“Excellent honeymoon!”

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time at Zoetry Casa del Mar. We stayed for 7 nights for our Honeymoon. We had a Ocean Access Jr. Suite and it was beautiful & clean. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Drinks were always served with a smile and the food was delicious! I enjoyed both pools, but particularly loved the one nearest the ocean. We went to Dreams to eat a few times and really enjoyed their Italian restaurant. I'm glad we had the option of going to Dreams but am glad we stayed at Casa del Mar instead. It's so quiet, peaceful and serene. Not to say that we didn't have a lot of fun and party (cause we did!). Enjoy!

1  Thank Giselle A
There are newer reviews for Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Check in: When we arrived you walk into this beautiful open lobby that looks straight into the gorgeous pool and ocean.
Our room was not ready when we arrived but that was not a problem we were starving so after the tour we went to eat lunch by the pool. Food was amazing! Once we were through we went back to lobby and our room was ready, bags were already in our room.

Room: We had a One Bedroom Master suite ocean view, which had an amazing view of the pool and ocean!!! The room was immaculate. We loved our room. They came to clean it twice a day once in morning and then the turn down service picked up again. They also left you a little treat every evening. There are 2 tvs but I do not think we turned it on once.

Food: We absoultely loved the food. They do have a set menu at each restraunt they may change it a little, but if you have a request or you don't see something that you have a craving for they will do their best to accommodate you. We caught Dorado/Mahi and brought it back to the hotel and they kept it for us in the freezer and they fixed for us twice while we stayed. The first time we told the chef to surprise us. He fixed it 3 different way and each was better than the first and all were good. We thought of taking advantage of being able to go to Dreams and eat but we heard from so many guest that the food does not compare so we stayed at Zoetry.

Staff: I can not say enough about the staff! They were all amazing! They helped us in anyway they could. Raul helped us once we caught our fish and he kept it for us in his kitchen.Estaban, G, Hector, Victor, Marcos, Hugo, Tomas, Angelica, Kennedy were the best! They made us laugh, made things easy, helped us order and made us try new things.
Norma who helped us check in helped us in anyway she could. :-) (if i missed anybody I am sorry)
Beside the beautiful setting the staff here just make you want to come back so you can be pampered and just have a good time.

extras: I know this may not be big for many but I loved that they washed and dry cleaned your clothes for free. I could have it picked up in the morning and it would be folded or hung in our room that evening. To not have any clothes to wash when I came home was a blessing!
They replenished our fridge everyday!

My husband and I can not wait to return and we will definitely spread the word about Zoetry!

1  Thank Bess S
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I came down to celebrate my birthday. From the second we arrived, with Cesar's wonderful smile greeting us in, it was amazing. The wait staff was exceptional, always serving with a smile. Making sure you had a towel, water and a drink in your hand. The property was outstanding and breathtaking. 15 minutes either way and you were in either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose. Both were great places to visit and it was so nice to come back to the Zoetry after. I would like to thank all the staff emensely, especially, Nora, Hector, Eduardo, Manuel and a heartfelt thanks to Alberto who made us feel like one of his family. Can't wait to come back

Room Tip: Oceanfront Junior Suite close to everything
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was just soooooo incredibly nice. Our waiters for breakfast, lunch, and dinner were always smiling, always happy to help, kept our drinks full, and were happy to have us. After such a hectic time leading up to the wedding, this was just PERFECT for a week of relaxation and finally being able to enjoy each other and just be together. For an all-inclusive, I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the food, but we were! The food was delicious! We stuffed ourselves full at every meal and still never got to try everything on the menu. If you enjoy eating a lot on vacation, this is definitely your place.
The one thing I would warn people about is the seemingly nice bonus of being able to walk down to the Dreams hotel and eat at their restaurants or use their accommodations. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME at Dreams. We went there one night and while it was fine for families or group vacations with friends, it was several levels below Zoetry in terms of quality food, service, and overall atmosphere. We learned early on in the week that we would not go back there after our first trip down, but it was a wasted meal for sure (not to mention we waited FOREVER to get a table at the japanese restaurant, which sucked). So unless you're looking for a little fun (wanting to meet young people at the bar or seeking out more kid-friendly activities) stay at Zoetry and don't be tempted to go to Dreams. It's not worth it.
It is true that you can't swim at the beach by the hotel. My husband and I were a little bummed about that because we both like swimming in the ocean, but the pool was sooooo nice and the beach chairs were so comfortable and high-quality that we didn't even notice. You're sitting SO close to the water that you can walk down and dip your toes in if you need to cool off. We were even able to feel the spray from the crashing waves which was really enjoyable. We had a lot of fun in the pool though, so neither of us really missed being able to swim in the ocean. We also did an all-day snorkeling trip at Lover's Beach so we feel we got plenty of time in the ocean.
Our room was beautiful, we had great views of the ocean, and enjoyed how often they serviced our room. They would always leave little cookies for us while we were at dinner to snack on when we got back (even though we were so full we couldn't eat them...we'd eat them in the morning before heading to breakfast). I was so happy that our room was so clean. I am really big on things being perfectly clean and my expectations were definitely met.
Since we wanted a quiet, seclusive trip to just be together and be finally be alone after wedding madness, we loved the location of the hotel. It was just so peaceful and quiet. We didn't realize we were booking a "relaxation" trip until we got there...man it was a nice surprise. We were also really glad that we didn't have any big surprises when it came to paying the bill. When we were doing our honeymoon search for places in Cabo, we were very cautious about choosing a place that had all the food and drinks included in the price. We didn't spend one extra dime other than tipping the staff. The staff personnel were not seeking tips either, like so many other hotels in Mexico we've been to. They were very appreciative if you did tip them, but they took care of you 100% either way. We were sad to leave when our week was over.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crystal P
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Staff:
Zoetry Casa del Mar, has hands down as excellent of a staff as anywhere else i've been.... it is hard to imagine it getting any better than these folks, and im pretty sure it can't! The staff continuously goes the extra mile to ensure that you have everything you need. Many bar/restaurant staff will remember your name from the first day you introduce yourself. When your drink gets to be 1/5 full, they often will come pick it up and replace it with a brand new cold one. They are extremely friendly, and always seem to be in a great mood. I have no complaints about any single staff member at Zoetry. Some of my favorites were Zach, "G", Alberto, Andres, Louis, Eduardo, and Hector. I really wish i could remember all the other names, because everyone was great.......ask Zach to make you his "special shot". Please tip these folks for their hard work!

Food:
Food was really good. When you go to an all inclusive, you have to understand that the food is not going to be 5 star quality....but every meal i had during my stay was very good. The quantity of food for most main courses were some what small....so by the 2nd day i began ordering my meals custom...and they would bring it no problem. Do not be afraid to order absolutely whatever you are craving (in whatever quantity) at any given time...they will make it happen.

Room:
We stayed in an Ocean front Jr. Suite Rm 1203....This is the one area where i actually have complaints. Although the room was clean and nice in appearance, there were a few drawbacks. The bed was not great....the mattress sank about 6 inches in the middle (perpendicular to the direction you lay). If you like to lay on your side or stomach when you sleep, then this is a problem as you can imagine.....your back is not meant to bend in that position for extended periods. The sliding glass door that opened to the balcony was really jacked up...not only did the door not quite shut all the way, but there was an actual 1-2 inch gap between the wall and sliding door....in other words, there was a 1-2 inch gap that allowed air, noise, and bugs into our room. The bugs were not horrible (mostly just a few moths), but the noise was an issue. If you are staying in an ocean front, the waves can get really loud, especially during the night.... I woke up at 4-5am every single night and usually could not go back to sleep because of this. Additionally, starting at about 8am, construction took place about 3 rooms over from us....drills, hammering etc. took place every morning we were there (with the exception of the days that stormed).....personally, it would have been nice if this could have waited until at least 9-10am. Our view from balcony was just OK....but this was not a big deal.

Room Service:
Room Service was Excellent! Nothing else to say.

Spa:
Unbelievable. You will not be disappointed with an 80 minute massage.

Access to Dreams:
Having access to Dreams is nice...it is about a 5-7 minute walk down the beach. Buffet breakfast at Dreams is really good (i forget the name of the restaurant, but there is only one that offers it).....Lunch and Dinner at their Oceana restaurant is Excellent. Dreams is much more active/populated in general, and if you want to drink at a bar past 11pm you must go over to Dreams rather than Zoetry.

Front desk/management.
During our 7 night stay, a tropical storm unfortunately brushed the Cabo area....we were pretty much confined to our resort for two days in the middle of our stay ( i realize this is not Zoetry's fault). But the day before our departure, i thought i would ask the front desk about staying another night......despite the fact that occupancy was at 50-60% at best, they quoted me $600 for one additional night. I was extremely surprised and disappointed about this. I was hoping for a much better offer, considering the circumstances (50% occupancy, i had already paid for 7 nights, and 2 days of being stuck in our room/indoor bar). I should have complained about our room, but i didn't. Additionally, when we signed up for our package back in June i was told online i would receive a round of golf for two ( at an unspecified location)....when we arrived we were told that that offer had expired a long time ago....i didnt feel like arguing right at the start of our honeymoon, so i let it slide.....but i was VERY certain, that the package i signed up for online back in June had included the golf. BTW...if you you are looking for a great course, check out the Palmilla!

Overall I give this resort 4 stars.....Staff and Food I have no complaints about...and honestly, those are the two most important things to me. But the room situation was sub par, and again, i was very disappointed with the offer they extended to me for one additional night (given the occupancy and the 2 days of horrendous weather.) I will consider staying here again, given how great the food/service are, but would probably have to pay a little less than what we did. I've stayed at Dreams before, and the premium you pay at Zoetry over Dreams is quite a bit...not certain it is worth it. If you plan on being away from the resort & in town for a lot of your meals....then i would probably stay at dreams instead. Again, overall i was pleased, but not completely blown away by my entire experience. One more shout out to the staff/cooks, you guys/gals are great!

A.S. from Houston

Room Tip: I'd probably shoot for an Ocean View rather than Ocean front... Ocean front was not worth the pr...
3  Thank Adumerlin
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The disappointment is not so much in resort itself but its misrepresentation by Apple Vacations. No ocean swimming (too strong undertow) - why go to a beachfront hotel and not being able to swim in the ocean? Tour operator must disclose this major drawback, not hide it. Non-stop transfer from and to airport - failed in both directions, at least 2 stops each way (no biggy but why advertise what you cannot deliver?). Promised ocean view suite with king size bed and Jacuzzi: no can do - it is either Jacuzzi with 2 double beds or king size bed but no Jacuzzi. Promised fresh daily bottle of sparkling wine and fruit plate: true on arrival but if you want "fresh" one you must call every day and ask for it. Fruit is of abominable quality (in Mexico of all places!) - unripened, sometimes half rotten; delivered without knife or fork so break your teeth if you are still hungry for vitamins. True - you may call and a knife would arrive in 15 minutes, but next day you will have to do it again. No beer bottle opener in mini-bar. Bar content is not replenished unless you specifically ask for it every day. Bathrobe(s) will be taken away if you put it together with wet towels but not replaced by a fresh one... unless you ask for it. Soap - 1 bar for both sink and shower so you must transfer it as needed. Yes, you can get another one but... yes, you must ask for it. The bed was too soft for my taste. Tea drinkers beware: water for your teabag will be poured from carafe used for coffee so water will smell and taste correspondingly. Sure, waiter will bring you a cup of hot (clean) water... if you ask for it, but - at your next meal the process will have to be repeated, even on the 10th day of your stay when all waiters learned everything about your alimentary preferences. At the hotel's bars they manage to dilute drinks silly, even wine(!); perhaps out of concern that you may get a DUI... but you are not driving anywhere - bars are on the hotel premises. Pools are clean but shallow, not conducive to swimming (remember - no ocean swimming either). Hotel of this class (Apple Vacation Rating:
6 golden apples - the highest possible) must have shuttle to town(s). In reality, you must pay US$25 per person, one way for a 10-15 min. taxi ride. So for a couple's night out it is US$100 transportation alone. There are good things too: very friendly people want to accommodate your every wish, speak very good English. For example, they arranged an immediate house call by a very competent doctor when I got a bout of Montezuma Revenge. From an initial telephone call to front desk to completion of the visit by the good (looking female) doctor and delivery of medicine - one hour and US$210. In summary: six golden apples? No way! Four red ones - my best offer.

Room Tip: ask for at least an ocean view, better yet ocean front suite in a newer building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank toozik
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Zoetry came highly recommended from friends that just went there on their honeymoon. We're glad we chose this resort. This was the perfect choice for our honeymoon. It's an amazing place to just chill and relax (and eat and drink your face off). In the all-inclusive package we got, we were able to go to the nearby Dreams resort to eat and drink there as well. Dreams has a ton of activities but isn't as quiet as the Zoetry. A great thing about the Zoetry is it's 95% married couples, so NO kids, which is pretty sweet.

Food: They do Mexican food REALLY well. I had fish tacos and guacamole like everyday for lunch. The breakfast was really authentic. The fresh juice concoctions in the morning are a perfect way to start the day, especially with a little Malibu Rum mixed in (Thanks Fermin!!). The seafood dishes were delicious. If you are expecting a Ruth Chris quality steak you will be disappointed as the steaks are just OK. You can pretty much order anything they serve for room service. It might not be on the menu but just ask and they will deliver it hot to your room. The bartenders do a fantastic job with the drinks. I recommend late night tequila tasting.

Facilities: 2 POOL BARS!! Enough said... As we walked up and down the beach to look at the other resorts, this place has the closest pool bar to the Sea of Cortez. The gym is just OK. One of the treadmills wasn't working. The WiFi wasn't that great in the room, but we didn't care because we didn't come to Mexico to sit on Facebook. Only swim in the pools. While we were there two foolish (I'm using nice words here) young girls at Dreams tried to swim in the Ocean, I don' t think that ended well... The waves on the beach are bone crushers and the current will sweep you right out to sea.

Service: The staff is great. If you need a umbrella at the pool, the staff is quick to get you one followed by a delicious margarita or mango mojito (DELICIOUS AND DANGEROUS). Big thanks to Jesus, Fermin, Eduardo, etc!!

Room: We stayed in an Ocean Front Jr Suite. It was clean and well maintained during our stay. You can pack pretty light as they have a free laundry service with a 1 day turnaround. The only gripe we had about the room was it was usually freezing when we got back before dinner, I don't think the thermostat worked.

Location: Like I said before, don't swim in the ocean. The pools at the Zoetry and Dreams were just fine. There is a swimming beach within walking distance at the Hilton hotel if you fancy the ocean. If you want to checkout Cabo San Lucas I recommend taking the shuttle from Dreams. It leaves every hour and was $24 round trip for two people. SIDE NOTE Cabo San Lucas is really cool and I recommend a day trip there. They have a large nightlife scene there too. I believe Dreams organizes a bar crawl in Cabo. I would avoid eating at the joints on the public beach so stick to the Marina for the better food. We had delicious thin crust pizza and micros brews at Baja Brewing Company. It's rooftop location is about 1 block off the beach behind Baja Cantina (I wouldn't recommend Baja Cantina, it's not that good and it's pricey).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!