“Can't loose with this choice.”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Miami
“Can't loose with this choice.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Clean, gorgeous, convenient, direct beach access, short of luxurious, beyond adequate. Big rooms, very clean, excellent food at their restaurants, very pleasant and attentive service. Cool pool bar, cheap beer. Breakfasts were awesome (excellent huevos rancheros!). Super family friendly with nursery and children's activities, ping pong, kiddie pool, etc. A great place to relax for three days (you'll get bored more than that) or as home base to explore adjacent towns and area. Walking distance to Cabo San Lucas downtown and marina.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Mayabue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms- had a jr suite it was perfect for two, get 4th floor and above on south side less noisy, room service came twice a day, room is in decent shape, shower curtain was nasty but overall decent, lots of drinks and snacks for purchase which made it easy, nice large patios

Pool- get at least two towel keys a person, go out by 8 to reserve your chair or you won't get one, needed better cleaning but was refreshing

12 tribes- overpriced skip it not good, breakfast buffet yuck too, we didn't eat at the hotel at all it was terrible

Edith's, The Office, Esquina (Bahia next door) great fresh juices and great restaurant, hacienda cocina y cantina walk up from beach towards marina amazing views cheapest best food we found, everything is overpriced, all those places were excellent and walking distance, get a reserv at Edith's it's very popular

Cabo Adventures great for most yours very clean and well put together,

Watch out at airport and you're "welcome package" all ways to sucker you into timeshares, pathetic all week long the entire bottom of the hotel is used for these pitches we told her 8 times in a row after getting our room key we were tired and no thank you, she finally said did you sign up at the airport, it's all a big scheme even if they give you perks no thanks I want to relax not get pitched

Beach is great but be careful if you aren't a great swimmer, lots of guys selling it gets old

ME next door has the party pool scene if you want that our hotel was very family oriented no nightlife but you can walk out the door to Mango party Deck and get that too

I wouldn't stay again because I like to try new things but a great place for my hubby and I to have fun without our kids!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank luv2travelSanDiego
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a rough check-in where they doubled our room, but after they compensated us by upgrading to the Penthouse on the top floor w/the most amazing view of Sea of Cortez and Pacific Ocean, the rest of our stay at Casa Dorada WAS magnificent. Very nice staff and it is centrally located all restaurants are w/in walking distance and only 5 minutes walk to the marina. Loved that if we didn't want to swim in the ocean we can jump right back into the pool, there were LOTS of lounge chairs on the beach so finding a place to relax and sunbath was not an issue. Great bar service at the beach as well, very attentive and they ensured that we were taken care of. Great entertainment right next door at Mango Deck and a wonderful restaurant Baja Cantina just steps away!

We will definitely come back and stay at Casa Dorada!!!

Room Tip: Penthouse 9 has an amazing view!
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Only resort my family and I will ever stay at. Just spent our 3rd summer at Casa Dorada. Everything about this resort is excellent
Staff: extremely friendly, helpful, and generous with their assistance especially Martin, Sylvia, Laura, Ivan, Aldo and Pancho. Need anything just ask ANY of the staff.
Service: first rate
Cleanliness: extreme
Location: walking distance to shops, marina and restaurants

2 Thank Susanne T
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Dorada in early July, 2013. There were 13 of us in the group celebrating my husbands' parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Let me tell you about the good, and then the not-so-good.

Overall, the hotel is wonderful. The location is amazing, the rooms are big, clean and very impressive. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a gentleman who handed us each a margarita. After our long journey that day, the margarita was a terrific touch. Well, done, Casa Dorada!!!

The cleaning people did an excellent job every day cleaning our room and I felt they definitely had been trained well on their duties.

Our group consisted of family members ages 5 to 80, so I think we covered the entire life spread! We noticed that the majority of the people at the hotel were in their 20s- 40s, and children. The older people in our group felt a bit out-of-place, I think.

You really couldn't be better situated on the beach. The hotel sits right above the Mango Bar, which is a loud, active beach bar that hosts bikini contests and other entertainment all day. Even though I could hear the music and the DJ, it was never loud enough to be a bother. The ocean water is pretty cold in Cabo, I realized. My kids decided to stick to the hotel swimming pool, which had a FANTASTIC temperature. Refreshing but not cold. I'm a skinny gal and I HATE cold pools, so I was very happy to have such a lovely pool to hang out in all week.

In some of the earlier reviews that I read about this hotel, lots of people mentioned being accosted by time-share sellers or vendors trying to get you to sign up for multiple activities all week. We did not experience this one bit. We were hit up when we arrived at the airport and then once when we first checked into the hotel, but that was it. We said no and we were left alone for the entire trip. Thank you!!

The service at the pool was a tad bit slow, but the servers were VERY friendly and sociable. Pepe was terrific and took great care of us, as well as a host of others. I also loved that they had random happy hours during the week, and each day they had a special "two-for-one" food item on the pool menu. The seviche was the BEST! The beer was ice cold (like it came straight from an ice bucket!) and the limes were juicy and bursting with flavor.

Location was terrific. We could walk into town, go shopping, sightseeing, to the restaurants, etc., and all of the kids were able to walk with us. It was nice to not have to order a single cab all week!

You'll notice I'm giving this hotel a three-star review, and here are the reasons why. Internet. Internet. Internet. The internet/Wifi connection was terrible!!!! Not just terrible, but HORRIBLE!!!!! In this day and age, it seems inexcusable for a hotel of this caliber (or ANY caliber at that) to have bad Wifi. It's almost like going to a hotel with no electricity. It shouldn't happen. The Dorada really needs to step up it's Wifi services or they are going to lose a ton of business. Very frustrating. They should not charge for the Wifi, either. Once again, it's like charging the customer for the electricity. It makes no sense. It's just a way to gauge the customer. I think that in the long-run, the hotel will find that it's not worth it to charge customers for the Wifi, because it leads to many bad reviews and ill will. Such a simple solution: fix the Wifi connection and don't charge for it!! Easy. Also, the women's bathroom in the main downstairs bar/lounge area overflowed one day. I walked into the bathroom and cannot even begin to describe to you how disgusting it was. Every toilet was filled with... well, you can imagine, and it was simply disgusting. Now, I understand that sewer systems back up now and then and need repair. What I DON'T understand is why the management did not put a sign on the bathroom saying "out of order." It would have been such a simple solution, but instead I had to see what I saw and it is permanently engrained in my memory. Not good.

Overall, I probably would have given this hotel a four-star rating if the Wifi connection had been better, but I just think that the current state of their Wifi is inexcusable and so I will drop my rating a full star. If you don't care about Wifi, then this place gets four stars and you will really enjoy it. We all had a lovely week and came home with fantastic memories of our stay in Cabo and at the Casa Dorada.

7 Thank Sondi S
Belmont, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If there ever was a place to stay where the hotel staff pretty much beats all others...this is it! Everyone from the top down is so friendly, helpful and kind from the moment you set foot in the door. Liz the Operations Manager is so delightful and always makes us feel so special! We love her!!! Ivan, the pool concierge is ever so helpful and Emilio the fabulous towel man makes sitting by the pool fantastic. Maid service is very efficient and always understanding when we are just not ready to start the day. The food served on the premisses is delicious and always presented well and the service is wonderful, whether dining poolside, in the restaurants or on the beach. Of course let us not forget the fabulous location!

Room Tip: Truly every one is wonderful. Nice and quiet by night, beautiful views by day!
2 Thank Julie N
Benicia, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I enjoy reading all of these fabulous reviews of Casa Dorada. We stay there every October.
On our first stay there, years ago, we met a large group from Tacoma WA. They were all friends and were vacationing together. We all became friends and keep in touch thoughout the year, and all come down to Casa Dorada every year together ever since. We, too, bought in to the vacation club, and really have no complaints. Yes, they will periodically ask you about possibly upgrading your membership... that's their job. That is how they get paid. Not a problem. Listen to their pitch. See if it is something you can swing... if it is... jump on it. If it is not... don't. That's the game. Not everyone can, and not everyone who can... will. They understand. The hotel is 5 Stars. The staff is professional and courteous. Ivan , who manages the outside grounds I believe, is one of the best you will find, as is Umberto at the front desk (who I understand is no longer there, due to a fabulous opportunity elsewhere. I am happy for him!) The only bad thing for me is the fact that I can only get down there once a year! I would go more often if I was able. Do yourself a favor. Book a week there. Bring family/friends. You will return again and again. I am ready to go again in October, and have a nice big room booked. See ya there! SALUD! - Tim

Room Tip: If possible... request a room on/above the 4th floor, to ensure a wonderful view of the Sea of Corte...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends