New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Novi, Michigan
“Westin & semi joined time share property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

In December of 2012 I stayed at the Westin's former sister club, Raintree. It was located to the right if facing the Westin from the beech. My friends & I stayed in 2 separate rooms/suites. My room had one large bedroom, a king size bed & jacuzzi. There was a separate adjoined room with a full kitchen, bathroom and pull out couch. Our suite, situated on the 1st level, was perfect for viewing the beach, ocean, sunrise and activity.

The hospitality from the staff was friendly, helpful and seemed sincere/natural. The multiple pools provided a nice variety. The adult pool allowed us to whale watch daily while being spoiled by a fantastic bartender. His drinks kept us almost too happy!

The location was perfect for me, allowing daily scenic walks on the beach while being able to visit a few other hotels. The Hilton was approximately 3/4 of a mile down the beech so we could try other restaurants and not be confined to just a few options. It was difficult to swim often in the ocean directly in front of the hotel due to the strong currents. However we did find a cove safe for swimming with lifeguards.

The meals at the hotel were fine.

Room Tip: Request a balcony or terrace.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Springfield, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am a starwood member and usually happy with my stays at Westin properties. With this property ranked with their highest rating, I expected it to really plush with excellent service but it couldn't be further from my expectations. The staff was awful, front desk, restaurant wait staff and maid service included. The property is about 20 minutes from town and they know it. The food is grossly overpriced and a mixed drink cost me 210 pesos ($16.15 US). Really? I think it will be a long time until I am ready to give Starwood property anymore of my money.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank mark M
Gibraltar
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

arriving at the Westin I loved the architecture and the colours and the maintenance,
but with checking in came the first dissapointments ( a bracelet yes) 2 seconds later it was removed. I got my key and was told if you go right, left, 2 floors down, follow the corridor, up to the 7th floor you will be find your room. Is a bit complicated because my gps was in my suitcase, who took another hour to arrive in my room 1727 (when a gps get lost it is serious) or just super crowded (only with groups of conference people) rooms are really not what you would expect at a Westin, a bit run down, needs major work needs to be done) I was on the Starwood floor as a gold for life preferred guest, but still even with my gps I was not able to find the lounge for breakfast and hors d'ouvre. I left after one night and bad surprise i had to pay an extra night for early departure.
So ppl don.t go there if you expect 5 star Westin, because you will be really disappointed, and it is also so far away from Cabo San Lucas. I moved to another hotel and don.t reget it a second to leave the Westin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank inez1500
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I just returned from a 10 day stay at the hotel. I have stayed at this resort before and normally stay at high quality hotels and resorts when traveling. The bottom line is that this is a beautiful property that struggles from neglect and poor management and it certainly impacts your vacation.

The property, as others have mentioned, is stunning. The rooms are spacious (although the shower is very weak) and you can leave the window open at night and listen to the waves. The beach is fantastic, but it's when you begin to walk the beach and visit the other hotels that you know the Westin has some serious problems.

The biggest problem with this hotel is that management and the staff do not really know what the customer wants. This hotel is full of American/Canadian tourists who are trying to relax for a week. The pool was the biggest problem where the staff put huge speakers out on the bar at roughly 11 AM each day and started BLASTING rap music. I am in my mid-20's and enjoys bars and such, but this was not the right music to be playing at the pool. It was impossible to read with the throbbing noise in the background and many guests complained to no avail. Even worse, the bar staff let obviously hammered guests turn the music up louder and plug-in their own iPods at times - get some headphones!! The worst part was that the staff had the same playlist on, in the same order daily and after day 2-3, you know which song is coming next and they keep playing them over and over again. Things were so loud that I would go up to my room on the 8th floor (one below the top) and could hear Miley Cyrus from my bathroom before I showered!

The pool staff worked hard at times, depending on who you had, but their utter neglect, especially at the bar, for guest requests was appalling. I watched people complain all week only for the staff to turn the music down for 5 minutes and then back up even louder. Worse, for families that had kids at the pool, hearing indiscriminate profanity and crime themes at the pool must have been puzzling. What happened to Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffett or just listening to the waves?

In the Royal Beach Club, the staff works extremely hard, but again, they play the same 14 track CD over and over again each morning and afternoon. Irritating!

Even more frustrating is the fact that the internet is terrible and constantly forces you to sign on even during a session on your computer. As you make the long journey to the lobby from your room, you discover that you need to sign in again and again in the lobby while waiting for your car/taxi. Terrible!

Other things are obviously lacking at this hotel. The restaurant is extremely average and the food outside the hotel is way better. The Cantina is a joke (they didn't even have New Year's Day bowl games on), uncomfortable and embarrassing. They only had one pool cue when we tried to play and the air hockey game is so loud that you have to leave if someone is playing it. Our group of 12 decided to go to the Hilton nearby to watch the bowl games proving that hotel management is too dumb to realize the revenue possibility of showing big sporting events at the bar of all places. We similarly went to Esperanza to watch the National Championship game where the staff set up a huge projector screen.

The workout facility is terrible if you like to lift weights and features old machines that are rusty and hard to maneuver. The concierge is also difficult to reach and is not too knowledgeable regarding the best eats in town.

Also, the architecture of the hotel is beautiful to look at, but a maze to navigate. Depending on the elevator bay, you need to get off at floor 3, 2, 1 etc... and the resort of full of guests doing abrupt about-faces once they've realized that they're going to wrong way. There is a HUGE area in the middle of the hotel that is simply wasted space. Overall, the public areas in the hotel are average, but it's about time for a $15MM face-lift. There are simply too many other hotels passing this one by.

So, do any of these things take away from your vacation? Yes and no. We still had a great time and were able to relax, but discerning travelers recognize the small touches that make or break their stays and they certainly have an impact. I know that you can't compare the hotel in terms of price or quality to the 5 star Las Ventanas, One&Only or Esperanza, but the Westin is a high quality hotel brand and there is no excuse for not paying attention to the details. When your head is throbbing at the pool after hearing "I'm in my ZONE, I'm in my ZONE" and "Vodka, I want some vodka" over and over again, you start to think about where you would stay next time in Cabo.

Room Tip: The beach club is worth it, it will save you $ on food. Don't eat dinner at the hotel! If you...
8 Thank JShap88
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on my way home from Vegas.
An amazing view of the beach from my room, but everything else was an average experience.
Nothing significant to complain about....just wasn't blown away. I was a little annoyed at breakfast with the staff hovering over me every minute.
Distance from Cabo San Lucas is not good.....choices to get into town are $28 taxi or a $2 local bus. If you get the bus....which I did....you have to walk all the way up to the main road as the hotel sits on the waterfront. Locals were lovely on the bus. About a 20 min trip into town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank peg72Brisbane
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just returned from 7 days at the Westin. After reading the reviews from other travelers, I can say it's all true. Where to start:
1. The staff were exceptional. The staff at the beach were attentive. We always had someone rush to help us get chairs and umbrellas, or to order food. Cheers to all of the them. We had access to the Royal Beach Club. The staff there for breakfast and the afternoon were just as exceptional. Can't say enough nice things about them. The front desk staff were nice, and bellman were nice. Everyone was very helpful.
2. The beach is very nice. Clean and quiet. Only problem is the water is so rough that it's not always safe to go in the water. Especially for kids. As a result there were no water sports or activities at the hotel.
3. The layout of the hotel is a maze. Depending on the elevator you get off at a different floor. Signs were not overly helpful (You'll see!). There are ramps, and stairs, oh so many stairs. But they can be avoided if you know the secrets. It took me 5 days to find some of them. And even upon departure, I couldn't figure out the right elevator floors to get on.
4. The food at the beach restaurant is good. Not great, but good.. The food at the rest of the hotel is marginal. This was our big issue. We felt we had to leave the hotel every night to get a decent meal. And when you leave the hotel, and take taxis, it gets very expensive.
5. Our room was clean, but it had two double beds. That's not much room for two people in each (we were a family of four). Not sure why they don't have larger beds.
6. The views were exceptional. We woke up to the ocean, heard the waves crashing all day and night.
7. The shower was a joke. They replaced the shower head with a handheld, but they mounted it in such a way that you had to be relatively short to fit under the shower head. I am 6 feet tall and had to bend my knees to shower.
8. The sports bar is sort of a joke too. The chairs are not comfortable. We had trouble sitting through a basketball game. You would think they should make them as comfortable as possible. The food was really marginal there too.
9. We felt very safe on the property. There was always a security person checking the cabs that pulled in and out, making sure we didn't forget anything in the cab.
10 Concierge - tried to help but not very successful. Didn't know there was a price discount for kids at the restaurants. Showed us the wrong menu for one of the restaurants at the hotel. But they did so with a smile - so who can fault them.
So in the end, not sure what to say. I would go back for the service. I would go back for the beach. But then again I would not go back because of the restrictions on going in the ocean. I would not go back for the food. I would rent a car. I would I would I would.

In the end, we are rested, tan and content. Sorry can't be more definitive on whether we would return; but there should be enough here to help you out.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with multiple family members, a double bed is NOT big enough for two people to...
5 Thank NYFoodDude
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a very pleasant week here over New Years. We were a little concerned about being "trapped" at the resort since it's not within walking distance of San Jose del Cabo. We prefer to not rent a car, and of course, taxis add up quickly. However, you can use local buses if you don't mind a little walk. It's about a 10 min. walk from the resort to the main highway. The bus stop is right at the entrance to the Westin. Buses run frequently--I think the longest we waited was 10 min. The fare was 20 pesos to San Jose (not sure if it would be more to Cabo). A bargain compared to a taxi. Once in San Jose, you have access to the Mega (grocery store) and all kinds of restaurant options.

The resort itself is beautiful, with great ocean views from many of the rooms. I agree with prior reviews that the Royal Beach Club is great. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I'm sure we'll be back again.

Room Tip: Royal Beach Club rooms have great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple