“Almost great hotel”

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Great resort hotel with great and spacious rooms and excellent amenities. There are two pools, one in front of the main hotel and the other one to the side which is less frequented and more relaxing. Only downside there, they have to carry the drinks all the way from the other bar, so you end up waiting 1--15 minutes for a drink. The hotel bar is nice with a big outside area overlooking the main pool and the beach. There is not a lot going on at night, so if you are in the mood to party you better head to town. I was not thrilled with the food selection in the restaurants, even though the food was prepared well, there was just not enough variety. The view from the pool over the beach as well as the excellent rooms make up for this though.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank el_jocho
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you so much for your review and for choosing our resort as your vacation accommodations. Unique guest rooms, suites and amenity offerings are a source of pride for us at the resort and we could not be happier that you enjoyed them. We appreciate your comments on drink times and food selection. Your feedback is very important to us as we continue to grow and improve. We look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have been going to the Hilton (as a time share owner since 2003) I love everything about it!! My only complaint is that they need to have at least some type of entertainment in the bar at least one night a week, maybe Friday nights. I think if they had something in the bar more of the guests would stay there and spend their money instead of going into town. When we originally started going there, they had a female singer that was fabulous and we had many nights of actually dancing in the bar!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for writing your review and for your continued stays with us at the resort! We are honored to be a part of your life every year and look forward to many more. Thank you also for your notes on possible entertainment. We appreciate your feedback as we are continually striving to improve. See you soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from June 3rd - June 10th 2012. Upon arrival at the Hilton it just looked like a beautiful resort. The staff was very friendly from the get go and I didn't even have to wait to check in at the front desk. A staff member took us and our luggage right to our room which was on the 5th floor. Room is very nice and roomy. King size bed that we requested. Seperate shower and bath. Loved the bath robes they leave by the tub. Very nice touch. Room was clean and very well kept. Now I knew that this wasn't an all-inclusive resort. So I knew I'd be spending a pretty penny. That does not bother me the least as long as I am getting quality for what I am spending my money on. Being from NYC I am used to everything costing a lot of money all the time. But this was not the case at all. The restaurants from the get go were no more than mediocre. I wasn't impressed at all! After we settled into our room which was very very nice, we decided to eat at a restaurant down by the pool. The food at this place was pretty good. But that wasn't the problem. It wasn't until after we had finished eating and saw our bill that we realized what we had eaten had just cost us $75 for lunch. My husband and I were in shock. And it's not like we had 4 or 5 different things on the table to choose from. I had pizza he had a burger and fries and we had one mixed drink each. So just from eating my first meal which was lunch, I could see that I was going to be getting ripped of at this joint. The first night we decided to stay in the hotel to eat because we were tired from our flight. Boy was that a mistake. Once again 2 entrees and 2 or 3 drinks in total cost us $80- $85. The food once again was so so. We tried the breakfast buffet which was expensive, but only expensive in my opinion because there was not a lot of food out to choose from. I'm not the type of person to be overly critical of hotels and restaurants. I'm pretty easy to please. I think I was more so disappointed because since I was staying at a Hilton, which I have stayed at many many times before, I was expecting more. But there were some positives to this place too. The staff was probably the best staff at any hotel I have stayed at. I travel often. Paul at the front desk was by far the most helpful. Not only did he greet us with a big hello everytime we ran into him in the resort but he was very helpful in pointing us in the right direction with things were may have been looking for. There is a nice lounge on the main level of the resort that serves food, drinks and desserts from the afternoon to late into the evening. Very convenient but once again very very expensive. For example my husband and I had ice cream there one night after dinner and for the both of us with tip it cost $20. I felt like I was at Yankee stadium. The only reason I ever went back to the lounge was for the great service of Blanca, the waitress. She was very friendly and personable. Always greeted us with a smile and great conversation. Lovely woman. Carlos and Pablo at the concierge desk were also helpful. Booking excursions daily for us and also giving us great recommendations of what we could do in the area since my husband and I are very active.

Now aside from being overall disappointed with the resort as a whole, the week we were there was apparently very popular for destination weddings. There were 2 weddings. The first of which was small and nice and didn't really bother anyone. The 2nd, oh my god!! Some of the most loud, obnoxious people I have ever encountered in my life. Not only did they take up all the lounge chairs by 8 am with towels, they never sat in the chairs. They took over the larger of the 2 pools the resort has and turned it into some kind of party area. They splashed and made noise all day long, left drinks and empty cups all over the outter part of the pool and well as in the pool. They left mess everywhere they went. At one point I never found chicken bones in the pool while I was swimming. Disgusting!! So eventually what happend was we moved to the smaller ( less nice) pool, and stayed there the rest of our trip. We, as well as other guests, complained to the hotel several times. They said they were sorry but that there was nothing they could do about it. I think the hotel should have notified guests in advance of booking that week that this was going to be taking place. It was a huge inconvience. The wedding party was at least 60 people just taking over entire sections of the resort at once. At one point they even closed off part of the beach where this obnoxious wedding was taking place. So not only does the Hilton advertise their resort as a part of cabo with a "swimmable beach", totally NOT true, you cannot swim more than 3 feet into the water, but then they were actually telling people they could not go onto that part of the beach because some obnoxious texans were having a wedding. Not feeling that at all!

All in all I had a nice week in Cabo. My husband and I love Mexico and had never been to this part so we decided to go. The Hilton had great reviews everywhere I looked and I had stayed at Hilton hotels in the past. We were definitely disappointed with our stay here. The food should either be improved or the price should be cut. The service was great. No need for improvement there. The hotel definitely needs to stop advertising themselves as a resort on a swimmable beach. We could not swim at all. Everyday we tried they told us that it was not suitable for swimming. So all we were able to do was go in up to our knees because the waves pull you in in a hearbeat. The location is nice but not if you want to go downtown to go out or shopping. The Hilton does not have a shuttle. Note: every other hotel in that area had free shuttles to the downtown area. Hilton, step it up. You charge enough to be able to provide a free shuttle service for your guests. So only stay here if you don't care about going out of the hotel. Taxis are expensive. $25 each way to go into town. If the bus doesn't bother you, then take it. After we took a taxi once and realized the price, we didn't take it again. Bus was great. Not bad at all. Hotel is not near anything. Not very convenient. Sorry. The thing with the loud wedding was what bothered us the most. To me not a hotel to go to to relax. Which was what I wanted to do. If I do go to Cabo again, I will be staying elsewhere. Most likely someplace close to the downtown area which is where everything is happening. Hopefully the Hilton reads the reviews people leave on here and use it to improve their hotels.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor but my room faced the Melia resort. Not a great view. See if you can get a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tombraider98

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you feel our resort did not match up to your expectations. We take the guest experience very seriously and work hard to deliver unrivaled stays that are the peak of relaxation and comfort. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss some of these issues further – please contact us at Enjoy.LosCabos@hilton.com. We are grateful for your loyal Hilton patronage and deeply value your opinions and comments so that we may continue to improve. Thank you again for your notes and also for taking a moment to recognize our stellar team.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

From the moment we arrived, we were impressed with the Hilton Los Cabos. If you are looking for a tranquil, relaxing resort this is the place to go in Los Cabos. Clean rooms, great food, and incredible surroundings. The service was outstanding, and many thanks to the staff who do an incredible job in making sure you are taken care of during your visit. Particular thanks go to Pablo and Carlos at the concierge desk. Their reccomendations of things to do, and assistance were spot on, and made our vacation that much more enjoyable.

As every employee stated to us "es un placer"...which means it's a pleasure for those of you who don't speak spanish. I can say that it was a pleasure for us to stay at The Hilton Los Cabos, and we look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. Our aim is to deliver unmatched levels of service and it truly is “our pleasure” to do so. We could not be happier that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and appreciate your taking the time to mention both Pablo and Carlos personally. They obviously made a fantastic impression. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We must have looked at dozens of resorts on tripadvisor prior to booking our stay at this beautiful resort. I was concerned that it may be too far from Cabo San Lucas, but I was very happy with this location. We were here in late August....so it was very hot and humid, but it was perfect in the pool or at the swim up bar. We ventured to both Cabo and San Juan del Cabo by bus. That was an adventure. Please do be careful crossing the highway to get to/from the bus stop. I don't believe that anyone slowed at all when seeing two crazy tourists sprinting across the lanes, in fact- they may have sped up. Aside from that, it was kinda fun to try speaking the language and journeying through the towns. I actually prefered the sleepy San Juan del Cabo. If you go there, try the Tropicana for a great breakfast. We like Ol Mole Mio in Cabo San Lucas for lunch or dinner- just go when it is cooler as they have no air conditioning.

As far as the Hilton goes, everyone was extremely friendly. The food was excellent at all of the restaurants. We tried all of them except the Italian fine dining which we'll have to try next time. I never had any difficulty communicating with any of the staff who somehow understood my Spanglish. Everything was very clean, and we always felt safe. Alejandro at the pool was always available for any drink orders or towel needs. I would recommend the dragon roll at the swim up sushi bar La Barca and the machaca con huevos for breakfast at El Meson. The pool was always busy, but I never felt as though I couldn't find a couple of lounge chairs with a beautiful view.

I can't imagine that there is really a bad view from any room. We requested a high floor and were very happy with our king ocean view room on the fifth floor overlooking the main pool. If you go in the heat of summer, just plan on spending most of your time in the resort rather than a lot of sight seeing in the cities. The margaritas and beer are nice and cold and the pool is refreshing. If I return to Cabo, I would definitely stay here again. ....by the way, did I mention that we witnessed baby sea turtles being born in the turtle santuary at the hotel? Pretty cool.

Room Tip: High floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your great review. We are glad you were able to explore the area a bit and discover the true beauty of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Both future and returning guests will appreciate your fantastic travel tips. Also, what a joy to be able to participate in our Turtle Release program! It is a favorite among guests and locals. We are more than pleased you enjoyed your accommodations and all of the fine amenities our resort has to offer. We look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

For a world class hotel chain this hotel left a lot to be desired.The front desk staff were rude and twice we asked the concierge to make resturant reservations for us and they didnt bother to do anything or even come back to us!! We were there over a week and the restaurants on the property all closed at 5pm except for one,which is ridiculous. The vista lounge sells cigars and then allows people to smoke them right beside people eating dinner. The amazing pools are impossiblle to sit beside. Every day at the crack of dawn people leave their towels out on all the poolside lounges & the towels stay there all day with few people using them. We would go down after breakfast &coudnt find a spot to sit.The staff dont remove the towels each hour from unused lounge chairs like other Hilton hotel so the end result is very frustrating.Its a gorgeous location but unfortunately very hit and miss .The food in the restaurants was over priced for small portions and lacking variety.The poolside food was the best. We had better meals and service from the restaurants in Cabo.Overall left feeling very disappointed with the service&the amenities given this Hotels "so called" reputation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Weeksy
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for leaving your review. I am concerned to hear of your negative experiences and am very sorry that you feel our level of service was not up to par. We work very hard to deliver each guest a fantastic experience and nothing less. If you would, please contact us at Enjoy.LosCabos@hilton.com so that we may work to make things right. We value your opinion as a loyal Hilton guest and appreciate your bringing these concerns to our attention.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Was there from 9/3-9/8 service was great. We upgraded to a ocean front room the view was amazing, and the room was very comfortable and quiet. I am looking forward to going back to this hotel. There are not any suttles to town so you need to take cab rides.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your review. We take great pride in our accommodations and are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed them. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Villa La Estancia
#8 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!