We stayed at The Tropicana for three nights in September, 2005. The grounds and the pool were stunningly beautiful; the room was clean and nice, but maybe kinda bland. The staff were very friendly to us, and the poolboy Carlos was totally hot :-)
The location is convenient, right on the main drag in San Jose. We loved being in town where we could walk to the local bars and restaurants, instead of being trapped in the big corporate hotels on the beach. San Jose is really cute; it's Mexican enough to feel like you're in a foreign country, but touristy enough to feel comfortable if you don't speak Spanish. For the adventurous, the Mexican bus to Cabo San Lucas is only 18 pesos.
The walk from Tropicana straight down to the ocean is about 20 minutes. It's a great place to stroll in the surf and to watch the sunset, but not to swim. You have to drive or cab it over to the swimming areas if that's your thing. There is an asphalt path along the estuary, right behind the Tropicana, that you can follow all the way to the ocean if you don't want to walk on the street.
My one complaint was the noise at the hotel. They had a demolition/remodel project going on behind the restaurant, so we were bombarded with jackhammer noise all day long, even on the weekend. When you make a reservation, ask if the project is complete.
Otherwise, I totally recommend the Tropicana!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the Tropicana Inn, our 42 Mexican style Tamaral rooms and Suites, are beautifully appointed with colonial touches of old Mexico. The fully airconditioned individually styled Tamaral rooms includes all the amenities you expect with irresistible pillow top mattresses, Luxury linens, direct dial phone, cable TV, frigde, coffee maker, hair dryer and bath accessories. All rooms have full or partial views of the pool, swim up palapa bar and our beautiful tropical grounds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz and Despegar.com so you can book your Tropicana Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropicana Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Tropicana San Jose Del Cabo
- Tropicana Inn Los Cabos/San Jose Del Cabo