“Stay Away - Can find better at the same price!”

Posada Real Los Cabos
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Los Angeles
“Stay Away - Can find better at the same price!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

I vacationed with a friend in Cabo for a week in September at the Riu Palace, and had an amazing time up until the last day. The night before we were set to leave, my friend got very ill with food poisoning (from tacos we ate in Cabo, not at the hotel). She was still so sick the next day that they would not let us on the plane, and we were stranded in Cabo for an extra night. In an attempt to find an inexpensive hotel room near the airport, I booked a room at the Best Western Posada Real Los Cabos. We arrived to check in at 9:30pm after spending a horrible day at the hospital. We were exhausted, ill, and very hungry. We opted for the non-all-inclusive at $140/night, which we were told included drinks. Starving, we were told the only option was the dinner buffet, free for the all-inclusive, but $16 each for us. It was a sad little buffet of taco fixings, very unappealing. Because she was sick, my friend could only eat plain rice, which they refused to make her. She could also only drink water or gatorade - the hotel had mini bottles of gatorade, but for $3 each, which for some reason were not included in our "drinks included" price. So, I found myself at 10pm walking down a dark, sidewalk-less street in Mexico to the only place in the area where I could get food - a Mega Mart. The room itself was dirty, old, dingy, disgusting. There was no elevator. There was no remote control for the TV, and after I called down a couple times, one was brought to the room. It didn't work. The breakfast buffet the next day was also not that impressive. It did look like they had a nice beach, but that was the only thing this hotel had going for it. Now, for the all inclusive option they were charging $200 a night. That is how much we paid to stay at the Riu Palace, (including airfare) which was big, beautiful, with a gorgeous beach and pools, and had huge buffets with unlimited options. To anyone looking for a hotel in Cabo - choose wisely! And don't eat any street tacos!

• Liked — Inexpensive cab to the airport
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Agnes18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Porltand, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

A great place to stay if you just want to relax and soak up the sun. The hotel had great food and drinks. The best thing about this place is the staff! They went above and beyond to help us and you could tell they really cared. The all-inclusive was great. At no point was I every hungry cause there was always too much good food at anytime of day and before I finished my drink they were bringing me another.(If you like your drinks a little stiff just ask for a double and they"ll do it free of charge) Wonderful Wonderful service!!! The only down fall is the ocean in front of the hotel is to rough to swim in. We could see people swimming in the water about a 200 yards north and south of our hotel but I can't say for sure if its safe there either.
I don't reccomend the town of San Jose Dell Cabo if you are looking for activities outside of the hotel. Not much to see or do in town. If you want action and night life stay in Cabo San Lucas or be willing to pay the cab fare there around $70 roundtrip.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Can't swim in the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank SunnnLover
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Los Cabos for the first part of our trip. It was absolutely beautiful! We stayed at the Best Western the last two nights of our vacation. It's not the nicest hotel and needs alot of updating. I had to laugh at the fact that we needed to keep our room key in the slot by the door to work the electric in the room. The pool is nice and quiet which is where we spent most of our visit. The service is excellent with the exception of reception. The gentleman at reception acted like we were bothering him when we checked in. Movie night's a great idea - if you can understand Spanish! The food for the most part was very good. Just make sure you go to dinner EARLY!!! After dusk you will be dodging bats flying around and "Mexican Firecrackers" (roaches) crawling all over the floor. One went up my leg and that was it! Time to go back to the room for the night! Don't worry, there were no bugs in the room.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beda40
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

We stayed in the Cabo area from May 8 to May 15 2008. For the first 4 nights, we stayed at a more upscale resort in the middle of San Jose and San Lucas. The second half of the trip was spent at the Posada Real. Upon entering our room, we discovered that we needed a remote for the air conditioning and the tv, neither of which were in the room. We called the front desk and they advised they would send one right to the room. We didn't get it, so on our way out for the evening, we got one at the front desk and it worked when we got back. The food was not great. I've never been to an all-inclusive place before, so maybe it's what is expected, but in my opinion, I would have rather paid for food. Drinks were good and there was definitely friendly service. When a place is right on the beach, how can you really go wrong? It was an excellent price and a great location and how much time do you really spend in the room anyway? I'd recommend it.

Stayed May 2008
4 Thank Tracey274
chicago, illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, the staff was great, very nice and very friendly. The food was good too. Nice basic hotel. It was also nice to have a free internet room as well as wi-fi. The wi-fi was ok in the room, but very good in the lobby and the beach!

My only complaint if any, was the workout room. I was hoping to have an eliptial and/or a treadmill. However, I dont think that others were interested in the workout room.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — weight room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank tgrant64
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

My sister and I stayed at the Pasado Real April 29 for a one week vacation. We had read the reviews and they were pretty well bang on. The hotel rooms were clean but quirky. Our closet door would not open because they had provided us with a fridge in the closet area which stopped the doors from opening. The hotel is older and the rumour is that it has been bought and will be torn down to be rebuilt larger. What a shame. We purposely picked this hotel because of its size. There was also a bit of a sewer smell that you had to deal with. That is all the bad stuff.

The good stuff outweighed everything else. The staff is amazing and I have never been treated better even in the 5 star all inclusives I have stayed at in Mexico. I enjoyed interacting with the staff. They would help us with our Spanish and we tried endlessly to learn. Instead of getting tired of this, the staff encouraged us to try Spanish. The Captain (Louis I think as I am very bad remembering names) was very gracious and I am going to miss him. He pointed out to us that one staff member had been there for 27 years, another for 11 and another for 7. That is hard to find in the mega hotels. The staff definitely makes the stay memorable.

The beach was perfect (too rough to swim) but listening to the surf and watching the waves early in the morning and late in the day was priceless. You can walk for miles in either direction of the hotel. If you need to swim in the ocean, the hotel will shuttle you to Pamalla (sp?) beach three times a week which is worth checking into to.

We also went native and took the yellow school bus into town. It costs 6 pesos. We are not shoppers so we just took a look around and came back to the hotel. The next day we took a bus into Cabos San Lucas. I am so glad we did not stay at a hotel there. You cannot make eye contact with anyone in Cabos or else you will be hit on for a time share. This does get a bit annoying. However we went very early and hired a glass bottom boat to take us out to the arch. Our guy was great and the cost was only 12.00 each. Well worth it to have a boat to yourself. By the time we got back around 11 am the town was getting busy and the time share people were out in full force. We took a bus back to San Jose and were presently surprised to have a busker on the bus playing guitar and singing. He was very good and make the trip very memorable.

We also walked around the estuary and I have some good pictures of birds. We then went to the Cactus Garden just up the street, which was very interesting. They have rare and endangered species from Mexico and two other countries. Good to see and worth supporting.

Overall, best value for the money I have ever spent. Would recommend getting there before it becomes a mega hotel and you become just another tourist. We were never treated like that here.

• Liked — Definitely the staff
  • Disliked — Would have liked a larger pool
  • Stayed April 2008
6 Thank PlayonOntario
La Canada Flintridge, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

We stayed at the Posada Real during the last week of March, and found the hotel to be, overall, pretty good. I have to agree with other reviewers that the staff make the hotel what it is. They were absolutely outstanding! Very polite, helpful, always smiling and joking around. We were especially happy with our waiter Aaron - he bent over backwards for the guests, we just loved him.

The food was fantastic; it went beyond our expectations. There was a lot of variety every day - loved the huge selection of fresh, delicious fruit, and there were at least two varieties of yummy cakes after dinner every day. The cook would make omelettes or delicious hamburgers and other dishes for you. The taco bar by the pool is to die for! As for drinks - wow! The bartenders do not go cheap on the alcohol at all! That was also a nice surprise :) I couldn't get enough of the sangria.

Mexican locals made up the majority of the Posada's guests, which I personally loved because it added to the flavor of the Posada. As for room cleanliness, it was impressive. Our maid outdid herself every single day by creating flowers out of our tissue box and by making bows out of our bed sheets. Please make sure you tip your maid! The only downside to our hotel room - which overlooked part of the stunning cacti garden - was the toilet seat which kept on closing in on itself (pretty annoying!), and the tiny little bugs that ran around the bathroom counter top almost every day (only 3 or 4 critters at a time). We decided to take it easy on this trip and simply let this unpleasant problem slide - wiping the little bugs with a wet tissue each day resulted in their near-disappearance after about 3 or 4 days....

The pool was small and we actually never got into it (didn't feel the need to). Kids seemed to love it. The hot tub is nice but doesn't seem very hot at all. However, it's lovely to lounge around in at night with the stars and palm trees overhead. We preferred to stay at the beach, although the Sea of Cortes is quite rough and you cannot fully swim in it. The beach is beautiful - I'd recommend horseback riding on it, MotoSol is the company we chose, they are just on the way to San Jose (walking distance from the Posada) and also offer ATVing trips & other outdoor activities.

The hotel had an entertainment show on Saturday night by the beach, and the featured dance group did a fantastic job - from a fire show to the Argentinian tango, it was pretty great! However, on the second day we felt like we simply had to get out of the hotel area and explore Los Cabos. We're 25 and 27 years old, and felt the need to see as much as possible of the beautiful Baja Sur, and feel like we succeeded - from snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo, checking out the desert and Laguna in Santiago, to club hopping in San Lucas, among others. We just love adventures and certainly got a fair share of them! Renting a car is a good idea to see the North, East and West coast of the Baja. National Car Rental at the Posada is pretty good - but, a word of advice! Make sure you agree on a price in pesos, not US dollars, as we did, because we had to pay 8 bucks more for the Jetta the next morning as the peso currency "went up" that morning.... We weren't very happy with that, but you just gotta shake it off. Still, be prepared to face this kind of thing at other places too, like outdoor activity places (ie: carry more spare cash on you). When shopping, make sure you barter and don't be shy about it - even the Mexican locals advised us to cut prices by 50% when dealing with sellers. You'll spend a lot of money tipping. One place for fantastic deals that I recommend is La Plaz, which is up North of the Baja Sur, and takes about 3 hrs of driving from San Jose (make sure to stop at beautiful Todos Santos to see Hotel California on the way!). We stayed away from the time shares people because those kill half of your day and bore you to death, but, if you have the nerves, check it out as we heard from a lady at our hotel that she made $200 at the Sheraton one....

Our trip was spectacular and the Posada provided us with a very nice home away from home. I actually miss the hotel and the laid back and always pleasant vibe. It is a quiet hotel in the evenings, but you can bus your way to San Lucas where there is night life and action galore. However, as much as I liked (and felt a tat disappointed with some things at) the Posada, next time, I would be interested in checking out some of the other hotels, and perhaps get something a little closer to San Lucas. I fell in LOVE with Los Cabos and I'm sure you will too! It's worth a visit!

• Liked — The beach, food and staff!
  • Disliked — Bathroom condition
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 0kitty0
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#62 of 116 in Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,980 reviews
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#9 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,599 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,208 reviews
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!