“nice dinner in a lovely setting”
Review of Meson Del Angel - CLOSED

Meson Del Angel
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here.
It's just a few blocks from the main square and easy to find.

The setting is lovely - an open air courtyard, nicely painted and decorated. Faux painted walls, nice paintings, dim lighting.
A nice comfortable space.

We were greeted by Alberto, who was completely charming and gracious.
We arrived at 7:00 in the evening, and we the only ones in the place, so we had our pick of tables.
Other people arrived around 7:30 or so, and by 8:00 the place was half full.

Of course, we got the full experience, with Alberto making me one of his excellent mojitos table side.
Fun experience. He has a great personality, which enhances the whole mojitos gimmick.

The food was good. Not great. Nothing to complain about, but nothing that blew me away.
I had the pork chops, and my wife had the red snapper. She had a salad to start, and I had the tortilla soup.
They bring out chips and salsa to start, and a complimentary slice of chocolate cake at the end of the meal.

With the food, 3 glasses of wine, and one mojito, the bill was around 1100 pesos (about 85 US dollars)
Fair price.

The service was very good. The were a couple of waiters who seemed to float throughout the place, both were attentive without being overbearing. They answered questions about the menu thoroughly. Food delivery was prompt.

Overall, a nice place to spend an evening meal.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The difficulty in finding this little nook in San Jose adds an element of 'eureka' to experiencing the wonderful food and service of this restaurant.

After reading the reviews of this place on TA, I walked into the restaurant expecting to be served with great food. My expectations were cleared with ample headroom with precious little stomach space to spare.

We started off with the mojitos, which were top notch per TA's recommendations. Soon after, the waiter brought a most delicious combination of chips, salsa and beans that was very new to me, and I eat a lot of Mexican food living in Los Angeles. The combination of tangy salsa with soft, fresh refried beans and homemade tortilla chips was something I had to force myself to stop eating. A perfect yang to the yin of my sweet Citrus mojito.

Appetizers were mussels au gratin, which were a recommendation from our wonderful waiter and a salad which we shared. I was impressed by the staff's insistence that if we were sharing any dishes, that they had to plate the dishes separately. (I fully expected them to charge for the troubles, but they did not. +1 for excellent service).

The 'Surf and Turf' is a simple filet mignon served with a delicious grilled shrimp on top and was very well balanced. As my wife and I were not that hungry, we split this entree as well. Again, staff insisted that they plate the dishes separately (and beautifully, I might add). And I always appreciate a restaurant that bring its table bread piping hot and scrumptiously soft. Yum.

To top it off, our chocolate cake that ensued (which of course, we shared), was a stomach topping, painful, yet delicious finish to a meal that I will remember for quite some time.

To me, good food is always appreciated, but generally expected, at the strongest TA recommended establishments. I find that incredible service is much harder to maintain and experience. In San Jose on this night, I could not have felt more taken care of and appreciated as a customer. I have rarely felt so compelled to convince myself to leave more on the 'tip' line on our final check.

As we scope the rest of our restaurant schedule on this Cabo trip, I will be comparing every experience to this one. Well done.

1  Thank benjee03
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a wonderful meal and recommend this restaurant highly. My son had a fresh fish dish that was perfect, I opted for Chicken Enchilladas which featured melt-in-your-mouth homemade tortillas and my husband had Chillie Relleno that were stuffed with delectable nuts, fruit & cheese in a pear sauce that was truly outstanding. We went on a Thursday night when the galleries were open for Art Walk and the square busy with local vendors who had truly handmade crafts. We will stay in San Jose next trip as the beach open for swimming and lovely architecture, art galleries and slower pace beats trashy, touristy, bar on every corner ambiance of Cabo is a turn off for us.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Simply unbelievable!!!! we walked into the restaurant at 2pm after catching some Dorado. NO one was in the restaurant. the front door was unlocked so we just wwlked in. we placed 6# of dorado fillets in their refrigerator and left a hand written note on the maitre D stand that a party of four would be at the restauarnet at 7pm and I left some fresh fish in their refrigerator for them to prepare for our dinner.... i wasnt sure what to expect.. OMG!!!! we had the best dinner of our lives!!! they made shasimi in a soy/lime sauce that was out of this world... that followed up by some sushi rolls and then a deepfried mahi & cream cheese "chimichanga-like" delight after which they brought the main course---grilled Mahi with a pepper sauce and a garlic sauce. Of course, we had the mojitos --everyone loved them even though we normally never drink them!!! this was the best food and restaurant experience of our lives!!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Walking around the square in San Jose Del Cabo looking for a place to eat we happened upon a local who we asked where he would go. We mentioned a few and he said "Have you considered Meson Del Angel? This is my favorite." It was a few block hike from the square but well worth the trip. Great food and attention from wait staff and the owner. It is high on our list to revisit.

1  Thank Ron W