“Needs improvement”

Posada Real Los Cabos
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 5, 2006

Posada Real, Los CabosFebruary/March
We booked this all inclusive package with American Airlines Vacations. Flight out of Providence, RI with a changeover at Chicago O’Hare was on time, uneventful. Flight back from Los Cabos through Dallas/Fort Worth was also uneventful. My only complaint with the flights was the usual lack of leg room and the lack of meals. We were supposed to have been offered a meal to purchase from Chicago to Los Cabos, but it wasn’t offered. No offense to first class or business passengers, but I am really beginning to resent seeing the food and drinks being served up front while we are picking at out little brought aboard snacks. I am tired of hearing how the airlines have to save money and by cutting out the meals and snacks so they are able to stay in business. We paid over $700 each, round trip, and they cannot give us a sandwich and bag of chips. It’s not as if you can stop and eat in-between flights as there was barely enough time to make it to the boarding gate on this trip. And, now that my husband has a brand new knee, he will be stopped and searched at all security checks forever. They should allow a medical document to be sufficient if there isn’t any other reason to be searched. Ok, enough on the airlines, that could be a whole other report.
I knew that Posada Real was a Best Western after doing some research on the internet, and since we never had a problem with Best Westerns in the states, it made me feel a little better figuring it had to stand up to their standards. I also knew that it was being offered for the first time as all inclusive, so I figured there would be some kinks to be worked out. I knew most of the beaches in Los Cabos were not swim able but the photos showed a very wide and long beach, enough to get in a daily walk and sunning. The different website photos of the pool and beach all looked good. We aren’t party people any longer, just looking for a place to relax, good food, good drinks and good company keep us happy. The proximity to the town of San Jose Del Cabo was a selling point as well as the mention of a large grocery store within walking distance if we desperately needed and “American snack”. So we were set to go with open minds and to make the best of whatever we encountered.
We were greeted at the airport promptly and after a short wait were escorted to a taxi (actually the taxis are vans here) with 4 other people and off we went. They were dropped off first, at the Solaris (which I’ll keep in mind for a future trip). As we drove into our hotel area, I was pleasantly surprised with the lobby and landscaping we could see from the entrance. There was only one other couple checking in before us. Got the check in started and the minor problems began. The bell boy led the way into the building on the left. He started to pick up the luggage to carry up the stairs (3 floors here). I asked where the elevator was because I was certain I read there was an elevator on one of the websites for this hotel. He said no elevator and we were going to be on the 3rd floor. Can’t do it. My husband would never be able to climb those stairs several times a day after the recent knee replacement. Back to the lobby, explained myself as well as digging out a copy of the email I had sent to the corporate office requesting a first floor for this reason.
The clerk changed our room to a first floor in the building on the right. Off we go. Get inside, opened the curtains to the porch with a view of a cactus plant and bare soil. Told the bell boy this was unacceptable, my husband sat down on the porch and said you go back, let me know when it is settled. Off I go, explained again about the knee surgery, email, long ago booking, etc. I also asked where the refrigerators were because I didn’t’ see one in either of the two rooms we just visited. I was told the refrigerator was $4.00 a day extra. Whipped out my AAVacations printout from the internet stating room amenities include it. The clerk said that was a mistake. I asked to see the manager, he would be there later. I told him I’d return. Oh, and don’t forget to get your TV remote control and room safe key upon check in. No charge for the safe (my husband says that is because it is not electric). We finally get a room on the second floor with a good view.
Two double beds, small table with two chairs, a desk/vanity with a chair, TV armoire with 3 good size drawers on the bottom, clock radio (no reception) and a telephone (no instructions). The bathroom had a full tub, basic Best Western design. Everything was clean, but this room could have used a paint job and how simple that would be between guests before the high season began. The closet was a good size but only about 6 hangers (bring your own from home as I do and leave them behind), three large shelves, and a space below for the refrigerator. We just changed into our sandals and went off for a snack and a drink. I did go back to the front desk, spoke with the manager, showed him the printout from American Airlines and got the refrigerator for no charge. The clerk did not like the idea that I went above his head because he was starting to give the manager and explanation and was told to “give it to them no charge”.
Do not to go to the Posada Real unless you truly want to do nothing. And if you can opt out of the all inclusive, go, if not, go somewhere else. They only had the pool bar open from 11am till 6pm and the lobby bar from 5pm to 11pm. Now this would be fine if both were of a size to accommodate 100 plus rooms, but they are not. The lobby bar had only about 10 seats. They had wicker furniture throughout the lobby, but the pillows were threadbare and the wicker was shredding. And the only thing to do at night is sit in the lobby, no TV and barely audible CD music. I knew there wasn’t entertainment as in other resorts we stayed at, but there is usually at least one bar or lounge where you can just sip your drinks and listen to music while enjoying the sound of the ocean and great weather.
Speaking of which, the weather couldn’t have been better. Sun every day we were there except one brief interlude of fog coming in off the sea. As a matter of fact, the heat doesn’t usually bother us, but we ended up, despite sunscreen, getting near sunburns. Quite a few days we stayed under the palapas in the shade and still came home with a nice tan. One thing I can say for this place is they had plenty of lounge chairs and sufficient shade for those who couldn’t stand the sun for long. Some of the loungers had cushions which were very comfortable. The beach was huge but they had a portion roped off in front of the hotel, I suppose to keep the peddlers out and make it easier to keep clean. But again, this was lacking. There was only one trash can near the beach area and you know some people are not considerate enough to toss their trash . One man hand raked the roped off area every morning, but he didn’t’ pick up any trash, just raked it into the sand and it would resurface the next day, not making for a pleasant site.
Ok, I could live with this because the scenery was truly beautiful and all in all the place was clean, but the food was nearly inedible. Breakfast was always served lukewarm, sometimes even cold. And I’m talking about pancakes, potatoes, etc. things that should be served hot. No bacon, no sausage and only one woman cooking the omelets. The cereal was left out in the open and not everyone has good hygiene and good manners, so even if I ate cereal, I wouldn’t have taken any served that way. The waiters were really just doing a job. No attempts, except for 3 persons, to interact with the customers. One bartender, one head waiter and one waiter at the beach snack bar really made the stay pleasant. And although this was all inclusive, we still tip, but it didn’t seem to matter to most of the staff.
We knew this area was not for swimming so we counted on having a decent pool to refresh ourselves. The water looked, felt and smelled clean, but the pool itself is in need of repair. The paint and tiles are chipping and the only stairs into the pool were slippery and there was no hand rail for safety.

We made the best of our two week stay as did a lot of others, by supplementing their meals and beverages with things bought from the grocery store or going out to eat. But, you shouldn’t have to do this in an all inclusive hotel. We also met a great bunch of people there from all over the US, Canada and Mexico, all different occupations, so I think the advertising to fill this place and moderate cost brought us all in. But I doubt there will be any repeat customers. As I said, I researched this place and read many reviews, good and bad, so I wasn’t expecting a Hilton Hotel. I was expecting edible food and food presented in a clean, sanitary environment. Also we know that some hotels charge extra for “top shelf” liquor, but they didn’t’ even offer a bar brand whiskey. The choice was house wine (red or white), draft beer (dark or light), tequila, rum or vodka.
They did have plenty of bottled water and you could take as much as you wanted at a time. They also had a coffee pot in our room (but others didn’t) and one bag of coffee and accompaniments a day. They also offered room service for $3.50 per person, but I’m wondering what the temperature of that food would be by the time it got to you. They had a mini golf area and tennis courts. A gym(we didn’t visit) and computer service for a fee. The offered a tour into San Jose once a week but it was from 9am till noon where the stores didn’t open till 10am. You could walk, about 30 min., take a bus for 50 cents, or a cab for $5. There was a very large, new grocery store within walking distance also. If this hotel had kitchen facilities in the room, you would have been better off bringing in your own food (but who wants to cook on vacation?).
As for staying here and then going to Cabo San Lucas to dine or party, I think that would be a large waste of money. The cabs into Cabo were $35 each way, I forget what the bus was, but you wouldn’t be able to get one back late at night anyway. You’d be better off staying in Cabo San Lucas at a non all inclusive.

I hate reviews that are all complaints and I think this is turning into one of those. I am really trying to be honest here. If someone had written a review like this before I booked, I might have had second thoughts. We survived and I’m glad we were able to get out of the winter weather in New England for two weeks. I realize a lot of people don’t have this opportunity and I am grateful we can do it. If you have any questions please feel free to email me: MVBO@aol.com

I have also written to Best Western International and hopefully they may have some type of periodic inspections and try to get this hotel up to par. With just a little bit of good management, I think this would be a wonderful spot considering the location and set up.

• Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank mo32

Reviewed February 8, 2006

We stayed here 5 nights and really liked the place. Lunch was the best meal. Everyone very attentive. Benito at the beach was a GREAT waiter. Very quiet place. Clean. If you are looking for night life, this is not it. Beach is great and you can hear the waves crashing on the beach at night. Only negative was the beds in our room were rock like. Best value we have seen in an all-inclusive.

• Stayed: February 2006
12  Thank DGH-MN
A TripAdvisor Member
sacramento, ca
Reviewed February 7, 2006

The Posada was by far not the nicest hotel I've ever stayed it, but frankly it wasn't bad for the money.

I didn't get the all-inclusive package, I'm glad I didn't because the food that I did have at the hotel was not terrific. (The daily lunch at the poolside bar was a great deal for $3US, but the breakfast left something to be desired.) Be warned, however, that good restuarants require walking into downtown San Jose (about 1.5 mile walk).

Staff was friendly although very limited in their enlgish proficiency.

Had a difficult time on most days getting a pool towel.

The room was clean. Beds were quite hard.

Overall, no complaints that would keep me from staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2006

We stayed at the Posada Real from Jan.28/06 to Feb.04/06. The hotel was more than we expected and was exactly what we were hoping for. From the beautiful grounds and beach to the extremely friendly staff. My mother's luggage was lost on our trip down but this did not put a damper on our vacation because of the wonderful location and accomodations. Urbano at the front desk was so helpful. This place would not run without him. The atmosphere was so laid back and we met so many wonderful people. Everyone we spoke to loved this place. Granted the food isn't fabulous but it isn't terrible either. We rated the breakfasts and dinners 7 out of 10. Lunch at the beach hut was great. This hotel is perfect if you are not wanting a party atmosphere but like to have a few drinks in the evening and mix with the other guests. The Posada Real has a real Mexican flavour - exactly what we had hoped for. We can't wait to return.

18  Thank takemetravelling
A TripAdvisor Member
BC , Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2006

We really enjoyed our stay at the Posada Real. This hotel is a taste of mexico, clean, and small enough so you meet other guests and make friends. The service was great and friendly. Breakfast and lunch were great and dinner was good but little to chose from, usually two main meat dishes. We liked all of our dinners. There isn't any entertainment or theme dinners as stated in the advertising and the bar shuts down and 10:30 pm but you can hop the bus and head into San Jose to Shooters above the Tulip Tree and have a blast. City bus is 50 cents US into San Jose or a 30 min walk, cab back at night is $5. The Mega Store, their grocery store, is only a 5 min walk away. If you don't like the hard liquor they serve go to the Mega store and buy a bottle of vodka for $10 and the bartender will mix your drinks for you with your bottle. The beer is Tecante and even if you buy a bottle we thought the all inclusive was still worth the money. Cabo San Lucas is a $2 bus ride and a lot of fun. Last bus back to San Jose is around 10 and if you stay late you can negociate a taxi back to San Jose for $35 - $50. The water taxi in San Lucas to lovers beach is worth the $8 and they will stop at the marina store and you can pick up beers and a cooler for the beach. Overall we would return to this hotel we had a great holiday.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 27, 2006

Best Western Posada Real Los Cabos is an excellent value - low cost, clean, nice pool, beautiful beach. Food is alright,not great, would recommend not getting all inclusive. We got only liquor inclusive which was great if you like beer, Margaritas and Tropical drinks - not high end liquor. One room key max. You get what you pay for at the restaurant, not fantastic, but less expensive than town. Rooms are fine, not fancy. Great value, not a luxurious place but okay - it's not a Hilton. Pool was clean and nice, hot tub could have been hotter. Service at pool was very good. If looking for best value in San Jose, this is it.

• Stayed: December 2005
16  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed January 14, 2006

First off we got a great deal so you cant complain too much but.....they just started and all inclusive so they need work on that. We found some staff great, others just stood there and looked at you when ordering a drink or at pool grill. For breakfast, it was bad. No plates, line ups long to get a omlette or eggs. One girl cooking on a little fry pan! Usually cold cause the flames blew out. I like lots of fresh fruit and there was some but same everyday. Ran out constantly so get there early for breakfast. Lunch we had on beach, that was good and different. Dinner...usually good service but again not a whole lot to choose from to eat. I do not eat meat so some days I would only have salad because they tend to stick some type of meat in everything.
The grounds are beautiful, rooms fine..clean..keep suitcase locked! Who complains about beds? your in mexico you can get by. It wasnt that bad and king bed.
Says 3 theme dinners in books....NOT!! NO entertainment so evenings could get boring if you are not into getting liquored up. Oh and that shuts down at 10:30pm and you pay after that 4or 5US i think. If you are younger and want some action, not here. Older want a relaxing place then this is wonderful. If you want to party in Cabo San Lucas, buses stop at 1030pm so you have to take a taxi back at about 35-50 USD.
San Jose is about a 1/2hr walk. Did it every day. Nice walk, cute shops and street safe to walk on.
Lots of tours to do but US$. To view arch we just took local bus to Cabo San Lucas, walked around then went to marina and got our own glass bottom boat for the tour. Good enough! 20 Peso to get to town and then boat ride was 8US each.
Overall it is not a 4* but you are here for the sun, sand, beach and to relax. You can get by on the food but we did eat out down town Cabo a few times. Drinks, just drink more if you think they are weak, or stick to beer. They do have premium liquor but you pay (have jack daniels and beefeater sitting out for you to see). If you get a good deal, dont complain, take it for what it is.......Your in Mexico.
PS the Cabo airport is pathetic with long lines.

12  Thank Tracy. P