“Amazing relaxation-so glad we chose this property!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Illinois
“Amazing relaxation-so glad we chose this property!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Loved our stay--so glad we listened to all those other reviews where they said "it's almost as nice as the Cabo Hilton..." It's also the only beach where you can safely get in the water. We thought what better place to try Cabo!

We did walk down to the Secrets resort we had once considered, and were so glad we did not choose that over the Hilton. Initially we were looking for an all inclusive, non-kid atmosphere (have em, love em, just wanted peace and quiet for our vacay). The Secrets was so dull, boring, devoid of charm or atmosphere. Maybe the food is included, but it is NOT worth the lack of ambiance or facilities.

Being at the Cabo Hilton reminded me of resorts in Hawaii--open air check in, well appointed and maintained grounds. The staff practically outnumbered the guests when we arrived. You will not want for anything--except maybe morning coffee in your room.

Here's my rundown. All in all, great trip--will go back for sure.

Positives-in no particular order:
Room--handsomely appointed and clean. We upgraded to the oceanfront king which was on a ground floor on the northern wing--directly facing the ocean--ahhh. Dark curtains kept the light out. Our room was very very quiet.

Housekeeping--wow! 3 times per day and never ever a single knock or loud "HOUSEKEEPING!" from the hall that would wake all guests on the corridor. Seriously, I think they have a motion detector that knows when you leave! Plenty of towels, nice toiletries, room safe, great sitting area, huge triple closet with built in shelves. Everything was SO clean--all the time. Wow! I was HAPPY to tip our housekeepers because they really worked hard.

Fridge! Had an enormous fridge delivered to the room on check in--he was there with it in about 10 minutes. Used it to keep water, beer, gatorade, and some cheese...Thanks to the Costco and Walmart!

Lobby restaurant/bar--Great find--you can order ANYTHING from the property at the lobby bar which is also a restaurant--it won't be on the menu, but you can just ask for whatever is on any menu on property, including room service items. They mostly tout their two main restaurants, but we discovered we liked this relaxed atmosphere more. We are vegetarians and there wasn't much to be had at their Italian or Mexican restaurants which are also very expensive. (The bruschetta is literally one piece--yikes). We learned we could get pizzas, guac/salsa platters, and veggie burgers at the bar restaurant which has an amazing open terrace overlooking the ocean and pools. Saw others getting hamburgers here.

Workout room -- large and very well appointed for a hotel. Many guests using it, but it was never too crowded. An attendant offers water bottles and cleans the machines.

Pool--we lived here. The main infinity pool was our favorite. Loved the bar and kudos to Julio the bartender. They don't really advertise this enough but you will see these tall plastic cups with drinks at the pool. You pay a mint the first time, but you get very cheap refills for the rest of your stay. Our regret was that we didn't discover on day 1. Try Julio's Miami Vice!!! Half Pina Colada, half Strawberry Daiquiri--sigh.

HINTS
Go before the second week of June if you don't want a lot of loud screaming kids. If you bring kids and want playmates, go after June 7th! I was appalled that parents let kids yell at the top of their lungs--it's not the neighborhood pool--it's other people's perhaps one and only vacation for the year folks, so don't take a vacation from being a parent--try some quieter voices--ahem. And don't save chairs for kids who are never in them--share yours instead for the 10 minutes they eat their lunch. It was very quiet up until June 7th--lots of couples and weddings. Perhaps Hilton would install some kiddie slides at the other hardly used pool...hint hint.

Another poster mentioned same sex couples. Yes there were some pairs of same sex individuals together, but they did nothing to indicate whether they were couples or siblings, any more than we did. Did not see any PDA issues with people there (nor would it have bothered me in the least.) It is a very VERY welcoming hotel--do not be put off by that comment. I think my gay and straight friends, singles and couples, would all feel very welcome here. We met many groups of single people in for some weddings and they were having fun, so you don't have to be paired off to enjoy this place.

Rent a car--we were so glad we did. Cheaper than airport transportation for pete's sake, and we had the freedom to go to both towns easily. Valet parking is fast and free. There is parking for 150 pesos in town at the mall (buck fifty).

Huge cabinet of books to read if you see Jorge of the Jungle (ie, the pool concierge) by the towel station. I thought I'd buy one at Costco, till I saw they were all in Spanish--duh. So glad we asked him if they had more than was just on the pool cart--he's loaded with books! Also he has games and toys so don't buy pool noodles and things till you visit him--people don't take them home so he recycles them.

Wishes/Feedback for Hilton...
• Offer free internet instead of the nickel and dime routine of $10/day. C'mon already. Every reviewer says it, and it's true. (You're not keeping up with the Hampton Inn's of the world :)

• Free morning coffee (!!!!!!!) Did not like the trek all the way to the basement convenience store that only opens at 7am and then paying Starbucks prices... At least have some coffee for the room. If you won't do that, then put some in the lobby. So many Americans, so little coffee!

• Convert pesos to dollars for guests, or get a second ATM that dispenses dollars.

• Have more vegetarian options available please.

• Make the continental breakfast less costly. Because there are so many using coupons, it is the first thing they will ask you when you go for breakfast. They do an outstanding job with this meal, but seriously, the continental is 260 pesos ($21 USD)--a lot for a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. We chumps not high in the Hilton system subsidize the couponers apparently. Maybe, make a $10 Continental breakfast, and then charge more for the hot items. Made us feel like second class citizens because we were practically the only ones without coupons--we do not travel in our jobs so we do not have all the zillions of diamond platinum Hiltonium points. Or at least get a breakfast in your rate--consider how much they charge. They do a great job with it. Rant over.

• Could use some additional wall plugs in easier to reach locations, but that's a very small suggestion.

* Could you offer a few more television stations in English or at least get closed captioning set up? Seemed to me that the bulk of the guests were English speaking--didn't hear any other languages. But most all of the tv channels were in Spanish. I know there are English stations because we watched the playoffs in the bar.

* Finally--question: why are your front desk folks not nearly as nice as everyone else on the property? Not rude, but not very friendly or helpful. They seem... weary. Everyone else has clearly been well schooled to offer an outstanding customer service, so what happened to the front desk folks? Did they miss the class? The car porters, maids, waiters...all outshine them in attitude.

Room Tip: For the best ocean views, get rooms on the very end of the wings facing the ocean--the rest are on a...
4 Thank value_quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I will preface my opinion with my prior experience of having traveled every week to a different city, staying in one to two hotels a week, for over a year. I can easily be critical. Two trips to Cancun included, and by far, this hotel was far above the two resorts where I stayed. I feel like we got away with a steal-of-a-deal after our stay. The same price as most any major city hotel.

The staff was wonderful, very gracious and helpful. As soon as we arrived, a staff member met us with a luggage cart, a drink, AND no need to "check in". That was very refreshing after a long day of travel. They start you off right.

The ambiance was peaceful. Beautiful view of the beach. This hotel is not monstrous. It was a quick walk to the pool. Plenty of lounge chairs available by the pool and an assortment to choose from. We really enjoyed the outdoor poster beds with the flowing curtains, making it easy to block the sun from any angle, but still enjoy the sun and the view. There were many covered lounge areas inside, some more private than others, lending to many places for a siesta.

Unbelievably clean too. The lobby bathrooms are staffed.

The restaurant made adjustments for my dietary needs without any complaint. The menus offered versatility that made it difficult to want to eat anywhere else. I have never seen such a large selection of bread. Seriously. Pre-sliced and and at least 10 loaves of slice-your-own, plus muffins and sweet breads. Juice selection included cantaloupe and cactus. Yum. We found out that this Hilton beat out 500 other Hilton's around the world for best food and beverage/hospitality. I can clearly see why. Stellar staff. Great sense of humor. One waiter remembered what we ordered the day before, down to the avocado on the side. Nice!

Always a new towel animal left on our bed daily. Very creative. I never knew a bathmat could become a poodle.

I was surprised by so many birds around the resort. An iguana was on the edge of the property. Staff said she was pregnant and ready to give birth any day. It was enjoyable to see wildlife without having to leave the hotel. I wished we were there at the right time to help release turtles into the ocean. Maybe next time. It is nice to have the opportunity to do something good for the environment while on vacation.

This hotel definitely focuses on the little details which make the biggest difference. It is obvious this staff is a community, not just team members.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abella123
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here last week as we do every year. And each time we travel, I feel a bit paranoid that something will have slipped since our previous visit because it was so wonderful. On this trip, only slight issues surfaced which took a bit of shine off the experience. The hotel needs a fresh paint job. The sun has faded the exterior and the cracks are beginning to show. The tennis court needs to be resurfaced as well. The trees could really use a trimming and some of the pool furniture has seen better days. I know this all costs money but with an added 'activities fee', the work should be done. The main pool area in particular looked very messy very early most days (cleaning this area should be a priority) which is out of the norm with cans, cups, towels, cigarette butts and other junk strewn about.

What sets this place apart is the staff, but they too will feel the effects of a less-than-pristine environment should further deterioration occur. From the best concierge in Los Cabos, Pablo, to the best waiters I've ever encountered, Clemente and Luis, among many others in the restaurant, to the gregarious George (of the Jungle) at the pool, one's stay is positively heightened by these individuals who truly love what they do. Fact is, if they left this hotel and moved to another, I would stay at that hotel.

Breakfasts and dinners at Meson were superb. The food was exquisitely prepared and served. Prices were a bit high but the taste and presentation more than made up for it.

Surroundings were beautiful as ever, though this year in particular, more than a few non-hetero normative couples were hanging around. Not an issue high on my agenda due to its tedious nature, but families with small children might want to avoid answering somewhat uncomfortable questions.

Hope management spends a bit more time taking care of the small things which make a difference especially to those like us who value the time and money we spend there.

3 Thank rollo_orlando
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I vistied the Hilton in Cabo San Lucas for 1 week and it was not long enough! Usually during vacations you are sick of it towards the end of the week but my boyfriend and I were thinking about extending our vacation to 10 days but it was not feasible. Everyone is so nice, they go above and beyond to help. Food and drinks were amazing!! Counting down the days until I can return!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Tim B, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay. Vacations never do seem to last long enough; how can one put a time frame on paradise? We are very happy that you had such a wonderful time that you did not want to leave. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Beautiful setting, location and hotel. Wonderful staff - from pre-arrival planning to each activity and meal - everyone seemed to genuinely care about me and my family's experience. Surprisingly delicious meals. I cannot say enough about our stay there and eagerly await when we get to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week recently and were treated like royalty. The property is beautiful, clean and well maintained. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, always making sure we had what we needed and that we were happy. We've stayed at Hilton properties all over the world and this Hilton stands above others. Thank you to all who made our stay so enjoyable - we look forward to coming back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Teri K
Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you felt you received the red-carpet treatment while with us. Hearing that our guests have an experience that mirrors what we set out to do shows us that what we do each day is working. We look forward to your return trip.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Overview: This gated beachfront property is a gem in the Hilton family. Though the property is beautiful, it is the exceptional staff and the attentiveness to detail that make this property stand out.

Room: As a Diamond Member, we were offered oceanfront adjoining rooms 2047 and 2048. The hotel is in the shape of a U and we were on the very tip of the "U" facing the beach and the ocean. In this area, being on a higher level did not matter since the hotel sits up on a hill side. There was nothing impeding our wonderful view of the ocean, the beach and sounds of the crashing waves. Our balcony was enjoyed every morning and evening. Even though we could not see the sunrise/sunset from our window the view was still outstanding. The separate bathtub and shower layout was a nice touch. The decor was classy and appropriate for the location. Our room was cleaned thoroughly everyday and we were left a nice towel origami which always brought amazement and joy to my children's faces. WiFi was poor in this area of the hotel and I would suggest a different area of the hotel if this is important.

Area: The hotel is in hotel alley. Situated in a quiet area between San Jose del Cabo (5 minute drive) and Cabo San Lucas (10-15 min drive). Across the highway is Cabo Real Golf Course. We played the course and would highly recommend playing.

Restaurants:

El Meson: The El Mason restaurant serves lunch in an open air setting with a beautiful view of the ocean. Their tacos were some of the best I've ever had. The Taco's El Pastor was my favorite. This restaurant also services all of the poolside. If you find your self relaxing poolside make sure you ask for ((Fernando)). Drinks are

Madero for Breakfast: If I were to say "Luis and Victor (I believe they are the managers) and the rest of the breakfast team are superior!" this would be an understatement. I looked forward to having breakfast every morning. They had a fantastic classic guitarist playing live every morning. The buffet, omelet station and the creativity of offering were top notch. It was the perfect way to wake up on vacation. Thank you Victor and Luis!

Modero for Dinner: This is local cuisine with an elegant twist. The food was fresh and often times prepared table side. The ambiance was very nice and I thought this restaurant did an excellent job of ensuring that the dinner guests did not feel like they were eating at the breakfast location (and vice versa). We ate at this location twice during our stay. One time, the restaurant prepared our freshly caught Rooster Tail Fish we caught that morning. For $20 per plate, they prepared (4) different offerings of the same fish. Each offering was amazing. It was enough food to feed an army. We couldn't come close to finishing.

Fenicia: This italian restaurant was fantastic. I thought the food was well prepared and offered good portions. Everything from the bread to the dessert was excellent.

Beach: The beach was enjoyable, however, the Hilton property beach is roped off to prevent the vendors from coming up and selling you stuff. Therefore you feel like a fish in a fishbowl as the vendors stand on the other side of the rope and ask you to come over. Additionally, if you are up for a swim in the ocean you are fair game. The Hilton property line ends about 50 feet from the waterline. We were there in June. The waves were rough from time to time. With small children you have to be very attentive to their proximity. Some of the waves/surf can be dangerous. There is a small protected cove but even still the waves could be fierce. There is a tour operator Acuatica which tries to sell discounted tours. Though they are not trying to get you to attend a timeshare, they are motivated to send you to certain tours. Luis was the person at Acuatica who sold us the tours. I would strongly suggest not using this tour operator. Every tour had some issue or misalignment of expectation. Pablo is the concierge at the Hilton. He is professional, courteous and speaks great english. I would use him next time.

Pool: There are two pools and two hot tubs. The main infinity pool is where all the action is. The smaller pool is relaxing and peaceful. The smaller pool is also adjacent the Kids Club. There is one hot tub that is about 10' in diameter and one big one that is about 20'. The temperature of the pools was perfect. They heat the pools, but only enough to make them a perfect comfortable temperature.

Hilton Diamond Benefits: This hotel offers room upgrades when available, breakfast coupons for continental breakfast ($9 extra for the full upgrade and well worth it) and free WiFi (You can only have two active devices at a time). The spa relaxation room and common areas were offered as a perk only when asked for specifically. The spa manager said he would make a special exception.

If you like this review please give me a "helpful vote". Thanks for viewing and enjoy your travels.

Room Tip: There is an unadvertised "Kids Eat Free" promotion during off season. This is something y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
#7 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,305 reviews
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#5 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,693 reviews

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!