected would be a busy time but were told it was only at about 50% capacity which made the whole trip all the better. The hotel grounds were kept clean, rooms were clean, mini fridge always stocked, and even at one point when they did not refill the water bottles in the frigde, they came back later in the day to provide them to us. Just goes to show they dont forget about their guests. The bellboy Jose was absolutely awesome and showed us to the premium lobby (which is a definite recommend to get the upgrade) and also took our luggage and showed us to our room. He always greeted us like if we were long time friends whenever we saw him. The poolside service was fine, but just like any bar, we waited at some points to give our drink orders. They mostly provided sugary-watered down drinks but im sure if you mention a double, they would happily oblige.

The pools were great temperature, though we only really got in the infinity pool as the others were filled with kids and my bf and I wanted a more peaceful setting. The ocean right in front of the resort is unswimmable and had the biggest waves i have ever seen! There was one morning where we had booked massages on the beach and someone apparenly went into the water and never came out. Onlookers were surrounding the beach and talking about a possibly dead person right as we were supposed to have our "relaxing" massages but luckily they had the decency to shut up and realize that 2 people were trying to get massages nearby. One minor negative i have regarding the spa and massages, was that they were an hour late from the time we had our appt.. They were nice enough to bring us out a drink as we were out on the beach waiting for them to set up and luckily we had nothing else planned that morning so we just relaxed some more on hammocks right in front of the beach so it was no biggy to us. The ladies that did the massgaes on my bf and I were very professional and we were very grateful afterwards! They also allowed us to use the spa for the steam/sauna rooms they had and a big jacuzzi tub which my bf absolutely loved for the remainder of our stay.

the only other minor negative i would have to say about our stay would be how we got jipped with the "ocean front" room we were supposed to have. we were in the far side of the resort in the main middle building so the left building of the resort blocked our main view of the ocean. we were able to see it from the sides but i feel we should have recieved a better view since we upgraded to have guaranteed ocean front. We didnt want to make a hassle of changing rooms especially since i read so many reviews about not having a king sized bed even after requesting it so we kept it and in the end it worked out because it was a little more private being in the corner like that. plus the resort grounds were beautiful enough to enjoy the view anywhere you stayed.

i would definitely recommend getting the upgrade to take advantage of the exclusive premium lobby. they always had yummy o'rdourves and fruits and a mini bar whree you can help youself with to any cocktail or beer they had. it is also air conditioned and had sofas and a tv to relax if you wanted to. you also get free wifi anywhere in the resort which we had no problems using at any point. and free room service also which we did take advantage of. the only thing was, it didnt seem like they communicated well between the persons taking the order and the persons delivering. because everytime we ordered the room service and asked for something specific, they wouldnt bring it or modified the request. So that is something the resort can work on.

We only got to try the sushi restaurant and the italian while we stayed there. And i would recommend the italian restaurant only. I read the reviews about the sushi not being that great but being sushi lovers and wanting to see the beautiful view from the restaurant, we decided to try it anyway and sure enough, it was so bland and tasteless that we ended up getting cheeseburgers from the room service afterwards! The italian restaurant was very nice, felt like i was in a real fancy schmancy place. the food was spectacular and i just wish we could have enjoyed more time to try different plates. We had a wonderful time at the Barcelo resort and would recommend it to anyone. all in all, the resort was beautiful and staff was very accomodating and courteous. Thank you Barcelo for an amazing stay!!

Cleanliness
1 Thank Paula A
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Paula A,

Thank you for sharing with us such a very detail review following your last stay at our resort. We ae glad to know besides you read this negative reviews you gave the opportunity to show you the high levels of service we are known for.

We are pleased to read you had such a great time at our property and to know you enjoyed every little detail of our resort from the Club Premium benefits like the amazing Lounge to the relaxing time you had enjoying our Spa facilities.

We are going to share your comment about the Sushi with pur head chef in order to improve the sushi´s quality and provide a good option to the sushi lovers.

La Paz, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I've been over this hotel a good few times in the past and I considered it an average hotel, food was okay, the view was rather nice, I cannot say anything about the pools and activities around it since I don't exactly enjoy to skin too much, but if there's something I can critique are the drinks, they're bland and bartenders from the poolside and from the bad close to the lobby don't seem to agree at all, you go to one and the drink is either too sweet or too strong to be drinkable. They have a few options of restaurants to eat besides the traditional menu, but they're just as boring, the quality of the food is average and I think I could cook much better at home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Konoto K
Dear Konoto K,

We want to thank you for let us know your comments of your last stay at our resort. It is great to hear you are a repetitive guest thank you for your preference.

Your feedback is extremely valuable as they help us monitor our operations. We re going to share your opinion with our Food and Beverage Manager, who is going to focus on the drinks quality and the bartender´s service as well. Also our head chef is going to work on offer a better and varied menu in order to exceed our guest expectations.

Adelanto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed for 8 days 7 nights. Upon check -in, we found the room type we requested was not available.Due to the fullness of the hotel... an immediate solution was not available. After expressing our dissatisfaction, one of the managers (Aldo) came to our room and promised to fix the problem in the morning. The next day he had us moved us to the perfect room. From that point on... everything was bliss. The staff was amazing. It started with the Bellman Jose Leyva. We have traveled to multiple countries and have never met anyone so conscientious about their job. It was obvious excellence and customer satisfaction was his goal. He greeted us by name each day. He made sure we had everything we needed. He helped us in any and every way he could. He even called our room to check to see if we needed anything. He was truly the highlight of the property. And that is saying something when you consider the view was breathtaking, the room was perfect, the food was excellent, our maid (Magdelana Bldg. 2 floor 2) was was incredibly service oriented and efficient. Gabrielle Favela at the front desk helped us with anything we needed. So Jose had to really perform in order to be what we remembered most. We have never had a better hotel experience.

Room Tip: Buy the premium upgrade.
2 Thank Bill B
Dear Bill B,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us such a wonderful review following your last trip to our property.

It is great to hear we were able to show show the high level of service we are known for. We always care to figure our guest issues out, as you would notice with the solution Aldo gave to you.

We feel really proud of having José as part of our staff, he really makes his best to make our guest feel as important as they are for us. We are going to share your comments with him, we are pretty sure he is going to be glad to know it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#18 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,038 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#13 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,961 reviews
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#37 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,130 reviews

Been to Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!