We just arrived home after our stay in Los Cabos (Aug, four nights). I too felt that the reviews on this website were extremely helpful, and feel obliged to provide my own experience on our vacation at the Hilton Los Cabos.
After having read the reviews before our trip to Cabo, I was on guard and ready to shun away the time-share salespeople when we arrived at the airport. I later realized there was no getting out of it. After deciding to stay at the Hilton Los Cabos, my husband and I decided it was best to rent a car. In fact, I highly recommend it so you have the flexibility of driving to either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose, both are about 20 min. We got the economy size vehicle, $18 USD per day.
At the Dollar Rent-a-car, we were almost out the door when the rental agent told us about free breakfast at a new hotel that was opening. If you're over thirty and married... you're a target. Luckily we got away in a hurry without getting trapped by the timeshare sell.
Twenty minutes later, we arrived at our hotel. I was looking for the person handing out the margaritas when we arrived, but no one was there. It was over 90 degrees, and I was ready for that drink.
We checked into our hotel room and immediately decided to head straight for the pool. Two minutes after settling in we get a phone call. It's the information desk and they'd like to give us information about the hotel, give us our complimentary drink coupons... "aha," I said. "Finally, our drinks." We headed to the information desk ready for whatever deal the lady was going to tell us. "Are you interested in having a free breakfast, worth $20 pp, while hearing about our timeshares... it will only take 75 minutes? We will give you... (here's where we started to listen)... 20% off spa plus $100 spa or $80 off Dinner at La Hacienda. Plus, if you haven't already booked activities, we can give you good deals." Hmmm, $100 off the spa... deals on activities…
We did the breakfast thing and was surprised that the salesperson ate breakfast with us. The whole time was spent talking with us about what kind of vacations we've had, where did we go, etc. etc. We did the tour and walked into the timeshare office prepared for the hard sell. We said our "No thanks" and left the room.
For the rest of the vacation, every morning you see the next group of people suffer through the same experience. Time-share sales are all around and abundant while at Los Cabos. If you don’t mind it, then I'd recommend this hotel. Otherwise, you may want to find another hotel, or city for that matter.
Hilton Los Cabos was everything we had read about on Trip Advisor. The rooms are clean and the maid service was good. The complimentary water was never replenished after the first day. As for the spa treatment... it was great! My husband and I both did the Body Treatment, which was amazing. Granted we wouldn’t have done it had we not done the timeshare sell, so I guess it works out for everyone.
The pool experience was as expected. Service was slow and inconsistent although it was just as well because the drinks and pool food were very pricey. As for the food, it was expensive everywhere we went. I about fell off my chair when I saw the breakfast buffet bill. The information girl was right, it was $20 USD pp.
Coming from San Francisco where great Mexican food is abundant, I was not impressed with the food in Cabo. Although, I did enjoy my meal at the Tropicana Inn in San Jose and Mama's Royale Cafe in Cabo San Lucas. I did want to try a restaurant called Mezon de Zapata, which is where the locals go, but we didn’t have time.
Lastly, we did save big bucks on the sunset cruise, the Caboret. Although it seemed like we just sailed in circles, the food, music and entertainment were just right.
Overall, if you're looking for a place to rest and relax, Los Cabos is a great place. It is quiet and ideal for families, yet centered between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas for easy access.
As a thirty something who is done with the club/bar scene, my preference was San Jose. It is a small, older town with lots of character. The people are more laid back. While we were there, we walked to the square where there were two singers on the stage. Families sat around listening while eating ice cream. Children were playing. The scene was peaceful. In contrast, Cabo San Lucas was pumping with loud music, wild people, and lots of booze.
All in all, there is something for everyone in this town by the Sea of Cortez. If you plan to visit, you can’t go wrong with Hilton Los Cabos. Just be prepared for the timeshare sales pitch, uneven customer service, and expensive food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover award-winning hospitality at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort-only 25 minutes from San Jose del Cabo International Airport (SJD). Our Cabo San Lucas resort is located on a tranquil swimming-allowed inlet bay between the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, and provides the action of the city and a soothing escape from the hustle of daily life. Relax in the sun beside our signature infinity pool, where our Pool Concierge attends to your every need, whether it's a fresh towel or a tasty fruit pop to help you cool down. With an excellent Kids Program, there are specially designed activities for guests aged 4-12. Choose from a wealth of dining options at this Los Cabos resort's four restaurants. Indulge in innovative massage treatments at Spa Oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, HotelsClick, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach And Golf Resort
- Hilton San Jose Del Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach Resort
- San Jose Del Cabo Hilton
- Hilton Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort San Jose Del Cabo