All reviews our honeymoon infinity hot tub ocean front main restaurant minute massage pool bar master suite relaxing vacation oceanfront room food and drinks main pool guacamole crashing waves bottled water rented a car time share turn down service
Reviewed April 20, 2007

My husband and I and our two teenagers stayed at the Casa Del Mar during the first week in April, which was Spring Break. We loved it. This is a small, quiet hotel, which is romantic --not a lot of nightlife. There is no night life at this hotel, if that is what you are looking for. Hotel was clean and staff was great. The waves in the ocean are huge -- eight to ten feet hgh and sounds like thunder. There were a few weddings at the hotel when we were there, which looked beautiful.
We stayed in a suite and were given two rollaway beds at no cost. We had a separate bedroom and a separate living area with a couch, tv, two chairs, kitchen table etc. Very spacious. Big bathroom. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. They helped us find our lost luggage, which was delivered to our room a 10 pm - the same day we arrived; book reservations for dinner; loaned us free tennis rackets; and set up tee times. There are a lot of condos, which are mixed in with the hotel. Amenitites are great.
Heads up - food in Cabo is pricey - to say the least. There is a Cosco on the way to Cabo, which was a great. Dinner at the hotel starts at $25. Food was good but not great. Breakfast - $5.50 for oj - total breakfast for 4 - 90. Our favorite restaurant was the C at the Pamillia. Worth every penny -- entrees - $42 and up. Golf was expensive, but great. You can get a discounted rate if you play after 3 pm.
You really need a car. We stayed for 6 day and rented a car from AVIS on-line for 275 - when it was all said and done. If you rent by the day - cost is about 75 to 100 per day. Driving is pretty easy. There is one road that runs between Cabo and San Jose. Cabo - is a little crazy and touristy. We liked San Jose. Spa was okay. Had a massage on the beach - price 160.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank roswellAtlanta
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I stayed at Casa Del Mar for five days over the Easter holiday. I got a very good deal through Orbitz, more than 1/2 off the price listed on the hotel's own website. I called the hotel directly before booking, and they told me that I was better off going through Orbitz as they could not give me as good a rate.
The buildings and grounds are very pretty and well maintained, and have the feeling of an intimate, luxury resort. On a prior trip to Cabo I stayed at the Esperanza resort (which is 5x the cost of deals you can find to Casa Del Mar -- luckily not on my tab). While the poolside and restaurant service was not up to the same standard, I felt the resort facilities were a very decent substitute considering the savings. Many of the hotels on the corridor are large multi-level structures, whereas Casa Del Mar is composed of a central "hacienda" style building with several four story buildings spread out across the grounds. The hotel guest quarters are in the main Hacienda building and one of the other buildings a short walk away. The other buildings appear to be comprised of privately owned vacation condos/time shares. There are several pool options. One pool is located near the hotel lobby & restaurant, just in front of the Hacienda building. Another pool is located directly on the beach (check it out on Google Earth - looks really cool). Both pools have a restaurant, swim up bar, and towel service. The lounge chairs at both pools are sturdy wooden framed chairs with upholstered cushions. There is also a staffed beach area. There is another pool immediately in front the outlying hotel building, which is not staffed. There are also other pools outside the other outlying buildings, which appeared to be used by the time share owners.
The grounds are meticulously maintained-- it seemed there was a grounds worker assigned for every 400 square feet! First time visitors to Cabo should note that this area is very unlike some Caribbean islands with lush greens covering the mountains to the beach -- it is a very dry area and many of the resorts have very little green landscaping. Casa Del Mar seems to take great pride in maintaining beautiful flowering plants and green grass plots (though I am sure at the expense of the local fresh water resources).
The room was very nice. I believe that nearly all rooms have water views and balconies. When we arrived they did not have any "Hacienda" room ready with 2 double beds (Orbitz didn't allow me to specify so I called directly after booking to list it as a preference). They told us we could wait or take a room in the outlying building. We took the room in the other building and were very happy. The walk was not bad at all, contrary to prior reviews. I really can't imagine anyone feeling that it was terribly inconvenient. Although the room was not recently renovated, as the rooms in the Hacienda building are, it was very spacious and nicely furnished. Although the linens were a bit worn and nubby.
The food was decent. As you'll see from most any other review -- you have to either rent a car or take a costly cab to get anywhere outside the resort -- which you will want to do if you are there for more than 2 nights. There are great restaurants in the towns of San Lucas and San Jose, and also at some of the other hotels.
The spa looked nice but was rather expensive for what it was. Las Ventanas (the ultimate luxury celebrity resort) is right next door -- literally shares the same driveway and is a very quick walk along the beach -- and has an amazing amazing spa for the same prices if not less.
In sum, I think Casa Del Mar can be a terrific value. I was spoiled on my first trip to Cabo -- staying at Esperanza -- and got a taste of luxury service and facilities. While they are not going to be passing out free fresh fruit kabobs and smoothie shots around the pool at Casa Del Mar -- and you may need to wait a while to get the pool attendant to take your drink order -- the facilities are beautiful and they will eventually get around to bringing you a fabulous margarita (did I forget to mention they give you a free one when checking in!). Go and have terrific time -- use some of the money you save to get an extra 30 minutes on your massage.

1  Thank MaggsJD
Reviewed April 18, 2007

felt that they didnt give great service, the pool was dirty, and the food was not great... too much spent making it to Cabo to have this kind of dissapointment.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank ScottTP39
Reviewed April 17, 2007

All I can say is I wouldn't come back to this place if it was free. I was going to stay at another hotel until I read a review on this place on hotels. I would ask for my money back but I get the feeling they get that a lot and would have a stock answer. Book here if you like bad service, unsafe grounds, and don't like fun but like cheesy nothing.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DannaSowsandSurfs
Reviewed April 15, 2007

My family just returned from Casa Del Mar and I had to send in my review! OUr stay was wonderful. We stayed in a renovated one bedroom suite, which was fantastic. The beds, linens, and other amenities were top notch. The pools were beautiful and the beach was great. we actually swam in the ocean one of the days! The only down side to the hotel was the staff. I felt like they were not very friendly and they could barely look at us when we checked in. not the best way to start a vacation. other that the staff, I have no complaints and would love to go back next year. Maybe I would try renting a condo there because there is a kitchen. The other thing is, you really need to rent a car. The bus service is terrible and you cannot walk anywhere! please email me with any questions!

1  Thank sbv123