“Our first all inclusive....but not the best choice, I give it a very good because is right on a nice clean beach”

Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was our first “all inclusive” stay, my daughter 23 and me 53. I had no idea where to stay and to be truthful, I am a thrifty traveler and this time I paid for it. …… I chose the Holiday based on the cost it was the least expensive. The room was clean, but nothing to write home about. Bathroom was a little mildew and the water didn't drain as well.
I hadn’t the slightest idea about the difference between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. San Jose del Cabo is not to be confused with Cabo San Lucas (something that is not clearly state at least not by me. The Holiday in was once known as El Presidente according to the locals and a “senor” of hotels “back in the day” and is located in the “Zona Hotelera of Cabo San Lucas, It is the last hotel on this strip, along with the Barcelo, the Grand Mayan, Cabo Azul, Royal Solaris.

1.Let me start with the plus, if you want quiet, tranquility this is it, large clean beautiful beach (that hardly no one uses) we took long walks each morning. If you face the beach go left, easier flatter and less coarse sand. Plenty of bottle water in your room.

2.Very little vendors, I may have seen only two and they were regulars.

3.Go out of the hotel and the first round about make a right on boulevard Antonio Mijares . If you like to exercise and walk off all the food that you ate……..go to the center of town. This is a little town that shows the way, “the old Spanish way of doing towns” where the center “town square” is a park gazebo, an old historic catholic church. You will pass the hospital, the university, the fire department, quaint little shops and restaurants, a post office, the red cross. It was a fun easy 15 min walk if you take it slow.

4.If you keep going straight on Valerio Gonzalez Canseco street you will find the ”MEGA” grocery store. Make a right from la Mega and you can walk to “Walmart”. (less than 10 min walk to la mega) (about 20 min walk to walmart)

5.Go across from the circle (cross the street) from the Mega grocery store and take the bus to Los Cabos 45 min, $23-27 pesos (which equals 2.25-2.50 dollars depending on your exchange) It is safe, they run until 11pm., beats $35 + on a taxi)

6.DAY TRIP: Go to the side street of Walmart and you will find two bus terminals. If you would like to go to a little town (pueblo) called Todos Los Santos or T.Santos this is where you take the bus. Todos los Santos is where the famous Hotel California, from the Eagles song……..for those who know who the Eagles are….. This is a one hour trip, nice little artist town, dating back to the 1700’ built by the Jesuits. The hotel wanted 1,680.00 for the two of us approx $130.00. Very safe, comfortable buses called “El Aguila” means the Eagle. They will also take you to La Paz. Safe road, not much scenery other than beach, dessert cactus, a house here and there, and little town of Pescadero. We made that a day trip, then came back to Cabo San Lucas for the Sunset dinner cruise at 4pm which was a blast, open bar and dinner and a whole lot of fun. We did the Sunset cruise with Costa, and the crew was fantastic. The cruise is 2.5 hrs, and then we came back to the hotel but the local buses around 7:30pm Lots of other people take the bus. (Americans) and the bus stops at most of the hotels along the way. Dreams, secrets, las olas, the Westin, Melia and so on…..

The negative of staying in San Jose del Cabo (neg for some)
1.If you like the loud, hustle and bustle or if you are a spring breaker, then Cabo San Lucas is for you, don’t choose San Jose del Cabo, unless you are afraid of the public transportation (which I already told you it was ok with me) If you stay in San Jose del Cabo then you have to spend approx $35 going and $35 coming into Cabo San Lucas. If you can, and don't mind taking public transportation then it you are fine.

2.Breakfast was great, 4-5 different fruits, cantaloupe, honey dew, watermelon, pineapple, papaya, yogurt, oatmeal, French toast, anyway good variety, omelets, eggs to order, well you get the pic, not much you can do to ruin breakfast.

3.Lunch was saved by the salad, and dinner was saved by the show (sometimes) They did have I think on Easter, huge tasty tiger shrimp, they were delicious.

4.I would rather have 1-2 entries well done than abundance. Two places for lunch, dinner and breakfast. Two choices of a la carte dinner ;which you always have to reserve. Reservations start at 10:00, we did this twice and did not have any problem making the reservations. sitdown dinners are ok.

5.Dinner and show was nice, the crowd was a little dull……people are not as friendly anymore.

6.The staff was courteous, but not very talkative, it gave me the feeling that they were threaten if they talked to you for too long. They work very hard, one reason why I don’t often like to travel to Latin America. I always feel that the staff is underpaid and overworked, I can’t take that, but that is a personal issue……………

7.The waste of food!!!!! Serve yourself what you are going to eat. If you don’t feel you are going to like it. Serve yourself a tiny spoonful try it and then get up and get what you really like. The food is there for at least 4 hrs, so no one is taking it away………..I saw tables of the same family and each served themselves plates full of pastries and food only to leave the food. What a waste!!

8.The drinks, I don’t really drink to get drunk, but I ordered maybe 6 drinks which had no alcohol, not sure if the alcohol is water down? Even when I gave a tip, like someone suggested in one of the write ups, it didn’t help, so I stop ordering. You were just drinking sugar flavored water.
9.Sorry, I probably would go back, but all inclusive is not for me. You really can only eat two meals. Breakfast, and either lunch or dinner. I would like to do Cabo San Lucas

lots of families with kids, i guess because of the offer that kids eat free, but for some of us that do not have small kids there are no perks.

Nor a negative: The staff works very hard, but not overly friendly. The front desk staff was very nice, the gentleman that works the snack bar, and the waiter that served us during our sit down dinner at Frutas restaurant. I said I would get their names. Also the lady that is at the bar in the adult area gazebo, and the lady that took reservations had genuine smile. The lady that cleaned our room was great. I said I would get names, but forgot………

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We have all kinds of guests lec77, but reading your review I knew right away that you're a wanderer. Every place you visit has local attractions, and our guests like you love to go and explore our destination. Thank you for all the useful tips for future travelers and I might just keep your comments for a 411 on what to do in Cabos. The Hotel is part of the city's heritage, and we try to uphold its history the best we can. There's always room to improve, so thank you for the pointers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

the only reason we stayed here because we got a good deal on all inclusive package (airfare, hotel & car) altogether for arnd $1200 for 2 people for 3 nights. I really have a TOTAL mixed feeling for this so called resort, although I don't feel like in a resort at all, i still have good feeling for cabo san lucas & feeling sad to leave the city because i have to leave the nice beaches around this city.

Positives:
*this place is located at san jose del cabo, so it's not so far from san jose cabo aeropuerto
*within some distance you could reach MEGA grocery store & walking distance you could go to fisherman plaza where you can find restaurants to eat if your hotel doesn't provide you with great food
*some staff are friendly & helpful. Front desk people are positive people & from partial oceanview we've got upgraded by our request into oceanfront or suites without getting charged more, I really appreciate this from the front desk person. I chose oceanfront because i wanted a lil' less noisy. Suite is the rooms downstairs with hammock on the front of the room, but it's probably bigger in size for family & closer to the pool where the entertainment going to make some noise.
*the beach is pretty clean looking, it's probably good just for a walk
*the room oceanfront was not bad, it's not super luxurious, it's a lil outdated but just decent. it's clean
*we went to another dinner restaurant called napa's in this hotel. it's standard, i just had my salads, pasta was ok, sparkling wine was nice. they have mushroom pizza, the cheese is a lil too much but i was more fulfilled in this restaurant than the rest they offer in this hotel
*2 complimentary bottles of water in your room and you may ask for more if need to the staff
*They give you enough bath towels in your room
*free wifi, but they can be slow/no connection sometimes

Negatives:
*The lobby is just an ok rated, it's not a luxury-looking what they called a resort. Oh well my imagination of resort is a place where you look at the lobby and you feel relaxed already. Instead they put a cactus where it will look more like a dessert in the lobby area. Somehow they need to re-vamp everything in the lobby area, starting from the sitting area for guests is right next to the frontdesk area where it's not inviting at all because you'd have to go down steps a lil bit of stairs and the chairs look very uncomfortable, woodsy old looking. I was kind of negative bfr came to the hotel because of the long immigration lines in the airport. And then when i arrive, i have to see the waiting area i feel even more negative about this hotel already. Not so much light so it's rather dark even though it's at daytime, not so interesting looking lobby area. They should put nice colorful sofas & more beachy resort kind of type whereat will soothe every guest that come in what they called this as a 'resort'
*the front desk is nice people, but they don't really know where i could go for vegan/vegetarian food so i have to do my own research for that
*they need more people to work in the front desk so it's not so long to wait to check in/out
*sometimes i can smell horse manure around the lobby/hotel surrounded area. It may be from the beach, the horses are passing by sometimes at the beach area. It shouldn't smell like that in the lobby especially when you just arrive.
*beach: people says that you can't swim in it, but when i came, there was some waves but it wasnt that big & some people really swim in it. So if you really want to swim in it, you better see the wave if it's possible to swim in it. I didn't swim in it because it wasn't the calmest but it wasn't too wild either, but i don't like to risk my life you know, i'd rather go to the beach somewhere else that is more calm
*pool: i didnt even explore it. everything in this so-called resort is not inviting me to do activities here
*breakfast is not so impressive. They have variety like pancakes, waffles, hotcakes, sausages, potatoes. There is buffet breakfast but not everything is fresh, the grapefruit i ate was sour. the wheat bread was taste kind of weird. the beans i think also from the cans. The potatoes taste kinda weird as well. the peach colored juice taste also doesnt taste good, the celery juice is ok. I feel like they save the food from the other days in the refrigerator and just smell it if its okay and serve it to the guests...which is really badd for guests, i don't think everything is fresh and i don't think i want to have breakfast here anymore.
*lunch daytime here you could go to the outdoor bar and get some drinks. i ordered wine and it tastes like the worst wine in my whole life. the drinks are just below the standard and you can't really expect nice cocktails here except maybe beer from the can is just way better tasting.
the food you could get some chicken or fish with small tortilla bread with guacamole. it's basically like snack at midday. I saw the chef was kinda rude when he serve the bread he didn't do it nicely instead he's flipping it to the plate like serving to the dogs, now that guy needs to be retrained or fired for being so rude, it's like he's doing a favor to us.
*went to outdoor dinner buffet and the veggies some comes from can, not so much options for vegetarian folks. i wasn't impressed at all.
*the drink: i arrive midday and i went to the bar in the middle
*the bracelet that you have wear during your stay here hurts my skin & my partner's skin. it's too sharp for our skin especially during take a shower or if you want to caress your partner. They should change the material of the bracelet into paper unrippable type of bracelet. I really hate the stupid bracelet, have some scratches around my body and it hurts!
*be careful also rubbing against your skin to the wall of the end of your bathroom. Their design is very bad that it hurts the back of my palm so now i'm bruising. They have sharp edges on the bathroom wall.
*bed sheet was just standard cheap sheet, not so soft like 5 stars do! not so good for my sensitive skin
*amenities is not so complete, we only have shampoo/conditioner, body lotion & thats all, the rest we probably need to call to the housekeeper to get it like: shower cap, shaving kit, toothbrush. Just put everything in the room what's wrong right?? they don't have slippers either. They don't have robes for guests
*wifi connection is just slow, sometimes it's just gone, maybe they should put more routers in some areas, it's so annoying with wifi with no power sometimes

Conclusion:
I would probably never come back to this place nexttime i go to los cabos because i'm very picky about hotel, i need a better hotel next time because this hotel is not the most luxurious place and the all thing about all-inclusive, i'd rather eat outside than to have awful food but saves money. i would rate this hotel good for budget type. From my point of view, if you don't mind the upscale or hip kind of place, just want something to throw in and not sensitive and difficult kind of person, you can be here in holiday inn. It's pretty clean place & outdated in style but if U don't care about all of this and you just an easy going person and wants to save money, this place should be perfect for you. For me next time, eh...i have to choose somewhere else cuz i'm such a sensitive person who wants everything to be nice! :D

Room Tip: oceanfront would be the best room because it's less noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I strongly believe that sometimes mscuteness a guest and a Hotel don't click, so I think that happened with you and us. We're very sorry for the small details that snowballed into a not so good experience. However as you mention maybe we weren't the right fit for you during your trip, so I can only say thank you very much for your patronage and I wish that you have an amazing stay the next time you visit our destination.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This San Jose beach resort is ideal for families, couples or anyone who wants a more peaceful option from Cabo.
Tips for this all-incusive:
- outdoor dinner buffet on the beach - best dinner venue as long as they serve Mexican food. The a la carte venues that with more Westernized options is not worth it for value and flavour.
- the expanse and quiet of the beach is amazing, though water is apparently not swimmable (strong undertow, no lifeguard) - do not leave towels on loungers as they charge $35 per lost towel or towel card.
- great staff all around
- only main floor level rooms have balconies along with hammocks - all upper level rooms have no balconies
- worthwhile to rent a car starting $65/day (from resort) to explore Cabo, beaches along the corridor, and Todos Santos (90 min away)
- resort offers pub crawls to Cabo for $35pp from 8pm-2am
- in San Jose town, Shooters sports bar with rooftop patio has cheap beer + delicious chicken quesadillas
- worthwhile to walk around San Jose art district - galleries are expensive but unique and beautiful
- for best dinner out in San Jose: Tropicana Inn (has live music) or Tequila (great courtyard)

During Easter, this resort has a nice mix of visitors from around the world.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank p3traveller
You hit it right on the bullseye p3traveller with your Easter comment. It's one of our busiest periods and we get people from all over who want to come and enjoy the great fun under the sun in Cabos! You have a good eye for detail and it's interesting what you say about the Westernized food options. We want to offer Mexican food but sometimes the Mexican food our guests know is anything but, so our goal is to meet them halfway so you can leave with a sense that you've tasted the authentic local flavor.
Havelock, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife, myself and my two brothers and spouses visited this resort for one week beginning March 15th. We stayed in the adult wing (we are in late 60's, early 70's). The resort is at the very end of the hotel zone at San Jose del Cabo ( 20 minutes from the airport) and, about 25 miles from Cabo San Lucas.

The resort grounds are clean and well maintained. The rooms were clean and, while we had no problems with our room (we left notes in Spanish to make requests for items), my one brother had a hand towel shortage.

The food was reasonably good and there was plenty of it. The beef can be a little tough and, the chicken looked a little under-cooked. You must sign up for the a la cartes each day at 10:00 am the morning (get there early to avoid lineups). One drawback at "The Esplanade" (buffet and a la carte) is that you eat outside. We found that even in mid March, the evening temperature can be cool especially with the breeze. Take a heavier sweater or jacket. Look for a waiter named Ricardo, treat him well and, you will be treated well also.

The beach is huge, in fact, perhaps too large. It was over 200 yards from the adult pool to the water. There was no ocean swimming on any day we were there as the surf was quite high. The pilapas were all up close to the resort and, there were not too many of them.

During the day, there were three pool bars open and, one at the snack bar. There was no lobby bar or lounge bar open until 500 pm. While we enjoyed laying around the pool, we would have liked a spot to go and relax much like the resorts in Cuba or Dominican Republic (open sided but, under roof) where you could read a book, have a drink, meet with friends etc....

All in all, it was a decent vacation. I would have preferred that the whole resort was situated closer to the ocean.

Room Tip: Older folks should take adult wing, ground floor. Leave little thank-you cards (in Spanish) and the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Funny story, after Wilma hit Cancun the winds moved a lot of sand from some Hotels to our property over there, making the beach even longer! So apparently it runs in the company that we have expansive beaches and have to walk a little bit more than usual to get to the water's edge. Me personally, I like to see the huge crushing waves from Caribeño, where you have a nice shade under the palapa and can enjoy snacks and drinks almost all day long. Best suggestion I can give you Norm W! And tell your brother sorry for the towels!
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I thought being at an all-inclusive resort a person is safe. GUESS NOT!! My husband was sitting in the cantina enjoy some beverages with friends we met at the pool that afternoon. He went to the bathroom (which is down the hall) and on his way back to the table he got jumped. Two people jumped him and kicked him repeatedly. I was back at the motel room, when I got a phone call that my husband had been beat up and losing quite a bit of blood and I needed to come down to the lobby. I got dressed and was walking out the door when the front desk called and told me to hurry down to the lobby. When I was getting close a lady told me not to be mad at my husband because he did nothing wrong and that he got kicked alot. When I rounded the corner the ambulance was siting there waiting for me. They (medica) asked what hospital I want them to us take. It is a little overwhelming seeing your husband laying on stretcher.

A overnight stay, 13 stitches, very black and blue eye, lots of bruises, and blood loss and about $5000.00 later. All the holiday inn offered was money for a taxi ride back to hospital if needed. WOW
Someone gets hurt on my property and my insurance has to pay. Guess not at Holiday Inn in San Jose del Cabo.

Otherwise food was so-so. Maid did a good job. The ocean front lanei was worth it since we spent alot of time in the hammick.

I have been to several places in Mexico all-inclusive and non-inclusive, never thought I had to worry about this at all-inclusive. I thought they would watch out for their customers.

As to the two that beat my husband up-- I hope you made your mom, dad, girlfriend or wife proud of you. Carma is a [--] and I hope [--] like this happens to you someday. (Like on your 20th Anniversary) Thanks again for wrecking it for us.

P.s. to normal good people on vacation --- DON'T GET HURT AT THIS HOLIDAY INN CAUSE IT IS YOUR FAULT!!!!
Everyone that I told about this can't believe it happened at a Safe all-inclusive, and they didn't do anything to make this right with us.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank oceanloverinsd
I managed this situation personally oceanloversind. I was the Manager on Duty the day after the incident you described and the Hotel offered assistance to you and your husband, which you kindly declined. Whenever we have a situation like this we follow up, and both parties involved in a quarrel are advised that if such behaviour continues, the guests must leave the Hotel. We are truly sorry about this unfortunate situation but the Hotel did approach you as our guests to help.
Lowell, Indiana
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I am sitting on my balcony of my room 1329 as I write this. All good things must come to an end they say. We leave this beautiful resort in the morning. I stayed here 3 days with a good friend and we couldn't be much happier. From Leonardo, David and Raul at the from desk to Francisco and the ladies at the lunch grill by the beach to Alma at the adult pool bar the staff truly makes you feel like you are the most important person here. The staff are ALL truly amazing and the reason I am planning a trip back in October with my husband and child. Yes it is not 5 star. It is an older hotel and could a little facelift. What it is a clean, friendly resort. Breakfast buffet is wonderful. Lunch was great. Have a cheeseburger and chips with cheese. Dinner Napa was good. Buffet was good, but it is outside. Going to the steakhouse tonight. Pools are wonderful. Adult pool fairly quiet on the end of the property. Ocean too rough to swim but you can go to Cabo to do that for a day trip. We only stayed three days so we only went local. Highly recommend for the price. 1100 rooms are quiet. 3rd floor have balconies, bottom have patios with hammocks. Feel free to message for more info. If the Grand type resorts are a must then no, you won't be happy. Good priced, customer service oriented place that's clean then for sure you won't be disappointed. We didn't hear one complaint the entire time. I don't want to leave in the morning!

Room Tip: Quiet by adult pool. Balcony 3rd floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you damoore when you were still here! But from what I read our staff made sure you had a great time during your stay! We're not the flashiest Hotel in town (nor we intend to be, we're a no fuss property), but I firmly believe we have charm. And that comes from the people that I have the pleasure of working with every day, plus of course our amazing guests!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful trip and stay at the Holiday Inn. We are all different so we will all have our own opinions and that's ok. Do we all feel the same about a movie? Life is what you make of it, it's your responsibility to have fun and enjoy what you can with what you have. My suggestion to the hotel would be dinner reservations. When I was one morning they placed the table outside and the line was on the walkway ... perfect, nice flow and not a cluster. The next day it was in Napa, a mess, no flow and people in everyone's way that wanted to wait in line or just wanting to have breakfast. I said to the young man that it's worked much better outside he agreed and said yes tomorrow. The next day still inside, the young man not there however a woman. Flow it what it needs. If you are nice and say good morning with a smile it's amazing what you get in return. Oh and to the woman who flipped becasue she had a broken chair, find another one or just ask next time. My only pet peave, which has nothing to do with the hotel ... the beach it not your personal ashtray and/or trash can!!! Really people, do you do that at home? Take your butts and trash with you.

Room Tip: The rooms with hammock looked wonderful. We liked our room, building 2000 ... however only there to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gail48_10, I'm the young man (thank you for the compliment by the way!) who was there taking reservations! Usually it's inside Napa but you have a strong point when you say that it's not clear where the line should go so it winds up looking all messed up. While when it was outside it was very quick and simple and you even had the morning breeze now that days are warming up. So we'll definitely continue with that best practice!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#20 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!