A little background about us... My husband and I are in our mid 30's and travel quite a bit. Among other places, I have been to Mexico 4 times in the past year (Cozumel, Playa---twice, and Cabo). This was our first time to Cabo and we traveled with another couple our same age. We chose Casa Dorada mostly because of the Tripadvisor reviews about the location. We were looking for a non-inclusive resort in a great location where we can walk to restaurants and be in the middle of the action. We like to drink while we are on vacation also, so when you read my review, keep that in mind. :)
Ok, onto the pros and the cons....
1.Loved our room! We had a large suite with a full size kitchen and living room, a huge and comfortable (great for Mexico!) bed and a large whirlpool tub. Very nice and Very quiet. We upgraded for an extra $50 a night for this room when we checked in. We stayed on the quiet side of the resort. Our friends stayed on the opposite end, and they said they could hear the music from the Mango Deck at night. Make sure and request the side away from the Mango Deck unless you like to hear thump thump through the night. ;)
2.Loved the Spa! I had a facial and a combo massage and loved both of them. They treated me very well and I was very very relaxed! Had a steam room, a sauna, a hot tub and a cold tub as well.
3. Food we ordered at the pool was great! Had breakfast every morning at the resort (downstairs by the beach--don't know the name) and it was excellent. $16 for all you can eat. Best fresh squeezed juices!
4. Other vacationers we met at the resort were so nice and we had a very nice time getting to know fellow travelers and their stories. At the end of the day and before dinner, we would get in the hot tub with a bunch of people and have the best time drinking and talking to people.
5. Location of the resort is the best around. You walk down the steps of the resort toward the beach and there are beach bars lined up one after another. All kinds of water taxis, wave runners, and activities at your disposal. Tons of venders (We said "no gracias" about a hundred times! pretty annoying) It was interesting to us that when you are at the resort pool you don't hear or feel any of the "spring break" vibe but once you walk out of the resort and on the beach, it's a whole different feel! Lots of action on the beach (and not much action at the resort----see my con on this)
We walked about 10 minutes or so to the Marina. Restaurant central! Very fun! You can either walk there via beach (which is a beautiful sunset walk) or by the streets. We might be more on the paranoid side of things, but we didn't feel super safe walking back late at night on the streets. The streets aren't all that well lit. We never had any problems, but it did make us a little bit nervous.
6. Never got bothered by the time share folks. We checked in on a monday at 12:00 (check-in is normally 3:00). I don't know if it is because it's off season, a monday and before normal check-in, but we were never once bothered by Time share reps. Never even saw them.
7. Very very clean! Beautifully kept.
8. Felt very safe.
9. Fitness center has pretty decent equipment... 3 or so ellipticals and 3 or 4 treadmills all with individual tv screens. Weights. See Con list for other remarks about fitness center.
1. Not much action.... The resort was very "ho hum" as far as any entertainment or any action of any kind. The pool was very boring. No one was at the swim up bar and nobody was partying at all. Not that I need the partying, but there wasn't any kind of fun vibe at all. It was very zen, relaxing. We pretty much napped at the pool because it was pretty lame. Granted it is the end of May, but I was surprised by the lack of partying which leads me to my next con....
2. Terrible and I mean terrible bar/drink service at the pool! There is virtually no waiters, waitresses at the pool. We had to beg for someone to come bring us beers. We ended up buying beers by the bucket because they just would never come around. Probably why my # 1 Con is happening. If it was an all-inclusive resort, I might understand why they don't want to serve many drinks, but we are PAYING for our drinks. You would think the management would have a herd of waiters by the pool to serve drinks since it's a huge money maker. If you are looking for a party atmosphere, this is not your resort, but if you are looking for a relaxing resort where you can choose to go to the beach for the party, then Casa Dorada is perfect for that. We just couldn't get over the terrible pool side service.
***an exception to this are two stand-out employees. Alma was our waitress one day and was excellent. The pool concierge, Pacho or Pablo?, was great but we only saw him one day (our last day).
3. Fitness center was a Sauna. We worked out almost every day of our trip and the workout room was SOOOO HOT!
Overall, we had a great trip! We loved Casa Dorada for a relaxing and beautiful resort with a great location. Disappointed in the party atmosphere, but at least we got lots of R&R! If you have any questions about Casa Dorada, please feel free to contact me. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an incomparable location on Medano Beach -- the best swimmable beach of Cabo, Casa Dorada is just steps away from world-class shopping, dining, entertainment, and the marina. As a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, a collection of the world’s finest independent luxury hotels, Casa Dorada Los Cabos brings the upscale service and family-friendly features to the Cabo San Lucas oceanfront. The Resort grants visitors a more convenient, yet equally spectacular, alternative to the more remote hotel zone of the Tourist Corridor. Boasting unobstructed vistas of Land’s End and the famous Arch, Casa Dorada is just 30 minutes away from Los Cabos International Airport. All of the 185 spacious one-, two- and three-bedroom suites and penthouses, open up to Los Cabos’ most dazzling ocean view, while the luminous and contemporary interiors ensure your comfort and satisfaction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Dorada Los Cabos Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas