“Bonita Casa Natalia”
Review of Casa Natalia

Casa Natalia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at Casa Nalalia for 4 nights during Spring Break and only saw 2 other couples the entire time. Kinda nice! We had 2 rooms, La Romantica and La Sandia. They were both lovely. The beds are really hard but by the end of out stay I decided that I love hard beds. I learned something! A few reviewers have noted that the rooms are small but if you include the patio it doesn't feel small at all! There's a hammock and table and chairs on the patio. They deliver your breakfast on your patio at the exact time you request every day. The pool is small but it's really quiet and relaxing and the lounge chairs are really comfy.
I read in Fodor's that there was a free shuttle to a hotel on the beach. It turns out that it wasn't free, it's $35 round trip. No big deal since our rooms were so inexpensive. They took us to the Marquis and it was gorgeous and the service was perfect.
My husband and I had dinner at their restaurant (Mi Cocina) on the last night we were there. OMG! It did not disappoint, everything was amazing! Try the chicken with chocolate (not mole) and the grilled Ceasar salad. Delish!
All and all we had a fabulous vacation. Everyone at Casa Natalia was really sweet. The only tiny thing that I didn't like is... and this is a pet peeve... is that they had the smallest bar soaps and conditioners. The conditioner was enough for about 1/4 of my hair. I was beating the bottle to death. LOL! And I'm sorry but i just hate bar soap. Be sure to bring your own conditioner and body wash. ; )

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lemoncello

Reviewed March 24, 2011

We booked four nights at Casa Natalia to combine with a stay in Cabo San Lucas. I would suggest this as a smart thing to do for a first trip to the area. The two areas are so very different. We booked directly with the hotel via email and they are very helpful and efficient in advance of your arrival. Restaurants bookings and transfers were booked and everything went as expected. I had gotten sick the week before our arrival and had to change the four nights to two nights and they handled it so professionally and did not impose any cancellation fees (as per agreement they could have) and were just concerned that I feel better soon so I could enjoy our trip.
~Arrival. I prebooked transfer with hotel and while more expensive that just taking a taxi I was glad we did. He was waiting for us and we were off immediately for the hotel. Lots of sales people as you come out of the airport and since I saw him immediately it went smooth. Cesar greeting us upon arrival and our room was ready. Just walking into the reception I knew we would be happy there.
~Room. We booked the suite with Jacuzzi and it was almost to the end of the property through the pool area. Very private and the suite, while not extremely large, is balanced with a terrace (really a living space) that is complete with mini fridge and hammock. There were flower petals on the bed and too many special touches to even mention. Honestly one of the most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. This was during pre-lenten festivities in the nearby square and we slept perfectly due to some excellent construction including windows. When is the last time you stayed at a hotel with screens to keep pests out? Well Casa Natalia has these and many options to create a cross breeze with the nice fresh breezes of San Jose in March. A couple of nights were cold to me and they provided a small heater. The room/suite far exceeded my expectations. Oh...also the jacuzzi actually worked and had temp. control...most I have encountered either don't work...too dirty or cold water. This one was actually fully functioning and we used it daily.
~Property grounds and pool. The design of the hotel is beautiful and well thought out. The theme seems to incorporate water and its calming sounds into every corner..this together with the towering palm trees creates sort of an oasis in the midst of a unique Mexican town. You can hear the waterfalls everywhere. The pool is very nice and good warm temperature. Of course it is small, but is in proportion to the area and nice chairs and towels right there. Getting sun is difficult in the later part of the day but our terrace had sun all day so no problem. Low key music was playing the the background and clearly the clientele were quiet and respectful of the environment (this is a big contrast to the more "lively" spring break Cabo). It was nice to explore the town for 1/2 day and just enjoy the "Casa" for the rest of the day. Attention to detail and balance was noted everywhere and you can feel comfortable booking any of the rooms as even the ground level ones have very private terraces.
~Mi Cocina. This restaurant is just after the lobby before the pool area and is so beautiful at night for dinner. Time your stay so that you can at least enjoy one dinner here (closed on Tues.) as it is one of the best in the area. Service and food was excellent. Very popular place, but in no way disturbs the ambiance of the hotel.
~Service. All staff were very polite and eager to help you with anything. Housekeeping never intruded but the suite was cleaned well everyday..never missing any items as happens so often. Your breakfast ,which is included in the room rate, is ordered the night before and will arrive on your terrace exactly when you order it. Excellent menu and everything was just as ordered. So relaxing to sit on your terrace as the day starts warming up enjoying your breakfast. Also they don't just leave a tray they set up your table with colorful Mexican tablecloth...again it is the attention to detail that sets this boutique property apart from so many others.
~Location. As mentioned this hotel is right in the heart of San Jose and the Historic Art District. You walk out and you are right there. Strollling around this area is fun and the shopping for jewelry and art rewarding. Most of the shops have the artist right there and on Thursday nights they have an artwalk you can take with each gallery offering tapas and drinks etc. While we missed that walk due to timing we especially enjoyed Casa Dahlia which has the most charming garden in back serving lunch and in the evening I think it has tapas etc. This whole area is really evolving and is sort of a cross between Europe and the old Mexico. No discos here. Some unique restaurants too including Panga (nice for seafood in the garden) and Salistas which serves Mexican food. You can walk out to the sea by the Presidente but we really did not go much beyond the town due to our short stay. Casa Natalia provides an arranged taxi shuttle to the Hilton (this can change) for a day at the beach for $35 round trip. I did have the idea it was complimentary and just in case someone else thought that, it is not. If you are not continuing on to a beach hotel this would be a good idea. One could stay busy for a week here with different outings daily and the reception is helpful in organizing your stay.
~Summary. This hotel exceeded our expectations and I can't really think of anything they could have done better for us during our stay. Because it is small you really do get the feeling that it is your "Casa" and yet you have all the privacy you want. It was so peaceful and a perfect start to our holiday. We already are thinking about returning (the weather was so perfect) and maybe combining a stay at Casa Natalia with a hotel on the sea more near to San Jose. I would also be happy for 7 nights at Casa Natlia too so we will see. San Jose is not the totally Americanized experience that Cabo is and will not appeal to everyone, but it is perfect if you want to feel like you are in Mexico with all the comforts of a European style boutique hotel. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel and all the reviews really are justified in my opinion.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank gene
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Casa Natalia for three days in Dec on our trip to the Cabo area. We wish we would have stayed the whole week. This is an extraordinary place. It is located in the center of SanJose del Cabo, but feels completely secluded. The whole place is beautiful. Rooms are very comfortable. But most of all, they have a truly remarkable staff. I can't say enough good about them. Being in the center of town, you can easily walk to restaurants. HOwever, you may not want to. The quality at the Casa Natalia restuarant makes it one of the most desirable. If you are looking for a boutique small hotel and want to stay away from the drinking resort culture of Cabo, stay here.
My only suggestion is that if you choose to drive, be sure to get specific instructions.l You need to negotiate a series of one way very crowded streets to get to the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank johns070
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The decor, location and food ranked high on our list, but the service was outstanding. Cesar at the front desk helped us plan our short stay and quickly became our go-to guy. The restaurant attached has a international menu and we really enjoyed our Valentine's dinner. The setting is surrounded by waterfalls, pools, fire bowls and local sculpture. It's as gorgeous in the night as it is in the day. You could tell that everyone there was in no hurry to leave, and that's how we felt through our stay.
The hotel is near the plaza and we could see live music there in the evening. Fortunately, the walls around the hotel are extraordinarily high, closing off the sounds of the plaza near by. Our room was garden level and some street sounds could be heard through the bathroom, but were drowned out in the sleeping area. The interior design is warm and inspiring, little details could be found throughout that made it seem like home.
My only complaint is that the toilet seat was ill-fitting and was too short for the actual toilet. I think someone else mentioned that on the forums as well. Other than that, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

2  Thank n8andm
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I have been wanting to stay at Casa Natalia for 8 years. I first took a look while staying at another hotel after reading about it in Conde Nast magazine. It was charming. So after many years of yearning my husband and I spent one wonderful evening February 8, 2011. We were able to stay in the "watermelon" room and it was gorgeous. I loved the beautiful pool with the relaxing water fall and the comfortable poolside loungers. The staff was pleasant but not intrusive. My only disappointment was that our visit was on a Tuesday and the bar and restaurant was closed! We had intended to enjoy a lovely dinner with drinks but could not. They had set out a self-service bar but it was not the same. We will have to return on another day(s) of the week to enjoy all of the amenities; preferably in the early summer.

5  Thank DTierman
Reviewed February 11, 2011

On our first trip to Mexico to escape the frozen hell that is Boston in February, I was trying to find somewhere that was easy to get to and Cabo San Lucas came to mind. After reviewing Cabo San Lucas city and the hotels, it was clear that that area was not for us nor was spending time at a huge resort on the beach. My search led me to Casa Natalia in the city of San Jose Del Cabo, about 32 km from Cabo San Lucas and we could not have been happier.
Casa Natalia sits right on La Plaza in the old town of San Jose. We arrived in the afternoon, parked our rental around the corner where there is tons of free on street parking, and were warmly greeted at the front desk with 2 glasses of ice cold homemade juice and wet towels to refresh us after the flight and drive to the hotel. We were instructed to leave our bags and were told they would be delivered to our room. Nice touch. Next we were escorted to our room past the bar/lounge area, through the open air restaurant, and past the crescent shaped, heated pool to our room. This boutique hotel only has 16 rooms, all with private balconies/patios and no children. No offense to the kids but I don't have any and I'd prefer not to spend my vacation with them running amok.
The room was absolutely beautiful! The private patio came with a table for 2, a hammock, and was ringed with flower boxes overlooking the tranquil pool area. Enter through the sliders and you are in a gorgeous room with comfy couch, king sized bed with high quality linens and sprinkled with flower petals to add to the romantic ambiance. The luxuriously tiled bathroom is outfitted with a step down shower. The vanity is large and easily accommodates 2 people getting ready at the same time. There is plenty of storage to hang your clothes and shelves for your folded items and a lock box for your valuables.
After getting cleaned up, we headed to the bar for happy hour with David the bartender who makes wonderful Margaritas and Mojitos. Add some delicious chips, salsa, and guacamole and we were completely refreshed before heading out to check out the town. Not long after, we returned to eat in the hotel restaurant, Mi Cocina, and were treated to a fabulous meal under the palm trees replete with gracious service. What a lovely first night in Mexico!
You can request breakfast be delivered to your room for about $20 per person but we opted to eat at the incredibly authentic, French Riviera patisserie, located just around the corner from the hotel but I'll save that for another review.
We did go down to Cabo San Lucas to do some water based activities but were thankful we chose to stay in San Jose. Cabo is cool if you like lots of activity, noise, tourists, and people hawking (constantly) every thing from time shares to activities to trinkets. I don't want to sound negative because there is plenty to recommend Cabo San Lucas and we went there every day for one reason or another. Staying there just isn't for us. It is about a 20 minute drive down the tourist corridor, aka Route 1 and the views of the Sea of Cortez are gorgeous. Driving in this area of Mexico was no problem, the roads are beautiful and well lit. Yes, Mexicans can be crazy drivers but coming from Boston, it was hardly intimidating as we are complete lunatics on the road.
San Jose Del Cabo is a beautifully preserved Mexican town with a lushly landscaped plaza with fountains, a striking church, and many great restaurants, bars, shops, and art galleries to amuse yourself. This is a real working town and is in no way overrun with tourists. Every night, there are 2 vendors serving up delicious tamales and other Mexican treats to a largely Mexican clientele. The shops have wonderful object d'art and other neat things to bring home to your loved ones. Lots of great places to eat and drink with the locals. The people are very friendly and English is widely spoken but there are plenty of opportunities to practice your Spanish.
Having heard all kinds of horror stories and forced to listen to people tell me not to drink the water, drive at night, or walk the streets at night, I am pleased to say, at least in San Jose, those warnings were unfounded. We felt completely safe but we're also from the city and if you take normal precautions, you won't be a victim.
I can't say enough about how wonderful Casa Natalia was. Flawless in every detail. I met the owner Nathalie on the last day we were there and knew just by looking at her that she was the owner. She is a beautiful, stylish, warm, European woman and her hotel reflects her in every way.
By the way, my partner and I are an interracial gay male couple and we felt completely welcomed in the hotel and everywhere else we went so don't let that stop you from enjoying the best the tip of Baja California has to offer with Casa Natalia and the city of San Jose Del Cabo. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. There are so many things to do, see, eat, and drink that you will never be bored.
One thing to remember is this area is quite expensive by Mexican standards so expect to shell out more than you expected on everything. I think the reason for the prices is because of the location. Baja California is a desert and everything must be shipped in. US Dollars are widely accepted and ATM's are easy to find.

2  Thank DorchesterTraveler
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We stayed at Casa Natalia for almost 2 weeks right after Christmas. It is conveniently located near everything as it is right off of the town square. The town square was decorated with lights and holiday displays-very festive. The town had erected a stage in the middle of the square, and almost every night they had some music or activity going on. We could hear it all from our balcony and from inside the room with the doors and windows closed. This is good or bad depending on your point of view. As it mostly quieted down by 11pm, we were fine, but be warned you can hear what is going on in the square at night, and in the street located behind the hotel. If quiet is what you want I suggest you request a room away from the front of the square. Otherwise the music and family friendly atmosphere (lots of familes with children come to square at night) is nice to hear.

Due to their excellent location, you can walk to almost any of the highly rated restuarants in town. It is very safe to walk around in town at night. I was worried about this, but they had a policeman on almost every corner directing car and pedestrian traffic. I think even without the police on the corners this is a very safe and friendly town.

The restaurant in the hotel is Mi Cocina and is convenient if you are staying in the hotel. We found the food to be uneven. On the first night we ate there my husband had the grilled ceasar and it was great. A few nights later he ordered it again, and it was not so great. He wondered if it was the same salad. The fish diablo was great. The lobster ravioli is also very good-I ordered it twice. I found their signiture dish-Seafood risotto very salty, and couldn't finish it. I'll eat here again, as I now know what is consistently good (the lobster ravioli) and what is not (seafood risotto and grilled ceasar).

We had the breakfast package and our breakfast was delivered to our patio at the time we picked every day. They were always on time and the order was always correct. My only problem, because we were there for so long, and the breakfast menu is limited, is that I got tiried of the same breakfast every morning. Although, my husband pointed out that I eat the same breakfast at home every day, so what's the difference.

The rooms were well appointed and clean and individually decorated. The bed linens soft and comfortable. If you open the patio doors (which tuck into a wall-you have a really light, open, and airy room. The staff really goes out its way to make your stay pleasant. A couple of warnings though-there is NO telephone in the rooms. Which is fine if you have a cell phone and you can use that to make a call and they have a telephone in the lobby area that guests can use for local calls. However, if you want extra towels, or need to let them know something is not working, etc, you have to trek to the front desk to tell them. Which is a pain if you were about to get into the shower and needed more towels, ten have to get dressed and trek to the front desk, then go back to your room and wait (although they are fairly fast about this type of thing). Another warning is that the toilet room door is glass and there is no door to the bathroom. Very little privacy when using the bathroom. OK for some people, not OK for others.

Since they are not located on a beach, the hotel provides access to the beach via an arrangement with one of the beach resorts. I don' know if it changes, but while we were there we went to the Marquis resort. Great beach resort-you check in at the front desk-telling them you are staying at Casa Natalia, and after you give them your credit card you have use of their pool areas. They don't charge for the use of the pool or beach, the credit card is in case you want a drink or food while you lay at the pool. They just ask your name and run a tab for you-you settle tab at front desk as you leave resort for the day, Their prices were very reasonable. We had lunch at their outdoor cafe near the pool and it was fabulous. The scallop salad was made with large scallops, light dressing and was excellent. We had that 2 days in a row.

Overall, we quite enjoyed Casa Natalia and will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple