“A new favorite.”
Review of El Matador

El Matador
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: To all our clients we want to inform you that due the low season, from August 15th to September 31st, this restaurant opens its doors only with reservation of at least one day in advance and for groups of 4 or more people. If you already have a confirmed reservation within this time, do not worry, your reservation is still active, it will be a pleasure to receive it. Thank you! El Matador is the finest restaurant in San Jose, owned by a former Matador, Pablo Velez. It boasts Mediterranean Mexican dining. It is in a neighborhood next to the Nun's Hospital. Their Scallopine Marsala is to die for as well as the other items on the menu. Please add this restaurant to your list. I can't imagine why it hasn't been on there as we have been eating there for at least 3 or 4 years. This
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We went to this restaurant based on all the good reviews. We walked through town and all around the art district thinking we would run into it, but finally we asked a taxi driver who informed us that it was much further than town. We would have never found it without him and without the reviews. I loved the atmosphere. We were seated outside by the pool. We shared the octopus appetizer and it was the best dish ever! My husband ordered the sea bass and I ordered the tuna. His sea bass was cut thick, very tender, and the sauce full of flavor. I had the tuna. It was cooked perfectly though I felt the sauce was a tad too sweet though I did enjoy my dinner. The service was impeccable.

2  Thank AnitaS353

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Worth taking a taxi to find it. Loved the food and table service. She made salads and some drinks at the table.

1  Thank christina l
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Six friends had dinner at the El Matador on Febuary 15, 2014. All our food was excellent. Dining in the courtyard was a romantic and relaxing atmosphere. Carlos, a visiting matador who had a lovely voice, sang several beautiful songs from the balcony. Over all it was a great dining experience. This was our second time at El Matador. When we ate there a year ago, my husband informed the owner that it was the best meal he had even eaten in Mexico. They have maintained that great standard this year.

2  Thank Leslie D
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Dinner last evening was wonderful, very charming restaurant especially the back courtyard. Delicious meal, with beef from the USA so it was very tender and coupled with a wonderful chipolte sauce. Sea bass was amazing. Fun to hear story from the chef/owner and Matador!

2  Thank Cheryl3355
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had an absolutely delightful experience. The sea bass was delicious, simple but perfectly prepared with shallots, tomatoes, herbs, capers and white wine. We ordered the chocolate cake upon arrival because we heard it was one of the best desserts ever. I was skeptical and almost skipped ordering it but the comment the "best ever" teased me into trying it. One bite and we were all saying it really is one of the best desserts ever. Pablo, the Chef and Owner, and Carlos, both bullfighters, surprised us with an impromptu demonstration of the techniques and art of traditional bullfighting and a night of serenading. The service was excellent~a great combination of friendly and professional. It was a perfect evening and a great way to celebrate the last night of a wonderful vacation.

2  Thank BannerElkWinery