“The trip that never happen”

Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I would never recommend this hotel, we booked this resort a month ago and received an email with the dates we were coming. Well we were suppose to be there already and leave n January. Which doesn't make any sense!!! We were book for 2 weeks and they had us for only 1 week, I had the confirmation of the correct dates and they would not honor it, they didn't care!!! They also had us booked for 3 adults when it was confirmed with 2 adults and 3 children. My kids have been looking forward to this trip and now I had to tell them it wasn't going to happen. Everything is fully booked at Christmas and we are out a lot. Thanks a lot Barcelo, Merry Christmas to you also!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Sam938
Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I just returned from staying here last night, and we had a completely fantastic experience. My boyfriend and I were considered VIP, and could tell everyone went above and beyond. The location was ideal, the grounds were gorgeous and very clean, and the staff beyond friendly - I do agree with another post though about the 2 other pools (not the infinity) being real cold. Our favorite meal there was breakfast we loved the made-to-order omelettes. The dinner buffet was decent but we found the desserts to all taste the same (even if they looked different). The reservation only Italian restaurant was incredibly good and had a great ambience in it. We also loved the open bar on the lobby floor, great service and played some mellow lounge music.

My only complaint is actually not about the hotel - it was people and their bratty kids, it was horrible. There was a jacuzzi specific for adults and always had kids or teenagers in it. There also really was no where to escape children in the pool area and be able to relax. I wish they could have a designated adults only area and actually enforce it. I also wish people would not let their kids act stupid and disrespectful to the other guests that paid good money to be there also.

We definitely plan on going back because we felt spoiled from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. Ignore the haters who leave bad reviews because the hotel was gorgeous, staff was amazing and the liquor was constantly flowing

Room Tip: we stayed in the Sol tower, had great views and the maids were very helpful when needing extra items
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mdc74
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just came back from Mexico and had to recommend this hotel.
Our stay there was great, amazing staff, great entertainment team, nice food different from those all inclusive just burguers & fries that I've usually come across.
I've been to Mexico before but this trip has surpassed the previous!
Overall an mazing holiday experience for me and my friends!

Lina, Portugal

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Adelina C
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was our first vacations to Cabo, so I don't have any other hotel at Cabo to compare against.
But we picked a really nice hotel (all inclusive).
The room was nice, employees were very serviceable, hotel was clean, infinity pool was warm, which was great to take my daughter in, because the weather was a little cold.
Since it's an all-inclusive hotel, you can take drinks and food at anytime.
It was 3 restaurants a la carte where you have to make reservation in the morning.

The only thing "not-so-good" I can say is when we went to the Mexican restaurant, the meal portions were small,,,,and we were HUNGRY,,,, so we ended up having dinner after the restaurant.

The italian restaurant they have had nice meal portions.

Also the beach at this location is usually in Red or Black flag, so you may not be able to get into the sea.

3  Thank AlexDeux
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just got back from the Barcelo Grand Faro. We really enjoyed it. Don't listen to negative comments. It's super clean, nice buffet, Italian restaurant had nice food. Loved that they had a drss code for the nice restaurants. We didn't care for the Mexican but others who stayed there liked it. This hotels is geared for couples and families. It wasn't that busy and could always find a pool chair. The staff are fantastice. Great bartenders and waiters. The beach location is spectacular. The town of San Jose del Cabos is walking distance to downtown. Fantastic art district and cute shops. The marina is amazing. Nice hotels at that end as well. My only negative is that is was a bit too quiet at times. The entertainment ends at 10pm and the hotel is very quiet. We didn't. Mind that. We did a pub crawl into Cabos one night. That was busy but was cool to see Cabos San Lucas which is about 40 mins away. You can also catch the city bus there which is about 3 dollars per person. We did a few tours. Todos santos was another cool little town we went to. Overall we thought it was a great hotel. Lots of Canadians, a few Americans and some locals. We made friends which was cool. Pools are clean and nice, they can be cold at times.

Room Tip: Ocean view, quiet side. The other side is doing construction.
4  Thank Jinxx21
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Overall, we were very happy with our stay at this resort. A few highlights:
- Despite our oe hour checkin on arrival, Gabriella the next day provided superior service accomodating our request to stay close to our family. To management: You should consider adding staff when you know a large bus, (ie. Air Canada Vacations) is bringing a large number of guests at the same time. It really sets the tone for the facility especially if guests have travelled long hours with young ones to stay at your resort)
- The facilty was clean, well maintaned and in great condition. Our room was adequately spacious, despite what seemed to be the smallest double beds know to man (only an issue to those travelling with family)
- The chefs at the beach resturant did an amazing job of providing fresh, diverse and delicious food options at lunch and breakfast. (thanks chef for adding the grilled shrimp to the lunch on that one day) Kudos to that team.
- The buffet dinners however, although similar food was provided was not to the same standards. Average fish, meats.
- Service throughout the facitlity was very good. Pleasant staff willing to accomodate. Jasimine in the Kid Club was particularly wonderful with our 5 year old daugher Katie and her 7 year old cousin Charlie. She was delightful and an asset to the resort.
- To Management: How could you justify the cold temperature of main pool and sports pool? It was obvious throughout the week there was maybe only one person ever in the pool. It took a few days to heat the infinity pool which the majority of people frequented. How would you feel if you came to ski resort with your family to go skiing and the resort decided not to groom the ski hills? Of course you could ski but not pleasantly. And it's not like we had the ocean to swim in either.
- The resort size was perfect for a small family as there was not too much distance between all the ammenities.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good
4  Thank xtina791
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and two boys (5&7 years old) vacationed at the Grand Faro last February (I know, I should of wrote this 9 months ago lol) and had a blast!! The value of this resort is amazing!! We have stayed at Rui Sante Fe and Dreams in Cabo and for the money this resort is my favorite!! We loved it so much we're going again in January and bringing friends!!!

The pictures are very true to what this resort is, it's not the most luxurious resort I've stayed but it's very nice!! It has breathtaking views and a great laid back friendly atmosphere.

FOOD: Overall I thought the food was pretty darn good. The breakfasts are AMAZING!!! Made to order omelettes, french toast, waffles, fruit, bacon, sausage, hash browns, several mexican buffet selections. Lunch was great as well. They had wonderful salads, ceviche, fish, pasta, etc... always a great variety. Dinner was good, not as good as the breakfast and lunch. When we ate at the specialty restaurants the food was very good. We didn't care for the dinner buffets. Although we never went hungry!! My kids especially love the snack bar, who am I kidding my husband and I loved it too!! I never tired of the food. The cheese and salad dressings tastes as they should. We have stayed at other Mexican resorts and the food tasted "off", especially the cheese. It was wonderful here!! My kids loved all the food too. We would of loved to see more shrimp and prawns, hint hint, I'll be back in January ;)!!

DRINKS: From alcoholic to non-alcoholic (for the kids) the drinks were very good!! They have a very large assortment of blended drinks, beer was good!! They have top shelf liquor (different kinds depending on the bar you're in), but if you are a whiskey drinker you better bring it with you!! The water that they serve is good to drink but don't drink out of the faucet, you're in Mexico ;) I am really looking forward to the mini bar in the room this coming trip!!

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT: I can't tell you how great the activities crew were, SOOOO FUNNN!! I enjoyed beach volleyball everyday at 11am, bingo, horseshoe tournaments, pool side games, and tequila volleyball are just a few. There wasn't much of a kids club. They did have sand toys and floaties for the kids which was great but not much to speak of as far as kids activities. But that was great with us, we went on vacation with our kids to be with them. And they had a great time swimming, playing in the sand, just being kids. They had an awesome beach party one night that the kids roasted marshmallows and enjoyed the entertainment.

BEACH: The beach was incredible!! Wayyy better than the beaches closer to downtown Cabo. We had a blast playing and jumping the waves. We didn't swim in the ocean but we played in the waves fore hours on multiple days!! This beach is absolutely beautiful, and perfect for walking, running, beach volleyball, sandcastles, etc... The beached closer to Cabo are not like this, they are steep and the sand is not as soft. We also saw whales on about 10 different occasions, sooo fun!!

ROOM: If you are traveling with your kids, get the junior suite!!! Our kids had their own room, which means we had privacy!! It was so worth the upgrade! The view was fantastic. I recommend a pool side room, ocean front. The housekeeping was exceptional. So, my oldest son got sick (vomited all over their room, it was bad). Without any cleaning products I was forced to ask our sweet housekeeper to clean up the mess. She did it with a smile, I tipped her a 20. We think he got sick from the hot cocoa, just an fyi. He wasn't feeling well for about 4 hours and then was back to normal. Give your kids pepto every morning, you are eating food from another country that your body isn't used to. My husband and I also took pepto and acidophilus morning and night. Don't be scared, this could happen at any resort or in the states. We heard of no one else being sick the entire time we we there.

POOLS: They have 2 heated pools, the infinity pool and the activites pool. We hung out at the activities pool every day!! The infinity pool was wonderful but we felt like it was more for adults, it was very tranquil :) The largest pool was cold!! BARCELO, HEAT THE BIG POOL PRETTY PLEASE!!! The large pool is the only pool with the swim up bar and no one was in that pool or at the swim up bar. My family dared me to jump in, I did and ordered a drink from the swim up bar and immediately got out.

CONS: The front desk staff was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! Only complaint, once we got past those very unhappy people that should not be in the hospitality industry the service and everyone we came into contact with was wonderful!

We are very excited to return and look forward to seeing the improvements that Barcelo is making!!!! CHEERS!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family