“Cozy and Friendly Oceanfront Hotel”

Posada Real Los Cabos
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed in Posada Real for 10 days in February 2012. This was our first time to Los Cabos and I couldn't be happier with our choice in hotels. We had a rental car and explored the whole peninsula south of La Paz and I can truly say that for our needs, Posada Real was the best choice. Here's why:

* Location:
This is a beachfront hotel along the main hotel beach in San Jose del Cabo. You step from the hotel onto the sand or within minutes you can walk to downtown (shopping/restaurants) or to the beautiful San Jose Estuary. It is about a 20 minute drive to downtown Cabo San Lucas and about 1 1/2 hours to Todos Santos. If you plan on doing a lot of sightseeing, rent a car. Taxi fares add up quickly.

* Hotel Size:
The hotel has only 90 or so rooms. All rooms have balconies. Most have an ocean view. We booked a regular room and were treated to a second floor ocean and pool view (room 210). Perfection!

* Food:
I was very skeptical of the food at an all inclusive and to be honest I was fully prepared to eat most meals outside the hotel. The cost of the room was so reasonable that I was not expecting much. To our delight, the food here was very good... even better than a 5 star all inclusive in Cancun. All meals are served buffet style. The food is authentic Mexican food and the dishes change every day. They have everything from meat tacos, grilled fish, chicken, etc. We ate several meals outside the hotel and were disappointed at the quality compared to the hotel food.

* Price:
You cannot get a better value than Posada Real. We spent roughly $100 USD per day for two people on the all-inclusive plan through Bookit.com. Because we paid so little, we didn't mind splurging on the occasional meal out and on a rental car for our entire stay. Keep in mind that this is a budget hotel and it is Mexico. Manage your expectations and you will have a fabulous stay.

* Ambience:
We loved the cozy feel of the hotel. The guests were comprised mainly of Mexicans and Canadians with a few Americans thrown in for good measure. The waiters are all very friendly and I can truly say that the staff and service are excellent. Thank you Posada!!

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies. Most face the pool/ocean. Simply ask for an ocean view and you cannot go w...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kwren76

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I always stay at Posaada Real a day before or a day after or both surrounding my timeshare week at a different resort. It's a great place and has a lot to offer. I don't do the meal plan, but I do enjoy free alcoholic beverages and a really good complete buffet breakfast, included. There is a tennis court, ping pong, putting area and a masseuse available. This is a very friendly place, on the Sea of Cortez with a great beach near the town of San Jose del Cabo, which I really love. the only thing I was not satisfied with are the beds and pillows....room for improvement. I would probably be very happy staying there for a longer time and I would recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Go for a garden and ocean view. The Cactus garden is naturally appealing.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Okadnil
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Two thing to know before you go. 1) This is San Jose Del Cabo. It is by no means Cabo. If you are looking to hook up, stay out until 3 am, hit the rock bars, this is the complete wrong place for you. Rebook now for a Cabo resort. San Jose is a sleepy town that rolls up the sidewalks at 8 PM. The resort has very limited singles or chance to hook up. Mostly older folks, and people with kids. If you read a review from someone that complains the bar closes at 11PM, they did not read rule number 1. Rule number 2, is you are going to a 2 star resort. If you expect fine beds, big room, and steak and lobster, go to Cabo. This is 2 star place. 40% Canadian, 40% Mexican, 20% American make up of guests.

Trans cabo is the best way to get from airport to hotel. Very reliable. Look on web for them.

San Jose – Mega store (Walmart) is 6 minute walk away. Food, clothing, drugs (legal kind), booze, all there. Taxi anywhere in San Jose is $5 USD for any number of people. Bus is 8 peso each.

Resort – grounds are beautiful with 50 or so cactus species. Take a walk around and really appreciate the grounds. Staff is super friendly. 5 star staff. Ask for a safe key. Be prepared that it takes 1-2 days to get one. Get on the list. Be prepared for this. Free internet throughout resort. Put phone on airport mode and just get internet and e-mail through free wifi. It is free. No text or phone if in airplane mode. Laptops work best in lobby but sometimes in rooms. My phone got e-mails all week. Water – bring double walled water cups. The resort gives 2 water bottles as they want to reduce plastic use. There are 5 gallon water coolers everywhere to refill your water thermos or cups. We did not need bottled water at all. Free beer is Tecate light or dark is a Modelo Negro. Both are very good. Bring a large beer cup with lid. They have cups, but this is easier. Mixed drinks. 2 star alcohol here. I would strongly suggest you go to the MEGA and get a bottle of good rum for your drinks. All mixes are virgin and then they shoot rot gut rum into it. For $15 you can drink great rum and great mixes drinks. Same for Tequila. You can by real good stuff at Mega for cheap and then mix your own. I told you so. SO many people spend $3000 on a family vacation and are too cheap to buy a $15 bottle of good rum. Then they complain about the drinks. Go figure. Food, it is 2 star. For breakfast, I just got fresh mango and papaya and avocado each morning. Also they have 7 types of fresh juice. I had Hybiscus each morning. Just fantastic. If you want bacon and eggs, go to Denny’s. Lunch can be had at the beach. We had caviche each day and hamburgers. Get the fruit and skip the fries. Dinner has about 9 -10 types of items on buffet. Tyr a very small portion of each. Once you figure out what is good (it changes each night), then you back and get what you like. It is a 2 star place so be prepared for hit and miss.

Pool is good, hot tube is cleaned every 3 days. There is a kids side that is 2 feet deep and separated from the main pool. Bar is swim up or walk up. Towels at pool. You can rent a bed on the beach for $4 a day. Kind of cool actually. Beach huts are free but fill up fast.

Fridge is $4 a day, but we had no need for one. Unless you have medicine or kids formula, no reason for fridge.

Staff is very good, exchange at desk is 1$ for 12. Bank is $1 for 13.5. No fees at desk, just walk up and exchange. Tips were 20 peso at breakfast and 50 at lunch and dinner.

Boogie boards at Mega for $15. Water is fine to swim in. Bring life jackets for kids just to be safe. Stay insde the break line. Waves can get awful big at times.

Email if you have questions ----------------

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
15  Thank a11tre
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Got back from Cabo a few days ago, and stayed 5 nights at the Posada Real. Not too sure what I was expecting when I got there, but I was originally impressed with the hotel, staff, and the rooms.
Starting with the rooms:
My only complaint is that there was no mini fridge. Not too sure if that is something additional you pay for, or if no rooms had them. Not the end of the world. It would had been nice to have an ice dispenser near the room though. Having to go to the bar is a pain. Other than that, the rooms were perfect. I was not overly picky as I only came back out there to pass out.
The food:
It was hit or miss for the most part. My friend got food poisoning from an undercooked burger, but I enjoyed the food on most nights. The meat always tended to be a little under done, but for someone that is used to that type of food it is not a problem. Not a lot of variety from night to night, and some food did look questionable. If you are not a picky eater, like myself, it is not a big deal.
Entertainment:
It was alright. Nothing special and everything was done by 11 - including the bar closing :(. They had a gambling night, but it was corny to say the least. I thought I was going to be able to blow some money (or win some), but we were all given 20 chips. Needless to say myself, and my friends did not take it seriously at all - we continued to go all in until we lost all of our "money".
The crowd: a lot of older people. Which is fine and all, but myself, and my friends, were all younger, and this sucked. We were continually game to be out until 1am, but some other people did not like that.... If you are younger, and want to meet younger people, I do not suggest going here, or anywhere in Cabo during mid-February. We saw a few younger people, but it was almost all older folks.
The bars:
There were only two with limited hours. The swim up pool bar was great. We were the only ones that would stay there all day (on some occasions) and continually drink and eat. The inside bar was open from 4-11pm and too we would sit here and drink. The bartenders were wicked. Tipping would ensure that as soon as your drink was finished, there would be another one already lined up. I did enjoy the bars, and drinks, but it would had been nice to have a younger crowd to get ridiculous with; some of the older folks did a good job at keeping us entertained though (and I am sure it worked the other way).
Regardless, I enjoyed my time here, a lot. If I was looking for a quiet, relaxing time, I would go back to the Posada in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, next time, I am probably going to go to the Cancun region for a more entertaining, ridiculous, time.

Room Tip: A room is a room. One lady was whining she did not get the side she wanted, and I just laughed.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Michael B
raulchi, Gerente at Posada Real Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Guest;
Thank you for your comments. Next time I recommend you to visit us in March because we have younger people in that dates.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband and I and another couple stayed 10 days at the Posada and were not disappointed in the least. We had asked for garden view and received both gardent view and ocean view from our 3rd floor room. Rooms were fine, I won't complain about hard beds like alot of people do, because ours was just great. Asked for 2 queens, but we got a king, that's ok too.
The beach is just fabulous and goes on for miles, so did alot of walking and when we weren't walking on it we were sitting on it under palapas or by the pool.
The staff was very courteous and friendley. Always ready to help you in any way.
My hat goes off to "Benito" our poolside waiter, who was always on the ball with drinks or food. Amazing how he always remembers what you've been drinking. Thanks again, Benito, we hope to see you next year!
Our vacation went by so fast, but we will, no doubt about it, return to the Posada as we had no complaints about anything.

Room Tip: Email hotel staff and confirm your stay about a week before your go. Always helps with communicatio...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Suzayne

Dear Guest;

Thank you so much. Benito will be glad to know about your comments, as all our staff.
Looking forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I have been a great supporter of the Posada Real and have stayed many times. With people like Benito, Ishmael, Jose, Ezequiel, Lucio, Luis, Ramon and many others working so hard to make our vacations wonderful. Yet, this year I would have to say I was sooooo disappointed in the food, I checked out and went to the Presidente. There was cold food at every meal in the buffet, tasteless chicken, broccoli and lettuce for breakfast?, please!! No bacon, no sausage at breakfast. Dinner would have some kind of over chopped lettuce, and rarely if ever, salad dressing, the dinner buns were rock hard, and stuck to the napkin at the bottom of the warming pan. They ran out of white wine!!! The final straw was the new "Food and Beverage" manager tried to charge me 5 pesos for a bottle of water. Guess he hasnt heard of all-inclusive. I wouldnt have taken it so badly but he was rude about it. Checked out the next morning. After 6 visits to the Posada, and never a complaint before, I can only say, hopefully they get their act together. For 20 dollars a nite more at the Presidente we were feed like royalty, and had much nicer rooms, and plenty of activities on site...the difference was like nite and day.

Room Tip: Pick the ocean front rooms they have bigger decks and if you are lucky enough to get a ground floor...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank bcsgal
raulchi, Gerente at Posada Real Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear Guest;
Our apologizes if this time we couldn't comply with your expectations.
We have sent your comments to our Chef in order to be attentive with the temperature of the food and variaty.
We just hope that in the future you can give us the opportunity to have you again as our guest.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed at the Posado Real for four nights in January 2012.

We had a couple margaritas as soon as we unloaded our stuff in our room. Then we headed over to Zippers by cab. We were only at Zippers about 10 minutes when I had to come home. I went right to bed (about 6 pm) and fell asleep at 1:30 am. I was out cold. When I woke up I felt so ill I made myself sick. My partner stayed out about a half hour longer than I and our friend said he couldn't even walk. He was taken to our friend's house where he was out cold in seconds. He woke up and was sick in the morning. Neither of us had anything else to drink except what we got from the bar at the Posado...so whats up with that? I felt sick on and off for almost a full week. Not enough to vomit...but I couldn't drink. We met several of our friends at Zippers, they were staying in other hotels, and none of them were sick. Not a good start to our vacation.

Besides that, not a bad place for the price. The food is the same every day at the buffet, there is only the buffet or the beach snack bar. Always bees around the food, especialy the syrup...and no one bothers to clean the dispensers. At the beace snack bar you have to order and then a waiter delivers...but he delivers to the beach so that is good. A friend came to the hotel to have breakfast with us and he was charged $16 American, which is way over price for what is there. The staff around the food spends more time chatting among themselves than cleaning up or serving. At one point I had to ask a staff member to "excuse me" so that he would get out of the way so I could get some food. Whoever is managing this hotel should have a good talk with their staff and then start keeping an eye on them. I am sure other locals would like to have these jobs.

The rooms are ok. Once again, I am rating this a 2 so what do you expect. The rooms were clean enough, but nothing fancy...no bedskirts...exposed box springs. Our room faced the garden and had a partial ocean view. The sound of the surf at night was nice. A coat of fresh colorful paint inside the rooms would do the place some good...and new bedding would go a long way. A few inexpensive upgrades and it could be a 3 Star.

Entertainment? An organ player is all you get...but he is ok and does a nice enough job.

One pool, not heated. The beach is great, but not warm...but you can swim in it and the waves are pretty good. You can walk for miles in either direction. You are walking distance to the town square, Zippers Bar, the Mega mall/grocery store is right behind the complex.

Vendors await just past the hotel beach area. Didn't see any time share people.

This little old (probably oldest) complex on the hotel zone has only 145 suites on three floors... I think. So, no crowds, which is nice. You don't have to walk a mile to get to the beach. We paid $60 each per night for this all inclusive...so you can't really complain.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. You can rent a studio condo on the beach, with a few pools, for a month, for $600 per month....10 minute walk down the beach. So we did that for a week after we left the Posado...and we loved it.

Room Tip: As close to the beach as you can get.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reachpauline
raulchi, Gerente at Posada Real Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Dear Guest;
Thank you for your comments about the food and the service of the waiters.
Just like information, every night we have different kind of food in our buffets like Italian, Mexican, Japanese, International, seafood and some specials fixed at the moment. In the breakfast we have a Cook that fix different kind of Omelettes and quesadillas.
In regards the music, we have every night different kind of entertainment, like a trio with mexican music, a guitar and flute two days a week, a band on Monday, piano two days a week, casino night on Wednesday and every Friday a Mexican Show.
The Head Waiters has the instruction to offer any dish to our guests if they did not find something tempting in our buffets.
Our swimming pool is heated with solar panels and the temperatures oscillate the 82ºF

Again, thank you for your feedback, will help us to improve our services.