My wife and I had hoped to spend our whole four-day Los Cabos vacation at the Hilton. Unfortunately, we were able to stay only two nights, because during the last two nights of our stay the entire hotel had been reserved by Sony for a corporate retreat.
The first thing to say about the Hilton Los Cabos is that everything was beautiful: our room, the lobby and other public areas of the hotel, the pool, the beach, the ocean. (Actually it's the Gulf of Cortez, but it looks and behaves like the ocean. More on this later.) The room was not the luxurious kind you would get in one of the better Hiltons in Asia or Europe; rather, it was typical of a nice if somewhat dated beach hotel, the kind of room you'd expect in Waikiki or Bali. But it was clean and comfortable and had a beautiful ocean view, so we were happy.
There are however, a few drawbacks: the hotel is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, 10 kilometers from San Jose del Cabo and 20 kilometers from Cabo San Lucas. There are no shops or restaurants anywhere near the hotel, and taxis are quite expensive. This means the hotel restaurants have got you where they want you, and this is reflected in the prices. On our first night we were not very hungry, having eaten on the plane, but we still managed to spend almost US $50 for two drinks and an order of nachos. The drinks were good but the nachos were not. So on our second afternoon we went into Cabo San Lucas -- there's an inexpensive and reasonably pleasant public bus every 30 minutes or so -- and had a wonderful meal at an Italian restaurant called Pan de Bacco for less than our snack had cost at the hotel the night before. (Breakfast was included in our room rate; the breakfast in El Meson restaurant was fine, although probably not worth whatever you would have to pay for it if it were not included.)
Another disappointment is that the beautiful beach by the hotel isn't very swimmable, or at least it wasn't during our stay. A few people, mostly young men, were braving the surf despite the red flags, but I gave up after getting knocked over by the first two waves that came along. The good news is that the pool is large, cool, and inviting. It wasn't overcrowded at any time during our stay, although the hotel seemed to be quite busy.
The problems we encountered were substantially mitigated by the courtesy and efficiency of the hotel staff. Faced with a dizzying array of dicey-looking transportation options at the airport upon our arrival, we called the hotel and the concierge recommended a shuttle that took us to the hotel for $14 per person. He also gave us information and advice about the public bus to Cabo San Lucas, and later he arranged a $20 taxi ride to our next hotel in San Jose. (All prices in this review are in US dollars.) We also had pleasant encounters with the reception staff, housekeeping, waiters, waitresses, and the hotel manager.
In retrospect, we probably should have rented a car. This would have cost about $50 per day including the Mexico-specific liability insurance the rental companies make you buy, but it would have saved us about $80 in taxi and shuttle fares and enabled us to go out for lunch or dinner without waiting for a bus. We might even have gotten to one of the protected beaches a few miles down the road where it is said you can swim safely even when the waves on other Gulf beaches are too dangerous. The Hilton does not charge for parking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover award-winning hospitality at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort-only 25 minutes from San Jose del Cabo International Airport (SJD). Our Cabo San Lucas resort is located on a tranquil swimming-allowed inlet bay between the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, and provides the action of the city and a soothing escape from the hustle of daily life. Relax in the sun beside our signature infinity pool, where our Pool Concierge attends to your every need, whether it's a fresh towel or a tasty fruit pop to help you cool down. With an excellent Kids Program, there are specially designed activities for guests aged 4-12. Choose from a wealth of dining options at this Los Cabos resort's four restaurants. Indulge in innovative massage treatments at Spa Oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HotelsClick, Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach And Golf Resort
- Hilton San Jose Del Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach Resort
- San Jose Del Cabo Hilton
- Hilton Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort San Jose Del Cabo