“Perfect Family Getaway”
Review of Cabo Surf Hotel

Cabo Surf Hotel
Ranked #26 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Absolute perfect location for a family vacation or even a weekend escape. Perfect little rolling waves out front and beautiful views from the entire property. Amenities are good and San Jose is just around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for visiting and enjoying with us the best Cabo has to offer, its ocean. Cheers!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

You never know what you're going to get when you head to Mexico. The pictures of the hotels/rooms could look beautiful and then when you get there you realize those pictures were probably taken 10 years ago and the wear and tear since has been more than heavy.

This was not the case with Cabo Surf Hotel. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were very nice with a big balcony overlooking the ocean. The beds were very nice. Firm with a great comforter.

There's two little surf spots right in front of the hotel. One for beginners and one for more advanced surfers. We got decent waves but when this place gets big I'm sure it is amazing. We had fun regardless.

The grilled fish tacos and machaca breakfast burritos were perfect after nights of drinking and mornings of surf.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms were the nicest. You can watch the waves all day and relax on your balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Even though the hotel has only 36 rooms, we run a continuous maintenance and landscaping program with the staff of 5. We found it useful to maintain the property top notch. I must agree on the best machaca burritos in Cabo! Thank you for your review!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My 13 year old son and I just took a father son surf trip in July of 2013. On the trip we stayed at 4 very different places and enjoyed each one for a different reason. I had read about Cabo Surf Hotel and thought it would be a nice place to finish our trip before flying out of the Cabo airport and we weren't disappointed.
The thing I liked best was that it is located on top of a surf break called Old Man's. Everything about this hotel is pretty high end from the restaurant to the spa to the rooms themselves. While at the hotel I noticed a lot of families with kids old enough to enjoy surfing and other water activities.
This place reminded me a lot of some places I've stayed in Maui and would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice hotel with great ocean access. When you look at the location you could think the road is an issue but we stayed in a room very close to the road that was oriented toward the ocean and didn't feel the road at all.
A couple of my favorite memories are watching my son take surf lessons while I enjoyed cold beers in the hotel restaurant just above. The instructor did a great job of helping my son catch wave after wave. The access to surf boards and good instructors is better than anywhere I've ever stayed. Also the food in the restaurant was very good and my son had some of the best ribs I've ever tasted (see pictures).
If you're looking for a very nice hotel with easy access to the airport and Cabo that is oriented toward the ocean and in particular easy surf this is the place.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room close to the entrance off the highway which worked out fine but I would try to g...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

The beach house feeling of the hotel makes it memorable and most specially to families. We pride ourselves of constantly trying to improve our skills in the different services we offer. We thank you for your good commentary.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We just back from a 4 day stay and the staff was so very attentive to our needs and wants. Thank you Jesus and Flaudia for tending to excursions and adventure planning. Thank you Martin at dinner. You made sure after a day of surfing that I had my fan and cold towel to cool down. You learned my and my wifes names quickly - room venti ocho. We loved that the surf was right there. It is a small hotel but that is what makes it great. Rooms were a very good size. We stayed in a king shore room overlooking the ocean. Other guests in the hotel were very friendly too. We look forward to returning soon. Your new friends beauty and the bald guy.

• Stayed: August 2013
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

We all look forward to see you back, thank you!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just returned from San Jose Del Cabo and did stay here for one night.
We booked the "Villa" with one King Bed and sofabed + Ocean View at a cost of $385.00 per night.
The room was about at the level of a Super 8 with a down comforter.

Overall, if you love to surf and are looking for a great wave(s) then this is the place for you - just don't be fooled by the pricier rooms. They are all relatively the same and for the $385.00 that we payed for our room, we could have stayed somewhere with far better amenities for the money.
Here were the deal breakers for me:
1) the towels by the pools are thin and raggedy. Some with holes, burn marks and all of them have lots of threads hanging off of them.
2) the "high speed" wireless internet is painfully slow, in my opinion almost not usable. Takes literally 5 or more minutes for a web page like yahoo or orbitz to load. I even called the front desk and asked if I could plug in somewhere to get it faster - they told me that as long as I was getting full bars, that it would be the same speed if I plugged in. I was getting full bars.
3) The food is not inexpensive and the quality is poor. We got stale bread with dinner. The crab tostada had plastic in the crab and the tostada shell was stale. The ceviche was overly fishy and inedible. Our scrambled eggs at breakfast were a brown and green tint.
4) for parents that want to take their children; of the 2 pools, neither are child friendly, so bring water wings or pfd and be prepared to chase your child around all day. They do provide umbrellas for the beach.

So, my point is, if you don't care about pool towels, not worried about stale food, don't need the internet and are fine chasing your child around all day on your vacation, this is the place for you.

I'm just saying - other hotels that charge the same amount of money have all of the above 4 items covered..So if you're just looking to surf, great wave - stay in a cheap room and you'll be set.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bridetmc
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We are sorry we didn't fill your expectations. We are constantly putting new beach towels in since our guests use several every day. I will meet with housekeeping to remove any towels that need replacement on an ongoing basis. The restaurant is positioned as one of the top in San Jose del Cabo and that took years to accomplish. I will meet with the chef and take a good look the food and fix our fish ceviche, breakfast eggs and bread. Since we bake bread every day, it will not be a problem. For Internet speed we have to deal with what TELMEX can offer us. This year they have been replacing the network with optical fiber. Their crew came to oversee and prepare for the installation and said it may take a few more weeks for them to reach our location. In the meantime, we will make sure our internet access points and 6 modems get the best of what we are getting. The quaint size of our hotel property didn't fit the space to put shallow children pools, unfortunately. But we got away with the long underwater bench in the back of both of our pools. That proved handy for small children that are not proficient swimmers, but yes, somebody must be around with them. We sincerely thank you for taking your time to call on areas of improvement and we will work on them so that your next visit will be extraordinary.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and had a good time. The hotel was comfortable and caters to surfers and some families. There are hammocks for hanging out while not surfing. The hotel is right on a great spot for surfing and there is also a surfing school connected to the hotel. The surf school was professional and well done. We would recommend this to families and friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will extend it to our surf instructors. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my first review on Tripadvisor and i had to share the good experience we had at this hotel. We spent 3 days at Villa La Estancia closer to downtown Cabo with our 3 children ages 22,19,16 and the last 2 at the Cabo Surf Hotel. The combination was perfect for our clan but my favorite was the Surf Hotel. Our 19 year old spent most of his time surfing right out front and it was fun to sit at the infinity pool and take in the beautiful setting and watch him. Our other 2 children enjoyed the 2 pools. The atmosphere is very laid back and beachy yet clean and nicely appointed rooms. The restaurant is wonderful for all 3 meals. I have never seen my picky 16 year old eat so much. They even delivered his fish tacos to the edge of the pool so he didn't even get out to eat! One night we ate at Flora Farms- not too far and I highly recommend the experience. My last experience in Cabo was 25 years ago and I did not like it. This trip was great and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa G
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We are so glad that your family clan had a wonderful time in the property and with the amenities. I will share with our team. We hope to see you back soon, thank you!