“Gorgeous, unique, excellent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos

Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
“Gorgeous, unique, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the end of sept 2012 for 8 days. It was low season so we practically had the whole place to ourselves, but on the weekends it got much busier so we ha the best of both worlds. We booked several excursions and the gentleman was so helpful!! We also got a lot of great specials like buy one get one bc of low season. Erik at the pool was fantastic!!!!! The location of the hotel was close enough that its just a short drive to Cabo San Lucas and its far enough away to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Overall the food was decent. Not all the restaurants were open though, but by the end of the week, we got to eat at all of them. Unfortunately my husband got sick the very last night we were there and he was worse the day we were supposed to leave. He ended up being rushed to a private hospital. He had a bowel and intestinal infection. He had to stay 1 night and 2 full days there. The hotel was very accomodating. All of our luggage was still in our room when we got back and they did not charge us for those days as well as re-booked our flight back. We had to stay an additional 2 days due to waiting for our flight and they did not charge us for our stay those additional days either. Other than that, the trip was phenomenal! We went swimming with dolphins, zip lining, a guided tour of Los cabos, and we rented a yacht with another couple from the resort so the husbands could go fishing. They caught a 50lb dorado which was filleted on the boat and we brought back to the resort for dinner. They prepared it a ton of different ways. The only thing I didn't like about that, was that the hotel charged us (ps, we did all inclusive) a per person fee which was the price of an entire entrée per person. We brought the fish, which typically is the most expensive part. Other than that, no other complaints!! Deff a go!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Cathy S
beat_meier, General Manager at Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We very much appreciate your sharing about your vacation experience in Cabo here on TripAdvisor as well as your thoughtful comments of your stay with us here at The Westin. Our aim is always to provide the very best possible service, assistance and support, wherever needed or requested, along with wonderfully memorable amenities, so it is gratifying to hear that we were successful and that, at the end of the day, you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves.

I would also like to commend you for your choices in excursions. Swimming with dolphins, zip lining, a guided tour of Los Cabos and a boat rental are all easy to arrange and represent colorful, fun Cabo experiences.

I hope that when you return to Cabo we will have the pleasure to host you again!

Beat Meier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pictures do not do this resort justice - the architecture of the hotel buildings and the setting itself are just amazing. The rooms themselves are getting a little tired as the hotel nears 20. Very clean and functional, but in need of a little updating - much nicer down the road at the Hilton.

But every room here is full ocean facing, and you get the sound of the waves even on the top floor. The beach is a short step off the pool area, much better than some other Cabo properties. Very tough and/or impossible to swim in the ocean here, but the pools are great and have a perfect ocean view.

What really sets this place apart though is the staff. Everyone is incredibly friendly, hospitable, and attentive. Pool staff is great. Karina and Panchito (Francisco) in the RBC are fantastic - Panchito had a smile on his face every minute we were there. Felipe cooks you an amazing made-to-order breakfast every morning. And if you're interested in family or wedding photos, Santiago takes amazing pictures.

All in all, there are certainly more exquisite resorts in Cabo, but you can't beat the location, staff, and setting for the price here.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Andy R
I am pleased to hear that you love the setting here at The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos as much as we do. It is hard not to smile when surrounded by such beautiful ocean, desert and mountain vistas and we are very happy that we are able to treat our guests to an ocean view from every room!

Thank you for your heartfelt comments about our service and personnel, which I will share with our staff. Regarding our rooms, l should let you know that they were refurbished in 2011 and we are now working on the suites and plan to finish this year.

Please do come stay with us again when you come to Cabo and we will welcome your visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My sister and I purchased an all inclusive package, EVERYTHING was included! All drinks and food.
I got so sick from eating a lot (completely out of my diet) I ate gluten and wheat, not good for me at all, my fault :( then, the staff at The Westin called the doctor on site, the hospital transportation picked me up and took me to the hospital. after all, the hotel staff went out of the way and sent me a plate with fresh sliced fruit and yogurt. They were just adorable people, truly friendly. Gonzalo, Jaime, German and all food and beverage staff. I think my favorite restaurant now is Arrecifes, I could eat there everyday! yes make reservations, just like any other restaurant, anyone can do it for you. take some professional photos also, the scenario is just perfect and they have photografers on site. Otto is doing just an amazing job. Thanks to all hotel staff, we (my sister and I) will miss you dearly :)

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Mtaylo
beat_meier, General Manager at Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us here at The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos. We enjoyed hosting you and, of course, were happy to provide assistance and support with your medical concerns.

As you learned, our Kitchen Staff works to satisfy a spectrum of tastes and dining preferences by providing tempting fare from sumptuous to lighter fare dishes, along with special dietary needs selections that are gluten-free and/or dairy-free.

We greatly appreciate your notes about our Arrecifes, which I agree is a must-visit while here, both for the food and the spectacular vistas!

I look forward to the opportunity for us to welcome and serve you again on your next visit to Cabo!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

It seems like whenever you book a 4-star hotel on Hotwire, no matter where it is, you end up getting a Westin. Sometimes I get disappointed at this, because they can vary in luxury/service within the states, but the Westin Cabo was a great hotel representing the brand well and it was a steal at $99/night.

As I’m sure you’ve seen from the pictures, this place has a beautiful facade and it sits on a niceplot of land where the desert meets the ocean. The pictures do not show how large the beach is, as it appears to be cut off by the rocks over by the restaurant, but it actually stretches for miles after that and you can walk (15-20 minutes) down to the Hilton and past the other hotels in the area.

Overall, the area itself is very quiet; this is the Corridor, not hopping-party-time Cabo, so if you are looking for clubs and crazy nightlife you are not getting that here. It’s a relaxing resort, but you can take a cab to Cabo in 20 minutes for 30 bucks, or drive yourself if sober and you have a car. Personally, I liked this as I was not impressed with the hotels I saw in town; the big resorts like this on the Corridor seemed nicer.

That said, the place does still have about 4-5 bars and restaurants on-site, and during the day the poolside bar is very happening place to be, with drink service also right on the beach. All of this shuts down, aside from the restaurants, around dusk which seemed rather surprising. Don’t think you have an actual bar to go to at night at the hotel, it’s just not really like that but the restaurants are open later.

The pools were incredibly nice and it gets busy but you can find a chair or you can always sit at the beach instead where they have a nice setup with umbrellas/drinks, and an attendant. The BEST part of the hotel and beach for me were the waves. This place is not for kids, older people, or anyone who is not a good swimmer; this is some of the most dangerous surf I’ve been in. That makes it fun for younger people, but it’s basically un-swimmable for kids or people who are not in good shape. The rip-current is extremely strong and they have a lifeguard watching the water at all times to protect guests.

The rooms were nicer than I’m used to at Westins and there did not seem to be any variation between the one I got and other rooms except what your beach view is, they all have them. The shower was large and very nice, bed was huge and comfortable, and the rooms have big balcony’s which you can open the door too totally so your room is basically outside. I also had a nice little couch area where you can watch TV or eat room service, which I did and it was good, though expensive.

All in all, this was a very good hotel and I would absolutely recommend it especially for the price I got it for. For spring breakers, you may want to stay closer to town, but for families and couples this is a great place to stay and it’s a quick trip into the city if you yearn for more excitement.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, closer to the middle is the best, but they should all be good, the higher...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KevDough
beat_meier, General Manager at Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about The Westin Resort & Spa here on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us as well as our Heavenly Bed, bath and balconies!

The Corridor does offer a luxuriously relaxing setting in which to enjoy a memorable time with loved ones and we are most fortunate to offer ocean views from every room in a truly awe-inspiring setting; where the mountains and desert meet miles of beautiful beaches by the sparkling Sea of Cortez.

I hope that you will return and have the opportunity to unwind and relax with us again soon!

Muscat Governorate, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My family and friends stayed here for a wedding and it was excellent. It was hard to fault. The weather was hot, with a strong sun ( easy to get burnt) and the hotel was not overly busy. The hotel location on a secluded part of a very long sandy beach was perfect . The hotel is modern, has spacious rooms, nice big bathrooms, a number of free form pools and a white sandy beach. There is a great view from the Ocean view rooms to the ocean and the crashing surf. The hotel is well looked after, the staff are very attentive...of note was Gonzalo at the restaurants..but the entire staff were good. The location and beach is spectacular, great for long walks.. The water can be a bit rough with large waves so you need to be carefuL and there is a beach lifeguard on duty every day. There are a couple of restaurants in the hotel for evening meals and a bar but most people do tend to go into one of the nearby towns in the evening. The hotel buffet breakfast is excellent.
On arrival at the airport, you can take the local airport shuttle, which stops at a couple of other hotels but is good value for US$16/person. Otherwise the hotel can arrange a private car pickup but it will cost more. check with the hotel.
The hotel is located about 15 mins taxi drive San Jose and about 25mins from Cabo San Lucas, in opposite directions. San Jose is the smaller town and is quiet and worth a visit whilst Cabo San Lucas is larger town, a bit more the party town, has many more shops, bars, clubs and restaurants. The Marina is the main restaurant area with really good food available and reasonably priced. It does tend to go quieter after about 10pm but there are other restaurants and bars in the streets around it as well and the nightlife continues there. If you were using taxis every night, it can add up. Taxis are easy to get from the hotel and from the towns back. There are lots of activities to do out of Cabo San Lucas..fishing, diving, snorkelling, jet ski, evening cruises. I think there are about 8 golf courses in the immediate area. We did one of the evening cruises as a large group for about 2 hrs and it as really worthwhile...a really good way to see a spectacular coastline and a sunset...would recommend. If you want to get further afield, hire a car and take a drive..it is safe and it is spectacular countryside.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room...although the sound of the surf can be loud..you do get used to it and i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
We very much appreciate your kind review of The Westin Resort and Spa Los Cabos. It is always our aim to provide our guests with caring, world-class service and most gratifying when our guests let us know we accomplished this goal -- and I will be sure to pass on your specific compliments to Gonzalo!

Your experiential comments regarding enjoying the vistas, locale, local transportation and partaking of one of the evening cruises I am sure will be helpful to others who read them.

Again, our thanks and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again when Cabo calls you back for a relaxing holiday.

Joliet, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during our first trip to Cabo and loved every minute of it. We reserved a rental car at the airport. It's very easy to get from the airport to the Westin even though it's about 20 miles. When going out of San Jose del Cabo, we stopped at the Mega grocery store and stocked up on food, alcohol, soft drinks, etc. Next door in a strip mall is an OXXO where we bought a Styrofoam cooler. We arrived at the hotel around 4 pm and were able to get a free parking place. There are only about 16 free spaces and we were lucky that in the eight days there we only had to do paid valet parking ($10) once!. We checked in at the front desk with a very friendly and helpful check in person. She recognized our Gold Status and gave us a high floor room with a wonderful view. The bellboy who took us to our room was very helpful in telling us where everything was. We were very happy with the room which had a fantastic balcony with a table and two chairs and had a beautiful view of the Sea of Cortez and the beach. The Westin Heavenly Bed is our favorite hotel bed and this one was very much up to the standards. The bathroom was huge and spotless with a wealth of amenities. There is a safe in the room and a minibar (which we didn't use). There is a coffeepot with free coffee, tea, etc. If you ask for additional coffee in the morning you will be charged extra. My advice - take some extra with you. When you go to the beach to pick up your towels, the attendant will walk you out to the beach, ask you where you want your chairs and do you need an umbrella. The food and drink attendants on the beach are incredibly helpful and friendly. We only ate one meal at the hotel and that was a breakfast. It was slightly above average. Because we had a car and were only about 4 miles from San Jose del Cabo, we would go into town each morning for breakfast and go back into town for dinner. The restaurants in San Jose del Cabo are certainly on the gourmet side and we will go back again just for the food. We found the hotel to be a really laid back and relaxing experience. The workout room was the best we have ever seen in any hotel we have stayed at. We stay at many Starwood hotels and feel that all Starwood employees from all Starwood hotels in the world should be sent to this Westin for training by these employees. They are professional, friendly and make your stay a total enjoyment. We checked with the car rental desk at the hotel about the cost of renting a car at the hotel. It ran around $75 a day. We had rented at the airport for around $42 a day with all taxes and fees for 7 days (there is a mandatory Mexican insurance).

Room Tip: Higher floors give you an incredible view of the sunrise and sunset!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jvmurph
beat_meier, Public Relations Manager at Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts about your stay here as well as your helpful travel tips.

We are delighted that your found your Heavenly Bed, Bath -- and view -- to your liking and that our staff members succeeded in their aim to provide stellar service.

We also hope that when you visit Cabo again that you will return to The Westin, where the mountains and desert meet the sea and we will be ready to welcome you!

Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The building is amazing and the shape refers to “Los Arcos”.
Room had a fantastic view, as all rooms I believe. It’s big, comfortable and clean. There is a bathtub separate to the shower with a nice spacious. Amenities were also good.
For leisure you have the wonderful swimming pool, which is heated. Plenty of towels, chairs and “sombreros”. The beach is beautiful but a little bit dangerous due to the relief. The fitness center is well equipped, and the Sauna is also nice separated for man and woman. The spa is a bit over price but you are at a 5 star property. We got a US$ 40 credit for spa treatment but the cheaper was over US$ 125.
As my other reviews, I like to mention the special attention for Gluten Allergy. The whole staff was aware about my allergy and I had no problem with all the meals in the resort. They have 3 different restaurants and we enjoyed most the “Cascade”. The waiter Ener was always very kind and helpful. Although, my food was prepared in the “Arrecifes” due to the special orders. It’s high level cuisine.
Service was the highlight of the hotel. Gonzalo was our “Concierge” during the stay and he did his job perfectly.
The only negative was the price for the drinks. I know we are at the beach on a Westin Resort, but it could be more affordable. We would have drunk much more.
As SPG member, we were invited for a nice Happy Hour on Friday. They do this every week. It was nice to meet other guests and had a few free drinks while chatting with the Hotel Staff.
Overall a perfect location for a short vacation. We will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: They offer upgrade at the checkin for a little extra
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EduardoStruve
beat_meier, General Manager at Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest:

We would like to thank you for all of the comments you have made on Tripadvisor!

We are glad to read you have enjoyed our unique and special architecture of our hotel which allows a fantastic view from the rooms over the sea of Cortez.

We appreciate the wonderful comments you made about the exceptional concierge service provided by Gonzalo who exemplified the excellence in service, I can assure you we will congratulate him personally.

Regarding your comment about the price for the drinks and Spa services, I would like to mention that prices are generally the same in Los Cabos area for being a prestige destination.

Thank you again for your feedback and hoping to have you as guest in the future!