“Beatiful Property That I Will Not Return to”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chicago
“Beatiful Property That I Will Not Return to”
Reviewed February 10, 2010

My husband and I just vacationed at in Cabo, splitting our time between San Lucas and San Jose. While in San Lucas we stayed at the Casa Dorada, based on the reviews from trip advisor. It was a gorgeous property. The pool lovely (a bit on the quite side) and the beach right off the pool with water sports right there. I had requested an upper unit when I made the reservation, but we were put on the bottom floor, with no ocean in sight. I tried to get a new room at the front desk and was told maybe tomorrow, come back in the morning . Once one of the employees from the concierge desk helped us to our room and showed us around, he noticed the sink was broken and the VCR and mini bar were missing. Not too big of a deal for us, but he said, "Let me get you guys out of this room, it is the worst one we have". He got us moved. I still can't figure out why the front desk couldn't move us, since as we found out later, that it was only 40% occupied. It was a gorgeous 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen. The hotel overlooked the famous arch which was a quick glass bottom boat ride away. The food and drinks by the pool were fantastic and reasonably priced. It is spa music by the pool in the morning, and 80's american music in the afternoon. Too bad the beach bar next door's loud DJ playing 80's - 2000 dance tunes (american music/and DJ whom you couldn't even understand because he was soooo loud in the mic) competed with the hotel music. Also good was the ceviche at The Office, and their margarita was awesome and HUGE. The venders on this beach are plentyful. Wow....we were one of two tables at The Office, and I had about 15 - 20 venders starting at me while I ate, thankfully the margarita was very strong that it became less annoying. I was offered weed, pipes, and coke at least 10 times every walk on the beach...that is no exaggeration. The marina is very pretty full of shops and retaurants. Location is good if you want to party american style..... A lot of places LOVE 80's music from america. Cabo San Jose definitely felt more like Mexico.

For those who were not annoyed by the Vacation Club pushers... you are a much more patient vacationer than I. We sat through the INCREDIBLY long sell. Yes, they agree to pay for massages, glass bottom boat tours, a bottle of tequila, taxi fair to from airport.....etc..... for you to sit through the presentation. We finally said yes, figuring the free stuff would be worth two hrs in the morning. It started off costing $45,000 for the package he was selling us, and by the time of our last no, it was all the way down to 10,000 (so if you are interested in a vacation club....hold out!!) And then when we said no again, he told us he waisted $700 dollars on us. (Which at first made us laugh and then made us mad.) Then the closer came in and offered us a year trial membership for 1,900. We said no, and had to say no everytime we were in the lobby. I started taking long ways to get to the pool to avoid the lobby. Yes, they take no for an answer, but they ask and ask and ask. I started getting anxious every time I walked in the lobby and tried not to make eye contact. The man who tried to sell us the time share also lied many times throughout! Telling us the next hotel we were going to was owed by the Casa Dorada and part of the vacation club. I thought it strange that the Hilton Family would put their name on a property they didn't own. Well I asked when I got to the Hilton (and our vacation REALLY started) and they said the Casa Dorada USE to own the property but sold it to the Hilton's. He also said we were one of the few people staying there that was not a vacation club renter, which was not true according to the people we spoke to by the pool.

Then we got to the Hilton for the 2nd part of the vacation. We walked in to the concierge desk, we were approached by one man only. Who showed us to our room on the top floor where he proceeded to check us in while we were whale watching on our balcony. In room check in... great idea. I said thank you so much...and your not going to try to sell us anything today? He smiled and said, "Just a great vacation".

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Beck'sSun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I was recently at Casa Dorada Los Cabos and my overall experience was just amazing.

I travelled by myself and even when I was on vacation, I had to do some work so I took my laptop with me.

From the very moment I arrived I totally felt at home, the staff was kind, respectfull and professional at all times. I didn´t even considered placing my laptop or wallet on the safe in my room, which by the way was large enough to hold my computer and even had an electrical outlet inside to charge it while I enjoyed the sun!

Thank you Casa Dorada for this wonderfull experience. Hope to visit you soon!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank JRGPR
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Casa Dorada is a great hotel. Rooms are great, food at beachside was yummy. Staff is wonderful and attentive. Was annoyed that there wasnt free wifii in rooms?
But its close to shops, and resturants, easy walk to marina...
Its little boring by the pool.. elevator music, But i guess if you want to relax its perfect. We stayed at beachside, alittle more people watching. There is a busy bar next door, kind of loud but it didnt bother us too much. great views of rocks from rooms!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank olenabklyn
San Jose CA
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Casa Dorada is a great place to stay in Cabo. Our room was about 150 feet from the beach and we had a nice view of the bay (all rooms have ocean views) and the pools (we were at the end of the pool wiht the swim-up bar). The service was really good, and everyone was friendly, courteous, and helpful, but not in your way or hovering. The housekeeping staff does a great job, and they work to your schedule. The maintenance people keep the grounds immaculate and everything ship-shape. My fiance went to the spa and the health club (I didn't, because I was in full-on relax mode), and she thought both were well operated, clean, and nice.

I won't say much about the physical location of the hotel, but let's just say that it takes 2-3 minutes to get from the room to the beach, and a slow stroll to downtown Cabo takes about 10 minutes.

The room (a studio type) was good sized, had a large comfy bed, two large TVs, a sofa, a table and chairs, and a mini-kitchen (fridge, coffee maker, 2-burner stove, toaster, etc.). The patio was large enough for 2 lounge chairs and a table with chairs, everything was close together, but not crowded.

There were only two annoying things about the room, and both were in the bathroom, and both are minor quibbles:

- One is that the bath tub with shower is kind of high, meaning that you really have to climb in and out. This could be a problem for someone who is elderly, sick, or hung over.

- The toilet is just a little too close to the wall. If you are a smaller person, it would be fine, but I am 5'10" and 235 lb. and my shoulder was almost touching the wall when I sat down.

Like I said, my quibbles are not big things. Overall, a GREAT place to stay. Will I stay there again? Yes, definately. Would I recommend it? Yes.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rkoolkin
UK
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Casa Dorada is the best hotel I've ever stayed in all my life. The facilities are great, wonderful food and the staff is definitely their best asset. Once I forgot my camera on the restaurant and they gave it to us within minutes. To stay in Casa Dorada was an unforgettable experience

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed January 27, 2010

After much research we decided to stay at the Casa Dorada the week before Christmas. Our son brought a friend and the second bedroom worked wonderfully. They had their own kitchenette so they didn't need to bother us for every little thing. The pool and ocean view was great especially at night when the twinkle lights came on in the bottom of the pool. The service was perfect, everyone was very helpful even when they messed up and forgot to make the box lunch for a fishing trip. They comped us another meal. Don't know why so many others find the timeshare agents irritating, we just said no and they were all very polite. We will return to Casa Dorada very soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ID_Sun_Chaser
lewisburg, pa
Reviewed January 27, 2010

This was a great place, with an amazing view. The service was as good as any place I've stayed, and I've stayed at The Ritz on down. The one review about the stolen diamond ring has to be from a shill, or someone really stupid.........I wouldn't, and I don't know anyone who would leave a diamond ring in plain sight in ANY rented room! The timeshare people will take as much as you give. Just say that you're not interested and they leave you alone, give them some daylight and they'll keep bugging you, and that happens everywhere in Mexico. Beautiful place, period. I plan on going back.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends