“Beware!!!!”

El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
san francisco
Reviewed December 26, 2005

I made a reservation in July. Cancelled it in August.
I have now spent 5 months trying to get my $160 deposit
back. Blanca, in reservations (the owner?) will not respond
to my emails or phone calls though I did reach her once
and she assured me that a refund check would be sent to me.
I have been lied to and taken advantage of. Please don't make
the same mistake!

Stayed: July 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed December 15, 2005

We spent the first three nights of our 14 day trip at this relaxing inn. It was our overall favorite and we stayed at six different places. It was clean, quiet and the staff were all wonderful. We had one of the poolside rooms on the lower level and the view of the courtyard and pool, day or night, was great. The little palapa bar has the best margaritas of our entire two week trip and their food was very good. We had one breakfast and one lunch there. The owner of the little restaurant is in the process of building a dinner restaurant across the street so there is lots of dust but everywhere we went there was some kind of construction. This inn was within walking distance of all of San Jose restaurants and shopping. We really liked San Jose del Cabo.

Stayed: November 2005
1  Thank Caribbeanfanatic
Reviewed December 5, 2005

I have been communicating with Blanca since the summer regarding our 2006 wedding. She has been very responsive and helpful. She returns my emails promptly and always takes the time to answer all of my questions. I have spoken with several people who have visited the hotel on my behalf and they all rave of the politeness of the staff. I am looking forward to meeting them next year!

Stayed: November 2005
Fairfield, CA
Reviewed November 4, 2005

On September 5,I tried to make an online reservation at this hotel using their own website. My husband and I wanted a two bedroom suite for five nights in December. A message popped up that my request was successful and I would receive a confirmation within 48 hours. I never received the confirmation, so sent two emails to check. Both went unanswered. I then emailed to say I wished to cancel (if I actually had a reservation) and would stay someplace else. Still nothing from El Encanto--until my credit card bill in October showed that the hotel had charged $200.00 to my account on October 13 (a good five weeks after I made the reservation attempt). When I contacted Blanca at the hotel (via email) to dispute the charge, she did respond immediately this time to apologize and say she would take $170.00 off the charge, but would have to bill us $30.00 for a handling fee (the credit card charge costs the hotel or something like that). Anyway, I had to contact my credit card company who immediately removed the entire charge. SO BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL. It could be a great place to stay, but I would only make reservations through an agency and not directly with the hotel.

Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I made a reservation in late July for early September. I was told I could cancel it with no charge, as long as it was more than two weeks before the scheduled arrival date. I had something come up, and just called, which is three weeks before the slated date to cancel, but was told by the owner Blanca that I would be charged $15 or $30 (unsure, given poor communication skills by owner) for this infraction. Look at July 2004 review, which offers a similar situation. Stay away from this sketchy operation!

Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Mark at the front desk was quietly efficient. We tried to tip but he politely refused saying it was all part of the service. He arranged for a jeep rental, lent me his personal cell phone (at no charge) to call my late arriving husband, recommended a local taco stand (great food!) and was just all around helpful. Thanks Mark!

Our towel needs were met at all times (important when you're going to the beach with a 5 year old). The AC worked wonderfully (a BIG plus for me) and the linens were immaculate. The grounds were just lovely, and we were visited by many an interesting bird.

Shower stalls weren't kept as clean as I would have liked (hair collected on the drain not cleaned out). Biggest disappointment was that the onsite restaurant was closed until November. What is up with that!?? We were so looking forward to not leaving the hotel for at least a few meals.

Also, there was a $3/day tip added to the bill for the housekeeping staff. My family ALWAYS tips the housekeeping staff. Forgive the skeptic in me, but I sure hope the $ went to those hard-working women. It's not the $ we're objecting to but that we were never told ahead of time this would happen.

All in all, a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank solsmami2000
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We looked forward to our visit for two nights at the El Encanto Inn in San Jose del Cabo. The Inn looked very charming. Unfortunately we had a travel delay and could not arrive on the date as planned. I called the hotel and asked them if it would be a problem to delay our arrival. We were told that it was not a problem and that there would be no charge for the missed one nights stay. When we arrived at the hotel we were asked to immediately sign a credit card charge for two nights. I explained I had called the morning before and altered our trip to one night. I was told I must pay for two nights and that the fine print explains that the cancellation policy is two weeks in advance. I was told the front desk was not authorized to tell me there would be no charge. I explained I was traveling in Baja and did not have access to a computer and the fine print on their website. I expected the front desk to have the authority to assist me. The owner was called and she yelled at us so severely we were extremely frightened. I called the credit card company and was advised to leave immediately, which we did. We ended up staying at the Casa Natalia which is so much nicer and more value for the money.

6  Thank travelpro2007