“A great time at the Westin” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Croydon, Pa
“A great time at the Westin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2006

Since I constantly use this website, I thought it was only fair to write a review of the Westin. The hotel was wonderful. Although I was disappointed in not getting into the Royal Beach Club, I was totally satisfied with my room. The view was beautiful, and the bathroom was very nice. The grounds are really spectacular. Since we did find the food expensive, we opted to get a meal plan for several days. The meal plan was $49.50 per person. If you consider that breakfast can cost $25, this is not a bad deal. It also allows you to receive special prices on the drinks - 2 for one.

The Westin has the most wonderful staff. They could not be nicer. They are friendly, and nothing is too much trouble.

The only activities we participated in was a trip to Cabo Pulmo with Baja Wild. This is a fun trip where you snorkel and kayak with the seals. We also took the Tropicat Catamaran trip for Cabo San Lucas. This was well worth the money.

All and all a great trip.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank Maclinda50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
new lenox,il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2006

We stayed at the Westin for seven days in april.My husband myself and two daughters aged 14 and 18.From the moment we arrived we we're treated like royality.The hotel is beautiful with a great beach and seven pools to chose from.We booked a partial oceanview room it was nice but if you have a chance to get an oceanview i would recommend it.On our first night we ran into Michael Notten he was the hotel"s guest service mamager.What a stroke of luck that was.He asked us how our room was and we said fine,but not much of a view he said to us he would see if he could get us a differnet room and behold he did.The room he moved us to was a oceanview room wow what a great view looking right at the ocean.Michael was a great guy and was there whenever we needed something.What luck we had.My oldest daughter and i had massages down by the water.This was the best massage i ever had and with a view no less.The staff at the westin went beyond the call of duty Every person there was very nice and always willing to help.The hotel itself is quite stunning, and beautiful.If you take the timeshare presentation you will get lots of perks.It is worth the hour and half and no pressure to buy, but we sure would have liked to. Cabo itself isn't very big but alot to do. We went on the Buccaneer Queen which is pirate ship out to the arch and around the pacific ocean.This was alot of fun.We also ate dinner at Mi Casa in Cabo which was great. Be preparred to spend alot of money because Cabo isn't cheap. Overall our trip was great and the kids had alot of fun also.Can't wait to go back.

9 Thank cactuschic1
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2006

By way of background, I travel quite a bit for pleasure (easily 4 trips a year), and I have had the opportunity to see many different places around the world. My expectations aren't obsessively high, but at the same time, there is a lot of hotel competition and I don't impress easily. Here's my review:

We had the opportunity to stay at the Westin as part of a business trip, so we did not pay for the hotel rooms, and many of our meals were paid for by the host company.

There's no question that the property is absolutely beautiful, and we found the staff at the restaurants and adult pool just fantastic. I was six months pregnant during this trip, and the staff at the buffet restaurant many times carried my plate to my table for me, and went out of their way to se to my needs. At the pool, the staff will move chairs and umbrellas at your request, and came around with cold washclothes or small sorbet cups to refresh the guests. We didn't go to the beach because the sand was just too sharp...more like tiny pieces of broken shells rather than sand. I had trouble walking barefoot! Also, the undertow is dangerous; we rarely saw anyone in the water. In my opinion, a negative if you are traveling with kids, but that's going to be the same at all the resorts in the area.

A lot has been said about the cost of food and beverages, and I agree that to a certain extent that it can be pricey. The prices will depend on the exchange rate, of course, so opinions may vary. The breakfast buffet was about $25 per person and was extensive, as others have noted. Soft drinks were nearly $4 per can. Bottled water was about the same, but we were also able to order giant bottles for $7-$8. On the other hand, I ordered a nicoise salad poolside one day for lunch, and I thought it was excellent even with its $12.50 price tag. Yes, there is a $20 charge to have the mini bar emptied, and yes, they do charge for the in-room morning coffee. We took our own coffee & filters and saved the $3.50/day. If you are traveling with children, it could easily become an expensive undertaking because the property is not located close to any off-site restaurants.

Speaking of location, the resort is about 10 km from San Jose and 20 km from Cabo. The cab ride to Cabo was $25 one way. The hotel is close to the golf courses which line the corridor between the two towns.

Housekeeping services were hit and miss. We got evening turn-down service about every other night. The morning cleaning oftentimes missed the coffee maker (or the grounds were emptied, but the pot left dirty), and after I used the two disposable coffee cups the first two mornings, they weren't replaced until our last day there.

My biggest complaint with this property was with the front desk. I have a Starpoints gold card and requested my "guaranteed" upgrade. I was rudely told that I could not have an upgrade because I didn't pay for my room (since the host business paid for it). Honestly, why would Westin care who paid for the room??? Then I found out that friends of ours were getting 2-4 free bottles of water daily, compliments to Starwood Preferred Guests. I called the front desk and inquired, and was told that it depended on what rate the guest paid. I explained that we were all there on a business trip (same rate, same room type), and they weren't even SPG members!!! I have the gold card and they are getting $10-$20 in free water every day. The clerk said he'd look into it and call me back. He never called back. It isn't as though I expect to get something for nothing, but I felt like the front desk personnel went out of their way to make me feel unwelcome. I certainly didn't feel like a "preferred guest."

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2006

First, I want to thank all past posters on this web site. Your information proved very valuable. Now on to the good stuff.

We arrived from NY after a long but easy trip at the Cabo Airport. I had pre-arranged hotel transport one way on a Transcabo SUV to the hotel for about $52. When getting your luggage grab a skycap and he will expidite you thru Customs, past the timeshare sharks and straight to your transportation.

When we arrived at the hotel, we got the usual lemonade or Margaritas while we checked in but to my very happy surprise the front desk clerk told me I was upgraded from a Royal Beach Club room to a Baja Suite which includes a bed and hot tub on the terrace. My kids were in shock when they saw this room. Mind you, I was using Starwood points to pay for the room and booked over 9 months in advance. Don't know why I was upgraded other than I am a Starwood member and booked very early.

Rooms: No matter what, book a Royal Beach Club room. It includes a very filling and decent breakfast and cocktails and excellent snacks from 5-7pm. Our Baja Suite was very big and was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. They call it a suite but in reality it is just a very large room with a stone waist high partition in the middle which the TV sits on. The nice thing was, that the kids were able to go to sleep while I had the TV turned the opposite way towards the main bed. The view from the room was killer, but I dont think there really is a bad view in the whole hotel.

Food: Ate at all the restaurants with the exception of the fancy one. Coming from NY the food is expensive but in line with other nice resorts. Childrens menus are offered and hamburgers or chicken run about $5 (a bargain). All in all the food was of good quality and the settings and service were excellent.

Activities: Pools were beautiful and the kids really enjoyed. It would have been nicer if the pools were filled past the infinity edge and maybe a slide were added. Chairs directly next to the pool were hard to come by past 10am but plenty were available a few steps further away. One thing that did surprise me was that the towel people really had no interest in setting you up, they just handed you as many towels as you wanted and you were on your way, no hustling for tips. Tennis courts were at no cost to use, but make sure to reserve the day before to get good times. I was a little disappointed in that there were no scheduled activities. I'm not looking for cruise ship type stuff, but maybe something to divide up a day at the pool or beach. One thing that bothered me was that they charged for mini golf without telling us till we were done ($5 per person). This activity should be free for hotel guests, it takes about 10 minutes to play when no one is around. Saw people swiming in the ocean at certain times even though the black flag was up and much to my surprise, I saw a whale from my balcony.

Staff: Everyone was helpful and courtieous but not overbearing.

Other: We booked 3 outside activities thur the hotel. All were excellent. Beach ATV's($80 per atv), Waverunners at the Hilton ($90 per hour) and the Laprincessa Snorkel trip ($45).

Summary: All in all this a great hotel. I think some of my negative comments have to do with Cabo being a more adult place than family place. The Westin is awesome for adults and very good for children. By the way, the Taxi from the hotel back to the airport was only $26 (some type of taxi scam that goes on in Cabo)

10 Thank raincheck10
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2006

My wife and I are typically very big fans of Starwood hotels - W, Westin-ish... We were in Cabo for our Honeymoon, at the Westin for nights 8 and 9 (out of 11)... Very disappointed in the Westin in Cabo - everything seemed a dated, pools not fully functioning, beach chairs dirty, rooms were pricey, service not the best (although Sushi bar was great!)... the place is a great thing to look at, but I would not stay there again.

We had 4 nights at the Westin and got out of the last two, headed back across Cabo to the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (great place). Before arriving at the Westin we were at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (another highly recommended location)... both of the Pueblo Bonito resorts far-surpassed the Westin, and for about $100 less/ night.

Happy travels.

• Stayed March 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank yeckenr
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Westin and we loved it. The hotel is wonderful and the staff goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome (especially Marco at the Bellman/Valet desk, Oscar the concierge, and Jesus in the Royal Beach Club lounge). The Royal Beach Club was great, Champagne breakfast every morning and great appetizers and cocktails in the evening.

We rented a car from Alamo for the week (online) and only purchased the $5 per day liability insurance. Alamo was great and we didn’t have any issue with them pushing for additional Insurance.

Restaurants:
Latitude 22 – Great Prime Rib sandwich, Nacho’s and great service
Westin – “fine cuts” buffet – great steak (made to order) buffet. Well worth $40 per person.
Galeon – worse meal of the week… bad food and even worse service.
Baja Cantina – great food and service
Tropicana Hotel – great lunch, food and service
Sancho Panza – food and service was good, live music on Wednesday was great
Morgan’s Cellar – best meal of the week. Food and service was outstanding.
French Rivera – great pastry and coffee

We used the discount vouchers from the Los Cabo guide and they worked great, no problems at all.

I golfed at Cabo DelSol Ocean course, it was expensive at $295 but the course is spectacular and I really enjoyed it.

We went to Chileno and Santa Maria beaches and both were very nice. Nicer sand at Chileno but calmer water at Santa Maria.

We visited downtown Cabo (we really liked the Marina area) and San Jose. We really enjoyed the shops and quaint feel in San Jose.

The people everywhere are extremely friendly and we can’t wait to return. You can email me at stevenwiz@comcast.net if you have any questions.

8 Thank j80rice
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

I would never pay $300+ to stay here. Spend another $100 and stay at the Marquis as we did after this. It is like an old shopping mall or something with a rough crowd. Not sure these other reviews make much sense if you travel at all.

Stayed April 2006