“Beautiful property”

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Des Moines, United States
“Beautiful property”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The service and the property were fabulous. My only complaint would be the size of the property. It is huge. Also, there were no coffee makers in the rooms and they closed down the complimentary coffee in the lobby at 7 am.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
buhl, idaho
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I never imagined I would literally spend nearly every day at the pool (I am not typically a sunbather). Gustavos, Alberto, and Juan Carlos took such good care of us. All the food and drink accounting was accurate, they were attentive without hovering, and so friendly and funny. The pool is the perfect temperature for lolling around. The swim-up bars are so fun and the sushi was some of the best I've eaten. We were at the hotel for a wedding, which was so beautiful that it felt surreal many times. We experienced bonfires on the beach, a delicious taco bar, and a sumptuous wedding dinner. It was fun to watch the staff setting up beautiful decorations and table settings each day. They made it look effortless both to arrange and take down. Lots of delightful little touches. We utilized the taxis for a few trips to town, and they were prompt and helpful. In fact, a forgotten stroller was returned from the taxi once the concierge was made aware of the situation, which was a welcome surprise! A nurse is available on staff, which unfortunately I needed to consult, but it was simple and very helpful, so I didn't need to leave the property to resolve my minor issue. All our events happened on schedule and as expected. Luxury is expensive, and my only complaint would be that all the food is pricey with few options for smaller portions or economizing. The sandwiches in the deli are a decent value, but they are huge. It would be nice if the complementary coffee station lasted until 8 rather than 7 AM. More variety of less expensive snacks would have been appreciated. The only other thing I missed was chairs at the pool in additional to the deck loungers and more seating in the lobby area. There was really no place to just sit and read or contemplate or visit without feeling like I needed to purchase something to eat/drink or to stretch out on a lounger. But these are minor complaints by overall comparison. It was quiet, clean, and lovely.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view with a good eastern exposure for the amazing "tequila sunrises...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank travelmombuhl_idaho
Prospect, Kentucky
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The Hilton met and exceeded all of our expectations. The service was outstanding. The food is great. The room was clean, spacious, and very comfortable. Imagine sitting at breakfast, lunch, dinner or just simply lounging by the pool. You look out at the beautiful Sea of Cortez only to see Whales splashing, when all of the sudden a very nice person walks up to you and asks if they can get you something. They may offer you a cool towel for your face or a simple skewer of frozen fruit. Oh yeah and if you only speak english you can completely have a conversation without any troubles at all. We also had conversations with people who had stayed at other resorts and said hands down this was one of the nicest places in Cabo. My wife and I had a great time and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Try to get as High as you can for a full Ocean view. The Trees are very lush and Tall and could imp...
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife, my sister, & I stayed at the Hilton. It is located about halfway between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. I'm a Hilton HHonors Gold member and burnt some free nights.

The property is on the Sea of Cortez. The grounds were very well kept. Our room was nice and clean. It was located on the 4th floor with an ocean view. From our room we could see the humpback whales breaching as well as the sunrise over the sea. I don't believe rooms come with refrigerators. I requested one prior to arrival and it was in my room when I arrived.

There are 2 pools, both with a swim up bar / restaurant. The water was heated which made it very comfortable. We didn't have any issues finding lounge chairs at the pool. Some people "reserve" them very early by putting books or towels on their seats, but we always found a couple of open ones. I spent quite a bit of time in the pool. My wife walked the beach every morning. We aren't people who swim in the ocean, but the Hilton had a small roped off area for swimming there (Cabo beaches have tons of rocks and dangerous undertows, usually not good for swimming). I found the sand to be a bit course for walking barefoot in.

El Meson serves breakfast as well as dinner (Mexican food). The breakfast was very good with a ton of choices. Gold & Diamond members get breakfast vouchers which save you some money for breakfast. Dinner at El Meson was ok, but pricey. We had a nice dinner in Fenicica. We also split a monster hamburger and wings at La Vista one night. The wings were very good (not breaded and spicy which is how I like them). They also had a deli which sold cigars, sodas, beer, salads, sandwiches, coffee, etc. I'm not a coffee drinker, but my wife said the coffee was very good (strong).

The staff was very friendly and courteous. The only negatives I could say about this property was that we had problems getting wash clothes from the maid. She never left any in our room, we had towels, we had hand towels, we didn't wash clothes. We asked for them, received them the next day, but not again. Very strange.

Overall, a great stay. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors, there are some palm trees which may block your views on the lower floors.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mr_Clark
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you like really large resorts then this is a very nice place. If you like smaller, boutique resorts then this will be too big and impersonal. Food and drinks are way over priced at pool La Vista which had the best view at happy hour. We used the offerings at the deli to mitigate the high food cost issue. For a much better breakfast experience, you can walk across the highway to the Cabo Real Golf course and have an awesome view, good food and quieter setting under the large palapa. It is about a 2 mile easy walk one way. If you want to lounge at the pool, you will need to get up at 6:00am to save a chair and you will be right next to someone else. Very good beach access and places to swim in ocean if you want and other activities. Beware that hotel has turn down service in the evenings so someone is coming back into your room after cleaning.
Spa was used for a mani/pedi. Overpriced but the service was excellent.
Due to the large size of the resort, fitness center was packed with waiting before able to use desired equipment.
Resort is quite a distance between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas so be prepared for high taxi fares.

Room Tip: The way the resort sits, about 1/3 of the rooms are facing another hotel's pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed our convenient beach access and the service at our Spa Oasis. However, we are concerned to learn that you did not feel we delivered the boutique, personal service that you expected. While we are by no means a small resort, we are dedicated to delivering friendly and personalized services and amenities to make every guest feel that he or she is having an individual experience unlike any other. The size of our property does not impede our commitment to each and every guest. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your helpful feedback. If you would like to speak with us directly please email us at enjoy.loscabos@hilton.com we would really like the opportunity to talk to you.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2014

stayed a long weekend and really enjoyed it; not sure if it was my Diamond status but we used points for a standard king and got upgraded to a top-floor 1 bedroom directly over main pool; food was really good overall but at the expected resort prices; incredible amount of beach space and not many folks using it; overall staff was fantastic (I always forget that service is much better in Mexico than in Hawaii); would definitely recommend staying here unless you want all-inclusive

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is a long review I realize, and a hard one to write as I hate to add a bad review to the string of wonderful ones, but here's our experience:

We were supposed to arrive in Cabo on a Thursday but bad storms canceled our first and second flights, leaving us on a 2 stop redirect through Canada. It got us in Friday so we gladly took it.
Our travel agent scrambled to let our airport transfer know of our new flight and also contacted the Hilton letting them know we would be arriving a day late. She gave us two options: either pay for the room Thursday night so you have it for when you get to the hotel Friday morning, or cancel it and just check in Friday at 3pm. Both options we would still have the room category we paid for: a Superior Oceanfront Junior Suite. We chose the first option as after traveling for literally 24 hours straight we just wanted to get in our room and not have to wait until 3pm.

So we get there and the front desk clerk is taking awhile to check us in and then said he had to go in the back to speak with someone. Ut-oh, that's never good. He comes back as says our room was given away and he can put us in a regular room today and tomorrow he will move us to the suite we paid for. I told him that our room should have been held since yesterday because we are paying for it and don't understand why it was given away. He said he would credit us for Thursday night for our troubles. Why would we pay for a room that was never held for us or that we didn't have? Of course we should be credited for that! I explained that we have gone through great lengths to get here and I just wanted to unpack and relax, and not have move rooms during my stay. The hotel clerk said there was nothing he could do, so I then said if you don't have the room we paid for then you should offer us a better room, as is customary in this industry, and as I knew there were three higher classes of suites in the hotel. He wasnt budging so I finally asked for the manager since we werent getting anywhere. After he spoke to the manager they finally were giving us the room we reserved, but they would have to take it from someone else, a couple coming in later that day. HUH??? First of all it's none of my business where the room comes from, but is it really appropriate to tell me that after you mistakenly gave our room away, you now plan to do it on purpose to someone else? Why should I even be told that, was I supposed to be thankful for that? Also, the manager never actually came out to speak with me, which I thought was a bit unprofessional.

Ultimately we checked in and were told to wait 20 minutes so they could make sure the room was ready. I was hoping maybe they were putting an amenity in the room to smooth over this whole fiasco, no such luck. We didn't get the whole Welcome schtick that includes a welcome drink, resort info or information for our stay nor did we get our breakfast coupons. It was like they threw us the keys and wanted us out of the front desk area. Although after traveling 24 hours we didn't want to be there any longer then we had to. Later we found out from our travel agent that AMEX travel spoke with the Hilton manager directly and the manager profusely apologized, saying that the front desk was told to pre-check us in the night before, but they didn't. The hotel manager apologized to AMEX travel? Not to be insensitive, but should we really care about AMEX travel's feelings! Shouldn't the apology have been to us?? We never got one.

However there is a lot of "good" here! The resort is gorgeous, the property is beautiful and although we requested a higher floor, our first floor unit was nice. We asked for a fridge which they happily accommodated, and guest services kept our room immaculate. Also the main reason we chose this hotel was the reviews about the service, and aside from the front desk, the service here is wonderful! The staff literally runs around in circles getting things for guests and pool staff remembers your name and what your favorite libation is. Concierge was great too, Pablo = amazing! They were all awesome!!!

Ultimately I doubt my review will swing someone either way to stay here or not, but my experience does bring into question why the hotel didn't make a small gesture to apologize and offer us maybe a credit on something, a bottle of wine, a note apologizing, something to win us back and make us forget about the horrendous check in. It was pretty evident they didn't care. Also we are a gay couple and it seems as if this hotel recently lost its IGLTA travel status. We shared with the hotel that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and yet they did nothing to acknowledge it. Another opportunity to make our stay special, but an opportunity not taken. I'm not sure why the hotel requests to know if you are celebrating a special occasion if they don't plan on acknowledging it. I'd hate to assume it is due to our orientation, but it's either that or they forgot.

One final incident: upon checkout they asked me how everything was and I said we had a beautiful time. Here is what the woman at the front desk said, I can't even make this up: "Oh I see we gave you a superior suite!" My eyes almost shot out of my head. First of all I found it odd she would bring up our room at all, especially considering what happened. I responded "No actually that's the room category we paid for." And she said "Oh I heard something different that we gave you that room." Talk about adding salt to the wound. Maybe she was referring to the hotels plans on giving us the regular room the first night and then moving us to the room we paid for the second night? Who knows, but I found it ironic that I put the incident behind me, only to have the same front desk staff remind me of it as I was leaving! I wasn't about to get into the whole thing again with her so I just smiled and said goodbye.

So my very first, and oddly, my very last impression of this resort was just bad. The managment knew they made a mistake, knew we were upset about it, and had 9 days to make any small gesture to acknowledge this. They did not. So I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth, and a not so stellar review that I really didnt want to write. It seems like an anomaly though and I didn't read of any other recent reviewers having an issue with check in, so don't let it hinder your decision. The big takeaway here is what the resort did to smooth over their own rather larger guest service error, and the answer is, nothing.

3 Thank RobandAaron
Thank you for sharing your story and feedback. We are immensely sorry for delivering that experience during your stay at the resort. As we have said responding to so many other guests' reviews, positive and negative, service is of the utmost important to us, and at the front desk is no different. The situation as you describe it is not our normal practice. Of course we are relieved to learn that outside of these experiences you found much to enjoy about your stay, but please know that this situation will be reviewed thoroughly so that we can root out your communication concerns and avoid this in the future. We would like to speak with you please contact us at enjoy.loscabos@hilton.com. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Villa La Estancia
Villa La Estancia
#8 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!