“Good value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Richmond, Canada
“Good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

You can’t beat the location of this hotel! At the end of a long stretch of hotels, meaning less beach traffic. The beach is HUGE, although we did not attempt to swim in the ocean as the waves were pretty big. We stayed pool side.

Our check-in was a bit dodgy. My friend and I checked in and were given a one bed room (we are two females, perhaps we thought they’d infer we want two beds) on the far end of the resort. So we walked all the way back to the check in desk to tell them we needed two beds (which we specified when we booked). We were rebooked to a much smaller room and were told there were no two bedrooms on the ground floor (which we specified we wanted). Ground floor rooms have hammocks, safes, and patio access to the pools. Later we met a nice young family who told us they offered the front desk clerk $50 and were given a ground floor room with two beds. Dodgy. But hey it’s Mexico!

As for the food. Breakfast bar is amazing. Fresh fruit, pastries, an omelette station, and any other breakfast food you can imagine. We ate lunch mostly at the pool bar (hamburgers, hotdogs, etc) so I can’t vouch for the buffet. The problem with dinner is the food gets cold fast and the options are very limited. Each evening is themed and usually overs 3 or 4 different foods. We found the best way to get hot food is to order room service. $3 USD charge but so worth it!

Pools are beautiful. Staff are friendly. Don’t expect any glitz and glam. Good value for the $ though!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank D_Travel83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

What a great hotel! Beautiful scenery and great staff! My favorite part of the day was going to the activity pool to see Rosio who does the activities was amazing. She was very energetic and funny. She motivated people to get up and participate in the activities whether it was water aerobics, the great music or Mexican bingo. She truly made the activity pool a fun place to be. The themed buffets are great and they have alternatives such as restaurants. The only downfall was that the pool bar closed at 5pm and we would have to go to the lobby bar for drinks. I would still recommend this hotel and definitely will be returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Hi Justine!

Thank you very much for your feedback! We appreciate the props for Rocio, she's very good as you say and does her best to motivate our guests to participate in the differente activities we have around the pool. It's great that you liked the buffets and thank you for mentioning that we definitely offer alternatives to our guests restaurants-wise. Pool bars right now in the summer close at 6:30 pm, so I have to check out who was leaving early! And we'll be waiting for you when you come back for more fun in the sun! In a weird turn of events today we've had rain all day, but in Cabos it's sunny almost 365 days a year, so you'll have a blast!

Have a great day!

Santiago Silis
Executive Assistant Manager
santiago_silis@grupopresidente.com
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We've been to the Los Cabos area many times and decided to try the Holiday Inn this time.
The grounds are lovely with loads of desert plants and great views of the ocean through the palapas. The coconut trees were great and one day the staff passed out the coconuts that had to be cut off and it was a treat! The resort is kept clean and well manicured. There are several pools to choose from and 3 pool bars so it's easy to get a mango margarita!
We chose to book a garden lanai room with a hammock, a table, and two chairs. A great place to read and relax in the afternoon. The room is worth the price.
But the air conditioner was not working well. The room had a moldy smell that permeated into our clothes and luggage. The housekeeping staff kept the room as clean as possible and they did a great job.
The staff was always friendly and helpful. I have to especially thank the front desk staff, housekeeping, restaurant staff, and Luis the family pool bartender. Wonderful service, thank you.
Please be sure to tip. These folks work very hard for very little money.
My major complaint about the resort is the food. The buffet food, with the exception of the Fiesta night, was a big disappointment. The food was mediocre at best, bordering on bad. The exception being the breakfast which was pretty good.
The a la carte places were better. Napa and El Patio have good menu selection but need better air conditioning. We were literally sweating the nights we visited. Not good for the appetite. Also, Napa restaurant needs updating. Mabye some pictures on the wall? Plants? Anything? Right now the space kind of resembles a bright cafeteria kind of place. Very bland.
Because we've gone to other places that we have enjoyed so much we couldn't help but compare them to the Holiday Inn. I know that it's not completely fair to do so but we did. I'm not saying that we didn't have fun. We did. And as I've said before the staff does it's best to make the stay wonderful. It's clean, in a great location, and inexpensive. But if you enjoy a newer property and better food consider a different location.

Room Tip: Consider a lanai room. They have a safe and the others do not. Also, you can request a refrigerator...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank iammags
Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My sister and I just returned from this resort, and I want to recommend it to all as a wonderful secret at a great price. Yes, the design is an older style,but the location is great and the staff exceptional. We teased wait staff at the a la cartes, dove into the tasty buffet on Fiesta Night (how great to get real Mexican dishes) and loved the 15 steps to the beach bar on the adult pool side from our lanai room with a hammock for those lazy afternoons. It was an quick stroll into San Jose for those souvenir items and easy to arrange excursions to such neat places as Todos Santos. Breakfast was the usual and dinners in the a la cartes were very good indeed, better to me than what I got down the road at the Barcelo on another trip. So don't think that fancy decor is always what you want, instead try a resort with heart.

Room Tip: Ground floor for convenience, top floor for view, quieter near the adult pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Denise181716
Novato, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We (family of 4 with 2 kids under 12) had a great time at the Holiday Inn. We stayed a week and it was just enough time to relax and then want to go home. The staff were always helpful and cheerful. Rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels. The scenery was beautiful. Enjoyed having a room with the lanai (hammock swing out our sliding doors). I would definitely recommend this room if you have kids because you can watch them going to and from majority of the pools.

Both my kids loved the swim up bar at the family pool. Luis was great with them. Loved how you had a choice of 3 pools to go to. Never got to the adult pool but it looked so relaxing.

We loved the ala cart restaurants. Just remember to book your reservations. The nightly buffets were ok. We just wanted more mexican food rather than having Italian night/American night. The fish tacos at the el Caribeno were delicious! Loved the Chef's personality too!

Would definitely go back again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Janae H
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We (family of 4 with 2 teenage kids) stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort, San Jose del Cabo for 6 nights in late July. The hotel is in a great location - not too far from the airport and within walking distance of San Jose town center. The hotel was very helpful in providing an adjoining room for our kids and each had a view of the sea and balcony. The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained and three pools meant that it was never crowded around the water. There is plenty to do at the activities pool and the staff were great fun running water aerobics, bingo etc. The beach is spectacular but way too hot in July and the sea is too dangerous to swim. Food was much better than we expected - themed buffet dinners and breakfasts were great, lunch OK. Waiters and bar staff were very friendly and a modest tip kept the drinks flowing. Overall we had a very relaxing time for a reasonable price. Only one negative issue is that there is an initial attempt to sign you up to a 'time-share' breakfast on your first day (supposedly to save money on activities that are not included in the price - horse riding etc). Just say no - if you want to do excursions go to the regular concierge who actually appears to be cheaper.

Room Tip: A small tip for the maid each day will guarantee plenty of bottled water in your room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NUFCLaker
Windsor, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Was a little concerned to stay here but after reading the reviews we decided to book and in the beginning we did like what we saw. While this hotel was not as posh as what we usually stay at the rooms were not bad and they were clean and the landscaping and scenery extremely beautiful. We arrived on Wednesday and Saturday morning both my husband and I woke up sick after eating at the open air steakhouse restaurant on the Friday night. We both were sick to our stomach and had had the runs very badly. I spoke with the manager to try to find out what might have gone wrong and what might have caused this but he did not seem too concerned and told me he would get back to me and did not and when I went to talk with him he said it was not he who was going to talk with us but someone from the restaurant and needless to say no one ever contacted us or tried to get to the bottom of it and there were other people on line who said they got sick here also. It would take management to care about this to get it resolved and that does not seem to be the case here. The other thing I did not like was that the food was hit and miss and I had wondered why some people said the food was very good and others hated it. I experienced some good food here but also had some very bad meals and some cold ones. The buffets were extremely bad and out last night they closed all of the a la carts and only had a Mexican buffet which was mostly very spicy food which my husband and I could not eat and what was not spicy the rice was dried up and cool. Also, we experienced shrimp in some of the food which was not marked and my husband is allergic to shrimp and when I tried to tell the waiter how important this is he laughed. I also told the manger when I was talking to him about being sick and he just said shrimp is not part of the all inclusive but it was in the buffet we had the first night and in very many dishes making it hard for my husband to eat and then when he thought he found some rice I found shrimp in it and again it was just not marked. So the food is the worst part of this resort and the fact that management does not seem to own up to or care about the things that go wrong there is not good-- at least this was my experience and we still today 5 days after being home are just starting to feel better so I don't think it was worth the little bit less we paid although I would like to go back for the setting, scenery and the good parts but probably would be too afraid of getting sick again and unless someone in management decides to really care about what is happening this will continue to go on and some other unlucky people like us will just have their hard earned vacation ruined through sickness. We have been to Mexico 7 other times and have not been sick once until now so it is my opinion that there is definitely something wrong going on in terms of food preparation or the water. A good percentage of people at this resort are of Mexican descent so probably would not have this problem. I also experienced people doing things to food in the buffet lines that should not be done but no one noticed or said anything. One person who was putting sauce on his buritto or taco shell (round hard shell) draining the excess back into the bowl taking a bite then putting more sauce on and draining it back into the bowl. He stood at the buffet table for 5 minutes doing this and nothing was said and there was more that I won't describe and that was the night there was no other options or restaurants open so we had to eat this food. Also, we were there 7 nights and only got to try 2 a la carts because most of them are closed most nights and then they had the same one in the rotation for 2 nights and the last night of our stay all of them closed. I could live with some of the things but being that sick did ruin our week. Truly wanted to give this a good rating and say it was good but cannot because of this. They truly try hard with some things and then others not so much. As one other reviewer said the bird poop is on the chairs in the Napa restaurant in early morning they seem to never be wiped clean and like the other person said I run into the rude, bar tender with the attitude but other than him most people were very friendly and helpful. Again, the setting, the hammocks, scenery, etc. were good and it was not a typical hotel chain feel it was kind of a unique resort with a truly unique setting and a lot of people and especially families were having fun but getting that sick and management not caring was kind of a deal breaker for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#13 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,514 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!