“El Encanto -- Very comfortable and affordable!”

El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Pacific Northwest
“El Encanto -- Very comfortable and affordable!”
Reviewed March 17, 2006

We stayed for only two nights before going to our timeshare in Cabo San Lucas, but we thought El Encanto Inn was very nice, and would definitely look forward to staying there again. The Inn has two buildings, and we were in the one about one-half block from the main building where the pool is. We had a 2nd floor suite with a kitchen, and were delighted with it. We paid $115/night, including taxes.
The bedroom was up 2 or 3 steps from the living room-dining room-kitchen, and had a comfortable, king bed. There was a large walk-in closet off the bathroom. The kitchen had a 3/4 sized fridge, 4 burner stove, and microwave.
There are lots of restaurants within walking distance, the Mega food store was a long walk, and we were only there two nights, so we never used the kitchen.
We booked on-line in April 2005 for a December stay, and paid by personal check. There was a minor mix-up and I got an email saying I hadn't paid, but Blanca straightened it out quickly.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank Soggy_Sun_Nut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Reviewed January 22, 2006

We stayed here over the holidays in December 2005 for over a week. Very sweet inn with large pool-side rooms. The pool and garden were wonderful, as were the staff, the on-site outdoor restaurant and the yoga classes offered each morning in the "chapel".

The hotel could be cleaner...after several days of noticing gunk beside our refrigerator had to ask staff to clean it. It seemed odd that with such a long stay our sheets were not changed--we actually shook sand out of them one night.

I was delighted to receive an advance phone call to confirm our arrangements. After specifically requesting a quiet room we found there was major construction across the street, only feet from our window. This started at 7 am each morning. Needless to say we were not able to sleep in even one morning. If staff had told us this in advance we would have booked somewhere else. Every surface was covered with dust constantly and we couldn't leave our windows open...one day it was windy and the dust from the construction site was horrible. I think staff were instructed not to mention this as it would have killed their holiday bookings. We asked if there was a quieter part of the hotel and were told there was not. Since we had already been charged for the room months in advance (weird policy!) we really didn't have any options for recourse. Too bad...for such a cute place to be so shrewd with guests.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 26, 2005

I made a reservation in July. Cancelled it in August.
I have now spent 5 months trying to get my $160 deposit
back. Blanca, in reservations (the owner?) will not respond
to my emails or phone calls though I did reach her once
and she assured me that a refund check would be sent to me.
I have been lied to and taken advantage of. Please don't make
the same mistake!

Stayed July 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed December 15, 2005

We spent the first three nights of our 14 day trip at this relaxing inn. It was our overall favorite and we stayed at six different places. It was clean, quiet and the staff were all wonderful. We had one of the poolside rooms on the lower level and the view of the courtyard and pool, day or night, was great. The little palapa bar has the best margaritas of our entire two week trip and their food was very good. We had one breakfast and one lunch there. The owner of the little restaurant is in the process of building a dinner restaurant across the street so there is lots of dust but everywhere we went there was some kind of construction. This inn was within walking distance of all of San Jose restaurants and shopping. We really liked San Jose del Cabo.

Stayed November 2005
1 Thank Caribbeanfanatic
United States
Reviewed December 5, 2005

I have been communicating with Blanca since the summer regarding our 2006 wedding. She has been very responsive and helpful. She returns my emails promptly and always takes the time to answer all of my questions. I have spoken with several people who have visited the hotel on my behalf and they all rave of the politeness of the staff. I am looking forward to meeting them next year!

Stayed November 2005
Reviewed November 4, 2005

On September 5,I tried to make an online reservation at this hotel using their own website. My husband and I wanted a two bedroom suite for five nights in December. A message popped up that my request was successful and I would receive a confirmation within 48 hours. I never received the confirmation, so sent two emails to check. Both went unanswered. I then emailed to say I wished to cancel (if I actually had a reservation) and would stay someplace else. Still nothing from El Encanto--until my credit card bill in October showed that the hotel had charged $200.00 to my account on October 13 (a good five weeks after I made the reservation attempt). When I contacted Blanca at the hotel (via email) to dispute the charge, she did respond immediately this time to apologize and say she would take $170.00 off the charge, but would have to bill us $30.00 for a handling fee (the credit card charge costs the hotel or something like that). Anyway, I had to contact my credit card company who immediately removed the entire charge. SO BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL. It could be a great place to stay, but I would only make reservations through an agency and not directly with the hotel.

Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I made a reservation in late July for early September. I was told I could cancel it with no charge, as long as it was more than two weeks before the scheduled arrival date. I had something come up, and just called, which is three weeks before the slated date to cancel, but was told by the owner Blanca that I would be charged $15 or $30 (unsure, given poor communication skills by owner) for this infraction. Look at July 2004 review, which offers a similar situation. Stay away from this sketchy operation!

Stayed August 2005