“Loved the Hilton”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
New York
“Loved the Hilton”
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We just came back from a vacation at the Hilton and wanted to let anyone visiting this site know what a fantastic place the Hilton is for a vacation, Honeymoon, anniversary etc. The pictures we took just don't do it justice. The balcony views from almost every room are of a long sandy beach and endless blue ocean. The rooms are decorated beautifully and as another member mentioned the bathroom has large shutters that can be opened and allows you to have an unobstructed view of the ocean from the jacuzzi tub or from the large showers. My biggest compliment goes to the staff and the outstanding service they provide 24hrs a day. Everyone greets you with a genuine smile and its evident that everyone takes pride in their work.

Our favorite place to eat was Madera, an outdoor patio restaurant with excellent views of the Sea of Cortez. The menu is large and pretty much everything is tasty. Our personal favorite was the pizza's that are made by chef's at the outdoor brick oven.

There are an abundance of pool chairs and many pilapas on the beach. It was never difficult to get a great spot to lounge anytime of the day.

Our only complaint would be the internet service, the expensive breakfast prices and the fitness area could use a few more weight machines and a larger space.

• Liked — The serivce provided by all staff members
  • Disliked — Breakfast prices and internet service
3 Thank Shivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton for our honeymoon, and it was really amazing!!! We were there for 10 days which is more than most people stay, but it was worth it.

We were considering other hotels and did lots of research but after reading the reviews for this hotel we figured we couldn't be wrong. From the moment we got there we were treated like royalty, greeted with the most delicious margaritas I have ever had! The lobby is beautiful...

The room was decorated with balloons, chocolates, petit fours, towels in the shape of swans and a complimentary bottle of champagne, we stayed in one of the suites and were in the top floor, room 6025, the view was absolutely spectacular!!! We even had a telescope in the balcony, it was a full moon, so it was perfect.

The food in the hotel was delicious, try the tortilla soup, they also have a mexican platter which is not on the menu, but ask for it, it has a little bit of everything, little tacos, quesadillas etc.

The breakfast buffet, which we made sure was included (much more convenient) was absolutely amazing and delicious!!! It even has a chocolate fountain, try the chilaquiles and the little croissants as well, they are unbelievable !

The service at the pool was outstanding, there is always someone offering you drinks and making sure that your sunglasses are clean and that you have something to read, (ask for Ventura, and Rafael, they are all great really...) they lend you books and magazines, the sushi at the pool is really good, try the No Name Roll, its good. The frozen margaritas are great, as well as the Mango and the Banana Daiquiris.
Make sure you visit the Vista bar between 5 and 6 they have happy hour, its worth it, as drinks a quite pricy in the hotel.

Both pools are beautiful and they both have swim up bars, the beach is swimmable and the water was nice and warm. The sand is not that soft, but I was expecting that.
Make sure to reserve one of the beds at the pool there are 2 at each pool, they are big and super comfortable, they are amazing!

Our room was very spacious and had a big jacuzzi tub and the bathroom was open so I could see the ocean from the tub, its really incredible!

The only frustrating thing about the hotel was the internet connection, it sucks, its hard to go online and the signal is very week so I kept getting disconnected...thank god its free...

Another great thing about the hotel is that they have buses that provide complimentary transportation to Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, which is great because the hotel is a bit far from town so cabs are $25 each way and it can get very expensive, make sure you get the schedule.

There is an activities desk at the hotel, they will suggest many cool things to do in town. We swam with the dolphins which was great (ask for a coupon or discount when you book it) the pictures are expensive but worth it. (we got a cd with 8 pictures, $100 !)

I would also recommend the snorkeling cruise in Pez Gato, its really fun!! and the sunset cruise in Caborey to visit the Arch, make sure to bring your camera, you will be able to take lots of amazing pictures.

Make sure to visit Lorenzillo's oyster bar, Mi Casa and La Fonda. all great restaurants, please DON'T go to Hooters, they served me frozen oysters and evern though I didn't eat them they made me pay for them!

Back to the hotel, you will love it there!!! the service is absolutely incredible!! the property is beautiful, the food is delicious, it is very calm and relaxing, if you are looking for a party vacation, this is not the place unless you go to town every night, but if you want a relaxing vacation, this is the BEST place!!! I will never forget it and cannot wait to go back!!!!!!

You can contact me if you have any questions regarding this hotel or anything else regarding Los Cabos.

ENJOY IT!!!!!!!! :)

• Liked — The service, the amazing pool, the food and drinks, the view from the rooms, etc etc etc...
  • Disliked — The internet connection
4 Thank adrimolina
Richmond, VA
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Just got back from Cabo Hilton for our honeymoon and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Overall we had a great time. We were treated well by the staff and had a wonderful time. I

Background: I am a Diamond member of Hilton and booked a 6 night award stay back in July for this trip. I did contact the concierge about a week before we left to ask about some restaurant and SPA reservations. I also let him know that we were coming for our honeymoon. He was very responsive by email before we got there.

On arriving at the airport, we fought our way through the time share salesmen to book a taxi to the Hotel. It seemed like every taxi out of the airport was $65 (US). It was really annoying having to figure out who was official vs who was just trying to sell you on a time share. As a side note, it was only $35 when we left the hotel to get back to the airport. We had to leave around 6:00am to catch an 8:00 flight, but even that early in the morning there were taxis ready to go from the Hilton (we called the night before to see if we needed to reserve one but they said it wasn't necessary).

After getting our taxi, he took us to the Hilton where we gave our name to the gate guard. Once we pulled up, there was a bellman with a cart who took our bags and brought us over to the bar for a margarita. He said that check-in would be in the room and we brought our drinks up with us. I was hoping (but not expecting since it was an award stay) for an upgraded room, but I we just got one of their standard rooms. I wasn't dissapointed however since the standard rooms are really nice. They had a bottle of champaign, chocolate covered strawberries, and some fruit for us. I wasn't sure if that was because we were diamonds or because we were there on our honeymoon (maybe a bit of both). I called the front desk to ask for a mini-fridge (we rented a car the next day and went to the Mega store to stock up on some water, beer, and snacks) and they brought one up in 15 minutes.

Had a great week at the hotel. We went into Cabo a couple days and San Jose for a couple days. The rest of the time we just spent hanging out at the pool/beach. We did go to dinner at Las Ventanas one night which was right beside the Hilton (staff took us there in a golf cart). We did their tasting menu with the wine pairings and this set us back about $250 per person, but the experience was worth it.

Things we really liked:
- Concierge service was incredible. We used them almost everyday to help with restaurant recommendations and reservations, booking the shuttle, and any other questions we had. I highly recommend using the concierge staff regularly throughout the trip
- Shuttle service - At first I was a little annoyed that it was $15/person a day, but was chatting with the concierge and he mentioned that when it used to be free it would often get so crowded that people often couldn't use it when they wanted. We liked being able to take whichever shuttle we wanted without having to book in advance. While we were there the shuttle was free for everyone on Saturday and Sunday, but I'm not sure if it's always that way.
- Pool - Pool was great - It wasn't extremely busy while we were there, but it was necessary to go down before 9:00 to get your choice of pool chairs. We usually went down and put our towels and magazines on the pool chair just before we ate breakfast. This isn't my favorite way to do this, but it seemed like everyone did it this way.

Things we would have changed:
- Almost nothing - It was a great trip, and definitely met my expectations. That being said there were a couple minor annoyances:
- Using breakfast coupons - As a Diamond you got coupons for free continental breakfast buffet. This included all the fruit, breads and cereals. We were told it did not include the cold cuts and cheeses. The regular price for this was 250pesos (~$21 based on the exchange rate while we were there). For an extra $10/person you could upgrade to the full buffet which we did a couple times. The buffet was exceptional (a little overpriced probably, but that's what you get at a somewhat secluded resort) and had a good variety. Now, on to what I would have changed: On the coupon it mentioned that a service charge of 25pesos would be added to our room for each coupon we used. I wasn't sure if our servers would get this or not so I asked our waiter. He said that if we put at least a 25 peso tip (per person) on the check we would not get charged additionally for the service charge. We were not the only ones who had questions about this and overheard a few others asking the same question throughout the week. We just put the tip on the check each day and when we checked out we were not charged additionally for any other service charge (so it worked as the waiter stated, but it was just confusing the way we had to do it).
- Prices: This isn't really a complaint, but just want to warn people to budget a high amount for food. Everything we ate was great, but prices are typical of other resorts. We ate out in Cabo and San Jose as often as we could and found great food in both cities (much thanks to the concierge for their recommendations).

Overall I would recommend the Hilton to anyone. It's definitely the nicest Hilton that I've ever stayed in and will probably be back when my schedule permits.

• Liked — Great pool
  • Disliked — Typical resort prices for food and drinks
5 Thank rva_traveler
Round Rock TX
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We stayed here for our anniversary 9/22-9/30/08 and this Hilton lives up to the hype. We decided to rent a car from dollar rental for $428, full coverage, for 8 days and bring it back on an empty tank. You can do the math on cab fair as this hotel is a bit isolated, but one of the reasons we stayed there.
We were greeted at lobby and immediately ushered into the bar for drinks and check-in as our bags were whisked away to our room. Our room was 4023, beach front room 4th floor, facing the ocean. The room was decorated for our anniversary with balloons chocolate, wine and cheeses.
Both pools are fantastic with swim up bars and attentive staff providing drinks, cleaning sun glasses and bringing towels etc…. We stocked up on adult beverages and snacks at Sams Club in Cabo and brought them to the pool with no issues. The drinks and food at the Hilton are priced according to other up scale hotels. The breakfast coupons did help to take the edge off the final bill.
San Jose Del Cabo is a quite town compared to Cabo. In the town square there is a roof top bar called Shooter, $1 shot & $1 beers. Things can get out of hand here quickly so try to stay off the tables and assist with keeping the girls cloths on ;-) You’ll never know who you will bump into on these quite little streets, like Toby Keith and his wife.
Cabo San Lucas is over the top at night and it takes at least one day to recover at the pool before you go back asking for more. The hotel shuttle is also convent if everybody in your party is drinking. Make sure you check the boxes for Cabo Wabo, down stairs, and Squid Row at night, Daddy like.
We went to Las Ventanas the last night for dinner via the hotel golf cart. This is an amazing hotel with great food and wine selections. Dinner is about $300-$400 depending on your wine selections. It was interesting to see them raking the sand like a Zen garden with stones and candles as the sun went down. Rooms are $1-7K per night but the complete dinning experience beach side is a must do.
The Hilton Cabo has a quite relaxing atmosphere with full scale service. With multiple transportation options you can relax in comfort or go out on the towns and live it up. We’re already looking forward to next year.

Cheers

• Liked — Full service hotel with fantastic staff
  • Disliked — weak appetizer during happy hour, don't waste your time
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hookum
Omaha, NE
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We just returned from a week at the Hilton. We had a great time. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary and when we walked into our room, there were 2 swans made out of the towels, flower petals and heart balloons on our bed. On our actual anniversary, the hotel sent up a bottle of red wine, a cheese and cracker plate and a nice note wishing us a Happy Anniversary. We thought that it was a very thoughtful touch. On arrival, they took us to the bar and gave us free margaritas while they checked to see if our room was ready. They even checked us in inside our room so we did not have to wait in any lines in the lobby.

The room was beautiful. Our room had a king bed, curved sofa and a telescope. They bathroom had a large walk-in shower with L'Occitane bath products that I loved. The toilet was separated from the rest of the bathroom by a frosted glass door which I did not really care for. It just meant that there were 2 doors to shut when using the toilet because you could see through the frosted door. On our last night, we did have a few small ants on the bathroom counter but did not do anything about it since we were leaving early the next morning.

The bed was very soft and comfortable. Although, it may be too soft for some people. I personally found it hard to leave every morning. The maid service was wonderful. Each morning when they cleaned the room, they would make something different with the towels (turtle, girl, swan, etc...) and there was turn down service every night. I would have preferred them to leave a piece of chocolate instead of the coconut thing that they did leave. It did not look very good so I never tried it.

We were staying in a suite so the shuttle to each of the towns was free for us. We used it 3 times and it was always running on schedule. We also got a package that included the buffet breakfast. It was probably the best hotel breakfast that we have ever had. They had an amazing selection of food. They even had a station that prepared made to order smoothies. Starting about 9am they have someone that plays the guitar. We ate there every morning.

We did not swim in the pool but it looked beautiful from the restaurants above it. We did swim in the ocean a few times. Although there was a red flag those days, we did not have any trouble. I am not a very good swimmer but I felt safe on the days that we swam. The beach a little further down did not look as safe as the beach at the Hilton. We just walked along that beach to watch the waves. The sand was very coarse and we found many shells.

The staff was fantastic. Everyone was always smiling and eager to help out in any way that they could. I would stay at the Hilton again if we ever go back to Cabo.

3 Thank lolabana
San Diego, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton from Sept. 26th thru Oct. 3rd for our 5th Anniversary. Contrary to the last review, I think we actually like Cabo better than Hawaii, and feel that Hawaii (specifically, the Grand Wailea) is way over priced for what you get. I had read all the prior Hilton Cabo reviews, and you see all the celebrities who vacation in Cabo, so we knew it would not be cheap. In addition, we also read ahead of time that the Hilton was far from the towns, so we were prepared for that as well. Overall, the food was great in quality and service, so I didn't mind the (average) price. We stayed at the Grand Wailea in Maui last year, and although the pools and views are awesome, the food was terrible, and the service was not great. From what I remember, Hawaii was more expensive in general than Cabo.

Here are some of my notes and suggestions for the Hilton in Cabo:

ROOM: We had a Jr. Suite, which was very nice and comfortable and had a fantastic view of the pool area and ocean. There was a small couch in the room which is nice. The bathrooms are huge, with an oval jet bathtub (which I unfortunately never used!) My only minor complaints were that the beds are not the most comfortable (no heavenly beds here!) and I would think that they would use nicer shampoo/soap products at a "resort." (No shower gel was provided - gasp!) The bath products offered at the spa were much nicer and I wished they used the same ones in the room. The maid service was good, and there is turndown service where they always replace your towels.

POOL: We were here during off season and never had a problem getting decent lounge chairs at the pool. The "beds" at the pool are first come, first serve, though we never used them. There are 2 pools - the large one with a swim up bar and a smaller one with the swim up sushi bar. Both pool bars have great food. We especially liked the smaller pool bar, since it has a superb view of the ocean.

FOOD: The food at this resort was really good and priced at what most resorts charge. At about $10-$12 each, the pool drinks are actually probably a little less expensive than other resorts I've been to in the US (which are more like $12-$15). The food at the resort is mostly Mexican fare, however, you can get a hamburger, hot wings, sushi, etc. As for restaurants at the resort, we ate at Fenicia (the nicer restaurant) twice. The food was very good - maybe a little 'too' gourmet for us. In general for most restaurants, I learned that if there's something you want that's not on the menu, just ask and most of the time they can make it for you. We requested Ceasar salads and a fried calamari appetizer at Fenicia, which the chef made for us. Also, I thought the wines were a bit pricey - the least expensive bottles were around $60 (even for local Mexican wines). Fenecia has good Italian food too (I had the gnocchi one night).

El Meson is the more casual restaurant which, again, is mostly Mexican food and also has the (amazing) breakfast buffet. The breakfast buffet changes slightly each day, and even has a chocolate fountain! There's an omelet station, but I also learned that the chef will make huevos rancheros (delicious!) for you if you ask. You can apply your Hilton breakfast coupons for the contintental breakfast towards the buffet. The dinners at El Meson were great too. The shrimp burrito was huge and delicious, and I enjoyed the lobster/shrimp in chipotle sauce (although this didn't come with any sides, such as rice/beans which was odd).

We went to the happy hour one day but you don't get much food there, so it's not really worth it. It changes daily, but we had little chicken satay type things, and they serve the food to you instead of you just helping yourself.

SPA: The spa was very nice. My husband got a deep tissue massage and really enjoyed it. I got a hot stone massage and it wasn't that great - a lot of rubbing, but no real deep massaging. As I mentioned, the spa products were nice.

ACTIVITIES: We went to San Jose one day and walked around. I found most of the jewelry, art, etc. was fairly expensive and about what you'd expect to pay in the US. Not really much to do in Cabo and San Jose except walk around and go to the shops and restaurants. We planned a snorkeling trip one day out of Cabo, but my husband wasn't feeling well so we ended up not going.

Make sure you talk to the concierge before planning anything - they are SO helpful! Get the shuttle schedules from them.

There really isn't that much to do at the hotel or outside of the hotel, unless you pay for excursions. We just wanted to relax anyway, so that was fine, but after a week, we did start to get a little bored. I think 5 days would be a better length of stay for next time.

RESTAURANTS: DEFINITELY go to Sunset Mona Lisa. It is outside of Cabo, so you can take a cab there from Cabo or directly from the hotel. The food is Italian and delicious. The view is incredible. The service the night we were there was slow, but we didn't care - we wanted to sit there as long as possible looking at the ocean and the Arch. Our waiter did apologize for the slow service and deducted our martinis from our bill, which was nice. Make sure you sit outside on the cliffs. It's a little windy but totally worth it!

We also ate at The Tropicana in San Jose one night. Very good food, but they almost Americanize the restaurant too much - ie. there was American music playing. Also, I ordered lobster, hoping to get it with tortillas and beans (Mexican style) but it came with veges and rice. I guess I should've asked!

MISC: I cannot say enough good things about the staff. Everyone is so friendly and always asks if there's anything you need. Our only complaint was that one day we tried to walk over the the next hotel (Media or something) to check it out and we were accosted by time share salesmen right out in from of that other hotel! Rude! Plus, it was really humid, which made us not want to even walk anywhere. I had planned to walk on the beach each morning, but didn't. It was so humid, I wish I'd brought running shoes to walk on the treadmill for exercise.

I would absolutely go back to the Hilton Cabo to relax again!

• Liked — The pool and swim up bars!
  • Disliked — Had to take a taxi or shuttle to get to town.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WillsMom
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed October 4, 2008

We got to the Hilton expecting a great experience after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. As mentioned in many of the reviews, the hotel is very nice, the rooms are clean, good pool and the restaurants have overall very good quality. The problem with the hotel is that everything is a complete rip-off.

I have traveled around the world to many luxurious resorts. We went to Mexico over Hawaii, because we assumed it would be cheaper. Instead, we realized that the drinks and food at the HIlton Los Cabos were by far more expensive.

Also, I did not feel I could trust the staff at the hotel to be honest/transparant about charges. There was a 10% service change included at checkout on everything we had charged to the room (even though we tipped). This was never mentioned up front as they were so busy to have someone who spoke no English check us in and sign some document in Spanish. They also put an immediate $1000USD charge on my credit card (I found this out from my credit card company) in anticipation of charges.

The hotel does provide some free services like hotel shuttles and even tap water in the restaurants, however they will charge you unless you insist it should be free. Although this was not impossible, it was not relaxing to always have to double check the bill and make sure the hotel wasn't trying to charge me as much as possible. Even the free shuttle schedule had a posted charge listed (although they tell you it's complementary if you tell them someone else got it free).

To complicate matters, the hotel is located in isolation from the rest of Cabo. You can't really walk anywhere as the hotel is behind a security gate that only allows cars in and out. While this is nice for quiet, there are very few options for food/drink. If you don't want to dine at one of the few hotel restaurants, your only option is to take a taxi or shuttle to town which is about a 30 minute ride for variety.

We found it impossible to have a meal for 2 at the hotel, even lunch without cocktails, for less than $40USD. They did have a Deli, which we figured would be more cost effective than a sitdown restaurant, but the food was terrible and it was still $15 for a gross sandwich.

Not related to the Hilton itself, we were also pretty disappointed with the town of Cabo San Lucas. The town is a complete tourist trap and has a rough third world feel. The streets are pretty dirty by US standards and as an American tourist, you are constantly harassed to buy jewelry, eat at restaurants, and even buy drugs from the locals. We found very few restaurants that we enjoyed and EVERYTHING in town was overpriced. It was pretty much impossible to walk a city block without my wife feeling harassed.

Bottom line: next time we'll spend more and just go to Hawaii

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The prices and constant upsell/hidden charges
5 Thank tedh87
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,664 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,082 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!