“Great Place to Relax and Enjoy the Sun”

Worldmark Coral Baja
OR
“Great Place to Relax and Enjoy the Sun”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

The resort, complete with a pool and swim up bar, was right on the beach. The view was gorgeous. Happy hour was every day from 2-4 with 2 for 1 drinks. The Miami Vice is tasty! Past the pool, they have lounge chairs with palm hut umbrellas if you want some shade - which helps because it gets hot! You can't swim in the ocean in front of the resort, because the current is too strong, but just a short cab ride away is Chileno Beach, with nice warm water and great snorkeling. They also have palm hut umbrellas, but get there early if you want to snag one. The restaurant on site, Mama Mia's, has great food, including seafood, pizza, etc., and it's reasonably priced. They have free internet in a computer room near the lobby and a fitness center. My husband and I went with a few friends and we all had a great time relaxing by the pool and enjoying the ocean view. The only thing I really missed at this resort, was being able to go in the water. Otherwise it was great and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2010

It was low season early november and the resort was maybe half full. The resort is beautiful and I loved the beach and the nippa huts you can always get beach chairs and when we walked the very long beach I counted only 10 other people walking the beach as well it was sooo beautiful. The staff were very friendly the food was great and the drinks were really good too. The pool was very nice. They even ordered a paperview boxing fight for us in the bar area, it was played in spanish but that was fine. We took the bus for around 2 dollars to cabo area and went to lovers beach and parisailing that was sooo much fun. It was safe taking the bus and it was an adventure they drive a little crazy..hahaha....The taxi ride would have been 30 or 35 dollars one way. Again the resort,the beach,the staff were all amazing.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank branlaine
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 4, 2010

The hotel is average. It is nice because the rooms are like condos not hotels. The veiw from our room was beautiful it looked over the pool and beach. My mom and I would get up to see sunrise in the morning and walk on the beach. One day we even saw a sea turtle that had just laid eggs it was amazing. The only other problem with the room was the air conditoner. It whisled a little and wasn't cold enough.The mama mia restruant is ok. Chicken and fish were served dry. The price for the feista there is to high $35 dollars per person not including drinks. I would watch from my room next time. Lupita was our most pleasent thing about staying at coral baja. We booked a car online with expedia before we left some fake hertez guys picked us up and gave us a fake/ not hertez rental. They said the car was $1000 more than we signed up for. Lupita took us under her wing and fixed everything for us. She also recommended the most amazing places to get great food, liquor, where to shop and exchange money. Thank you again Lupita for your wonderful customer service skills.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank aleigha85
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We were very impressed with Coral Baja. It is right on the beach, every room has a view, and the staff is very helpful and friendly. We stayed in a private penthouse, which is not overseen by the resort, however when we asked about getting a crib for our toddler, they kindly brought one to us. They have activities all throughout the day that are fun for people of all ages (water aerobics, water polo & volleyball, bingo, salsa dancing, etc.) It is very family friendly, but fun for couples too! Our only complaint was the elevator...it was a little noisy and trembly. Since there are only 6 floors, it normally wouldn't be a problem and we'd take the stairs. However, we were on the 6th floor and my mom just had knee surgery a few weeks prior, so she had no choice. But, overall, it was a wonderful family vacation and I would highly recommend Coral Baja Resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank pdxtraveler731
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2010

my wife and i have been long time owners of Wyndam, Worldmark Trendwest timeshare resorts. we have to say that this is one of our favorite resorts, and we use Worldmark tirelessly. we are always running in deficit of timeshare points, which is why, on this trip, we decided to buy more!

this resort, is by no means like a SUPER resort that the all inclusives tout, but it is very quaint and very quiet. it's located in San Jose del Cabo which is about 30 minutes north of the main town Cabo San Lucas. you can take one of the public buses (very safe and used by many tourists as well as locals). the cost for a bus is 250 pesos one way or $2.50US ($5US per person round trip, or 50 pesos). if you want to take a taxi, that's closer to about $25-$30 US depending on where you'd like them to drop you off. i really recommend taking the bus.

the unit we stayed in was a one bedroom delux, the entrance to the unit is on the parking lot side, while the balcony overlooks the ocean. for our purposes, the unit was more than accommodating and very spacious with 110 current coming out of the plug sockets just like US outlets.

the view from the balcony is spectacular overlooking the pool, courtyard, and beach/ocean. you can literally hear the ocean crashing with the balcony sliding door closed.

you cannot swim in this beach water because of the ocean floor drop off being so close to the shore in this area. the resort does warn you as you check in, but having stayed at this resort before, we knew that already. we did see one rather tipsy lady get in the water, and within minutes onlookers were rescuing her out of about 6 feet of water crashing on top of her.

the resort has three quaint restaurants on site, with Dominoes and Subway just outside the gate. the Mama Mia restaurant is open 7 days per week, has a full bar, and has very decent food. not five star, but very good authentic Mexican and the staff is awesome. they also have a sports bar adjacent to the restaurant that has nightly activities. we joined the kareoke night, and had a BLAST!! with each of these sites and the swim up bar, happy hour was basically 2pm to 8pm everyday!! the prices were VERY VERY reasonable, and they dont try to rape you. i highly recommend paying everything in pesos, as you will get a better return for your money than using US dollars.

when we were there the exchange rate is about 12 pesos for 1 US dollar. so if you use US dollars, EVERYWHERE you go, they will round UP!! if it's 130 pesos, that translates to $13 US, but if you do the math $13 exchanged should be $156 pesos. so pay for everything in pesos, you'll save yourself a few bucks in the end for sure! for example, if the cab ride costs $5 US to the local market up the street, pay them 50 pesos instead because in reality, 50 pesos is really only $4.16. by the way, the front desk at this resort has it's own exchange currency, that has the best exchange rate anywhere! even better than the surrounding banks and especially the airport. really suggest talking to the front desk staff for currency exchange.

lastly, if you're not already an owner, i suggest you do some sort of timeshare presentation while in Cabo...you will get FREE STUFF. we did one because we're owners and wanted to buy more points anyways, but we got 1000 pesos cash to spend at the resort, plus a bunch of free weeks (which we needed anyway), PLUS free tequila tasting. who can beat that? we met another couple who were owners from California who were doing a presentation 4 out of the 5 days they were there. they got ALL OF THEIR excursions paid for, AND got a free rental car for their entire stay, PLUS $200 US cash for spending! i say, if you can handle the high pressure sales and still say no, then why not get a bunch of free stuff for a nearly free vacation?

now this is a family resort, and there were children there, but i have to tell you, this resort is so quiet and predominantly adult, so if you're concerned about kids running around screaming, this was not the case here. i was a little concerned since this is our wedding anniversary trip, but literally, there were maybe 3 or 4 kids total the whole time we were there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rob O
Fresno, California
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I thought it was wonderful, very hot, but the room was well air conditioned. Nice rooms, fully stocked with whatever you need. Restaurants and mini mart close by. Also has a Mega which is like our wal-mart for groceries to stock up in your room if you choose. I just can't put into words what an incredible time we had. You really should go there and see for yourself.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2010

I was not looking forward to going to the Coral Baja. It was a gift and Cabo is not the location I would have chosen for a relaxing vacation, so I went in with fairly low expectations.

Our trip was so fantastic, that I felt the need to come here and eat a little crow.

I loved being about 20 miles from San Lucas. The beach, while not swimmable, was white, clean, the sunrise was amazing. I could sit there and watch the surf for hours. I was concerned about there only being one restaurant on the property, but Mama Mia had delicious food. Every meal we had was very very good. I have no complaints. The fish tacos were my favorite, but I tried everything my husband ordered and it was all very good.

Happy hour. From 2-4 you get 2 for 1 drinks at the pool bar. From 4-6 you get 2 for 1 drinks at the sports bar or Mama Mia (I can't remember, thanks to the pool bar's happy hour!). Order a mojito. Super yum. I was waited on quickly and the drinks were always so good. Funny bartenders.

Poolside games. First off, I am not a timeshare person. I'm not a good cruise person. When I'm on vacation, I'm not there to make friends. So I was not into the games, but 90% of the people at the pool played bingo, and 50% played volleyball and polo and had a blast. I just wanted to read and have some cocktails. Everyone looked like they were having a really great time.

Beach Vendors. There is a crew out there selling crap. Once you tell them no, they leave you alone. They stay in one area and don't spread out, so if you sit under the palapas near Mama Mia you have an unobstructed view and they leave you alone.

The room. We had a one bedroom deluxe and I really liked it. The bed was awesome, the bedroom was roomy, the bathroom was clean and the shower was great. Instant hot water, but be careful, there's a hot water tank in your unit and I could imagine you'd run out. We didn't, but there was just the two of us. The balcony was awesome--we sat out there a lot and read, watched the surf. The kitchen was well-stocked. If you needed anything, just call and they brought it to you. The only thing I didn't like was the cane furniture. it was very 70's Hawaii. It reminded me of waiting room furniture. I would have liked something more homey or comfortable. It was perfect for two people, but we could have stayed in there with our three kids. There was a murphy bed and one of our kids could have slept on the couch. It was have been squishy, but better than a room in an all-inclusive or other hotel, you know?

Washer and dryer in the unit--I swore I wouldn't do laundry, but I did! We went home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. Which rocked.

Business center--There were always four working computers with internet and a printer to use for free. I really appreciated that. Free wi-fi at the pool and Mama Mia.

Fitness center--Was very clean. I used it three times. It was busy first thing in the morning one day but the other days it was empty. When we were at the pool, we would come in to fill our water bottles or cups with water from the gym. There was a big water machine in there with ice cold water. Loved it.

Car rental--we used advantage. $207 for 8 days, mid-sized car. They pick you up at the airport and try to sell you a timeshare (like everyone else), but the car was awesome to have.

Excursions--San Jose was nice for a bit, but the store owners are so desperate for a sale that it quickly became icky to me. San Lucas...we didn't spend much time on Medano Beach, but the vendors got old quickly. The marina was nice, the mall was pretty and clean. We did a sunset cruise on a catamaran and that was well worth the time and money. Loved it!

Cabo Pulmo--If you want to snorkel, get in your car and head up Hwy 1 to Cabo Pulmo. It's about 40 miles, but takes about 90 minutes to get there. Rent snorkel gear for $15 and head to Los Arbolitos beach and spend the day. A.maz.ing. Beautiful living coral reef, huge colorful fish, crystal clear caribbean like water....we had the most amazing day there. It's my new favorite place on earth.

La Paz--Plan to spend a day on the beaches near La Paz. It's about a 2.5 hour drive. We left at 8 a.m. and even with horrendous road construction, we got to La Paz around 10:30 a.m. Walked around town, visited the cathedral, ate lunch at La Terraza on the waterfront. La Paz has such a clean, beautiful waterfront with a miles-long boardwalk that is well-lit and well-used by locals and vacationers. It's so clean and Disney-like. Fifteen miles up the road, you'll find La Paz's swimmable beaches. The furthest is Playa Tecolote. There are dive shops, several cantinas, kayak and jet ski rentals. All affordable. When we got there at 1, the place was dead. No one for miles. The water is caribbean blue and clear and clean for miles. It was gorgeous!! The snorkeling isn't that great, but you don't need gear to see fish swimming all around you. The water was warm....the most beautiful place!! I loved how empty it was. No vendors, gorgeous views, no tourists. We rented a waverunner for an hour and explored all the bays. So much fun.

Wild Canyon eko park--We did the zip line tour. They picked us up at the hotel at 8:20 a.m. and drove us to the park. There are 8 zip lines that take about 2 hours to complete. So much fun! They are well organized, everything was clean, the staff was knowledgeable and beautiful to look at. We had the best morning there! Midway through the zips, there is a bar! Drinking a Pacifico while watching people zip across the canyons...I will remember that forever. It's the same company that runs the Puerto Vallarta jungle canopy zip lines. They know what they're doing. I felt so safe.

In short, although Cabo wasn't the place I wanted to go, we had the best vacation. And Coral Baja was a great jumping off point. Really loved the entire experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple