“Trip with teens-Great Value”

Worldmark Coral Baja
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was our third stay at Coral Baja. We hadn't been there in 8 years though, so were anxious to see if we would still be comfortable there. With teens in tow we arrived in our rental car (rented from Dominic, a local, I highly recommend, http://dominicloscabos.com/) to find Coral Baja exactly as we left it; well kept, friendly staff, and perfect for the low-maintenance travelers we are. The activities desk gave us the help we needed through the week, the pool was always clean and welcoming, and the on-site restaurant was not nearly as scary and poor as many of the reviews made it out to be. Our boys (14 and 17) loved the food there and we had a few rounds of guacamole and quesadillas by the pool ourselves. We enjoyed the entertainment there at dinner too. A cover band on Saturday night and the drum/dance group on Monday. So fun! We did venture out to Flora's Field Kitchen on Tuesday night which we HIGHLY recommend--it's ten miles out of San Jose Del Cabo and serves up organic (don't let that scare you, we had free-range fried chicken!) fare and wonderful views. Go!! Oh, I just realized, this review is supposed to be about Coral Baja. Ok, back to that. Having been there before we knew it would be a challenge to make the one bedroom work, but we did it. We were in the deluxe version which afforded us with the all-important extra door to the bathroom so the boys could go in and out without coming through our bedroom. I will say the murphy bed was a bid short. Our 5 foot 10 and 6 foot 1 boys hung off the edges, but they didn't complain. There was a "couch" too and they actually traded off each night on those. Our king bed in the master was surprisingly comfortable and the pillows were average, For as little as we were in the room, it was really perfect. We put the kitchen to full use cooking eggs each morning with tortillas and avocados we picked up at the Mega store on the way in. Of course, the view was fantastic, as most of them are at Coral Baja. We spent lots of time on the deck; and yes, we turned the A/C off when we went out so we didn't have the not air blowing on us. Stopping at the Mega grocery store on the way into town was the best thing we did, although we did make many trips to the American-owned Mini Super at the top of the hill at the resort. It was there we found real butter...there was none to be found at the Mexican stores (oh it LOOKS like butter, but it's not.) We turned our phones off while we were there (and turned the roaming off too)` but did take a lap top. I never did get the wired internet to work in our room (user error, I'm sure) but I did take the laptop down and easily used the resort Wireless network many times. Their computer room was also great with five desk top computers that were rarely all in use at the same time. Our boys used it a LOT. Overall we were very, very pleased with our stay at Coral Baja. We are easy-going travelers and I will say I lowered my expectations with everything I read before we our trip--unnecessarily so. There is always something going on there (we LOVED Victor who led bingo out by the pool, water aerobics in the morning, pool volleyball in the afternoons and many other activities) but you can also ignore all that and just BE. I kept saying Coral Baja is the perfect place to stay for a week and not go ANYwhere because everything you need is right there--a little grocery store, two restaurants (we loved Sardina's at the top of the hill too), Emerald City Smoothie, Subway, and Domino's...all right there. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have specific questions.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Angela W
There are newer reviews for Worldmark Coral Baja

Reviewed July 22, 2012

All the one bedroom units have a full view of this exceptional sunrise. Many of the 2 bedroom units are in a back building so not as fortunate.
The lawn and pool at the front of the property are as good as any 1st class place we have stayed at. There is also lots of shade provided for those that burn as fast as I do.
The street vendoors stay behind a rope in front of the property and do not bother you - they are just there to sell you things, if you so desire.
The staff is excellent and I appreciated being able to exchange US currency for pesos at the front desk.
There is a tour guide and car rental desk just off the lobby if you need either.
The Mega Store close buy was a daily venture (especially for the puff pasteries).
The only negative was the onsite restaurant, but that was "saved" by discovering the fantastic small restaurant just past the taxi stands out the east gate - not to be missed.
We are now making this location an almost annual MUST visit.

Room Tip: Get the Deluxe one bedroom as it is very spacious. The higher floors have the best distance views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank grant27
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this resort for 12 days in September of 2011. The resort was very nice and clean, and the staff were, for the most part, very friendly and helpful. While I didn't feel like they were like the staff at many other resorts where they send you places based on the kick-backs they get, they seemed to have a difficult time recommending anything other than the typical tourist centers. On one occasion I asked where I could find a traditional tortillarilla, and they tried sending me to the baking department at the nearby supermarket. Then I asked where the locals shopped for groceries, as I didn't wish to shop at the supermarket for vacationing gringos. I finally got an expat to tell me where to go.

The room was reasonably spacious, and while the bed was comfortable, the pillows needed to be replaced years ago. We actually bought pillows while we were there so we could sleep ok.

The wi-fi internet connection was not set up in the room correctly and didn't work, so I had to call an 1-800 tech line for Worldmark and they walked me through setting it up the right way (I bet it got moved back as soon as we checked out).

The furnishings were comfortable, but was a wicker set, and the sort of thing you would get comfortable on lounging around in the living room. The balcony was very nice with a great view of the Sea of Cortez, but if you have the AC on it can get really stuffy on the balcony as most of them don't have good ventilation for all of the hot air coming out of the AC unit.

The pool area was great with a swim up bar and restaurant next to it, all right by the beach. There was also a "sports" bar next to the restaurant as well.

They did different events at the restaurant each night (karaoke one night, a mexican fiesta another, etc) which made it kind of fun.

There are also gas BBQ grills down by the pool area. We brought our food and beers down by the pool and BBQed several of our meals by the pool and just hung out there by the beach...quite nice.

The workout room here has top quality equipment in it and they have an computer room where you can get internet access if you'd like as well.

I'd definitely recommend this place and will be going here again if the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: The ocean is not safe for swimming in.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mdmarshall75
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Spent a week at the Worldmark Coral Baja resort and we just loved it. From the relaxing atmosphere to the many activities we had an all around wonderful vacation. Mexican fiesta night and Brazilian dance night were a couple of rally nice touches. And Happy hour from 2 - 4 pm at the pool and 4 to 6pm at the bar, well what more could you ask for! Resorts ground were very well maintained and the staff were really friendly and accommodating. The only drawback was not being able swim (or even really get in the water) in front of the resort.

3  Thank Dan A
Reviewed June 28, 2012

First time we have stayed at Coral Baja, definitely not our last! When we originally booked back in September we were only able to get a two bedroom at the back of the resort and we put ourselves on the upgrade list. Got the glorious phone call in late April saying we were upgraded to a two bedroom king, of which there are only four on the whole property! We are guessing we were upgraded because someone backed out due to the G20 Summit.

We arrived on June 17th, the day before the actual G20 meeting, and the airport was dead. We were off the plane, through immigration and customs and out to our transportation (Cabo Transfers) in 20 minutes! The toll road was closed, so we took the scenic route, through two checkpoints. We made it to the Mega in about 20 minutes. Stopped for groceries so we wouldn't have to deal with it later. Check-in at CB was easy and we were up to our room, 410 in Building 1, in about 15 minutes. Very nice room, with a great view of the pool and ocean. Could see the sunrise from the master bed every morning. The kitchen was nicely sized. The bedrooms were large, individual ac's. The second bedroom had a window that looked into the outside hallway/corridor. The bathrooms were also large and the showers were heavenly. The balcony was good sized, large enough for a table and four chairs. Only downfall was the fan for the living room ac was out on the balcony and if it was on, it blew hot air right at you! We would turn off the living room ac when we would go outside and turn on the bedroom ac's - the whole condo would stay nice and cool.

The pool area is very nice, and we were always able to find two chairs. The swim up bar was nice and the happy hour from 2-4pm was a deal! One day me and my daughter had strawberry daiquiri's (one was virgin!) and chips & salsa - the bill was $11.25 before tip! The beach is great for daily walks. You are only a 10 minute walk from the Mega and the sidewalks have been redone - they are nice and safe.

We had breakfast at Mama Mia's and it was ok. The food was rather bland. Not bad tasting, just bland. Service was nice. We could see all the nightly entertainment from our room, it looked like fun, but with a daughter who needed to go to bed, we couldn't attend.

We will most definitely go back to Coral Baja and encourage anyone looking at staying here to go! It is a smaller resort and much more laid back. Great vacation for those wanting to really check out for a week or so!

5  Thank Brenda V
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was my first time in Mexico, best trip ever. I have reservations for Hawaii next year that I'm going to cancel so that I can go back to Worldmark coral Baja. The resort is clean., the view is spectacular, Mama Mia's restaurant was very entertaining, food was good.

P.S. I wish it were closer to all the action in Cabo San Lucas, but there are buses, and taxi's.

2  Thank Debbie N
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My Husband and I have stayed here twice, in May 2010 and in August 2011! We love this resort. The bartenders at the swim up bar are the best, you really feel like you get to know them. The rooms are clean, the air conditioning works well, the t.v. has lots of English channels, and a safe is provided. The on-site restaurant, Mama Mia's is delicious and reasonably priced. We ate there several times on both trips. The second trip we attended their fiesta night which was enjoyable. We always take the bus into Cabo because it's cheaper. On our second trip, we took a cab to Wal-mart to buy groceries and another time to shop in downtown San Jose Del Cabo. I would recommend the Domino's right in front of the resort, some of the best pizza I've ever had and I don't like Domino's at home! We had great trips both times and we will definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple