“Biggest disappointment of our trip”
Review of DECKMAN'S San Jose - CLOSED

DECKMAN'S San Jose
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: KM 29 Costa Azul
Description: DECKMAN'S San Jose offers a daily changing menu, progressive 100% Mexican wine list, live jazz and great bar! Award winning Chef-Owner Drew Deckman greets you nightly with a culinary celebration of local and Baja California Ingredients. Live Music on a regular basis! Mexican Craft Beers and ample outdoor seating.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We go to Cabo yearly over Christmas, except last year when we went to PV. Our friends raved about Deckmans last year and wanted us to go there this year with them. We were a very large party, split into 2 tables. We had the outside deck to ourselves. We also had vouchers from Los Cabos Magazine which, when purchased, were told there was no limit on using them during the holiday period. The service was not great and the manager/ server was very pushy and not too welcoming. We were told immediately that he would only accept $100 in vouchers per table. There were 5 different families that night and if we all had dined separately they would have accepted $100 per table/family so that was disappointment no.1. We were then told that the limit was " because we use the best food and alcohol during the holidays" OK.... So does that mean they use less than the best at other times????? The food was only fair and the portions were small as we ordered family style at the waiter's suggestion. I think to get us to order more food. However, we really felt ripped off when we were charged for a full bottle of wine we didn't order! One person ordered red wine so the brought the bottle to the side table to pour from and left it there. When we questioned the bill we were told " oh I poured it for the other table" Fine, except they had their own bill at that table and we didn't drink the wine. They would not budge on this and our friends paid us for the wine. For that reason alone I would not return to Deckmans- but as you can see it is not all it should be for the reviews on TA. There are to many restaurants in Cabo to bother with this one.

2  Thank tammilip

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have no idea what all the fuss is about for this place.
We are from NY - no strangers to superlative food of all types - familiar with organic ideals and small portions - BUT this place is a ripoff. Pricing for tiny portions is misleading and hard to understand. Would not go back or recommend.

chefdeck, Owner at DECKMAN'S San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to express your opinion on Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor is a wonderful platform that allows diners of all levels of Culinary IQ to express their opinions in an open public forum. As a profession Chef (now turned restaurant owner) dedicated to persuing culinary excellence and promoting local, sustainable fare this forum of TA can be somewhat perplexing at times. For example a review describing our restaurant as the "Best in San Jose" is followed by your semi-agressive review throttling us for what sounds like borderline-theft. I respect your opinion and as all TA users, you have the right to express it in this forum. However, in defense of my business and kitchen integrity I don't feel that you treated us totally fair in your review.
The 24 oz Sonoran Beef Ribeye (which is our number one seller) for two people costs 900mxn w/tax. Served on two platters. On each platter there is approx 4 pcs of steak. The price is for two people. If you remove tax at todays exchange rate that makes 12 oz of the finest sonoran beef to be 31.50usd pp. I think thats pretty fair considering the quality. Since you did not express your obviously intense discontentment the evening of your visit you didnt allow to attempt to reroute the course of your experience. I feel remorse that you did not have a positive experience in Deckmans San Jose. It is my goal that diners leave our establishment feeling treated fairly and part of an ingredient celebration that is the Baja Penninsula. You did not have that experience, which means we didnt fullfill our goal with you. You will receive a private message request information in order to refund your evening in full Once again thank you for your review. DD

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The 7 course tasting menu is literally a foodies version of heaven. Every course was rivaled by the next in inventiveness, use of local and fresh foods and a presentation that only a food genius can envision. Drew Deckman's skills as a chef and visionary of what food can be result in the most amazing tastes, combinations and presentation that I've ever seen. From the first course to the incredible strawberries, basil and balsamic that redefined dessert berries for me, I had one of the most memorable meals of my life. No kidding - it was exceptional and I've eaten all over the world. He paired it with all Mexican wines which blew my mind - I had no idea that they had wine much less of this calibre. This restaurant should be on any serious food lover's list when in San Jose. Lucky you to be going for an incredible dinner!!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went here only for a few drinks. Great long bar, great service and a bar tender that really knows how to make a good drink!

1  Thank Sara C
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our first time at Deckman's and after one look at the inventive menu we decided to try the 7-course tasting menu and loved every last morsel of our meal. The food was beautifully presented, each dish a delight for eyes and palate. The sauces with each preparation were delicate yet deeply flavorful. We definitely will be back again.
The service was attentive and friendly. Our server warned us that as the restaurant fills up the service may be a bit less attentive, but we felt that the erving staff made up in friendliness for the somewhat slower service come course 6 and 7.
The price may sound high at first, but given the quality of the food and the complexity of each dish, this was actually a bargain.

1  Thank theupbeattraveler