“Very Disappointed with Zoetry”

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Jose
“Very Disappointed with Zoetry”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had heard that Zoetry was the "sister" hotel to Secrets/Dreams but was even better (that's why it was $245 more per night). We had stayed at Secrets a month before and was very pleased with them. Our disappointments began upon check in. We had requested a King room on a high floor but they only had 2 Queens on the first floor. They were not 100% booked but that's what we were told. They moved us the 2nd night. The staff simply didn't seem to care if we were there or not. I hope I am able to add a picture of a raveled umbrella because that's what the service was like. This poor guest kept asking for help to put up an umbrella because it didn't have a pin on the rope. They finally came over to help him but it didn't cover all sprockets and looked terrible. They didn't care. However, the food was great and we heard (after complaining) that a new manager had started 2 days before. I hope he kicks butt and gets the place to give good service. It's a quite place - very quite - not for everyone. One couple came back after a visit to Dreams and they told everyone that we need to packup and go next door where he found "LIFE". Most people said No Thanks because they have kids there but there were actually kids at Zoetry and I thought it was supposed to be Adult only. They come in from the Condos next door apparently. I laughed one morning as the newsletter had Activities of the Day "8 AM Yoga, 5PM Tea time" And the next day there was no Yoga! Quite it was!

3 Thank SanJoseMarieb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing if you want to relax and not be bother by the pool exercise, volleyball contest, laud music, and massive buffets other all inclusive hotels offer you in Mexico. This amazing resort is quiet, relaxing, has a great spa and the food is healthy and very tasty. If you want a burger or bacon or chorizo you can still order it, after all you are in Mexico. The service is good, the gym could be a bit bigger but is a good size. Rooms are quite comfortable. Most of them have an ocean view and balcony. The bar man makes wonderful martinis. Please don't take children as there is absolutely nothing for them to do. Our pick up time on our last day was at 5 p.m. and the hotel made arrangements for us to stay in another suite until that time without any additional charge. It was a nice gesture as it allowed us to enjoy an extra day at the pool. Another plus is that you don't have to secure prime lounge chairs by the pool or the beach because there are plenty of them and all well placed and with available umbrellas.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for our 1st anniversary and had a wonderful time. The place is perfect for couples since it is a smaller boutique hotel/resort in a romantic setting. The hotel is quiet and peaceful and our room had a gorgeous view of the pools, landscape, and ocean/beach. Here is what we enjoyed the most:

* 24/7 room service. Anything, anytime. We ordered ice cream, tea, snacks, sandwiches, breakfast, etc all day/night long at NO extra charge (part of the all inclusive package)!
* Comfy beds and chaise lounge chair. Nice balcony w/ a view. Large shower and upscale toiletries.
* FREE laundry service (well, included in the all-inclusive package). Was nice to come home with clean clothes and not have to do laundry.
* Food was great. Gourmet and healthy. Loved my angus fillet at El Tapanco. Was surprised food was this good for an "all inclusive" resort.
* FREE and fast WiFi
* Activities: Tequila Tasting and the Gourmet Cooking Class were great.
* Lower pool/lounge area was very nice & relaxing. Swim up pool bar is great too.
* Staff is very friendly and helpful (Thanks Norma!)
* Spa had a nice jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna. Our complimentary 20 minute massage was pretty good too.

The only minor gripes I would have:

* Service can be a bit slow at times. But I guess you shouldn't be in a rush anyways...
* Room decor is a bit plain. Nothing fancy, could use a little more color/design/etc.
* Beach is a bit rocky (not soft fine sand) and the horses leave a little mess. Just watch where you step. ;-)

Overall, this place is highly recommended and we will probably come back at some point or try one of the other Zoetry resorts (Riviera Maya or Dominican Republic).

Perfect for anniversaries, honeymoons, or just a quiet romantic vacation...

Room Tip: Our Junior 1 Bedroom on the second floor had a nice view.
2 Thank TheMistryMan
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Zoetry Casa del Mar was just what we had hoped for in our resort. It was not crowded, it was quiet and the views of the ocean were gorgeous! We had the ocean front room, which I would highly recommend. The bed was too soft, but the view was incredible.

The people that work at Zoetry couldn't be nicer. Sometimes the service was a little slow, but honestly, everything you order is a la carte, so to me - it's worth a little bit of wait from time to time. And, speaking of a la carte, they will make you anything you want to eat. For dinner, each at the beachfront restaurant. They grill everything right there and it's so good!

The beach towels were sometimes hard to locate since they weren't on the lounge chairs. The guys at the swim-up bar will have them, though.

I would save money on the spa. The treatment I had was not that great. If you want a spa, you could always go off site to one in the area.

Overall, we loved our time at Zoetry. It was NEVER crowded and we met several returning couples to the resort!

We are already ready to book our trip in the winter to see the whales!

Room Tip: The ocean front room has the best view!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent 6 nights at this beautiful resort in June 2013. The first two it was just my husband and me, and then we were joined by 3 family members. It was wonderful in every way. Our room was tranquil, lovely and very comfortable. We loved the touches such as candles and incense. The room service was very prompt, when we needed ice, fridge refill, morning coffee etc.

The actual resort is beautiful. There are several pools, some with shallow shelves for little ones, and even shade provided in those areas. All the pools are finished in a natural color - a lovely touch, with 2 swim-up bars. We were surprised at there being only 3 restaurants (one for breakfast, the other 2 for the other meals) BUT the food was so good we are not complaining. The breakfasts were so good we didn't get to try all of those on the menu we wanted! All food is a la carte, and we loved that. For those like us who like to know what they are eating, nutritional info is provided. You can order extras and as much as you like. They were very accommodating to "mix and match" our choices (when they understood - LOL). I am allergic to MSG and as far as I could tell, there was none used in anything I ate. I avoided soup just in case. Had we had better language communication, I could have clarified that.

Our favorite restaurant was on the beach - there is covered (but open) seating, as well as tables set up on the beach, in a swept, circular area, with a fire pit in the middle. A+ for atmosphere! Excellent selection of beautiful foods. The waiters there got to know out favorite appetizer from the other restaurant and brought it without being asked after a day or too! (guacamole and yam chips - best guacamole ever!!!).

There were always plenty of pool beds available, and quiet spaces on the beach or at the pool. Our favorite spot was beside the beach pool, facing the ocean. Only once were there no chairs available. The waiters were attentive with checking in to see if we needed drinks. The bar tenders were rather inconsistent in how cocktails were mixed and we had some really bad ones. But most were good and they use top shelf liquors. The house wine (included with the all-inclusive) was fine but nothing special. We did not order other wines. We did indulge a few times in the daily bottle of champagne included if you chose.

We had one bad experience with a waiter. We were a party of 5. Between us all we had various needs during the meal - some were because he did not refill water or drinks unless we called him to do so. It seemed he expected a tip as he glared at us when we left. As tips are included in the (not small!!) cost of our all-inclusive stay, we were annoyed by that.

The sea is rough and there is an undertow, so no beach swimming - so we loved that they had built a pool right on the beach!

We LOVED the quiet at the pools! No DJs, no loud music, no noisy games!!

The people working at the resort (with the exception of the waiter above) were lovely and very friendly.

Don't pack too many clothes!!! 24 hour laundry service is included. That will allow more space to bring home a few things from San Jose. We enjoyed the pottery-shopping in town, at reasonable prices (with a little bargaining). The gift shop at the hotel had decent prices for their pottery, too - a small but very nice selection. Cabo is expensive for shopping - don't recommend it.

We were puzzled by the expensive taxi fare (I think $65) from the airport. But from the hotel back to the airport was only $35! Why? We felt ripped off on arrival. Watch out for the guys at the airport who try to get you to look at timeshares!! They offer you free transport, if you are willing to take a large chunk of one of your precious vacation days to travel there, see it, and then travel back!! Not for us!

If you walk along the beach to the (huge!!) sister hotel, there are massage tents on the beach. We had one hour massages for $20 per person, and we tipped $5! It was pleasant, if not highly professional. We did have the 20 minute massage in the resort spa that is included for each guest - the very best I have ever experienced! If their prices were more reasonable we would have gone a couple more times. $150 for 50 minutes is way over the top.

I am surprised by the poor website. There is almost no information about all the details of the resort. We found out most of what we knew from other sources.

Overall - fabulous. We don't usually return to resorts, preferring to try new places. This is one we will definitely return to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane C
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This place is heaven on earth. The weather is perfect every day. No humidity. A short ride from the airport. Beware of timeshare people at airport. Upon check in they gave us wet scented towels and delicious fruit tea. Upgraded our room. A huge suite w a jacuzzi rain shower sitting area huge bed. The bed and pillows were oh soooooooo soft and dreamy!!!! I lived in my bathrobe the whole time. And in bikinis. Everyday we had the freshest most healthy food. Service was beyond excellent and all inclusive!!!!!! Bring money for tips. The staff seems super friendly kind and efficient. They give you a free tote bag free 20 minute massage great snacks water and top shelf liquor in the mini bar!!! The drinks at the pool bar were always fresh top shelf and made to order! We felt like royalty. They even brought you lunch by the pool each day. Try the guacamole and ceviche w mango!!! "G" is the man!!! Please ask for him and make sure to tip him. I never wanted to come back from this trip and we count the days until we can go back. Sigh!!!!!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to an ocean front room with a jacuzzi outside and beautiful whirlpool jacuzzi w LED...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RaeRae L
Calgary
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2013. We work hard, have two young children and we were completely burned out. I booked this last minute after finding a pretty decent deal. When we arrived, we were upgraded to the Presidential suite. - for FREE. I did not request this, we just were, and I still don't really know why, but that is the kind of service you get. The two levels with infinity hot tub were lovely. I mean come on --- who could complain about drinking a beer, while in your own private hot tub on your own private balcony watching the sunset over the Sea of Cortez? Room service, housekeeping, front desk and pool and restaurant service were all great. None of it was lacking in any way. It was great to have clean laundry every day, food and drink rushed to me whenever I felt like it 24 hours a day, and a beautifully appointed, air conditioned room (well over 1800 square feet) to lounge around in. It was quiet -- but peace and quiet was what we were craving and it was sooooo nice to be in a tranquil setting. For five blissful days we were pampered. In fact, I didn't realize how much we needed this escape until three days in, when I felt good. You know that feeling of being well rested with no aches and pains or any cares in the world? If you forgot what that is like, then you might be in need of trip to Zoetry. The food here was good. if you love fresh fish and seafood, you will be in heaven. The mexican food here was the best I have ever had in a 'mexican' all inclusive. In saying that - it still had a bit of that 'hotel food - not what you would get at home flavour' that is hard to describe, but was still very good. Is this place absolutely perfect? No it isn't, especially when we all go in with preconceived notions of what a resort will be like. But it is 9 out of 10 for sure. The only real fault for me was the exercise room. And not even all of the room, some of it was absolutely fine but the elliptical was the quality of a 99 dollar 'super' mart special. Which was totally WEIRD to me, considering how lovely everything else is. People that complain about this place need to be staying at a thousand dollar a night room at the Ritz Carlton and even then I think they would find something wrong with it. Don't let those reviews deter you, if you are bone tired, stressed to the max and for once want to be the person that is being taken care of, instead of doing it for everybody else in your life -- go!

Room Tip: From what I saw, all rooms seem great with a view, I would go again and have no qualms about staying...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#2 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!