“A Rose By Any Other Name...”

Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This used to be the Intercontinental El Presidente: we even found that name on a rug in the entryway to one of the outlying building's restrooms. Although initially a bit skeptical (yes, we grew up in the 60s when Holiday Inn had a somewhat sketchy reputation), we were delighted to find out that very little has changed. The rooms are still tastefully appointed, the staff is still polite, and the Sea of Cortez is still shimmering! We arrived on Easter Sunday, so we can't comment on whether or not this is a popular Spring Break location, but we had a delightful stay. The adults-only pool rule is strictly enforced (yay!), and Alma is still making cocktails poolside. There is a by-reservations-only restaurant featuring California cuisine (Napa) that's worth the extra effort, but the nightly themed buffet is perfect if one doesn't even want the effort required to go to the lobby to make a reservation! The buffet is accompanied by entertainment keyed to the night's featured country, which ends by about 9pm (thoughtful if you're near the stage area). We were astounded by the number of Canadian guests: apparently, this resort has a large, loyal following in the Provinces. While this is an all-inclusive resort, don't pass up a visit to Mega Mart for extras. The hotel doorman will gladly get a taxi for you and your new-found friends (they seem to produce a van when they hear your destination), and the shopping center is happy to send you back in one as well. The re-branding of this property didn't diminish it at all.

Room Tip: The first-floor rooms have a step-out patio with a hammock. These also feature a safe, something we...
1  Thank RSL099
Santiago S, Gerente at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for your continued preference in our Hotel, Holiday Inn Resort. We value your patronage immensely.

We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our rooms, location, and food and beverage options. We strive to give the best possible experience to all of our returning and new guests.

Thank you for pointing out that we still smell as sweet!

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,411)

Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was our fourth trip to this property, but our first under the new name and management. I was a little apprehensive about the change prior to our arrival, but my fears were unfounded. Santiago and Raul took care of all my questions and proved that the same spirit and feel of years past, is alive and well at the Holiday Inn.
We met up with two other couples for this trip and everyone had a great time. We stayed in building 1 for the first time, but enjoyed being so close to Alma. She made great drinks, of course! We also enjoyed Luis at the family pool bar (he keeps everyone happy), Oscar at Napa and Mario at the ala cartes. They all provided that extra level of service that really makes things special, and we found it appropriate to tip often.
Our group enjoyed the option to hang out at multiple pools depending on what we wanted to do. Our favorite was the family pool, as we enjoyed putting our lounge chairs on the shelf of the pool in about 4 inches of water. The adult pool is great for a late afternoon siesta. The beach and estuary are gorgeous and seemingly endless. We did carefully swim when the waves were on the smaller side without problems.
Our trip could not have been more relaxing or more fun! If you love to relax...if you prefer more authentic properties and architecture...if you are over the Cabo nightlife...if you like service and conversation with some amazing staff...then you'll love this place! We all can't wait for our next trip to the Holiday Inn.

Tip: Make sure you spend some time in San Jose and hunt down some good tacos (Las Guacamayas).

Room Tip: It's hard to beat the hammock on the lanai (1st floor rooms).
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that we had the opportunity to have you back one more time to our Hotel, Holiday Inn Resort.

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback, and we are especially happy that we made you feel welcome and taken care of. We will be sure to pass your comments along to our colleagues. We are very lucky to have loyal clients like yourself who keep coming back year after year. Even with the brand change we are fully committed to ensuring our guests have the best stay possible.

We cannot wait to see you again here in your home away from home.

Muchas gracias! Nos vemos pronto!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We just came from our "All Inclusive" vacation in Mexico at Holiday Inn Resort - San Jose. The resort is at the end of the road in the "Zona Hoteliera" in San Jose and because of this I can say that it is a quiet location. They have four swimming pools: one of them is a designated adult only (very very quiet - you can not hear anything there if you like to read your book in pace - there is a bar and sometime the bartender when she's not busy is coming and take orders from you), one for kids, one for entertaining and another one for entertaining (the last ones have swimm bars with shade (very good place to sit on the stool in the water and have few drinks). The rooms are big and clean and the air conditioning is working. Beds are clean and on the firm side but we slept very well. Food was good (we love it), not a lot of selection but it was good for us. If you expect to get tens of dishes then this will be not your place but in the other end here I saw that you can have decent meals without the waste which we saw in some other "All Inclusive" resorts. Do not play the song that you pay big bucks to get there and you want everything on the earth surface - you pay a reasonable amount and you get a reasonable food service. They had four shows during the week we spent there and i think it was more then enough. They have a designated area as a "Disco" area where every night there is a singer (who can sing nice mexican and english dance songs) or a DJ. There is a bar there too and I think that the show is more than OK on that location, I saw midlle aged couples there dancing around kids in their 20ties. Overall everything was more than OK in this resort. My big disapoint is that you CAN'T SWIMM in the ocean. This doesn't have anything to do with the resort itself. I can say that most of the shore area in the Cabo is like that. There are few beaches that I heard that you can get into the water and swimm but I haven't seen one.
Tip for getting to Cabo San Lucas: If you take the taxi in front of the resort it will cost you $35 one way = $70 return. Take the San Jose city bus from the round about to a bus stop behind the Mega $1(actually is less then that) and then take the Inter Baja bus from the road in front of Mega to San Lucas $2.5 (actually less then that few pennies) = $7 return. You do the count - you save enough to buy your presents for the kids left home (I speak for myself). We did it twice so it was worth the trouble but in the same time we do not mind exploring and travel with the locals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the adult pool - very quiet (do not forget your $10 bill with the request - wi...
2  Thank Travelerspain75

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our Hotel, Holiday Inn Resort, for your last visit to Cabos.

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback about our pools, rooms, food and beverage options, and our entertainment activities. As you mention because of the severe undertow it is not allowed to swim in the ocean in front of the Hotel, but that does not mean that our guests cannot enjoy the expansive beach and the crashing sound of the roaring waves. Thank you also for the useful travel tips for future travelers to our destination.

We hope to have the opportunity to be your hosts again in the near future.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My family & I were at this resort for a week from Boxing Day. It was OK, but I wouldn't return to this resort. Not enough restaurants open and a lot of difficulty getting into an a la carte. Room service was good. Funnily enough room service could not deliver a bottle of wine but could bring six glasses of wine (same thing, really)! The people were very friendly and we enjoyed ourselves but would not come back here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

In response to our clients' feedback over the past few months, we have been constantly reviewing our restaurants' schedule. Over the high season for many nights we have had not only the outdoor buffet (with a 14-day program so as to offer a wide varierty of theme nights), but also two a la carte options open; rotating from El Patio (Mexican), La Terraza (Steakhouse), Napa (Californian), and Frutas y Flores (International). Reservations were moved up from 8 am to 10 am and that resulted in more guests having the opportunity to book a table and enjoy this part of our overall culinary offer. We wil look into the Room Service issue because you are correct in your comment.

We sincerely hope we can be your hosts one more time on your next visit to Cabos so you can experience all the food and beverage alternatives the Hotel has to offer.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Just on my last day here at the resort. Overall, it has been a really enjoyable vacation. Checked in last weekend on a Sunday and there were about 20 people coming in at the same time from the flight. It was quick, with 3 people on the front desk...had room cards in hand in about 15 minutes. I took a quick walk around the resort to see where everything was, and the grounds are beautifully maintained. Lots of staff cleaning, doing grounds maintenance etc. Great overall first impression. I ended up at the activities pool which is where I spent most of the rest of my holiday. Good staff at the bar - they know how to make a strong drink! The activities staff were fantastic - really encouraged everyone to participate and if you happen to be traveling solo, it is a good way to get to know people. They also have new beach chairs at all the pools - quite comfortable. On the first day, it had been recommended to everyone on our flight not to talk to anyone at the hotel - that everyone was a potential timeshare salesperson. Not my experience at all. I got approached right after check in, said a polite no thank you and that was the last I heard. Frankly if you walk downtown in Cabo or Playa del Camen it is 100 x worse than anything I've ever seen at a resort. Also, I had a problem with the hairdryer in my room - it was broken, so I called down and asked for a fix. By the time I got back from breakfast the old one was gone and I had a loaner for the rest of the week. The rooms: they were really good too. Flat screen TV in my room with about 5 or 6 English channels. Lots of movie choices. I was on the third floor overlooking the activities pool and out to the ocean. No safe in the room, but I could have used the ones at the front desk if I wanted. Good sized shower as well. People are very picky about beds (me too!). If you like a firm, firm mattress, you'll love the beds. I did. If you like them squishy and soft, you're in for some rough nights. The rooms were immaculate and I had a balcony to sit out and enjoy my coffee on some mornings.
The food - the food seems to be the biggest issue at the resort. I ate at Napa, Fruite e Flores and Caribana while I was there. I also had room service 2 nights. The food for me was not an issue whatsoever. Good selection and in particular, their Mexican food was AWESOME. I'm not super picky about food though. My issue was with the staffing or just the organization in the restaurants. I ate at the buffet - Napa and Fruite e Flores probably for 10 of my meals. About half the time, I was able to sit down at a clean table, but rarely did it have full cutlery. The rest of the time, I had to sit at a dirty table...just at one of the spots that hadn't been used. Not ideal but when you have a plate of food in hand you don't have many options. There is nowhere near enough staff in the restaurants to keep up with the volume of people through there. Then it becomes an issue to get a drink because the staff are trying to keep up with the tables, and not winning. In the am, its not a big deal because you can stop at the coffee station and grab a to-go coffee before coming in. For other meals it was really apparent that this is a problem, and it appears that the staff are as frustrated by this as the guests. It's surprising because the rest of the hotel seems really well (adequately) staffed. I will say that my two room service meals were
excellent. Quick, hot, and delicious. Overall, I would definitely go back to this resort and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great value holiday. I got a smokin good deal, and I think that when you include air, accommodations, food, alcohol and activities...I got a really good holiday for the money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank TheWiff

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel, Holiday Inn Resort, and for taking the time to write such a detailed review on TripAdvisor.

We greatly appreciate your feedback on our grounds, rooms, and activities staff. We are very happy that you enjoyed our food and beverage options. Thank your for your insightful comments regarding our service sequence. We have tried different formulas and are still very much interested in finding the right one for our Hotel, in order to offer our guests the best service possible.

We will be very happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Cabos.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

It was amazing. The food was good. Service was outstanding-from the front desk staff, servers, bar tenders and in particular the recreation directors; Rocio, Ariel and Kevin. These 3 staff work very long hours and make the activities a lot of fun! There were activities for all age groups. I would recommend this resort. Even the bartender would go out of his way everyday to get me a coffee with a liquer in it every evening. Nothing seemed to be too much for the staff to make my stay comfortable. Loved our room. We were on the main floor and had a hammock on our deck. the room had a safe in it, 2 beds and a hide a bed.It was very clean.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel, Holiday Inn Resort, for your last visit to Cabos.

We would like to thank you for your positive comments about our Hotel. We are very happy you enjoyed your room, the food and beverage options, but especially our service. We are delighted our staff made you feel comfortable during your stay. Thank you for the compliments about our people, we will be sure to pass these along.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I picked this resort for the good price, but also because I'd never been to Los Cabos before. The site I booked with had the resort rated as a four star, but it most definitely was not. The food was absolutely horrible. My husband and I ended up going to a grocery store just so we wouldn't starve. Also the restaurant staff (wait staff) seemed to stand around and chat with each other a lot. We got up to get out own drinks several times before they even noticed we had sat down. The gardens were well kept, and the room was clean. Also, note that you have to ASK to have a fridge brought to your room. They don't come with the room.

Room Tip: Spend just a little more to get the ocean or pool-facing rooms. They have a hammock on the back pati...

Dear Guest,

We would like to apologize for any inconviencies you encountered during your stay. We are very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and we will follow up with the departments involved to make sure the same thing does not happen again.

We strive to give the best possible service to all of our guests. We hope you can give us another opportunity so you can enjoy your new experience in our Hotel.