“Perfect location, nice beach”

Posada Real Los Cabos
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I just stayed at this property this past summer, the property is small, all rooms overlooking to the ocean and a central pool with a palapa bar. Rooms are just ok, dont expect fancy linens or ammenities but ok for the value. I chose the all inclusive package and its worth it just for the breakfast and snacks/drinks during the day.
Service was excellent, all personnel with great attitude. One of the best things is the location, as its just minutes away from a big shopping plaza with a supermarket, coffee shops and some restaurants and its perfecty safe to walk around.

Room Tip: Choose ocean front suites
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MEM22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a fabulous little resort and if anyone is looking for good value, friendly staff, safe surrounding, clean rooms and great food at the 3 star level your search is over! I came for a one week stay as an all inclusive guest. I'm always nervous at what I will find upon arrival, but my worries were quickly pushed aside at check-in time, when I asked for and received my requested high floor, double bedded, close to the beach room. The porter took our luggage down to the room (a short walk, a nice thing about a small resort) and I was so pleased with our room.
My Room - A lovely bright clean room with a beautiful view of the cactus garden, pool and ocean, only one room away from the beach front suites! (#318) All Rooms here are on the diagonal view so all rooms have a decent view, especially those facing the cactus gardens. The balcony was very spacious with two chairs. The safe is FREE to use, just ask for the lock and key at the front desk. There is a $100 US fee for lost keys. Safe are plenty large enough for an Ipad or small lap top.
FREE unlimited wi-fi (amazing deal as other resorts charge or limit the wifi to 30 minutes per room!). Signal for wif-fi reached all areas of resort, including rooms, pool and beach loungers. You are given 2 bottles of water upon arrival and asked to please refill as needed at the many many water machine refill stations throughout the resort - excellent idea. These stations are EVERYWHERE, as well plastic cups are available. Maid service is good, i left a $2 tip each day, rooms usually cleaned between 10 am to 2 pm. Ask for an extra room key to leave in your room if you want the AC to run while you are away, then you can leave key in the slot by the door. This is also needed to run the TV set (modern LCD TVs) Each bed had a modern thick pillow top mattress on it which was very comfortable to sleep on! I have been to Mexico over 10 times and I have never had such a comfortable mattress!
Keys are the card type with the holes punched in it - see my pictures
Food - I really enjoyed the food. Breakfast was excellent. Lots of fresh fruit, made to order eggs and omelet station and nice cookies with jam to have with your coffee after. Lunch was available in the restaurant or by the poolside and I always at by poolside. See the menu in my pictures. All inclusives don't pay of course! I either ate at my lounger on the beach or at one of the tables by the pool. Since I am a vegetarian, the cook was great adapting things like making bean and cheese tacos instead of meat ones and grilled cheese sandwiches. The nachos were amazing and the guacamole and salsa was SO fresh! The waiters were so nice and polite! Dinner always had something and the salads were very nice. Meat eaters will be happy as there are always fresh to order meats to grill. Different Theme every night (see picture)
Beach - Beautiful HUGE beach. Plenty of loungers and palapa huts for all, I dont know if it was just because it was off season, but we had our choice of loungers no matter what time of the day. If you look at the ocean and turn right you can walk towards Cabo San Lucas and if your turn left you can walk for a long time and finally get to the Holiday Inn and the bird estuary. Beware - this is NOT a swimming beach! The surf here is dangerous, strong swimmer can play in the surf but it can be dangerous. Waves can pull you in and take you away. Beautiful sunrises in the morning.
Entertainment - Each evening there is live music with a singer or there is 2 karokee nights. Nothing special, but nice music, some dancing. Bar remains open to 11:00 pm and then resort becomes very quiet, which was nice for me, but if you want a wild party, you have to look elsewhere.
Pool - Very very nice pool, very warm temperature so easy to get into, swim up bar, kiddie pool separate which is nice. Sometimes got a game of pool volleyball going ourselves, but there is no organized activities of any sort. There is a nice beach volleyball court too, but must organize games yourself. Also one tennis court and mini golf course. Nice music playing, not blaring too loud.
Location - right in the heart of the hotel zone, about a 5 to 7 minute walk to the MEGA store, turn left when you get to the main road, it is almost across from the Barcelo resort. to walk to the town of San Jose del Cabo turn right and follow the signs. It takes about 25 minutes or flag down a white or yellow bus that says "CENTRO or SAN JOSE" on it. cost is 10 pesos. very easy and fun.
One of the best things about this resort was there were NO time share people! NONE. I understood from meeting others on an excursion I went on that in other resorts they were constantly being bothered by time share sharks.
In conclusion, if you come expecting 5 star surrounding and service you will be disappointed, but if you come expecting a solid, clean 3 star resort with decent rooms, service and food you will be very pleased and have a great week!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
17  Thank Salsajo
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Okay so my boyfriend and I planned this trip on a tight budget and couldn't be more pleased. If you read some of the more negative reviews on this property keep in mind the expectations people sometimes have based on what they think they are entitled to.
In regards to the rooms, they were definitely clean and comfortable. If you want to get picky the tiles in the bathrooms could use some work but definitely not a reason not to stay here.
My boyfriend and I purchased the all inclusive and it was definitely worth it. The buffet theme changes every night. The food lacked colorful displays and garnishes but was delicious and full of flavor and worth what we paid! The food available at the pool was perfect for lounging all day and really getting you into vacation mode. I'd recommend the beef tacos YUM! The bar menu was somewhat limited but I found myself quite happy on endless blended Pina coladas and margaritas.
The workers contrary to what others have said are VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL! If i had to tell you one reason why I would suggest you stay here it would be because of the hardworking staff. I didn't get all the names of everyone that served my boyfriend and I but I can tell you not one of them ever seemed lazy or unhappy to help us.

We are from California and are hard working professionals on a tight budget. WE stayed here for 1 week and spent less than 1k total including our airfare and transportation to and from the airport. We stayed completely on property for entertainment food and drinks. There isn't much going on right outside of this property other than a huge grocery store with some other small shops but that was fine with us. If you want a vacation to Mexico that is quiet, relaxed and will offer you quality time with a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband best friend whatever then this is a good place to consider!

The one comment I will make to the hotel is actually not about the staff but about the pool which is beautiful and a good size. I would like to see the bar area cleaned up a little more at the pool bar as well as some of the tiles to be fixed. The pool bar area inside the pool is in need of some work and did appear to be slightly dirty in some areas but again other than that I RECOMMEND this PROPERTY!

P.S this was a gay friendly property. Not suggesting that you are jumping all over each other but as a gay couple we never felt uncomfortable being close as couples tend to be.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank eaquino1265
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I read a review that said this place was older...and it is...that the food wasn't that good and it was all gone within a short amount of time. the food was wonderful. amazing....and there was plenty of it...lots of variety. we got talked into going to see one of the fancy hotels overlooking cabos san lucas.....with land's end in the background. the food there was terrible at the fancy place. and it was a time share. we got stuck listening to them for way more than the hour and a half they promised.
this hotel you could play tennis or swim or walk up and down the beach or walk into town. they have a bar you can swim up to...kinda cute but we never tried it out. they have entertainment in the lobby and the staff was nice.
we even took a yoga class on the beach the last morning we were there. mexico is beautiful. it was a very nice holiday. they have a huge cactus garden in the center of their hotel. birds like it. I have lots of sunrise and sunset pictures of the beach. it felt very safe there. family friendly and they didn't party all night long and hard in the lobby so sleep was always good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Fran L
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at the Posada Real Los Cabos June 30 to July 6. Three couples - we had a blast! The hotel is right on the beach and is very relaxing. We did ask for the mattress topper to soften up the bed - which I recommend if you don't like it really firm. They have palapas and lounge chairs for everyone. The pool is very nice. We really enjoyed the food - enough choices to take care of everyone. The drinks are not the greatest but we bought beer at the store nearby and walked to town a couple of times as well. It's a short walk to rock and brew where you can have a really nice cocktail or beer and on Friday and Saturday nights they have live bands. We loved it! I would recommend staying here and venturing out a bit. MIght be worth getting a rental car if it doesn't cost too much. It about $40 to get to cabo in a cab - they do have a rental car place on site for $60 a day which we took advantage of one day. If you want a quiet place on the beach, with good food and basic services, I would recommend the Posada. and the staff was great!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the ocean - it was beautiful!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michelle A
Reviewed July 13, 2013

A cozy hotel for those who want to escape the craziness of bigger hotels. This is NOT for you if you like the all-day entertainment staff ("c'mon everybody let's play volleyBALLL!"), lip-synched "shows", kid/teen camps of other hotels; there is none of that here. Instead you get one small pool, a beautiful cactus garden, one small buffet restaurant with excellent food (always at least one item cooked to order available), and pleasant service. There is live music for a couple of hours each night in the lobby. The rooms are indeed plain and could use a makeover, but why are you in your room when there is so much to enjoy outside? The pool area could use a wee bit of organizing in terms of towels (self-serve but often no towels available), and while the waiters work hard, we could only get one to crack a smile (Jeremias, super friendly). The hotel is handy in that you can walk to the nearby Mega store (but beware the timeshare sharks that will follow you around inside). A slightly further walk takes you to the town of San Jose del Cabo (a sleepy counterpart to the dizzying buzz of Cabo San Lucas down the highway), and a few blocks away is a beautiful and rarely advertised estuary and migratory bird sanctuary.

Room Tip: "outer" garden view rooms face small cactus beds and have a view of the ocean, but mostly...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

travelled to the Posada Real on June 23 to 30th. I have read the reviews before going, there was a lot of good but a few bad. Thought we would make our own decision when we got there. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! It's a smaller hotel and a bit older, but who cares!! I loved that it was small and it definitly didn't bother that it was a older. Rooms we nice and clean, air conditioner works wonderful. Bed was good was comfy.
Food was great. They only have the one dining area for everything. And yes there may be some same food every day, but they do try to make different food every day also. And it is very tasty. Our waiter Jerimahia was awesome. Thank you for everything!The pool taco stand is awesome! Lots of variety on everything.
lobby bar was good, a bit busy at times but still good. Pool swim up bar is great. A big shout-out to Francisco the bartender at the pool bar,,, he is such a great guy, and is always there to take care of you!! Makes great drinks, not to strong,,, just enuf. We hope to see you again soon!!
There was no nightly entertainment when we were there, maybe cuz it was pretty slow, but we didnt mind. Made our own entertainment.
All in all, it was a wonderful trip. There was 6 of us, one who was a 13 yr old. None of us had anything to complain about. We all had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: we stayed on the lower floor, so we could have 3 rooms together. our rooms were good, can't comm...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family