All reviews san jose coffee juice mexican hotel town square art galleries la paz pool area is beautiful pool swim up bar mexico baja paco tile landscaping poolside pesos servers
Reviewed November 30, 2010

We have been staying at this hotel for possibly 10 years now. We love the place. The rooms are nice and clean and nicely decorated with nice linens and Mexican tiled bathrooms. The staff is abundant and eager to please in every way. Over the years we have experienced poolside happy hours with a swim up bar and free continental breakfasts at poolside with several juices, fruits, cereals, rolls, coffee and tea, etc. Sorrily they no longer offer that poolside, my guess is because of the general economy and fewer tourists. Now they have the free breakfast in the outdoor adjoining sidewalk restaurant each morning, probably to stimulate restaurant business at the same time. But no complaints with the full fruit plate, eggs, potatoes, juice and coffee. Notice that many of the reviews under the heading for the hotel are actually for the restaurant only, which I agree is lacking in service. Good food, but not good service and value. Don't let that deter you from a stay at the hotel which is a surprise quiet garden/pool setting behind the hotel. Our rate over Thanksgiving was lowered because we stayed 5 nights and was $110 a night PLUS taxes and a daily service fee. All totaled it was $132 a night. Love that it is right in the heart of town close to everything AND it has a secure parking lot; important since we were on a driving trip. The only downside was that the pool is not heated and too chilly to really enjoy much; a big factor for us. (76F degrees)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lovepalms
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Our flight got canceled and there were no available flights until the next day, so we had to quickly find a place to stay in town. We found the Tropicana because we were shopping along the streets and ate breakfast at the Tropicana restaurant. The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and even gave us a small discount off the regular rate. The hotel is very quaint and unique with a tropical feel. The beds are really comfortable and the room had everything we needed. There's even a nice pool and swim up bar. What we liked the best about this hotel was that there was free wi-fi in the hotel and the adjoining restaurant. We had stayed at the Hilton the week before where wi-fi is an additional cost and had so much trouble finding wi-fi anywhere else in the city. We got to catch up on our emails and use our iPhones. :)
We had a great one night stay at the Tropicana despite having our flight canceled. Thanks Tropicana!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ninerz82
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed at the Tropicana for 3 nights last week and I was so pleased I felt I needed to write a review! The property has about 40 rooms (a bit larger than I usually prefer) but since it was "off season" we felt like we had the place to ourselves.

We had no issues with check-in or our reservation (a common issue in other reviews) and were put into the type of room we requested at the correct price. We were on the first floor right across from the pool and this was very convienient. All of the staff members were friendly and helpful.

The whole area around the hotel rooms is very well landscaped and quite attractive. We found oursleves hanging around the hotel much more often than we typically do & the super comfy outdoor furniture had something to do with this. I imagine that during "high season" it would be difficult to get a seat but for us it was perfect.

The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. The AC worked well and it was nice to have a fridge in the room.

Don't count on the complimentary "conntiential" breakfast being anything special--it is coffee (1 cup the only morning we went up for this), orange juice and plain white toast. I really don't care about this personally--just a "head's up"--coffee in the room is fine with me!

I look forward to staying at the Tropicana again when I visit SJD.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank notatuna1
Reviewed May 28, 2010

The online pics and description do not do this place justice. Everything about the hotel from its classic colonial style, to grounds, pool, diing facilities and rooms were beautiful. Centrally located to plaza and shopping areas. Only bad thing is that it is not close to beach but I would rather stay here than some mega resort. Beautiful!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank chapina1012
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We went to the Tropicana for dinner on our first visit to Los Cabos. We were greated promptly and seated around 8:00. There was an hour wait to sit outside and we were offered a table in the pation, but it was right under a very loud band playing Mexican music. We opted for the area in-between. The waiters were prompt and polite, quickly taking drink and dinner orders. The margartias were very average, but the Lobster Soup and Mexican style New England clam chowder were excellent. So was the grilled local seabass I ordered.

As we dined a younger, more bar focused crowd began to arrive. They were very under staffed and we were soon trying to flag down a waiter to get a desert menu. we asked the Hostess and the Manager to get our waiter to stop by and although he passed our table several times without even stopping to check on us. This went on about a half hour and I was finally able to get our check from the hostess. For the first tume ever I drew a zero with a line through it on the tip line.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family