We have travelled to the Palmilla many times, both as a couple and with the kids, staying in rooms categories from the lowest to the deluxe ocean front. The Palmilla is consistently excellent in almost every detail. The lowest price rooms are amazing and it just gets better each category you go up. We have had one room that was small and only had a queen bed. The resort was full that weekend and they wouldn't move us somewhere else. At other times we have always had a wonderful room. We have used the American Express Platinum deal a couple of times and that usually gets us a better rate and some amenities. It also seems like the hotel treats you with a little more respect than if you use one of the online services but we use those sometimes too, pending the prices available. There is one building that borders the "family" pool and it can be louder in that location but with very small children it is also very convenient. The rooms are always beautifully decorated in a traditional old Mexico style. The beds are very comfortable, baths large and stocked with huge fluffy towels and all the bells and whistles. There is also a butler covering each building that will help you with anything you need, we usually just need our door opened when we forget the key! When we go, we prefer the older, low buildings in the middle of the resort or the nicer rooms on the south end. We have friends who love the taller buildings on the north end the best so I guess it's all personal preference for room choice.
Our kids love the Palmilla! The pool is fun with a little "lounging" area complete with bubble jets, a shallow "beach," and a size that's big enough to have fun but manageable. We have never had trouble finding good seats, any time of day, no putting your towels out at 7:00 am. The rocky beach provides fun places to explore and ocean waves though sometimes the waves are too big for some. There are also hammocks, lounge chairs and bar service at the beach for the big kids! Sometimes there is a kids eat free deal that is fantastic. After their third root beer float of the day, they were believers! Without the free food, be warned, feeding the family can get very pricey and drinks are also very high. The adult pool is on the other side of the resort and has a very different feel. A little bit of a scene, usually some "hollywood" types, some New Yorkers and various others, making for fun people watching. We have seen some B list celebrities, but never the real biggies! Again, chairs are plentiful, drinks are expensive. They do have a sign up for a free foot massage every day. It's pretty decadent sipping a cold beverage, looking over the waves and having someone massage your feet!
Outside of the hotel there are some good restaurants just a few minutes away and you can walk far down the beach in either direction and look at the incredible beachside houses. The surfing beach is not too far up the road for surfers or if you want to take a lesson. It is about 30 minutes into actual Cabo San Lucas if you are looking for night life. You will need to take a cab or rent a car. The hotel also has some fancy cars they will drive you around in but be prepared to pay a steep price for that. The restaurants at the resort are good but very expensive. The breakfast is OK, not fantastic, and is served in the Mexican restaurant. There are three bars, one at the adult pool, on at the fancy restaurant and another that serves the family pool and the more casual Mexican restaurant. We particularly love this one, it has the most amazing chandelier and a very cool look. The fancy restaurant "C" has a very city, nightclub vibe. It's cool but not very Mexican. The food is good and they have a sushi area that my husband likes.
All in all, we love the Palmilla, especially when we take the kids, it just a great escapes and total treat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A verdant oasis on the tip of the Baja Peninsula. Where azure waters greet the mountainous desert and the Pacific Ocean merges with the Sea of Cortez. Where warm waves break onto a dramatic shoreline… and gray whales can be seen rising majestically in the distance. Here, the gracious style of Old Mexico - with its red-tiled roofs, whitewashed walls, and idyllic setting of exquisite fountains - is quietly nestled amidst swaying palms, bird of paradise and other tropical bloom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your One & Only Palmilla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- One And Only Palmilla
- One&Only Palmilla Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Palmilla Cabo
- One Only Cabo
- La Palmilla
- One & Only Palmilla Los Cabos/San Jose Del Cabo