“Very happy with vacation with 8 & 10 year olds”

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Ontario
“Very happy with vacation with 8 & 10 year olds”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I used Tripadvisor a lot in planning our trip. Rather than list all of the excellent points, I will try to stick with the highlights along with any negatives (really, there were few).

We stayed Mar 15-24 with 2 children. We felt very safe at the hotel and in Los Cabos. All of the comments re: how beautiful the hotel/beach are, are correct. We had a King Premier Suite (one bedroom, plus very large sitting room - put cots in there for kids, there was a large sofa plus dining room table and there was still a lot of room to move around). Had 2 bathrooms and they were huge. More storage/closets than we could use.

We stayed in the building by the smaller pool (I think this is the timeshare portion) on the 2nd floor (2011). At first I was disappointed that we did not have a higher floor as I know that gives a better view. The hotel offered to move us once a room was free (3 days later). After a day I told them that we were happy to stay. First, the room opened up onto a green space where my kids could pass a ball around. Second, we liked the smaller pool much better - quieter, loungers easier to access, service was excellent, plus it is right beside the fitness centre, parking lot close and easy to get to the beach. We had no noise concerns, the housekeeping was great, the staff is excellent, concierge responsive. Really, this hotel is excellent.

We did experience a problem with lunch one day - it was minor - but the manager called and took the lunch off the bill. Very good customer relations.

I took the kids horseback riding on the beach. The stand is right on the beach in front of the hotel. I didn't negotiate (it was early in the trip and I wasn't prepared!) $120 plus a tip. Was ok but I wouldn't have done it if the kids weren't interested. My husband took the kids on a zipline tour with Cabo Adventures - it was a highlight and he felt very safe with them. We rented a glass bottom boat one day (3 hours - $1800 pesos) and chased whales/went past the Arch - again - felt very safe.

We rented a car from Antonio at Cactus (Tripadvisor recommendation). He made it very easy and I highly recommend using him. You email for the reservation, he has someone waiting outside the airport for you and then they take you in a shuttle two minutes away to get the car. Good prices and he was very fair to deal with. One thing I was grateful for was his very explicit instructions to ignore the people inside the airport who descend upon you once you get through customs. They will tell you anything to get you to do a time share presentation. One guy almost had me convinced he was with Cactus and I had to get on his shuttle - I'm glad Antonio told me to ignore these guys and just keep going until we saw a sign with our name. Based on Tripadvisor stories, we could have been on our way to a time share and lost 3 hours!

No problems driving anywhere - we went between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose with ease. Concierge helps with directions. Never felt uncomfortable walking at night with our kids.

Had a phenomenal dinner at Agua at The One and Only Palmilla - it was $500 but worth it. Ate at La Golondrina - it is very pretty and maybe a bit touristy but we enjoyed it (not hokey like the fiesta parties at other places. Los Tres Gallos was very authentic and the staff were lovely. La Dolce (San Jose) was good. Don Sanchos (San Jose) - ok. Ate once at hotel - Fenecia - was good. The one disappointing dinner was Sunset da Mona Lisa. The view was the most beautiful I have ever seen at a restaurant, but our server was sullen and the dinner took 3 hours. Both of my kids fell asleep. Probably shouldn't have taken them.

I was very pleased with the hotel and with Cabo - would return to both in a heartbeat.

6 Thank mominOntario
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for this terrific review. Great details all around. I’m especially happy to hear that you were able to experience so many of the fun excursions offered in Los Cabos. The zipline tour by our friends at Cabo Adventures is always incredible. It’s just too bad your husband and the kids got to have all the fun on that one. Thanks again for this review. We hope to see you and the family again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
Maryland
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Hiltons can have that feel of a 'business' or 'corporate' hotel with little or no vacation feel to them - this Hilton is the exception! Of course it's location is superb, the views from every where in the resort are amazing, and the facilites are what you would expect from a 5 star resort - spa, infiniti pool, two swim-up pool bars, ocean front cabanas, fitness studio, beautiful public rooms and landscaped grounds. I could go on about how beautiful the rooms were, how clean and well maintained the whole resort was, but this is what you would expect from a hotel in this category. Unlike some other reviewers we had excellent, attentive service from the moment we arrived and for the duration of our 7 day stay - from the gate house to the back-of-house and ground staff, they were all exceptional. After introducing ourselves at the gate house we were greeted by name as we pulled up in our rental at the entrance. We were offered a welcome margarita and immediately escorted to our beautiful 5th floor suite with panoramic views of the Sea of Cortez. For the next seven days we were greeted by everyone with smiles and by the second day it seemed many of the staff even knew our names. The resort ran like clockwork and even though it was busy (spring break) and the staff were stretched, they gave everyone the same attentive service, the same feeling that they were really happy to have us there. We felt the food in the Mexican restaurant was outstanding and, what impressed us the most, the dishes were regional and where possible the ingredients were sourced locally. The hotel even had a small herb garden which we saw chefs using. Again, as other reviewers have mentioned, some guests were selfish and thoughtless when it came to reserving pool beds and we even witnessed one family reserving 5 beds at both pools! Not sure how the hotel can be held responsible for that sort of behaviour. We did see staff touring the area and removing towels from beds if there were no personal belongings on them. Also, whole areas of sun beds would be cleared for the day for private events and it was fun to watch the reactions of those that had reserved beds at 5.30am and came down to find their beds had been relocated to a less desirable position! Note - it wasn't cheap but if you book at a place like this then you should know that up front. All in all it was a wonderful vacation and I would visit again and bring friends.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking to time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of the details mentioned and are glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. At Hilton we work hard to make sure your stay as a guest is as stress-free and relaxing as possible. We also provide a host of activities for all ages. This is done while maintaining that superior customer service you mentioned. Thank you again for your business and for selecting our resort during your stay in Cabo. We look forward to having you and your friends back again!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Overall we had a very nice stay at the hotel. Would recommend this property to anyone. Due to a few of the cons listed below, wouldn't go as far as calling this a 5 star resort, but still very very nice. You will enjoy it here.

Pros:
- Pool - very nice infinity pool that is heated and very pleasant. There is also another pool on the North side of the property.
- Room - very nice and clean. The view was amazing (we were on the 4th floor).
- Layout of the property - everything is very close and convenient. Plenty of bathrooms everywhere, close to the pools and beach. Laid out very nicely.
- Location - due to the natural bay, this is one of the few resorts in Los Cabos with swimmable beachfront. We were also looking for something quiet so not staying in Cabo was perfect.
- Welcome Marg's - were delicious and a nice touch.
- Turndown service - nice touch upon coming home from your evenings out.
Cons:
- Pool chair situation: as other reviewers have noted, people hoard the pool chairs. Most days we started at the beach so this was not an issue. However, the last day we had to check out so we started by the pool. We got there at 8:30 AM and found 2 of the last chairs in the smaller pool. All of the chairs by the main infinity pool were taken. Most of the people who had 'reserved' chairs did not show up until after 11:30 AM. Pretty frustrating when you're trying to find a good spot at 8:30 and everything has been hoarded.
- Restaurants (for dinner): we ate at all 3 of the restaurants on the property for dinner and were not overwhelmed with any of them. The breakfast buffet is good, but also pricey ($30 per person). The deli does have yogurt, fruit, and coffee and is a cheaper option. Would recommend going into Cabo San Lucas for dinners, although...
- Cab fare into Cabo: was about $30 each way including tip. There is a bus that runs into town for cheaper, but didn't want to be stuck on a bus with drunkards.
- Drink prices: were a bit high, but hey you are on vacation.
- Bathrooms in hotel room: are set up in such a way that you can hear most everything. Not a big deal but not the most 'private' toilet set up.
- Vendors on the beach: every 30 mins or so vendors will approach and ask you to buy various jewelry or clothing. Not a big deal, after you say "No Thank You" they walk away, but worth noting.

Other tips:
- Bring plenty of 1 dollar bills to tip the staff. We did for the concierge and the staff that set up our beach chair and umbrella as well as the maid staff.
- Partial Ocean View Room: we had a partial ocean view room on the North side. Had a very nice view and a 'full' ocean view is not worth the extra $15/night.

2 Thank DKenkel
Thank you for this thorough review of your stay. I’m glad that you enjoyed your overall experience, and I appreciate your recommendation of our resort. Your feedback is appreciated as well. We offer a number of dining options every day and throughout the day to satisfy any taste and budget, but our neighboring cities also have terrific options. Our chief concierge Pablo is always happy to make recommendations - and reservations - when guests are looking to dine out. I hope that you will choose us again and give us another chance to earn that perfect score. Thanks very much.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2012

had a great stay here and regretted not staying for longer. superb beachfront location, although please be aware that you are actually a fair distance from san jose or cabo san lucas. will cost you $25 in a taxi each way. great staff, although when busy, they were stretched a little.
food was of a high standard in all the restaurants, and the buffet breakfast was huge.
would go back in a flash. good value when compared to other luxury resorts in the area.

1 Thank wearethebryants
Thank you for the review. We appreciate your business and you taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m sorry you were unable to stay as long as you would have wished. I guess the only solution is to come back and see us again. Thanks very much.
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The staff at the Hilton Los Cabos actually enjoys what they are doing. Service was unmatched. I typically stay in Cabo 6-8 times per year and stay at different resorts. The food, hospitality and drinks were all the best to date.
I would stay away from "Aquatica Tours and Activity Center" out on the beach. Privately owned and very shady. Rented two jet skiis for the kids for 1/2 hour each but they were called back in at 21 minutes. When asked why they were shorted the owners said, "We go by my clock not yours". Not worth your time.

Stay at the Hilton, You won't regret it!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the lovely review. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service and that our resort stands out even to such an experienced Cabo traveler. I hope you will make our resort your go-to pick the next time you visit this beautiful destination. Thanks again.
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,318 helpful votes
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed in July 2011. PERFECTO. Comparing this second stay to the first...
Checked in mid March 2012 for 6 nights. No welcome cocktail offered :(

No offer of baggage help. Room was as booked. Ceiling fan was not operable...either was the tv remote. Reported and both were fixed with 48 long hours. Room was cleaned good.

The a/c fan was VERY loud...and we mean VERY loud. During the night, you could not sleep with it on. So, we turned the a/c off & opened the glass door. Then, we had the LOUD noise from the main highway and also the generator noise from the hotel next door. Plus, we did not feel safe w/the door wide open. So, after a few hours, we always ended up turning the loud a/c back on. Spouse reported it 3-4 times and also went down and spoke to 2 persons of the staff. FINALLY, it was fixed on the second to last day. So nice for the next folks that stay in that room. But, not so nice for us. D-. Spouse asked for compensation for all the noise. We did receive one night complimentary. Thank you Hilton for recognizing you needed to make it right.

Grounds were as lovely as before.
The pool chair situation was a nightmare. You had to be down anywhere from 5-6AM...yes, you are reading that right, 5-6AM to secure a seat...or else, well, you might as well sit in the hotel room all day. Even though these seats were "held", hardly anyone was down sitting in them before 11AM. And, again, you read that right...11AM. It was a freakin joke. One morning, I went and sat on a chair with a hotel towel. The chair next to it had a towel down. About 20 minutes later, a rude older man and his spouse...told me these were "their" chairs AND I needed to move. Are you freakin kiddin me? YOUR chairs? I had a hotel towel of my own. There were no personnal belongings down on the chair. And, guess what? The empty chair was there and SO WAS I. Where the hell were you? It ended up not being a good scene. I should have not been put in that position by the hotel. The hotel GREATLY NEEDS to implument a chair/towel system that is fair for all guests. Pool sign clearly reads it is NOT open from 11PM to 7AM. NO ONE should be able to hold anything during that time! Hotel pool towels down all the time and that feeds the problem.

The staff was very cordial...just NOT the same degree of professionalism/attentiveness as 7/11. We believe they did not have enough staff for the full hotel house. At the pool rest., no one would put your napkin down, no offer of a purse stand, a much longer time for arriveness of food/drink, etc. You needed to re-ask for ALOT of things. Food was good, but not as good as before.

Even though we think the pool water was heated, it was pretty cold. The pool is VERY nice though. At night, coming back by cab, no one would open the cab door for our arrival back to the hotel as they did in the past...even though they were standing right at the bell stand. Couldn't be bothered, I guess.
Went to La Vista for Happy Hour several times. One night, Thursday 3/13, it took almost 2 hours for 2 appetizers to show up and wine. Waitress apologized for the very long delay. Assured us, that the following night, there would be more help/bartender. Again, shortage of help for full hotel house, but that should not be a guest problem. No lanterns/table lights. etc. were lite. Just not the same atmosphere. We ordered 2 glasses of house Cabernet. Told us they were out of Cabernet...I sincerely doubt that. They might have been out of HOUSE Cabernet, but we are sure there was a Cabernet bottle standing somewere on the wine rack. And, 2 glasses of Cabernet is what we should have got...regardless, of the price/level of wine they did have. We had to drink Merlot instead :(

They told us we could have a golf cart take us over to Las Ventanas for dinner. No golf cart was available on Saturday, 3/17.

Fish tanks are ALWAYS lite. The poor fish need to sleep, like we all do. TURN THE LITES OFF IN THE TANKS AT NIGHT. We did notice MANY less fish in the 2 tanks from 7/11. Last day, 2 fish were dead in the one tank. So sad. They deserve much better.

Checked out...again, NO ONE helped us with our luggage into our rental car...even though they were standing right at the bell stand.

All in all, it was a nice stay, but not as wonderful as the first. There were alot of problems.

It is just like one of the waiters said to us...the Hilton is a regular hotel for regular guests. I think we will take our business to Las Ventanas in the future. Being regular is not always a good thing.

Room Tip: Turn on the A/C, fan, etc. before you commit.
5 Thank HawaiiKaiGail
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. I’m dismayed to hear of the negative experiences you had during your stay, especially with regards to our service. As you doubtless discovered on your visit last July, we aim to deliver above and beyond with every service opportunity, and the experiences you have had are not indicative of the service and professionalism that we have built our reputation upon. We will address the comments made to you by one of our wait staff immediately. I hope that the comments were intended to express how much we appreciate our repeat, regular guests, like yourself, and not to suggest that guests who choose our resort should expect only a “regular” experience. Thank you for allowing me this response. I do hope you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are still that resort you loved on your first visit. Thanks again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We spent two nights prior to moving into our villa rental in Cabo. We loved the resort and hated to leave.The staff were very friendly and the hotel grounds were beautiful. Great fitness center.
Pack your bags and go!

1 Thank jsburg
Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your business.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Villa La Estancia
Villa La Estancia
#8 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!