“Cheap, Simple but out of the way.”

Hotel & Suites Las Palmas
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Irvine, California
“Cheap, Simple but out of the way.”
Reviewed February 7, 2007

I paid $59.00 a night through SkyAuction.com which includes all fees and taxes. I've never been to Cabo, so can't compare this rate to other establishments. My stay started 1/13/07 and was for 7 nights. The purpose of my trip was r&r with no set agenda. I'm a budget traveler and use my hotel room for sleep and a shower, so I don't book fancy or posh rooms.

The hotel is located on the main street, but since my room faced away from the street, noise was not a problem. The hotel occupies the 2nd floor of a strip mall, so view and ambiance is non-existent.

Check in was smooth, but they required a security deposit for the tv remote and room key.

Room was a little small, but I don't need much as I was traveling solo. My room was at the far end of the complex so it did take a while to walk in and out of the area. It also took an extra long period of time to get hot water for my shower (no tubs, just a shower stall), which may not be a problem during warmer months (I was unlucky and found my self in Cabo during an abnormal cold period). Since it was cold in Cabo, I requested and received an extra blanket. Room was always properly cleaned and the hotel area was always very clean.

There's a restaurant in the complex that provides service for all meals, but I can only comment on the breakfast. Bfast was $8.00 and was buffet style with very little choice and mediocre food. I recommend finding other places to eat if you want a good meal. There is a very well stocked supermarket (with excellent and cheap Mexican pastries) across the street, so if your room has a refrigerator and microwave, this is a good way to save money. Unfortunately my room had neither of these conveniences. The hotel does provide a pool which I did not use as it wasn't heated and the weather was cold. Free Internet service using a computer in the lobby area was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Lastly, please note that I strongly recommend the use of a rental car if you are staying here. There's not much around the hotel to see or do. I'm an avid walker, but everything seemed a little far away to get to.

Overall, the level of amenities, location was as expected for the rate I paid. Nothing wowed me, but nothing disappointed me either. I had an average room in an average hotel in an average location, but I paid a (below?) average price.

FYI, I used Orbitz for my car rental and got a rate of $28.00 per day including all fees, but not including Insurance which I paid Orbitz an additional $63.00 for (most US policies do not cover you while in Mexico). The rental company (Advantage) tried to make me pay an additional $7.00 per day for liability insurance and stated that it was the law in Mexico. I would have gone for it, until I saw that the fee was hand written and was listed as 'other.' Seemed odd for mandatory insurance and after explaining that I had insurance via Orbitz and would contact Orbitz for an explanation on Mexican insurance requirements, the fee was waved. Be careful as this clearly was a scam.

Stayed January 2007
13 Thank Vagabond_John
Claudio N, Gerente at Hotel & Suites Las Palmas, responded to this review, November 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate all of your comments and we want you to know that since your last visit we have been improving our services.

For all our guests convenience we have complimentary breakfast during your stay, besides the free use of computers and internet in the lobby, we have wifi access in all of our rooms with no extra charge, also all of our units has microwave and fridge.

We would love to have the opportunity to serve you in a future and show you we can do better.

Hotel & Suites Las Palmas Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
colorado
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Las Palmas is located on highway 1
a highway rated with the most accidents in the world by USA today
the traffic noise is troublesome there are no views
movie theatre is long gone
san jose a once beautiful little community is now a cement jungle wall to wall hotels condos and sightings of the ocean are few and far between. the only thing that remains constant is nice weather for the most part.

Stayed December 2006
6 Thank ColoradoLibby
Montreal Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2006

My room was small, but nicely furnished,air-conditioned, and spotlesslly clean. The room faced the back of the mall(the hotel is located in a shopping mall) facing a quiet residential area.The pool seemed o.k. although I never used it.Internet acces,which could be expensive in this area, was free, and provided by the hotel. Service was very cordial.
The fact that the hotel was in a mall turned out to be an advantage. Any possible thing needed,such as drugs,laundary service,restaurants,or beauty aids ,were easily found in the stores below.They even have a movie theatre.
Best, beleive it or not ,are the two bus stops for public transport, just outside of the hotel. Hop on a public bus, and for a few cents, ride to any of the gorgeous beaches along the Corridor, in just minutes.
Or, if you want to walk downtown, or to any of the big malls, its only a very short walk.
The only negative was the labyrinth of a walkway,in getting to your room.It sometimes felt long. But for the inexpensive rates, and all the other assets, it did not matter much

• Stayed April 2006
13 Thank jsohmer
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy to see that you found our service prompt and our rooms comfortable. We are centrally located with a walmart and many other services within walking distance. We pride ourselves on providing a comfortable relaxing experience for all of our guests

We sincerely appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to having you with us again as our guest.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Suites Las Palmas is a basic hotel located above a strip mall. It was right on the main road, but the doors/windows didn't let the sound through, so road noise wasn't an issue, unless something was open. The room was clean and the staff was friendly, although English speaking wasn't guaranteed. The pool was a nice touch. My husband and I stayed here on the cheap (we got it at a bargain price thru the skyauction website) and we needed a place to decompress and fully relax for a few days before we headed to the luxury timeshare resort and would feel guilty for not taking advantage of the amenties. The restaurant in the mall was fine, but if you've rented a car you are close to San Jose del Cabo and finer dining. There was also a pharmacy and movie theater in the mall. As with most of SJdC, this was not so much a tourist area, this was more of a locals place, a lot more authentic then Cabo San Lucas. I was a little scared making a reservation at a place I could find almost nothing about, but was pleasantly surprised with the result. Don't expect the Ritz, or catering to American tourists, but a basic, clean, decent place to stay.

• Stayed June 2004
46 Thank jjsm00
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, makes us happy to see that we helped making your trip to Los Cabos easier and that our staff was friendly. We work hard to keep our rooms as our facilities clean to provide you a comfortable stay.

Our location is very convenient for our guests, airport is just 20 minutes away and downtown San Jose is less than 10 minutes distance. We have a Walmart supermarket just across the street and many other services within walking distance.

We look forward to have the opportunity to serve you again.