“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Meson Del Angel - CLOSED

Meson Del Angel
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Columbus, Ohio
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

One of the best restaurants in San Jose for outstanding food and a very romantic setting in a semi-open courtyard with soft lighting. Alberto and the wait staff are so friendly and attentive.

Order a mojito to see the show Alberto puts on in its production; it is a double treat, the mojito is yummy and Alberto is a stitch. In addition, the full bar serves a good drink with a generous pour, and, the wine list while not extensive offers very good selections at reasonable prices.

Go there hungry because the food is wonderful. Diners are given an appetizer (on the house) of hot beans, salsa and tortilla chips. These beans take refried beans to another level; I don't know the secret, but they are addictive. For the main course I am particularly fond of the garlic shrimp and my husband's favorite is the lamb shank. The Meson prepares the best lamb shank in San Jose. However, other menu items are excellent as well, such as the octopus appetizer (order a double portion for an entree), chicken mole, pork chop and, if your are lucky, the daily fish special will be the snapper filet. The value here is exceptional.

We discovered Meson Del Angel in 2009 and have been loyal customers since. Currently the street construction on Zaragoza makes it more challenging to get to the restaurant, but persevere because it is worth the trip.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Alta M

Seattle
“Great mojitos...not so great filet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Meson was recommended by our concierge. I also remembered seeing great reviews on Tripadvisor so we thought we'd go for it. The service was very good. We were welcomed by a friendly face and of course the charming line of "we've been waiting for you!" They make table-side mojitos and we went with the BBB which is made with fresh basil and blueberry. Not your typical and it was very refreshing; yummy. I ordered the surf and turf and my hubby ordered the filet. While you wait for your food they bring you salsa, chips, and bean dip. The bean dip was awesome. Our food took awhile to arrive, so when it finally did, our expectations were pretty high. The surf and turf comes with two shrimp which were good and I wished I had ordered just that because the steak, not so good. This was not filet quality meat. It was very fatty as if we had both received the ends of the tenderloin. I might have said something if it was just one of our steaks that were this way, but since both of our steaks were fatty, we decided to chalk it up. Steak also comes with veggies and mashed potatoes. Veggies were undercooked, but the mashed potatoes were very tasty.
It was just a little inconsistent so I'm rating it average.

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank sdes1280
San Francisco, California
“yummy drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had a welcome dinner for our cabo wedding here. They were very accomodating to our needs. Drinks were good, the dining area is open air and very pretty. Can get a little chilly at night. Their food overall is good. The hyped chile en nogada was not my cup of tea tough. I don't like lukewarm creamy sauces over anything.

Visited January 2013
Crofton, Maryland
“Beautiful Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

One of our waiters at our resort recommended Meson to us for dinner. We were more than happy we listened to him. The food was incredible. The staff made us feel very welcome and the atmosphere is beautiful, if you choose the open sky dining table area you are literally dining under the stars. Definitely try the lamb. Don't miss this place, it's worth the trip - a well hidden gem.

1 Thank Stacia S
Victoria, British Columbia
“Birthday Dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were in San Jose again in January. It happened to be my husband's birthday while we were there. There was no doubt in our minds where we wanted to go for his birthday dinner! There was 9 in our party. I reserved ahead. When we showed up for our reservation Alberto was outside waiting for us! The service was incredible! Everyone in our party couldn't stop raving about the service, the food & of course the blueberry basil mojitos! We had an obscene amount of those! As an appetizer we had the included chips with retried beans & salsa. We also ordered a couple orders of calamari. They even brought out a few orders of guacamole with chips on the house! For dinner, I had the Chipotle Shrimp & my husband had the Surf & Turf. Friends had the flank steak, chicken mole & fajitas to name a few. My husband was given a delicious chocolate cake for dessert complete with a birthday candle! Everyone even came out to sing Happy Birthday! Everything was beyond amazing & delicious! Thanks Meson del Angel for such an incredible experience & a memorable birthday for my husband! You have outdone yourself again! We can't wait to come back!

3 Thank thewandererone