“Relaxing Vacation”

Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Brandon, Canada
“Relaxing Vacation”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have travelled to many places and stayed in resorts that were a 5 star to a 3.5 star and would rate this a 4 star inmost parts, the rooms a 3 star. This was our first trip to Cabo and loved it! We enjoyed our stay at the Posada Real very much. It is a small resort ( which I prefer), The staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome. I read where some people thought the front desk staff were unhelpful. No, I think the language barrier was probably the problem, you are in Mexico, Si! Some reviews say the drinks are watered down... no way! I personally can attest to that! Our room was on the main floor to the east of the building, very quiet, except the talking in the hallways, which seemed to quiet down around 10:00 or so. Bring earplugs, then you won't have to worry about it! The rooms are somewhat dated, the beds are very hard, but just ask for a foam pad at the front desk, I think they are getting new beds in, as we saw a pile of the old ones out back. The rooms could also do with some new shower curtains, as the ones they have are to short and water goes everywhere .The maid service was very good! I brought my own facecloth, but did not need to. We were pleasantly surprised at the pool- swim up bar, warm pool, pool next to beach and no shortage of pool chairs or palapas. Food and drinks were served to you right at your chair on the beach by a wonderful waiter named Bonito. They make the best hamburgers and club sandwiches at the beach hut. The main buffet, had very good food also, not a large selection, but was always enough! The chocolate cake is to die for. There is no swimming in the ocean as there are huge waves and an undertow. Nice to watch. The only bad thing I have to say is about the poker night at the beach, it is a bit of a rip off. They make you buy in , but you don't get any winnings back. They give away a couple of trips instead, and if you (WIN) you must pay the taxes up front, both people who won were not sure if its on the up and up! Take the bus into Cabo San Lucas, the marina is something to see. But watch out for the vendors wanting to sell trips for fishing, etc., they are a pain in the keester. Overall we had a great time and we highly recommend this place. We'll be back again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Brandonbandits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Front desk staff very unhelpful. Arrived at 11am we were allowed into our room but were denied our all inclusive bracelets until 1pm! Everyone else that arrived at the same time were allowed their bracelets except us! spent $60at poolside bar, complained but got no results or compensation. Food was average beds were rock hard. Other than the front desk staff all other staff were exceptional, Benito, Ismael and Krista are fabulous. Beach was very good as well as the grounds

Room Tip: beach front rooms worth the extra money. especially second and third floors. all other rooms have li...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Murray F
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

posada was a great vacation. my wife and i went to cabo for the first time and we really enjoyed
our week at the posada real. one thing we did not like was the hotel desk as we came upon some unfriendly and unhelpful desk clerks. Ignore them and you will have fun. beach waiter "Benito" was
especially great. All the meals were good and we loved the beach area. tip a little and things will be even better. if you want a 5 star hotel, pay alot more.and at the airport stay away from the timeshare trap........

4 Thank c d
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall, I had a great time in Cabo, the townspeople were warm and friendly, the weather was excellent, and the few excursions I went on were really fun. Unfortunately the Posada Real was awful. The staff were the only Mexican's I met who didn't make me feel welcome in their country.

The advertised hotel amenities were to say the least embellished. There never was wifi internet service in-room or anywhere in the resort for that matter, and the two computers in the 'business area' were so infected with viruses I was scared to access my email on them. On check in I found two 375ml bottles of water in my room with a notice I was to refill these bottles from large water coolers in the lobby for the remainder of my stay. The food served was lukewarm and bland and it quickly became evident that non-Mexicans could expect little to no service in the dining area, the exception was David who was the morning omelette cook. David was always cheerful and amazed a few of us guests with his memory of how we had our eggs the morning before.

My second day there, a large group of adolescents were checked into the wing I was staying in. The entire area quickly became a mixture of frat party and high school cafeteria. By 8pm I had the TV turned up so loud as to overcome the ruckus in the hallway I thought I'd get a headache. I proceeded to the front desk and asked to be moved to another room in the morning, the young lady at the counter simply threw a key onto the counter and said I could move right now if I chose and resumed her conversation with another night clerk. That was the last time any hotel employee made eye contact with me for the remainder of my stay, their attitudes ranged from total indifference to palpable hostility, save for David in the morning. Needless to say I ended up spending most of my time wandering around town were I enjoyed the hospitality of the local shop keepers and citizens alike.

As I said earlier, everywhere I went in Cabo, both san Juan and san Lucas, I met warm, welcoming, hospitable locals who's company I enjoyed immensely. Without hesitation I would recommend this as a holiday destination, with the caveat that another place of lodging was chosen.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Dan S
raulchi, Gerente at Posada Real Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Please accept our apologizes because we didn´t fulfilled your expectations.

Our hotel has a combination of guest from different countries, basically Canada, United States and of course Mexico, nonetheless we receive guest from Europe, Asia and Latinamerica.

Is correct your appreciation about the water service; we try to be Ecological but we understand that sometimes some guest don't like this standard. In this particular case, our Front Desk staff has the commandment to serve bottles of water every day if our guests requires it.

I will talk with our Front Desk staff in order to improve their services and friendliness.

Again,please accept our apologizes.

Sincerely

The Management
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a very family oriented resort. I brought my 15-year-old son to San Jose Del Cabo for spring break and by the end of our first day he had already met friends. I cannot say enough about the staff! We were treated like kings and queens! My son got violently ill on our fifth night and the next day Urbano who is a manager, had ordered him chicken noodle soup and brought it to our room. He called a doctor and had them bring medicine. After my son still was not getting better, Urbano sent for another doctor who came to our room and got my son feeling better in no time. Pablo and Jeremy who serve at the pool are there before you finish your drink to give you a new one. It was so nice having such friendly staff who knew you by name, remembered what you drink, and checked on you each day. The best food we thought was at the snack shack by the pool. Yes, they actually have guacamole and chips here !! We ate most of our meals there and went out each night for dinner because the buffet options do not change much from day to day. There is different entertainment each evening until 10:30 PM in the lobby bar. Some of it was entertaining, other nights we didn't stick around to watch. Rooms are a bit dated, but clean with a great view of the courtyard, pool, and ocean. Beware, if you like to swim in the ocean, this part of the Sea of Cortez has very rough waters and is dangerous to swim in! I recommend taking the bus while you're there, a rental car is not needed unless you plan on traveling long distances. Taking a taxi can get a bit costly as each taxi has a different rate. The buses are safe and we found them more adventurous than getting in a taxi. We were able to see how people live there and different areas where a taxi would usually not bring you through. It is 3 pesos to go downtown and 25 pesos per person on the bus to Cabo San Lucas. The cabs charge $45 to $50 American dollars for a taxi to Cabo San Lucas. The last bus leaves at 11 PM from Cabo San Lucas back to the resort. We would take a taxi back and we were never charged more than US$35 to get back. Try the local movie theater, that was quite an adventure! Most movies are in English with Spanish subtitles. That is walking distance from the resort or a 40 peso taxi ride. If you are looking to go on a tour, try the Cabo San Lucas Experience. It's a 7 hour land & sea tour. From the famous arch on a glass bottom boat, glassmaking factory, tequila tasting, Botanical garden, nature preserve, downtown San Jose Del Cabo, one hour for shopping and you can pay extra to have an excellent dinner as well. You learn lots of history on this tour and are taken through local streets where the locals live. One of the best tours I've been on in Mexico! I would recommend this resort to a family, couples, or a girls/guys trip. If you're looking for a party all night long, this is not the place for you! There were no young spring breakers at this resort.
I just want to thank Urbano from the bottom of my heart for the concern you showed us when my son got sick and for really making this a special vacation for my son and I. You are wonderful and are great at your job! God bless you!!

Kristin & Saivaughn Carlstrom
Minnesota USA

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Kristin C
raulchi, Gerente at Posada Real Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Kristin,

We are happy to know that you and your son have had a wonderful time in Cabo and Posada Real.
I will let Urbano knows your gratitude and to Jeremy and Pablo your positive comments about their services to you.

Looking forward to seeing you soon with us again.

Sincerely

The Management
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days at this wonderful resort. The beach here is large and beautiful , and during our 5 day stay we never had a problem gettibng a chair or lounger on the beach. The beach waiters are awesome and efficient. The property is an older property , but well taken care of . Beach views from all balconies included. The food was so- so with Breakfast probably being the best meal of them all . Dinners could be really bad or there could be a couple of good dishes provided. We went into town most evenings and had meals that were quite good. There was probably 70% hispanic and 25 % Canadian / US and that was neat to watch US / Mexico Soccer in the bar ,and Karaoke. Really nice experience , would definately return

Room Tip: Don't waste mopney on upgrading rooms , all have partial ocean views!
1 Thank muddman09
Dallas, Republic of Texas
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Want to visit Los Cabos, stay in a resort on the beach, have a great time and do it for a reasonable price? Here it is, in colonial San Jose del Cabo (which is much closer to the airport than San Lucas, BTW). No screaming teenagers on spring break here.

I'd read criticisms online so I wasn't expecting much. But they were wrong (and the glowing reviews were right). From my observations this is by far the best place on the beach- which is huge and beautiful, by the way.

It is the smallest place by far, and designed to seem even smaller.

Everything is well-kept-up.

There is a large, very well done garden- cacti, succulents, and the like- filling the courtyard. Most or all the others use that space for pavement and lounges. Many others even have a wall blocking the beach from view (!)

The actual buildings are set further from the beach than any other place, using the extra space for their own private beach, swimming pool (large, with kiddie pool and hot tub), and so forth. Fewer rooms, more luxury. Lots of palapas and lounge chairs.

Every room has a beach-garden-and-ocean view, thanks to the slant of the hotel wings.

Every room has a spacious balcony.

Breakfast is part buffet, part cook-to-order. Tasty as such thing go. Fresh-made tortillas, one "squash" at a time.Free drinks don't hurt either, though you may have to ask them to put alcohol in them- which they do willingly. (Don't forget to tip the bartender... it's worth it.)

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room facing the inner garden area... it's beautiful, especially if you are gard...
5 Thank Hartrick
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#62 of 115 in Los Cabos
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!