“Good location, but too close to the stables.”

Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed June 16, 2013

PROS
I have spent my 11 days in the hotel and enjoyed it to the most part. The staff was super friendly and helpful in fulfilling my family's requests for service.
Food and the colorful dance shows offer you an opportunity to get to know the Mexican culture.
Location is great, because it borders on the east with an estuary that holds around 130 different species of birds, turtles, fish and other animals. The 20-30 minute walk eastwards on the beach offers an access to a small dolphinarium that is on the border of the estuary and Puerto los Cabos' harbor.
Nice historic art downtown within 25 minute walk from the hotel that offers concerts and galleries.
Also, I loved the open beach bar and restaurant and the early afternoon cart that offered snacks.
CONS
Eastern half of the hotel is close to the part of the city that has stables with horses that are offered to tourists for a $40/hr rate. So in the evening the horses are back and for some reason the resulting odor in the air is strong and unpleasant. Thus having the terrace door open during the night is not an option.
Beach is nice, but you can not use the ocean to swim or wade in it because of the strong currents and big waves.
Far from Los Cabos and most of the attractions there. If you want to get there and spend a day to see the arc, shop and dine, you've got to pay for a shuttle with fixed times, rent a car that is not so reliable, or taxi that is rather expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 15, 2013

It's a big mistake for us to choose this resort for our annual family vacation..nothing really match the website and lot of great comments from others....we finally decided to checked out and move to other resort after the second day....the only great thing for us to remember is senor Luis Fernandez the resort tennis coach and his sons operating the tennis event..these folks are friendly and knowledgeable about the game and make us feel like family...I am highly recommends to anyone that visit this resort in the future to stop by for a tennis lesson that run 10am from monday-friday and they also available for private lesson at anytime...kudo to the tennis coaching team.....Anthony Vu from sanjose, california

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anthony v
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear anthony v ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just got back from an 8 day stay at the Holiday Inn. They have many new things at this hotel. New play area for kids. New kids to do area. A new litle cart thatcomes around daily with fresh fruit and ice cream. Everyone is still great from the new manager Patricia who is doing a great job to make sure your stay in fun. Raul at front desk is very helpful, Alma at the outside bar that won award for employee of first part of year to Cruz and Luis. Food has gotten so much better and service great. Weather was wonderful and the Kite Fiesta they had was fun. Rooms could use so pictures but were comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor have a patio and hammocks. Ocean front rooms can see ocean or have garden...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mexico007
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We've been to several all-inclusives. Some have been fancier but none have been more welcoming. This was our fifth trip to the Holiday Inn in Cabo San Jose, previously the El Presidente. The fact that it is our fifth visit and we are already planning the next one should tell you something. We travel there with a group and some have been staying at this resort for twenty years. Again, they must be soing something right. The rooms are comfortable and the food is great but in our opinion the resorts strongest feature is its staff. Led by Patricia, Raul, and the other managers, they make you feel special. We have never encountered a frown. The management at this resort realizes that it isn't the newest or fanciest in the area but they are more than determined to make up for that with unsurpassed hospitality and service. I would agree with some who say this is not a “nightlife” resort but that's not what it's intended to be. I will say that the evening entertainment at the resort has improved over the years. In some ways we feel like Matthew who posted that he wanted to keep the place a secret. :) Probably not going to happen though because we are already talking some of our friends into going to the resort with us in the near future and I'm sure the word will get around. :)
During this visit we flew some kites, yes, they are “kite friendly.” We have been there during turtle camp and are already planning our return.. We really enjoyed the turtle camp experience. We also noted the numerous butterflies floating around the grounds. Speaking of the grounds, the desert landscaping is beautiful and meticulously kept. Folks have posted a lot of pictures of the resort. Take look at them and see if it isn't the kind of place you'd like to visit. Maybe we'll bump into each other at the El Caribeno, every one just calls it the palapa bar. If we do the first drinks on me :) Oh, by the way, there is a new airline terminal and it is really a BIG improvment. We were quite impressed. I guess I could add that we felt quite safe at this resort and in this area. In fact one of the the ladies in our party rents a bike rides into town and around and has never felt uncomfortable doing so. Just sayin' :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank R M
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights during the long Memorial Day weekend at the Holiday Inn Los Cabos. I had spent a week there in 1990 when it was the El Presidente and I enjoyed it even more this time. First off, the resort is super clean which is very important to me. The landscaping is gorgeous and the beach is breathtaking. It is very wide with white sand.
We received an upgrade simply for being Priority Club members which also included a late checkout (2pm) and free WiFi. I had the Priority Club card for many years but had not used it for some time and they treated me with VIP status. We even got different color wrist bands. If you are thinking of booking here it may be worth your while to contact Holiday Inn and receive your Priority number/card before you arrive. We found our room to be very clean with a flat screen tv; a small separate sitting area and table/3 chairs with a gorgeous view and a quiet bedroom area and nice bath. The shower was very large. We found the food to be good with lots of variety. My favorite was the open air beach cantina that served very good burgers and tacos. With a fantastic view and a cold Tecate beer what could be better? The resort is very close to the charming colonial town of San Jose del Cabo. We walked it in just 15 minutes. The art galleries; restaurants and shops are wonderful. The pools were very nice but I especially enjoyed the quiet adult pool with lovely Alma serving yummy drinks. I cannot state enough what a great time we had and we found our trip to be such a value. My husband wants to go back soon.

Room Tip: When we go again I will probably book the first floor lanai room. They have direct access to the poo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DTierman
Reviewed June 10, 2013

November is a great time to sneak away to San Jose del Cabo. Better yet to sneak away anytime. We had a blast at this hotel/resort last November. We caught one of those to good to be true deals that screamed book me! The resort was clean and nice. The service was pleasant. The buffet meals were for the most part very good, but there were some days that left a bit to be desired. Did I mention that the deal was toi good to be true. When you pay a little and then get a lot it is easy to forgive a few faults!! This is not your ultra luxury resort. However it is beyond your expectations for the price you will pay. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the ocean....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ttocsnodrog_2000
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the Holiday Inn April 5th to 12th. I wasn't sure what to expect because of the mixed reviews that I had read on tripadvisor. We got a last minute deal for a really good price,so as long as we had a clean room with decent food, I knew that we would be content.
Both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is situated on a beautiful piece of beach and borders along an estuary. We knew that the ocean was not swimmable at this location due to the undertow, but it was gorgeous beach to sit on with a cup of coffee in the morning and watch the sunrise. We were also lucky enough to be put in building one in a ground floor unit. We had a walkout patio with a table and 2 chairs and a hammock. We also had a great view of the adult pool, ocean and estuary. We enjoyed many walks along the estuary, observing the huge variety of birds that frequent the area. This path also takes you into the town of San Jose del Cabo.
Because we were visiting the hotel in the off season, we knew that not all of the restaurants would be open all of the time. The buffet was always open, along with one of the alacarte restaurants. You had to make reservations for the alacarte restaurants, which wasn't too busy during the off season, but I could see the lines being quite extensive during peak months. The buffet food was quite good but did not vary greatly from day to day. However, saying that, there was always something good to eat. Also, the snack shack by the beach had tasty tacos.
The entertainment was only every second night and started at 9pm. This is earlier than most resorts that I've been to. Good for families, however, if you're a couple looking for things to do after that, you are very limited. There is a small karaoke bar that is open to midnight, but it fills up fast. If you are looking for an action packed resort to go to, this is not the resort for you. It is a perfect resort to go to for rest and relaxation. It has a quiet adult pool with a bar right beside it with the best bartenders in the resort working them.
In other reviews that I have read, it mentioned that the resort look tired and needed a facelift. The rooms are a little dated and the furniture scuffed up, but the room was immaculate. Also, because the resort is older, the cacti,trees and shrubs are mature and the landscaping is beautiful.
Overall, we had a great trip and the resort exceeding our expectations.

Room Tip: Building One, main floor is beside the adult pool with a great view of the ocean and estuary. First...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple