“Best Vacation Ever!”

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Santa Barbara, California
“Best Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just returned from our 4 night stay at Hilton Los Cabos. We purchased the trip through Costo Travel. We could not be happier! The property is exquisite. Beautiful interior design. Clean, comfortable. The hotel staff were exceptional. Paul helped us at check in and check out. Pablo assisted us many times as Concierge. I had a fabulous treatment at the Spa. We traveled with our kids and they took advantage of the Kids Club. They loved it and it gave us some alone time which was both appreciated and needed! We will not stay anyplace else. When we visit Los Cabos - we live at the Hilton! Thank you for everything :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanie G
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your rave review. What an awesome family vacation! We are so happy to have been a part and are glad that you were able to enjoy some much-needed family time and some time alone as a couple. We hope you all left feeling recharged and reconnected. We are proud that you would consider us your Cabo home and look forward to having you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you are looking for a breathtaking views in a stunning beach front, this is for you.

The views were breathtaking. watching the sunset paradise. It is a long way to come from the UK but we were visiting Las Vegas and San Diego so decided to pop down the coast (2 hours flight from San Diego).

The most impressive thing was the service, which was immaculate. The room was decorated in honour of my wife's special birthday. The hotel staff wore a smile and everyone by the pool was spoiled with cold towels, sunglass cleaning, free popsicles or even a free massage. Rooms lovely, very clean if not very modern. The infinity pool was sublime.

We were there in low season (September) and the hotel was probably only a quarter full. There was no real entertainment at night and beware, the nearest two towns were 20 mins away by car. September is very hot and humid and it is hurricane season but we had no issues (and no mosquitoes either). Food was delicious, especially the Felicini - the best pasta I have eaten in years. Not particularly cheap but excellent. Full Breakfast was around $24.

I will remember the views and the loveliness of the people. I am not surprised that the hotel was so well run, the GM responds to these reviews and his attention to detail is evident throughout the hotel. if you are thinking of booking it, do so.

1 Thank Mayfield50
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to leave your review. We are so pleased your wife had an excellent birthday and we are grateful to have been able to celebrate with you both. Our poolside service is unbeatable and definitely a huge part of what draws our guests back year after year. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you back as well.
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Managed with you, the guest, in mind, the hotel provides for your every need. And if you dont see it, you only have to ask. The rooms were spotlessly clean and all the employees were helpful, friendly, and efficient. We went in the off season but did not notice any diminution of service. The food poolside was plentiful and excellent. i couldnt have asked for a more relaxing time.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael M
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your great review. We are happy that you seemed to enjoy each and every aspect of your stay, from accommodations to service. A vacation is obviously meant to be peaceful and relaxing – an escape from the every-day – and we are glad that you felt all of those things throughout your stay with us. We look forward to your return.
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I want to start this review by addressing complaints I read about this property and then I will move on to further commentary. I read many reviews about the Hilton Los Cabos and found the following criticisms to be unfounded:

Not enough chairs around the pool. UNTRUE! First, there are two LARGE pools. Each are surrounded by MANY very nice deck chairs. The pool attendants are very helpful. There are always PLENTY of towels and we never had a problem sitting exactly where we wanted. I’m sure if you go during high season there will be more people around the pools, but I can’t imagine not being able to get a comfortable place to relax.

Food expensive. NOT TRUE! I found the prices at all of the restaurants to be comparable to LESS EXPENSIVE than other resorts. The prices are definitely BETTER than in Miami or Las Vegas.

Food not good. UNTRUE! We ate at all four restaurants at all times during the day and found the food to be EXCELLENT!! We especially recommend the poolside wood fired pizza and dinner on the beach!

More details:
From the moment we arrived, the staff was friendly and VERY HELPFUL! They immediately took us to our room and welcomed me with wonderful birthday wishes, an amazing cake, and champagne. They also gave us welcome pomegranate margaritas which were amazing!!

I have stayed at great hotels all around the world and found this hotel (location, service, food, and amenities) to be among the best – including stays I have had at Ritz-Carltons.

The poolside staff was WONDERFUL and regularly offered to clean our sunglasses, spray us with a cool mist, and give us popsicles. The poolside bathrooms are immaculate!

We highly recommend dinner on the beach. The $100 charge is worth it!! Omar did a great job – we had a romantic dinner all alone on the beach at sunset.

Ocean: be careful! The waves and currents are rough and there are rocks.

Transportation: take the local buses to Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo. Only about $1.75 per person each way. Only about a 20-25 minute ride. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus.

We also recommend Operadora TURISTICA CIELITO LINDO for airport transportation. Ask for a stop at the MEGA GROCERY store to pick up drinks and snacks. The $20 extra charge for the stop is worth it!!

• Stayed September 2012
8 Thank lfaw
Thank you very much for your review and also for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at the resort. We appreciate all of your fantastic travel tips and are sure future and returning guests will appreciate them as well. We are honored that you would consider us one of the best resorts you’ve encountered throughout your world travels and look forward to having you back.
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary and it was amazing. Very friendly staff, clean hotel, great food, just awesome! We have been to many beach resorts and this tops them all. We look forward to going again as soon as possible

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Sbrouse
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review and congratulations on your anniversary! We are deeply honored that you would choose to spend this special occasion at our resort and even more moved that you would consider us the best beach resort you have visited yet. We look forward to your second stay with us.
Richmond, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This resort was gorgeous. Of course, we did upgrade our room so the view was of the ocean. Our experience was very good, but don't be fooled - it was EXPENSIVE. Breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant was $64 with tip - and it was buffet. I recommend to anyone coming down to rent a car and look for more reasonable restaurants in town. However, they are similarly expensive - but at least there are more choices. Most of the time we sat in the pool bar so we did not have an issue with drinks or food there. There really isn't an entertainment factor so going into town is a must. The bath products re wonderful - "Peter Thomas Roth" and smell fantastic. The temp was consistently in the 80 - 90 - so the pool water was pretty warm - it would have been nice if they had a cooling mechanism to keep the infinity pool cool. The maintenance of the hotel is excellent. The front desk staff could be friendlier. The hotel store would sell more if they found common items of interest that were less expensive. For example - they had a mask there for $200. I would have preferred there to be other items of interest at a better cost. The trick with getting hot water is they mixed up the hot and cold direction so if you want hot water - put it in the middle closer to the cold - LOL - what can I say it's Mexico. I'm 1/2 Mexican so I'm not being a racist - no haters please. The valets that park your car are awesome - very polite and welcoming. From the moment you arrive in Cabo you will be stopped by those trying to sell you time shares - now....we did buy a time share at the CASA Dorada (so next year - watch for the review). It is highly competitive....the airport will hit you first, then the rental car place, and then finally Hilton. In the end Hilton won out as I stay with them often and trust their service. All-in-all I highly recommend Hilton San Jose Cabo.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if you have Hilton Honor points or if it is available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to leave your review. We appreciate your Hilton loyalty and are more than pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We value each of our guests’ concerns as equally as their praise and would like to thank you for your constructive comments. We will most certainly keep them in mind moving forward as we continue to grow and improve. We hope to have you back.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2012

After staying at this resort a few years ago, my partner and I were excited to return to a few days of pool-time in September 2012. Overall, we had a great stay, and I would not hesitate to recommend the property. There were a couple of minor service glitches, and a bad experience in the spa, that stop me from giving this hotel a 5-star rating.

Our room was great: spacious, sparkling clean, really well-appointed and decorated beautifully. Very comfortable bed! Separate room for toilet. Shower stall and a huge soaking tub. Great bath products -- including, thoughtfully, after-sun gel. Two really comfortable bath robes. We had a straight-on view of the ocean (beautiful!) and a pleasing balcony. Housekeeping was great -- towel animals on the bed, nightly turndown service, plenty of towels, etc.

One note: we were on the top floor of the resort. The balconies on this floor have two lights that help illuminate the pool area of the property. You cannot turn these lights off. The lights are totally blocked if you draw the curtains to the room, but if you want to leave the curtains open for some reason -- such as letting in the ocean breezes while you sleep -- the light will bother you. Rooms on lower floors don't have this issue.

A minor disappointment: although we reserved (because, at the time of reservation, it was the only room the website let us reserve using points) a room with two queen beds, a couple of days before arrival we called the hotel and asked if we could be put in a room with a king bed. The person who spoke with us said a note would be put in our file. We got put in a room with two queen beds. I have limited room to complain, since that was the room we reserved, but during our stay we learned that the hotel had very low occupancy (~30%), as you might expect right after Labor Day (indeed, our flights to/from Cabo were nearly empty). Given the low occupancy, it was a disappointment a king room wasn't made available.

The hotel is a really beautiful facilty, and I was especially impressed with the upkeep -- it looked just as good as a few years ago. Throughout our stay you could see evidence of how hard the staff works to keep the hotel pristine and up-to-date: people were painting, changing light bulbs, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning! (At check-out, there was even a man IN the lobby fish tanks, cleaning them.) The restaurants and lobby bar are beautifully decorated, the pool area looks fresh, the fitness center is incredible (fantastic equipment, both cardio and weights; sparkling clean; large), etc. It's just a gorgeous property, aided by wonderful ocean views.

Service-wise, we had a good stay, too. Our name was taken at the security gate, and upon arrival we were whisk to our room and checked-in IN the room. Staff was always very pleasant and anxious to help -- at the pool, in the restaurant, etc. Jorge, the "pool concierge," deserves special recognition -- he was awesome; he glowed hospitality and just seemed to love his job. There were some small touches at the pool that I liked -- periodic 'surprises' like grapes, a really cold towel for your face, your sunglasses getting washed, and popsicles. Nice touches.

We actually were in the mood to be lazy and did not ever leave the hotel. So, we ate all meals at the hotel. The food is expensive -- it's a resort, after all -- but I didn't ever feel ripped-off. Portion sizes were substantial, and I was full after each meal. Breakfast was superb -- a gorgeous buffet (especially by U.S. hotel standards) with tons of breads, fruits, cereals, plus a large variety of hot items. You MUST try the green juice; it's delicious. Service at breakfast was always fantastic -- quick coffee refills, etc. Given the buffet, you could easily have a mid-morning breakfast and skip lunch. We ate most of our other meals at the swim-up bar at the pool (pretty standard American fare) or in "La Vista," the lobby bar -- heavy appetizers. Nothing earth-shattering (quesadillas, etc.), but tasty and filling. Service in the lobby bar could sometimes be slow, especially on the night when a soccer game in which Mexico was playing was on the TV (the staff was a bit distracted by it). Poolside service was also great -- waiters to serve you (delicious) drinks, etc., and a pretty good pace. Overall, the hotel really excelled on the service front -- great work from a great team.

The only major glitch during our stay was in the spa. I booked two sets of service in "Spa Oasis:" one night, a short massage and then manicure/pedicure; the next morning, a facial. As services, the massage, facial, and pedicure were excellent (especially the thorough pedicure). However, upon entering the spa, I noticed that the front desk staff member had a child next to him. That in and of itself was fine, but as the night continued, that child started running up to the nail room and pressing his face against the windows. Then he started running up and down the lobby and jumping. You go to a spa for service AND for a tranquil setting. I want to be sensitive to child care dilemmas of the staff, but given the price of services at this spa, I was surpised and disappointed by the baby-sitting.

My facial the next day was not a good experience. The facial itself was mediocre. The leaflet indicated I would choose among 4 'types;' the front desk nor the aesthetician inquired. The aesthetician said nothing during the entire service. I am accustomed (especially with facials at the price I paid) for feet/hand/neck massage to be done while the masks dry, etc.; my aesthetician did none of this (in fact, she left the room a couple of times).

The very worst, though, was the men's locker room. I was excited to use the steam room. Even though my service was in the afternoon, the steam room was totally dry (not on), and it smelled horrible -- like must and mold and dirty feet. Truly disgusting. I told the staff, and they promised to add eucalyptus (fine...but should you really have to use that to cover up the stench?) and get it running. It was on by the end of my service but still reaked. Additionally, I could never get the shower hot, even after running it for several minutes, so I took cold showers before and after my facial.

So, "Spa Oasis" was not quite an oasis! I will give the hotel credit. After my experience, I spoke with a hotel manager about what happened. Service recovery was very strong. She listened, took notes, and promised to get back with the next day since the spa director was not on duty. The next morning, she followed-up with me, and I also met the spa director. All were very, very apologetic, and the hotel ended up removing one of the spa services from my bill. I still would have preferred to have a great experience in the spa, of course, but given what happened, I appreciated the strong service recovery and I did feel like the hotel was genuinely apologetic and disappointed that I wasn't totally satisfied.

All in all, it was not an absolutely perfect stay, but the resort is lovely: great service, great facilities, etc. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a few days of pool time, great rooms and great service, with beautiful vistas everyone you look!

7 Thank brmusicman
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your review and for choosing to spend another vacation with us at the resort. Our team is one-of-a-kind and intensely dedicated to providing amazing experiences to every guest. Their commitment to customer service is second to none and we are more than pleased that you felt welcomed and comfortable throughout your stay. We are sorry that your spa treatments were not what you had imagined but it sounds as though the manager and spa director were able to help make things right. We hope to see you both again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,660 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,078 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!