“Very Nice Two-Week Getaway”

Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just returned last week after a two week stay. Located at the end of Hotel Row, this resort offered the quiet setting my wife, son(who competed in the Ironman Competition), and myself had hoped for when we booked this trip. Very impressed with the cleanliness of the gardens and pools. The staff were fantastic. Racio is a a gem and hope the management appreciates what she offers at the activities pool. If you are expecting granite countertops, marble floors, and all the amenities of a 5-Star resort at a 3-Star price, you will be sadly disappointed. This is an older hotel, but believe me, they try their best to accommodate you in every way. After reading other reviews before leaving, I was a bit skeptical as to what to expect regarding the food, but have to say we were pleasantly surprised with the variety, the quality, and the different atmospheres we experienced. (Santiago S., only one complaint comes to mind. Your bar-b-que ribs need to be cooked longer and slower to meet my approval..☺☺). You will notice the majority of the clientele of this resort are Canadian. Having lived the majority of my life 100 miles or less from their border with the U.S., I know they are a fun-loving, friendly people who know how to vacation(excuse me) "go on holiday". ☺☺ They always make for a fun time, especially around the activities pool and party bars!! I am proud (and thankful) to call them neighbor..
Tips if this is your first time to Cabo:
*Nights are very cool even in late March. Brings clothes to allow for this.
*Book rooms in the 4000 area only if you want to be centrally located in the middle of the action.
*Rent a car at the airport if you plan to go to Cabo at all to shop, golf, or fish(20 miles away).
The $50 cab fair over and back covers about 3-4 days rental.
*Do not bother sitting down with anyone who wants to sell you a time-share, whether they
approach you at the airport, hotel, Mega Mall, or shopping center. The "freebies" just not
worth the hassle!!!
*Don't use the phone in the lobby to make long-distance calls...EXPENSIVE!!
*And finally, don't be afraid to tip if you like the service.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a different room if you are not satisfied with the first one they giv...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DBF2013
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

I'll get right on it DBF2013 on the BBQ ribs! Because Cabos is hosting the Ironman competition for 2014 and 2015, so we'll be seeing you next year! I hope your son had a good time during the race and thank you for the useful tips to future travelers. Always love it when I read a "very impressed" in any of our reviews, so thank you for that!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos is a fine place to stay if your expectations are right. The Holiday Inn just recently bought the hotel, formerly the Presidente Hotel operated by the Intercontinental Group with their grand opening in 1999. Not much has been done to the place since it was the Presidente, except that it was a 5 star resort back then, and now the Holiday Inn runs it more like a hard 3 star.

There are a total of 4 pools on the property and the Holiday Inn does not heat any of them. This is somewhat problematic if you are hoping to enjoy the water as it is simply too cold to go in and of course you can't swim in the ocean. There are two fairly large pools with swim up bars. One is in the centre of the property and is the activity pool where they sometimes do water aerobics or water volleyball. The third pool is just off to the left from the activity pool and is a small circular pool, formerly used as a hot tub, but now as it is not heated its just another cold pool, that is often dirty. The final pool is for adults only, it is a bit small and we found the water to be dirty frequently because of its proximity to the estuary and palm trees. Overall, the pool situation was a bit of a let down if you were expecting to spend your days splashing around and hanging out at the swim up bars (which by the way had a bee infestation problems because of all the sweet syrups). The other things to keep in mind is while the beach is magnificent and the Holiday Inn commands a large geographic area of beach front, you can’t swim in the water due to extremely strong currents so the pool is your only option. Final thought on the pool situation, there are not enough loungers for the number of people at the resort. So what folks do is they get up early and put their towels on the chairs, then go for breakfast and leisurely make their way to their chairs around noon. In the meantime, you can’t find a seat that isn’t reserved. A very frustrating exercise each morning.

The other way it is clear this place is a 3 star is through the food. For breakfast it is always buffet and depending upon the time your up, that dictates where you eat. From 7am to 11 am, "Napa" serves. Then from 8 am to 10:00 am "Frutas y Flores" serves. It is the exact same thing between restaurants and the options range from fruit, toast, omelets made to order, eggs, bacon, etc... For the most part it is a decent way to start your morning. For lunch, they keep Napa only open and again its buffet. We felt the lunch buffet fell short significantly. Lots of dried out, over cooked meats and bland soups. If the lunch buffet didn’t intrigue you, the only other option was Caribeno which is a burger beach place. Also apart of it is a Taco stand, but don’t get too excited, both the tacos and the burgers were not good. The taco stand sits out for over 5 hours during the day so you end up with dry and over heated nacho cheese. Finally for dinner your options are the "Explanada" (which is an outdoor area roped off for the daily dinner buffet, with plastic deck chairs to sit on and then either Napa or "Terraza" restaurants (they rotate days) for an attempt at A La Carte. The dinner buffet is not bad, depending upon the day. The food theme changes from French, Hawaiian, Seafood, American, Tex-Mex, International, and Mexican. It seems to get better the later on in the week when you head towards the Mexican night. The Al La Carte restaurants are terrible. I never thought I would say this as usually you can’t go wrong at resorts with their flag ship restaurants but it simply was bad. For start, they only take reservations for the restaurant daily, and after 10 am. There is always a huge line up and all the early sittings get taken by people that had camped out for hours waiting to make the reservation, so you are looking at eating at 8 or 9 pm. Secondly, they only fill to 25% capacity, which is ridiculous as we went during high season and this contributes to the difficulty getting in. So once you finally make it in, your thinking this has to be good as there has been such a build up... Its not! No one dresses up, it is very casual. The food sounds fancy by title, for example, I ordered the surf and turf. What I got was a few pieces of overcooked fatty flank steak on a skewer with two small shrimp and a green pepper. It came with a side of corn on the cob to which I asked the waiter if it was pre-cooked and just reheated as it tasted rubbery, and he replied it was. Then I got a smear of lumpy mashed potatoes. For desert, a stale, what seemed like a previously frozen chocolate cake that was not good. They do give you the option of spending an extra $20 USD to have access to the upgraded menu option (see my picture section for details) but I don’t recommend spending the money as you will be disappointed in the quality and taste. The Al La Carte restaurants were such a let down and the service at these places was disappointing too. The last option you have is room service. For a $5 USD fee, you can order to your room from a limited breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. See my pictures for a copy of the menu. I recommend if you do this option, to order a bunch of drinks as they come in cans and you can stock your mini fridge with it. You also need to be really clear when ordering as several times they forgot or missed something we ordered.

The rooms were very clean and, despite being a bit outdated in decor, they are functional. I really had only two problems with the rooms, firstly, the walls are paper thin. So hopefully you get a good neighbor as otherwise you may be woken up early or kept up late. Also, since the walls are so thin, you can hear the nightly entertainment quite loudly. The second issue I had was the King size bed was like sleeping on concrete, it was so hard. Made it difficult to enjoy sleeping! If you are looking for more quiet, the rooms by the adult pool and estuary are better, but they have a lot of bugs due to their proximity to the lake. The center of the resort, the rooms are probably the loudest as your right by the music speakers. Probably the best balance are the rooms in the 4000 block. In terms of rooms, you want a ground floor unit as they have been slightly updated and come with hammocks and a garden patio. The rooms on the second and third floors are older and they may or may not have a small balcony, but they are really not great. If you pay for a cheaper room, then upon check in, discretely tip the attendant $30-$40 USD and they will upgrade you to a nicer room.

Entertainment at the resort is lacking, which can be a bit challenging in Los Cabos as it is already a laid back environment. See my pictures for the daily activity list, but basically they try to do some sporting events but often they don’t get much interest so they don’t proceed. The cooking class consisted of an activity coordinator making guacamole, so cutting up veggies. It was lame. The towel and flower design was ok, but everything is really low budget. The nightly shows, if you can call it that, consist usually of a key board and microphone with someone singing. What you would expect of a three star but certainly not worth venturing out special for.

They have one formal (by that I mean indoor) bar on the property called Patio Cantina, but it gets packed early as its small and so usually its hard to get a table. Same drinks are served, just in a proper glass and not plastic cup. They sometimes have singers or piano players which can be nice. It says no smoking in there, but if someone does decide to smoke they don’t stop them, which usually sets off a chain reaction.

The resort has a spa inside which was good. I had a massage done for $45 USD (see my pictures for a full price and service listing). They took me outside to a hut on the side of the beach and I thought the young girl did a good job. If you are inclined, just outside the hotel across the street there is the same massage hut place, but they charge ten dollars less and are just as good. They are cash only.

There are two places worth visiting during your stay. San Jose is the closet town, a 70 Peso cab ride or a long walk mostly up hill. The town is cute with lots of shops and a great market on Saturdays. They also have great restaurants. I highly recommend the Tropicana for a good meal. Transportation into Cabo San Lucas is more pricey, see our pictures for a price listing. Cabs run you $35 USD one way. But the hotel offers a shuttle service in three plans: Plan A leaves at 10am with a pick up at 4:30pm. Plan B leave at 3:30pm with a pick up at 9:00pm and Plan C leaves at 8pm with a pick up at 1am. The cost is $25 USD per person round trip unless there is more than 2 people signed up, then it drops down to $13 USD per person round trip. The only challenge is that you have to stick to their time plan and they drop you off at the main shopping plaza in Cabo so you don’t have many options. But Cabo San Lucas is a must to visit. They have great shopping, lots of restaurants (I recommend Romeo y Julieta) and most of the excursions are there too. Also, if you are a night club person, this is where all the action is. You can take a water taxi for cheap across the marina or even to see the famous lover’s beach.

Overall, if you expected a three star hotel in the quiet Los Cabos area, then the Holiday Inn Resort is the way to go. It is the first stop on the bus transport from the airport and location wise it is good as Los Cabos goes. But if you are looking to enjoy many amenities, have great food and service, and relax in luxury you will be disappointed. Spend the extra $400 a person to stay in another luxury resort. I for one will not be back, but if your pocket book is strained, this may be a good option for you.

Room Tip: Best rooms for a balance between location and quiet are in the 4000 block. You want a ground floor...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Global_Travelor2009

There's just one thing that I wanted to point out Global_Travelor2009. When you mention that you weren't able to relax in luxury in our Hotel, I wholeheartedly agree that'll never happen. We're not a luxury Hotel, so what we strive for is a nice bed and a savory meal for a fair price. There are many options down the Hotel corridor in San José and San Lucas, so maybe if any prospective clients are also looking for a luxury resort another option could be a better fit.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I recently returned from an 8 night stay at the holiday inn Los Cabos. Before reading any further, you should know that my husband and I love Mexico and travel a great deal down here. This was our first time in cabo though with our thug daughter.

Upon arriving at 12am, I was disappointed to see at check in only 2 staff working the front desk. This was a very long process. In the past, we had always been greeted with some sort of drink or a big welcome. This did not occur. We weren't even given a map to find our room. We felt compelled to have the bell boy help us to our room just to find it! And that wouldn't have happened at 1am!

The rooms are not well maintained. The floors are not swept. I found wrappers and discarded food under the beds and napkins that remained there all week. We tipped in case you think that's why! Towels and bottled water were a constant struggle to get. They never replenished the fridge (which should happen daily) and towels were always gotten by taking them off the cart, tracking down a maid or calling the front desk. The towels were disgusting and needed to be thrown out.

The beds were awful and so were the pillows. My chiro is going to love me for the next little while!

We found the service to be the worst ever experienced. We would sit down at the buffet and not be served or asked for drinks. Forget about refills or at least getting water! Tracking down cutlery was the same. We would ask for coffee and it would seem like a burden. They were also very quick to move you out of the buffet restaurant when changing it for the a la carte. Be aware of this if eating late. Also note, that almost each time we had coffee served the cups had cracks and chips in them.

The food was ok. Not much changed throughout the week visit in terms of selection. I found it odd that there was never fruit served at dinner time.

The property overall is not well maintained throughout the day. The place was littered with plastic cups and seagulls flying overhead waiting for food. There would be the odd time that staff would go and pick up cups, but they'd only grab the re-usable and leave the disposable ones. The beach towels were the same quality as the room towels and were thin and dingy.

Swimming is not recommended. It is very dangerous. However, I found it odd that there were very little chairs outside on the beach. The beach is so beautiful and vast it would have been nice to have more choices to sit. We just grabbed towels when on the beach.

I spoke to several guests who found the same issues/concerns. This was a disappointing stay. I expected more with a 4 star rating. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if that's what you're expecting too.

Highlights:
-Kids pools that you don't have to worry about your kid in
-amazing views
-safe feeling when compared to other parts of Mexico
-desserts were yummy
-tacos for lunch were amazing outside the fruitas buffet

I think if you're new to the all inclusive, this will be a fine choice. But, if you're a veteran such as myself and my husband, it won't be for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank soapie_44

The one thing I love about TripAdvisor soapie_44 is that it helps savvy travelers such as you and your family to have a very accurate impression of a Hotel before they arrive. Many guests leave very detailed comments explaining every little detail, from the lay of the land to which server is best when going to a specific restaurant. For seasoned veterans doing one's homework is a must, I'm sorry that for your stay we weren't able to measure up.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just returned from Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos, and had a beautiful vacation. I read a lot of reviews and was ready for everything, but you could tell they have been working on all of the negative aspects spoken of in the reviews.
We had booked a Pool-View Lanai room and At check-in we requested a room in the 4000 block and were given it right away. Couldn't have been happier. Upon entering the room though, we found that it apparently had been started on the cleaning but not finished. There were no garbage bags in the cans, no towels, no shower curtains, and the floor was dirty. We needed to eat so we stopped by the front desk and informed them and went to eat. When we returned to the room it was all taken care of for us. We had a safe and a refrigerator in our room which we had read that you must request. We were in 4108 which some have posted are noisy with the night life, but we enjoyed our room. It was local to everything and in the evening we could set on the lanai and listen to the music.
The pools were nice but it is hard to get a chair. People start throwing their towels on the chairs by 6am and they are pretty much all taken by 8am. Some days can be a little windy later in the afternoon, but we found that the adult pool and bar was blocked from the wind and made it a little nicer.
The service at this resort was awesome. Everyone was friendly and willing to help. We had no problems with them throughout our stay.
The food was good, at sometimes spectacular. The taco stand was outstanding. We arrived in the middle of the week and had good choices for our meals but after the weekend it became busy and they opened up more choices. It was the same food but just more availability, like the taco stand went from every other day to every day.
The shows were okay and you could tell they were trying their hardest, but they were still in need of some practice. It still made a nice touch with the buffet for dinner though.
If you decide on a snorkeling tour, try to get information on the weather in order to pick the day. Most of the days were rough and they didn’t advise beginners to go off the boat, of course nothing is mentioned until you are half-way to the spot. We had one day that that was smooth there were not even any waves. If it is only snorkeling you want and not the party boat, I would suggest bringing your own equipment and taking a cab/bus to Chileno bay or Santa Maria and snorkeling on your own.
We used Transcabo to book our airport transfer and it was well worth the stress it saved not having to worry about cabs and the like. Local buses are widely available and very cheap, but we chose to just walk locally or catch the shuttle to Cabo($10).
Overall it was a great vacation and I would do it again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert I
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Firstly Robert I I'd like to thank you because as you say we do try our best to work on all the issues that we have, in order to improve the service to our guests. We're very happy to re-confirm that we now have minibars and safety deposit boxes in all sleeping rooms! We're at full speed for this week so that's why we opened more choices for every meal period. From the three show crews that we have one is a bit more amateurish, but the kids do a great job and they dance their tukhus off!

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

The sunrises greet you with birdsongs to the beat of the ocean's wave. And in the same harmony, the staff was so very attentive,accommodating and friendly. I arrived home only to begin saving to go back again. The serenity iof the local city of San Jose del Cabo, and their bird sanctuary make this Holiday Inn a safe and wholesome vacation for families and those seeking tranquility. It was amazing to see a bunch of kids never screaming nor crying. I noticed airline pilots stayed there 2 days ago. How could anyone give a bad rating to this place? Realize if you need a five star experience, this may not be for you. But we were treated like royalty.

• Stayed: March 2013
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

I liked the thing about being treated like royalty skippybrownie! And you know what, I think even Queen Elizabeth fancies some fish and chips every now and then, which goes to show that a nice room and a tasty meal at a fair rate ain't the worse you can get! I agree with you that this time around we've had very well-behaved children so far! The new swing set and slides next to the family pool are a very popular attraction, so the sound you'll most probably hear from them is laughter!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Truly enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn. We were there from March 7th to 17th. We had done the upgrade to a balcony before we left with suggestion from someone on this site directly with the hotel that went great, We were in a great location. It was a very quite place although all the beach chairs still managed to get full and spoken for early in the day. The beach went on forever, and the vendors were not pushy at all, just a no thanks or no gracias sufficed. Food was great, loved the outdoor eating areas and the nightly entertainment. Something else which I loved was at the outdoor "caribein"???It was a hut were at lunch you could get hamburgers, fries, nachos etc. well at night there was alway a little band or a one person band playing for a couple of hours. I love dancing so we danced but there was hardly anyone ever there. The most 10 people with only my husband and I dancing but mostly maybe 6 other people. Very strange.

Room Tip: go for the room on the main floor, with a hammock and not near the outdoor restaurant. South side wa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Funnily enough Dudums not everyone's in the party mood all the time! For the high season we're opening the Caribeño snack shack after its regular schedule (you can have a juicy burger and a delicious piña colada from 11 am to 6 pm) for a second family-oriented entertainment (starting at 8 pm and through 11:30 pm). Live music is always there so it's another option for anyone who wants to keep having a good time!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Hotel was really nice and located right on the beach. The rooms were clean and spacious. Our room was basic and still came with a sitting area and outside patio with a hammock. The events started around 10 o'clock and included beach volleyball, bingo, and trivia. It is up to you if you want to get involved but it was a great chance to mingle with other guests. Rocio did an awesome job getting people of all skill levels to have a great time playing volleyball and ping pong together. She is a tough ping pong player and you can possibly get a free bottle of tequila if you can beat her. The AI was great, they didn't ask your room number every time we got a drink. You could also eat at any time as much as you wanted. If the restaurants were closed or we didn't feel like leaving the room, room service was available for 50 pesos delivery charge. There were also shows at night that weren't really my style, but people seemed to like them. The hotel was super nice and i would strongly recommend it to anyone that asked!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Travelguy380

Thank you for the compliments Travelguy380! The last report from the beach volleyball court was that matches are going on for over three hours because people love to play under the sun! And Rocio is great at ping-pong, but really the one to beat is Max our Sous Chef at foosball! You can find him almost every night next to the towel shack playing with our guests, while keeping a close watch at the outside buffet, now that's what I call multitasking!