“good 4 star, what we expected”

Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel was clean and staff was friendly (thank you Dalia for all of the extra attention in helping us have a great experience for my husband's birthday!) Food was average I agree - but was appropriate for a 4 star. Breakfast was the best meal (made to order ommelettes and friend plantaines!) Property is beautiful, estuary and walking path to the town all make for a great location. We had the beach to ourselves! Choice of 3 pools was great (one quiet/ adults only, one for the partiers, and one for families).

Room Tip: rooms in the '3000' can be noisy as they are near the main lobby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura G
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I have to agree with you Laura G about the location. As I've metioned on other replies we've been blessed with a wonderful spot in paradise. The other day I was walking around and saw some guests standing on the beach looking at something, I went to join them and they were looking at a turtle laying its eggs! And I love the omelettes too! The other day I had one with tomato, ham, and cheese and it was awesome!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We got together with over 30 family members from all over the place, and everyone with a different budget. Price fit everyone. Breakfast and Lunch was good, reservation dinners were awesome, themed outside dinners were horrible. Shows were not good. Staff was AWESOME!!! We requested a cake for our daughters baptism that we were celebrating as a family, the staff did the cake, got tables and service together for a party. A couple of the rooms had a smell, but the staff changed rooms for us immediately. Pools were very cold, but supportable in the mid day sun. Grounds were a B- (8), some lights were out, cracks, furniture in the hallways, but for the most part good. If you're looking for a great bang for your buck, this is a good place. If you think this is a 5 star resort for a steal of a price, move on. With a very large family, we would go back,.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower level with the walk out deck and hammock.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

I remember you Penegren! Your little girl is beautiful! The person in charge of the restaurant had a great time setting everything up for the baptism celebration, I think we'll even start promoting this service so thank you for the inspiration! We hope to see you soon for the next family outing!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I thought the staff makes this hotel. Me and 2 friends stayed at this resort and found the staff very accommodating from front desk to housekeeping, very hard workers and made our stay that much better. The hotel offered a free photo with a photo shoot that was so much fun not only did we get a great photo of the three of us we got some other great shots for our family hector was great at his job. The food was very health and fresh one of the girls was a vegetarian and always found something yummy to eat all of us ate so healthy we actually loss so much needed weight lol . While there we meet a lot of repeat cliental which is always a great thing, yes I would return!
Serena wright from white rock Bc

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Mairmai

Hi Serena! Hopefully you and your friends can become our next repeat guests! We're very happy you had a great time. I love the free picture too! We have a photography company in house in charge of taking pictures of our guests in all of our beautiful natural settings. It's always a great keepsake from your vacation. We actually want to start sharing those moments in the Cantina, so maybe next time you can post one of your photos on our pic wall!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

If u want to stay at a hotel that has terrible food and lack of staff than look no more this is the one u want!
I was just here for a week and honestly this place is a dump don't waste your time booking here!
I went out for dinner more than I ate at this place!

• Stayed: February 2013
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Food is an issue Sand101, I can't argue with that and as stated we're working constantly to improve our culinary offer. However as I've explained to other reviewers, we're more than happy to assist our guests while they're still on property, but once they check out it's difficult for us to correct the things that are bothering them. We're always available for when you want to reach out to us, I'm sorry we weren't able to deliver on your vacation.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

First, this was not a budget resort. It was the most expensive I've been to in a while and I have been to a lot of resorts all over the Caribean and West Indies. People who loved this place probably havent been to many resorts.

The room was average in size, partial ocean view with balcony, building 7. It overlooked the family pool but most of them do. Pretty quiet there actually compared to the adult pool which was noisy with loud music and megaphone commentary. The bathroom was cramped. The balcony was disappointing. The "railing" was a concrete wall 4 and 1/2 feet high so we had to stand to see out. Bad design. The bed was very comfortable.

The grounds were amazing as other have stated.

The food was mostly average. Sometimes poor and sometimes good. Holiday Inn advertises 2 ala carte and one buffet resaurant. Well the Napa is ala carte but the "carte" never changes, same 4 entres every day. The Napa is indoor and only open every other day.

The Terrace is outdoor and also open evey other day so there is really only one ala carte on any given day. The menu has four entres and this never changes either although I think one night a week both resaurants offer a different theme.

You need to make reservations at the Napa and Terrace.

The big buffet is in front of the stage and is also out doors. The entertainment starts at around 6 pm and goes on throughout the meal so it wont be a quiet dinner. Same food every night.

We watched a little of the entainment on one night only and it was garden variety so we didnt go back. No comment there.

The big family pool was warm and quiet. The adult pool was noisy as stated.

The ocean is not recommended for swimming at all every day.

There is only one really bar open by the Terrace and it is small but we always managed to get a seat for a couple of night caps before bed. It had the same lounge singer every night.

The other 2 bars were adjacent to the food areas and basically catered to them.They were brightly lit and had no music so nobody used them. And they close at 10 pm anyway.

My biggest complaint was the lack of staff. There was literally one bartender per bar including the pool bars. They had to serve line ups AND wash glasses when they ran out. They were very good at their jobs but clearly harried. I talked to a manager Raul one night when the line up at the main " bar " by the Terrace was particularily busy with a long line and he said he fix it tomorrow. Apparently "tomorrow" really does never come. It never got better. I heard alot of complaining about all of these issues from other guests as well.

Thanks to staff who were pleasant dispite having to do the work of three people.

We wont be back to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dave s

I apologize because apparently we didn't do a very good job at explaining the lay of the land dave s. The pool you mention as the adult pool is actually the activities pool, the adult pool is on the other side of the property and is very calm and serene, no megaphone. Also, for our dinners we have as you mention the a la cartes (alternating between 2 restaurants and 3 menus) and the buffets (alternating over a dozen theme nights). Thank you for the compliments on our staff, they really do work very hard to make sure all of our guests have a great time.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just returned (February 18-25) from a week at the Holiday Inn Resort. It is hard to understand why others have been critical of this resort. We have only great things to say about our vacation. Our two daughters (20 and 22) accompanied us and we were treated very well by all the staff at the resort.

Mario, Francisco, Alma, Rosita, Ariel, the concierge staff, David at the front desk and everyone else working at the resort were some of the friendliest people we have ever met! The food was great and plentiful, the entertainment was wonderful (we especially liked Saturday night when the resort highlighted the costumes and culture of each of the Mexican states) and unlike others, we LOVED eating outside every night where we could enjoy the ocean breeze and the moonlight. The gardens were beautifully looked after and so pretty in the evening.

We felt welcome and safe everywhere and ventured off the resort several nights, as well as enjoying a local bus ride to Cabo San Lucas and a 6:00am fishing charter from the San Jose del Cabo marina, out into the Sea of Cortez. Whales, pelicans, so much sea life all around us to take in and the lovely estuary right beside the resort. Now that we are home we are still talking about our visit to the beautiful Baja Peninsula and hope to return soon. We really thank all of you at the resort for welcoming us and making our family vacation everything we could have hoped for...

We have travelled to Cancun, the Mayan Riviera, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Jamaica, Barbados, Cuba, the Florida Keys and the Cayman Islands. I can't say I would return to all of these places but will return to the Baja.
The Vancouver Flavs

Room Tip: We recommend Building One, third floor balcony, ocean view. The rooms were quiet, the ocean view nic...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank maryfromvancouver
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you so much Vancouver Flavs! We're very happy you enjoyed your family vacation so much! I really don't have anything more to say than thank you! And we hope we can see you again next year! Mi casa es su casa!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at this resort. I did my homework and read many of the reviews before selecting this destination. I must admit that the biggest selling point was the great deal that was offered through Sunwings for their Los Cabo area destinations as usually we go to The Mayan Riviera or Puerto Vallarta - that and the fact that they offered a direct flight from Victoria for the first time. We got a ground floor room with a terrace and hammock. It looked out over some desert vegetation (cactuses etc) that attracted many beautiful bird species that don't occur in BC = as a birder, this was awesome as every morning I fetched coffee and we sat on the terrace watching Costa's Hummingbirds, Gila Woodpoeckers, Cactus Wrens, and Hooded and Scott's Orioles...oh yes, and beyond the vegetation we also had an ocean view - very nice. The bed was hard as advertised, but my wife and I like hard beds and slept very well there, especially since the evening temperatures didn`t require the use of a noise air conditioner. The food was better than expected as the reviews were not flattering. The diversity and quality wasn't up to the standards of other 4 and 4+ resorts we've stayed in, but it was plentiful and of good quality - neither one of us had any stomach issues during our stay. On the plus side, salad options were better than other resorts, and surprisingly, the three things we care most about (red wine, champagne and the coffee) were better that at most other resorts. The resort is well maintained with many staff constantly cleaning up all areas including the beach. The beach was awesome! We are active and love resorts with extensive beaches we can walk on. We walked as far as we could to the SW one day - it took us over an hour to get to a cliff we couldn`t pass - which happened to be beside a small beachside restaurant where we rewarded ourselves with a couple of cervesas. To the NE we walked as far as the marina (half hour) but one could continue past that if desired. We also walked into San Jose a couple of times. It only takes 15-30 mins depending on your route and speed. We preferred to walk into town along the estuary bird sanctuary immediately adjacent to the resort - again an exciting place if you like birds (5 species of herons and egret, Ospreys, Purple Gallinules and many other waterbird and songbirds). Then we`d walk back down the main street as it afforded a bit of shopping opportunities. San Jose seemed like a very safe town - we were very comfortable walking around, shopping and eating there. We went on the resorts bicycle tour the first day to familiarize ourselves with the town`s layout. This is a popular ride - it starts at 9.30 am but you need to get your name on the list in the book by the activity centre by 9 am. We also enjoyed a horseback ride along the beach - if you approach the guys with the horses on the beach it only costs $25 per hour - much less than if you book it elsewhere. Oh yeah - it didn`t rain for a single minute... this is desert country so it only rains in the fall - when they get floods, so you can count on a dry vacation. The weather was a bit cooler than PV and the Mayan Riviera, especially in the evenings, and the dining areas are often outside - so bring something for cooler evenings and try to sit beside a heater. That said, during the days when the sun was out, it was more than hot enough and we managed to burn a bit in the beginning. Personally, I enjoyed these temperatures more than the sweltering heat of PV as it enabled more outdoor activities. All in all, a very enjoyable vacation and I would certainly go back again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have patios and hammocks and you can still see the ocean - the patio has the effe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mykechutter

I didn't know we had an ornithologist in house mykechutter! As you experienced we're very fortunate to be situated next to a natural preserve, as most of the birds fly freely around the property. I love the little hummingbirds and there was even one time when a pelican landed right in the middle of the family pool! He felt just like another guest, and I think I even saw him pulling up to the pool bar for some ceviche! We'll be happy to be your hosts for next time so you can keep exploring!