“The Worst Food I Honestly Have EVER Had In My Life (No Joke)”
Review of El Comal - CLOSED

El Comal
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Worst Food I Honestly Have EVER Had In My Life (No Joke)”
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Where do I start? Yes, it is true that the atmosphere is lovely as it is outdoors and is surrounded by pretty trees and plants, BUT (and this cancels out everything else entirely) the food is simply not edible. Terrible. We spent $70 and we left starving somehow. Having eating only enough bites as it took to realize that the food was AWFUL! Please consider this a warning. Absolute waste of money! We still can't get over how bad this place was, so all we are left to do is laugh about our culinary misfortune. Every single item ordered was bad, bad, bad. We had a group of seven with us and nobody ate. I'm not trying to be mean, I feel a little bit bad writing such a horrible review, but it's so true. Just don't do it.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank trishtanner

Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delectable food with a warm, romantic ambiance”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Great restaurant in the historic part of San Jose del Cabo right on the main street. Restaurart is outdoors under the stars in a courtyard setting just steps down from the main street in the historic district. Food was gourmet Mexican and the service was top knotch. We went there 3 times during our one week stay in Cabo. Food was a great value and the place is special. I highly recommend it.

• Visited December 2010
Chino Hills CA
“Buyer Beware!”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The location is a secluded patio, garden setting on the main street which is very nice. The owner/manager greets you at the door and whisks you away to one of the tables. That's where the problems begin. We couldn't locate tacos on the menu, so we asked if they had them, and if so, the cost. The waiter said they did, and that tacos were 100 pesos. My wife ordered shrimp tacos. I ordered something else. The food was good enough, but not large portions. When the check came, they wanted to charge us 150 pesos. The old Bait and Switch routine. We questioned the waiter about why the difference in price, and he said it was because they were shrimp tacos. We asked him why didn't he tell us about the price difference in the beginning. He just shrugged his shoulders. OK...so I figured I'd learned a valuable lesson, pulled out my credit card and gave it to the waiter. He proceeds to tell me they don't take credit cards. I asked him why they didn't tell me that before we ordered, and that there were no signs that credit cards were not accepted. Not only that, but this restaurant promotes advertisements in local tourist magazines that ALL major credit cards are accepted. His only response was "sorry senor." Fortunately, we had enough cash to pay the fare. I almost forgot to mention he had the audacity to add his service charge onto the check. These are the oldest tricks in the books. This is a scam restaurant, and they need to be held accountable. We will never go to this restaurant again. Please beware.

2 Thank Jimboz
Brentwood, California
“Hidden Garden Restaurant in San Jose Del Cabo”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

What a treat to eat at El Comal with its good food, service, and authentic atmosphere with a three piece Mariachis band. Located just across the street from the more well known Tropicana (we had eaten there the night before and found it a bit pricy but very good), this little jewel is hidden down a short narrow hallway lined with trinket shops. It was a nice surprise to discover this sunken courtyard restaurant filled with greenery and overhanging trees. The tables were decorated with bright white local textiles each with a colorful trim. The martinis were tasty and the salad was extraordinary with a wonderful chili olive oil. We didn’t want a huge meal so ordered tamales at a price or around $11. The other menu offerings looked great. For dessert we shared a large dish of icecream trimmed with a mint sprig that the waiter picked from the plants growing near by. The ice cream was wonderfully cold and hard - not a melted mass that is so often the case in Mexcio. The waiter was excellent and happily took pictures of us from the entry steps. This dinner was on an evening when the city was holding their weekly gallery Thursday Artwalk. The only unfortunate thing about the evening was the fact that we were the ONLY couple in the garden from 6 to 7:30 p.m. We certainly didn’t mind but felt bad for the staff. The financial down turn seems to have had a major impact on the Cabo area. We highly recommend this lovely eatery which is in one of the oldest buildingsi n San Jose. We wish the establishment well.

st. charles, mo
“Outdoor dining with authentic fare”
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We dined at El Comal on our last trip to Cabo in March 2010. It was not busy, we were the only table. But it was wonderful! The food was authentic and very tasty. The spices used were well thought out and the portions were generous. The setting is peaceful and the service was good. The prices were reasonable