“Quaint and quiet; lovely hacienda dating back to the 1700's”

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
nj
“Quaint and quiet; lovely hacienda dating back to the 1700's”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Just returned from a week at Zoetry (Casa Del Mar) Spa & Wellness
Their site states that they've just opened in Nov. 09 but actually they've only changed their name and ownership.
The property is lovely, very clean, well kept, landscaped with 3 pool, 2 pool bars, 2 restaurants, and only 32 rooms.
It used to be a hacienda belonging to a family back in the 1700's.
The staff is kind and accommodating but one could clearly feel that they were not properly trained as there were many inconsistencies such as:
when we came into the room, there were no robes
there was a small bottle of champagne, and a small bottle of tequilla only the first day, and some fruit, the rest of the time, they would put glasses and limes but nothing else.
the water bucket from the champagne was not picked up for 3 days straight.
at breakfast time, you would order one juice and they would bring you another.
they would serve people not as they came in, but according to how many there were or what one ordered...
but in spite of some minor inconsistencies that my husband & I laughed and took with a grain of salt, our overall experience was great...we felt as if we were in a private villa.
We had a view of the ocean and all the pools.
The linens on the beds were clean and very comfortable.
The room was spacious, clean, comfortable...
The food in the restaurants was great at all times; very fresh, well presented, tasty, and big portions.
The clientele were mostly from ages 25-70 but very sophisticated.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grskovici

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Just got back from a stay at Zoetry Casa del Mar. There are so many good things about this place, which include:

- Great staff (friendly, personable, helpful, etc.). Everyone who worked there was very, very nice! We loved the staff.
- Location. Resort is not new, but is beautiful. So, so much potential! Lobby is beautiful and view from lobby/pool is beautiful!
- Ocean-front rooms have such a nice view. Nice lay-out. Loved the jacuzzi tub and comfortable bed/linens.
- Resort is so quiet and relaxing. Such a nice getaway!
- Resort has no check-in or check-out time.
- Resort has free worldwide calls (although our calls to the US were dropped a few times).
- Kitchens and chefs were very accommodating in preparing special food requests.

The resort could stand to work on the following:

- No personalized car service to/from airport. This was on the website when we booked but was removed as an "endless privilege" when we got there. The hotel had crossed this perk out on their brochures in the lobby with a Sharpie pen. So disappointing! They also do not offer any transportation to and from other resorts. In fact, we had to take a cab to Las Ventanas for dinner one night, which is right next door.
- Rooms could stand to be renovated/upgraded. A little old and out-of-date.
- Selection of TV channels not very good. So few options! Needs satellite TV.
- Resort offers wireless internet, but I could never manage to connect. Ended up connecting through an individual's unlocked network by the cold plunge pool, and that was the only place I could connect at the whole resort.
- Very limited food options on lunch and dinner menus. Tapanco dinner menu very limited and not that impressive. Overall, food just so-so. We liked what we had, but there was not enough variety. No pasta options on menus. Food paled in comparison to Las Ventanas. Resort should offer lunch/dinner "specials" and change up the menus a little bit over the course of the week.
- The women at the timeshare desk in the lobby were so incredibly annoying! At first, we did not know who one of them was and she kept asking us questions, like "how much did you pay to rent your car?" We cringed every time we had to go by her.
- Housekeeping kept coming at 6:00 PM to do our turndown service. Much too early! We were just getting ready for dinner.
- Fruit in room always look unappetizing. Whole fruit on a flat plate. No "fruit basket," as described.
- Some other things not as advertised (no culinary or photography classes offered, very few exercise classes offered, no live musicians, etc.) Daily resort schedule seemed unimpressive.
- Bath products in rooms just so-so.
- Access to Dreams Resort not a worthwhile perk. We went to an Italian restaurant and Dreams, and it wasn't very good. Also had to take a cab from Casa del Mar to Dreams. No shuttle? Also, no shuttle to town?
- Mini bar in room not always replenished.
- Conflict between condo owners and resort. This is very obvious to guests and the resort needs to address this better than they are. Awkward.

I really liked this place, but it does need a little improving. I hope to go back someday! I also hope Zoetry takes the time to make this place the place it can be.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank mrock0526
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 16, 2010

As previously heralded, my wife and I love Cabo. When I heard about the endless privileges at Zoetry Casa del Mar, we did not hesitate to book there for our anniversary celebration. The experience at Zoetry Casa del Mar did not only match our expectations, but exceeded these measurably. It indeed is a real Hacienda Oasis on the beachfront. Romantic arches surround peaceful courtyards, lush gardens adorn the grounds, numerous fountains and pools accent this lovely place on earth. The resort provides a very high level of personal attention to each of their guests. After one day's stay we had become acquainted with the majority of the staff, and we were addressed viably by our last name. One of the highlights was having dinner at the Mezquite Grill, providing gourmet dining on the beach under the stars and silvery Cabo moon. Tapanco was great as well - still remembering the deliciousness of Salmon Medallions and Fresh Tuna. The guest services staff at the front desk helped to arrange massages for my wife and since that experience making her a fan of Natura Bisse Products. In summary, we had high expectations from the hotel and these were surpassed beyond belief. According to our travel experience, Zoetry has become one of our favorite 5-Star hotels on the planet. My wife and I cannot wait to return there soon enough.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HappyVisitor9
Pacific Palisades, CA
Reviewed January 11, 2010

I spent a very long time on the web reviewing luxury, 5-star hotels in Cabo. I've been to Cabo over a dozen times and was very excited to see a "new" all-inclusive hotel opening in December 2009. I should have known Casa del Mar was one of the older hotels, but I didn't connect the dots. Casa del Mar simply changed ownership to the Zoetry chain, which also owns Dreams next door.

Our driver was waiting for us outside the airport with our names on a sign and drove us directly to the hotel where we were offered drinks. When we checked in, I requested a larger room, which we were provided, at an additional fee. While we waited for the staff to prepare our room, we were introduced to the "concierge." I quickly realized this wasn't a concierge, but the time share desk. We politely declined a free meal, but were approached several more times during our stay. I final had to be rude and tell them WE WEREN"T INTERESTED, please leave us alone. I noticed several other guests complaining to the hotel manager as well. I did not expect to deal with timeshare salespeople, so beware.

In the morning light, it was clear that the hotel was very small (perfect), but surrounded by condos and time shares (not so perfect). The hotel was very empty and there were many folks using the facilities from the adjoining locations.

I agree with the previous review, the grounds were lovely, but the rooms were only so-so. The bathroom grout was old, moldy and cracked. The housekeeping staff was very good, however, didn't refresh the minibar until we complained.

Services at the spa were inconsistent. The massages were wonderful, but the facialist was clearly a masseuse.

There are only two restaurant choices. For breakfast and dinner, the food was fine at either location. But, for dinner, we found only the grilled food at the beach restaurant to be acceptable. The "fine dining" choice was anything but. There was quite a bit of confusion as to which menu was for the all-inclusive guests. Several times we were given the paying-customer menu which listed better choices, lobster tail, etc. Once they took our orders and discovered we were all-inclusive, we were given different menus and told the lobster tail wasn't part of our package. We also noticed it took a long time to get wine and drinks at dinner.

The pools were beautiful, large and clean. The beach was also beautiful to walk along, but not for swimming. You can walk down the beach about a mile and go swimming at the public beach, which is very nice, but a trek.

It was nice to have privileges at Dreams as our son had fun using the kids club. All in all, it was a good vacation, just did not live up to our expectations of a new, luxury resort. Once we arrived home, I checked my AmX bill and discovered the hotel had charged me a 2nd time for over $2000. When I emailed the hotel, no response. So, I notified AmX and the charge was reversed. It was disappointing that the hotel did not respond to my email, especially since they'd been very communicative when I had emailed them prior to our trip about spa services and airport transfers. Next time, it's back to the Palmilla.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Luxgal
atlanta
Reviewed January 10, 2010

My husband and I never book a hotel that's not rated a 5 star (especially for international travel) and try to only stay at hotels recently built or newly renovated because we have OCD when it comes to cleanliness and service.
When we searched the internet for a hotel in Cabo we were attracted to this one because it said "NEW HOTEL OPENING DECEMBER 1, 2009" We booked our 4 night stay to begin December 13th. We were very disappointed upon arrival when it was VERY OBVIOUS that the hotel was beautiful but not new. At check-in we were told that the hotel is in fact 25 years old and part of it (the common areas not the rooms) had been renovated and reopened December 1 under new management.
Our all-inclusive package included airport transfers. When we arrived in Cabo there was no representative with a sign saying "Zoetry" as indicated on our confirmation page. We spent $30 in cell phone calls to the U.S. reservations office trying to find our transportation. We later found out that they contracted with an outside transportation company and this company never held up a sign with our names. We only found them by approaching each representative at the airport and asking if they had our name (there were about 25 of them). Once we got to the hotel, we were greeted by a very nice gentleman that took our luggage and our drink orders before we could exit the van...very nice.
The gardens and outside of the hotel were beautiful (4 star) but the rooms were 3 star at best. The bathrooms were 2 star. The plumbing was old and the grout was moldy and cracking. The showers and bathroom in the spa were worse. We had spa services everyday and the dirty towels and trash in the can from the previous day never moved. The hotel was also nearly empty. We appreciate a quiet vacation but if you saw 10 other people at the height of the dinnertime rush then you were lucky.
The food choices were good but the chef must have been new. The scallops were so overcooked that you could only cut them with a sharp knife. My medium well steak was as black as a tire. The lobster tail was only partially cooked. Having all alcohol included seemed like a plus but the drinks were so bad that we often gave up and resorted to bottled water.
It is a stuggle but I would only give this hotel 4 stars only because the staff was always so pleasant and really really tried hard to please us. They offered to remake the drinks and recook the food but it was still awful. What IS 5 star about this hotel is the view. We could watch the whales every morning from our balcony.
On our last day the transfer company said that they would pick us up at 11am for our ride to the airport. We booked our last spa service early that morning and timed everything perfectly. I finished my services before my husband and returned to our room to dress and relax. At 9:45 the transportation company called to say thay they were down stairs and if we were not down there in 10 minutes then they'd leave and we'd be on our own. Needless-to-say, I could not retrieve my husband, pack and check out in 10 minutes. Fortunately, I had the original document that showed our 11am pick up time and insisted that the hotel take care of our transportation since it was part of our package. The desk staff was quite gracious and arranged a private cab ride to the airport at no cost.
If you usually stay at 3 and 4 star hotels then I highly recommend this one but if you are a 5 star person then I'd try somewhere else. This hotel actually had a "sister" hotel called "Dreams Los Cabos" and we were allowed to use all of their ammenities and eat there at will but it was a 15 minute walk via sand or $5 cab ride each way. It was actually much nicer with more activities, better food, better drinks and nicer lobby. Unfortunately, I never saw the rooms but I suspect it had to be the same or better.
It's also very important to note that the beach is beautiful but swimming IS NOT allowed due to the depth and undertow (such a waste).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fivestarAtlanta
San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed there for five nights in December and it was fantastic all round. The room was beautiful, the grounds were immaculate and the property is right on a wonderful stretch of beach. The new all inclusive program was perfect for us, and included all telephone calls, laundry, meals, drinks and a massage. The adults only pool is right on the beach. Dinner is also served on the beach every night. There are two restaurants to choose from (or room service) and one bar. The hotel staff were very friendly and the food, service and accommodations were all top notch. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. We will be back!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SDtravel15
New York
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I recently spent a week in paradise! I found the perfect vacation spot at vrbo.com/204010. An awesome couple from LA own this condo at the Casa Del Mar Resort and Spa and I booked it through the couple directly. They were totally helpful. I am so glad that I found this, since the price of staying in this two bedroom oceanfront is much more reasonable than a smaller suite at the same hotel. I got major brownie points from my wife! The two bedroom beachfront villa is the perfect spot for a relaxing vacation but close enough to great night-life and amazing restaurants with killer views. Cabo has so much to offer and this is the perfect place to stay. I had all the comforts of home plus two gorgeous marble bathrooms that belong in NYC or Parisian hotels. The flat screen TVs and Dish Network with DVR allowed me to watch my sports and record my wife's favorite shows. Every night we drank wine on the tremendous balcony. There is a great pool right in front of the condo and there is hardly ever anyone in that pool. The hotel pool is also very nice and uncrowded and a great place to have lunch. The beach is wide, spectacular and virtually empty. My wife spent tons of time at the Casa Del Mar spa, literally less than 100 feet from the condo She even had massages right on the beach...just yards from the villa. Becaue ot it being right on the beachfront, but yet integrated into the Casa Del Mar Hotel amenities like its pool,spa,restaurants, tennis courts and golf course --this was a perfect example of the adage that "location is everything". This was our third trip to Cabo and by far our favorite. This is the perfect place to stay. I normally do a ton of work (yes, even on vacation) but couldn't help but slow down and enjoy the amenities and beauty of La Playa 201 and Casa Del Mar. Of course the fact that there was wireless access in the condo and a Vonage phone...did make the little business I had to do that much easier. It was also great calling the family to check in once a day in the States. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. My wife and I are already planning to go back to this same place next year.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#2 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!