“Wonderful getaway at Cabo”

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed August 6, 2005

Me and My husband stayed at the Hilton July 1 - 5, 2005. We booked a vacation package thru Alaska Airlines which included shuttle service to and from the hotel. I would recommend arranging a shuttle as cab fare is about $25 per person from the airport to Cabso san Lucas. We actually meet a family of 4 that paid $80.00 one way from the airport to their hotel in San Hose. Upon arrival, the service was great. They considered us VIP so we were taken straight to our room and allowed to check-in in our room. We were first given a room that was on the 2nd floor by the pool and our balcony was next to an vending cart. Our package has specified a ocean view room, so needless to say I was not pleased. I went to the front desk and without any hesitation, I was given a different room on the 4th floor directly facing the ocean with a outstanding private view. The room was well decorated. clean and well equipped with bath robes, slippers, minibar and more. I was extremely pleased, it is definitely a 4 star hotel. Our total experience was relaxing and the service was excellent. Thn hotel that is on the part of the beach that has a cove and you can swim in the ocean, snorkel and rent wave runners. My only complaint about the hotel was the price and quality of the food. The breakfast buffet is $28.00 each and average price at the casual dining resturant is $20.00. We ate at the Hacienda the first night and ordered Sea Bass. The food tasted so bad we could not eat it and sent it back and asked if we could order something different. The manager promptly attended to our request and the cook even came to our table. They informed us that it was not Chiliean Sea Bass ($24) like they serve in the US. It is more like Grouper. The 2nd dish we ordered was chicken & steak fajitias, but it was just OK ($16). The next night we ate at the formal dining room, and the food was excellent, but it cost us $75.00. A little secret is that the Hilton has a section that is a timeshare and there is a deli located in that part of the hotel where you can get sandwich box lunch for around $7. Also the Hilton is across from the local bus stop that you can catch for $1 into Cabo San Lucas, the hotel has a shuttle service you can take for $10 a day, but the bus only stopped once after our stop and it was a 20 min drive directly into down town and it runs every 30 min. We rode the bus into town and ate at a restuarant on the pier for about $7 a plate and easily rode it back to the hotel with no problem. I would definitely return to the Hilton, but as some of the other reviews have stated, bring as much of your own drinks & snacks that you can and if you plan on eating at the hotel bring some MOOLA!

For activites, we took the ATV tour, and it was a blast. 3 hr tour that takes you to the beach and lets you romp around free for about 1 hour, it was awesome. We got it free because we did the timeshare tour at the hotel that provided us with a free breakfast and less than a hour of our time. It was worth it to savie $90.00.

We loved Cabo so much, we are returning next summer with our kids, but we are will be staying at the Westin Regina thru a trade with the timeshare that we own. I would of loved to return to the Hilton, but with kids, it is more economical to have a kitchen to be able to prepare our own meals.

10  Thank OCMom99
Write a ReviewReviews (4,438)

Reviewed July 26, 2005

My husband, 2 yr. old son, and I just returned from a fabulous vacation in los cabos and we fell in love with the Hilton. Before planning our trip, I was sceptical about where to stay, since there were so many resorts to choose from in los cabos. I must thank all of those who have posted their reviews on trip advisor on various hotels. Since Hilton was one of the only hotels that had consistently high reviews, we decided to stay there. We certainly made the right choice! The Hilton was extremely clean, rooms were impressive with breathtaking views of the Sea of Cortez, and the staff was exceptional. Employees at the Hilton really know how to take care of their guests. Every morning we ate breakfast in their restaurant, The Hacienda, which was delicious and full of variety. Best of all is the Hilton's infinity swimming pool. We had a blast swimming in it each day or just laying out on the lounge chairs under the umbrellas. The Hilton also has a spa which was also very nice. I felt relaxed as soon as I walked in! All in all, the Hilton is the place to stay in Los Cabos. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank GU3K
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I just came back from my second stay at Hilton Los Cabos. Could not be happier. The hotel is located on the Corridor with a shuttle service to both cities for exploring. The spa is fantastic. And you can get the combination of a beach swimming area with an infinity pool overlooking the beach. Highly recommend staying at the Hilton. (Order the Tacos Al Pastor by the swimming pool -- fantastic!)

6  Thank BMTTexas
Reviewed July 18, 2005

My wife and I are just back from the Hilton Los Cabos and do not have enough good things to say...but I'll try. We booked the vacation using Hilton Honors points so I went in thinking we'd have a room with a lovely view of the parking lot. I could not have been more wrong. We were greeted at the hotel promptly and offered drinks and then whisked off to our ocean front (not ocean view, ocean front) room on the 4th floor. It had a balcony, separate tub and shower with an opening from the bathroom to the beach view. Beautiful marble floors. Every day our room was cleaned at least twice and every day the sliding glass balcony window was cleaned and run over with a squeegie to keep salt spray off it. Even as hot as it was in Cabo our room was always cool and comfortable and the bed soft and inviting.

The staff could not have been more friendly and welcoming. As you were passed in the hall even people sweeping the corridors would say hello. The front desk and guest services staff were clean, professional and incredibly helpful. I had scheduled a dinner on the beach for my wife's birthday two weeks before we arrived and everything went off without a hitch.

The infinity pool was wonderful and the pool staff very attentive. The food and drinks were pricey but that was expected. Service, however, was prompt. The hotel also has a deli on the first floor so if you want to avoid the costly pool food you can grab a deli sandwich for about $5.00 U.S. It was fully stocked with drinks, gifts, etc.

We at breakfast every day at La Hacienda restaurant and it was delicious. Our continental breakfast was included daily but it is otherwise $10.00; the full breakfast buffet is $25.00. Remember that you have to ask for the check as the staff believes it is rude to bring it without having been asked. We had dinner there one night as well--try the fish tacos as they are delicious. Our dinner on the beach was provided by the Fenicia restaurant and was absolutely delicious. The portions were huge.

The hotel also offers an activities desk that books through Baja sports. We booked Snorkeling, ATV rides and horseback riding through them. They'll promise you the world but understand that time is relative in Mexico so don't expect them to always be on time. Everything they booked for us was as promised once we got to the location of the excursion.

While we did not use the spa we did work out daily on what appeared to be brand new cardio equipment (and plenty of them), free weights and machines. It's complimentary which is very nice.

One complaint I'd seen about this hotel was that the beach was too far from the hotel. It is a large and wide beach but due to the tides in the Sea of Cortez I don't see how it could be any closer. It is a healthy walk of about 50 yards from the end of the sidewalk to the closest part of the beach, about 100 yards to the main area, but the breakwater keeps the waves in check. It's a course and rocky sand but you can still walk it barefooted. I spent many mornings watching sunrise on the beach and it was well worth the hike.

The hotel is about 12 miles from Cabo but they have a minimal cost shuttle running throughout the day that you can ride as many times as you want to either Cabo or San Jose. We had a rental car so we made the drive about 10 times for a total fuel cost of about $24.00. What can I say, I'm a Sammy Hagar fan and had to make sure his Cabo Wabo Cantina stayed open...

Simply put, I cannot say enough good things about the hotel staff but I end with this: we had a 6:30pm flight out of San Jose del Cabo. I called and asked for a late checkout (12:00 is the normal check out time) and even offered to pay for another half day. Their prompt response was this: "Do not worry, you have until 4:00 and it's complimentary." That's IS service!

18  Thank jbains
Reviewed July 16, 2005

My husband, daughter and I returned from a two week stay in the Hilton Los Cabos on July 9, 2005. The property is lovely, of traditional Mexican colonial design, with miles of marble floors and exquisite architectural touches. We had reserved an ocean view room and were delighted when we were escorted to a second floor room in one of the outer wings of the hotel, which offered a view of the ocean unobstructed by even the pool.

What really sets this hotel apart is the quality of the service - it is nothing short of superb. Some examples of the service we experienced are the following:

1) An absolutely charming man who brought us margaritas and juice for our daughter on arrival, then took our suitcases to our room. When we got to our room, he noticed while demonstrating the room safe that it wasn't accepting a new code. He immediately telephoned hotel maintenance and, within five minutes, a maintenance man was in our suite to programme the safe. In addition to this, he gave us all kinds of suggestions about activities we could do and where we should eat. We followed one of his suggestions about where we should have dinner one night and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

2) Concierge staff who couldn't do enough for you.

3) Friendly, efficient waiters at breakfast and at dinner. We rarely had service which wasn't attentive. The waiters at breakfast, where we had the buffet each morning, were kind and welcoming.

4) Friendly, helpful staff at the pool.

5) Excellent housekeeping. We had a few different housekeepers during our stay. I remember the name of one of our housekeepers, Diana. She always greeted us with a big smile. We believe in leaving a dollar or two a day for the housekeeper, particularly when they do such a good job of cleaning the room. On many of the days we were at the hotel, Diana or the
other housekeeper whose name I didn't see, not only cleaned our room thoroughly, including changing the bed linens daily but also made some of the towels into figurines of swans or fans. On several of the days, the ends of the toilet paper had been made into fans! On our last day, I believe it was Diana who made towel swan figurines for each of our beds and surrounded each figurine with bougainvillea petals! Touches like this make a hotel stay memorable.

6) An excellent kid's club, called Vacation Station run by a charming, warm young woman called Imelda. Our daughter, who is ten, loved going to Vacation Station some of the days we were at the hotel and she really loved Imelda. I was also impressed with the craft projects my daughter did while there - she brought all of them home.

The beach in front of the hotel is swimmable as long as it is a day when the surf isn't rated as being dangerous for swimming. This is because there is a breakwater of sorts, made of large rocks which creates a cove - I noticed that the swimming was better in the half or so of the beach closest to these rocks. However, I would still recommend caution when swimming in the Sea of Cortez and noticed that few people ventured out much over their heads.

The food in the hotel is quite good, particularly the breakfasts. We had buffet breakfast included with our room rate, so didn't sample the a la carte menu. The buffet breakfast is quite expensive if you're paying for it separately - 280 pesos per person (about 25 U.S. dollars).

We had dinner at three wonderful restaurants: 1) The Mesquite Grill at the Casa del Mar, a resort which is in walking distance from the Hilton. This restaurant is situated on the beach in front of the Casa del Mar. Unfortunately, we chose a windy night to have dinner there, so much of our attention was on holding down our tablecloth, which threatened to fly away several times. Despite this, we had a memorable dinner. The food was excellent and incredible value. While you could spend more, my husband and I ordered the tuna. With this choice, you had soup, a quality salad bar and dessert for 220 pesos. The soup was whole Baja shrimp in a slightly spicy broth - delicious! Our daughter ordered Baja (large) shrimp for her entree and they were also delicious, sweeter than the prawns we are used to eating in the Pacific Northwest. The wine list was also very good. We had a bottle of award winning Mexican chardonnay recommended by our waiter. When the sun has gone down, the waiters light the torches in the sand - what a romantic place for dinner.... 2) Ristorante da Giorgio (at Misiones del Cabo). This restaurant is located high up on a point which offers stunning views of El Arco - take your camera! The cuisine is Italian.
I thought our dinners, which were all pasta, were good but not excellent (we are spoiled in our area by Italian restaurants). However, the location is unbelievable and the service is gracious and attentive. 3) La Panga Antigua in San Jose. This is probably my favourite restaurant in the whole area. It specialized in seafood and is in a historical building near the church in
San Jose. We chose to eat in the courtyard which is lovely at night. The food is simply outstanding.

14  Thank Susan H
A TripAdvisor Member
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2005

My family and I just returned from spending four days and three nights at the Hilton Los Cabos. We loved every minute of it. We could have stayed for a month and still loved it. The service was excellent and our room was spectacular. The food we had at the hotel was good although expensive. However, just about every restaurant in the Los Cabos area is expensive.

Our room was on the lower level situated between the two excellent pools. It had a back patio with two chaise lounges that overlooked the Sea of Cortez. The view was phenomenal and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach was very soothing. The room had two very comfortable queen-size beds and marble tile throughout. The bathroom was huge with a large tub and shower the whole family could have used at the same time.

The beach was a lot of fun even though it seems to be made up of quartz gravel near the water. My 13 and 10 year old boys and I had a great time being tossed around by the waves and racing them up the inclined waterfront. I would not recommend the beach for small children. The waves are very powerful even though they are not very big. The hotel has several palapas with chaise lounges down by the beach. The hotel staff serves drinks and food from the pool side restaurant. We took advantage of those daily.

Service at the hotel was consistently good from the time we arrived until we departed. The bell staff gave us margaritas and lemonade when we arrived and showed us directly to our room. The staff at the bars, the deli and the restaurants were very friendly and service was fast. The towel service is second to none. They never hasseled us about getting as many beach towels as we wanted. I've never experienced that at any resort.

We have stayed at Hyatt and Westin resorts in Aruba and Cayman Islands, but my wife and I both agree that the Hilton Los Cabos is the best.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

Although we went last summer, this hotel was everything my fiance and I could ever dream of. It was about a 20 minute drive from the airport and some of it was along the beautiful coast. Upon arrival our bags were taken care of right away and our personal bellboy (whom we saw everytime we entered and left the hotel and was always more than willing to help us with everything) welcomed us with margaritas- while checking in! He saw us to our room that had the most amazing view of the ocean and pool. My fiance called often to make sure that we had an ocean view room and we did. The room was clean and the bathroom was amazing! While soaking in the tub I could see the ocean! I requested extra pillows and they were brought up to us right away. After the first night the maid noticed that we used a lot of towels and the next time our room was serviced she left us extra towels without having been asked all the way through our stay. The infinity pool was awesome and the swim up bar was so neat, although you must be careful drinking in the pool, a woman almost died after she had submerged underwater because she was having too good of a time. The cocktail servers were attentive around the pool and very quick. There was an expensive dinner we had there one night that was delicious and was poolside in a quiet area. Very romantic! We dined as the sun set and it was as if we were in a dream. Worth the $200.00 price tag. When we needed to book our activities the staff was very helpful. This hotel was family friendly, although we have no children, and it catered to younger people like us and more mature folks also. We are mellow people and this was perfect becasue we didn't have party people disrupting the serenity of this hotel. The beach sand is like rocks, I recommend water socks! The ephicenter of cabo is only a 10 minute drive west and is full of things to see and do. Great bargain/suvenier shopping! Cabo Wabo was a blast! Great mixed crowd of old and young. We didn't get to golf but be sure we will visit this hotel again to see if it meets the standards of this fine establishment (which I'm positive it will!) The buffet breakfast was very large but $20 per person, worth it if you're a breakfast person although I am not. This hotel is AMAZING! We will definitly be returning to this hotel in the future!!! Note: Be weary of parasailing and rides on tiny boats because the waters are very choppy and rough. Also, if you know any spanish it'll help big time.

8  Thank Loretto P