“Very nice, but 4+ quality not quite”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I went for 4 nights March 7-11. The property is very beautiful and very clean and the location is ideal for those wanting to be close to town. The rooms are spacious. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen. That was great as we bought a few snacks and breakfast items to keep from eating out all the time. I was traveling with my sister in law. She slept on the sofa bed. I can tell you, the sofa bed is not ideal for adults...its about the size of a full size bed and basically just the couch cushions turned out. She said it was ok but not desirable by any means. We did request a roll in bed but that was even less comfortable. We requested a room away from the Mango bar and on the 4th floor or higher. We were not accommodated. She assured me our room was not near the Mango Beach Bar and we would be fine. Wrong! We had room 309 which was literally 3 rooms from the lobby...and directly in front of the Mango Bar. I looked around the property and to be honest...I think all rooms are within ear shot of the Mango bar. The hotel basically half circles around it. So good luck avoiding that. None the less...they did seem to quiet down by midnight every night. So it was not as bad as I had anticipated as long as the balcony door was closed it was bearable until midnight. The food at 12 Tribes was very good. I would definitely eat there again. The room service food was gross. I'd definitely avoid that. The water in the shower was warm at best...never hot. Which was strange because the water in the jacuzzi tub was always sufficiently hot. They must be on different water heaters. We were actually cold in our room at night but could never figure out how to get heat, only A/C in the room. In their defense, we never asked either. We just tolerated it. The service was generally very good..all staff at the hotel was very nice (except the check in clerk who seemed annoyed by our asking for a room away from the Mango Bar and 4th floor). The timeshare sharks were not as bad as I read. They will approach you multiple times a day as you pass through the lobby offering free spa or other items. If you don't want to spend a few hours to get freebies, just learn to say no and move on. BTW, welcome breakfast...is code for timeshare talk. The guy tried to tell is its not a timeshare, rather its a vacation club. You can dress it any way you want but its the same thing. I did go to the spa for a somewhat overpriced pedicure. I thought the stations looked a bit grimy and needed a good cleaning for sure. None the less, the technician was great and very friendly and my pedicure was well done. I prefer my place back home which is easily $20 less and much cleaner. They wanted $180 for a 80 minute massage. We got 70 minute massages in town for $20. Other places in town wanted $40, still much better than Casa Dorada. Overall I'd say the people are very friendly, the timeshare folks can get on your nerves after a couple days, the mango bar is great if you're a college kid on spring break. But for the timeshare clientele that want to attract, this is not a 4+ star resort. I'd give it a high 3, 4 at best. Note to Casa Dorada: if you want people to buy into it as a 4+ star resort, I suggest you ramp up the service, minimize the time share sharks, improve the spa cleanliness, lower prices, improve the bed quality, fix the hot water issues and improve food quality significantly.

Room Tip: Everyone says to get a room away from the Mango Bar. I'm here to tell you, there is no such thin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Chelle336699
Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just stayed 2 weeks at Casa Dorada Feb/March and had an amazing time in this beautiful resort. Their staff is very friendly and helpful. They are all very hard workers and made our vacation fantastic. We always stay at Casa Dorada for the great location, right on the beach, stunning views of the Arches and walking distance to town. For the Starbucks lovers, this is the 1st hotel to have a Starbucks station in it, wow. The accommodations are the best. Large rooms with huge balconies and the beds are very comfortable. The 12 Tribes Restaurant on the property is great. Carlos, the chef and his staff have done an amazing job. Portions are large and the service is wonderful. Must try their lobster bisque!! The steaks are great too. They offer a Mediterranean set menu 1 night of the week and it is fantastic!! Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: All the rooms from the second floor and up have great views and large balconies.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our wedding week in Cabo. We decided on Casa Dorada after visiting during a scouting trip back in August. The hotel, location, and staff were amazing. Specifically Jazmin Cesena who is the coordinator. She worked with our coordinator who lives in Cabo and helped organize what was an incredible, memorable experience. There were some wrinkles, but when do you not. Upon our arrival to Casa Dorada, Jazmin and the rest of the staff catered to our every need. Pretty much every staff member knew we were the couple getting married that week and ensured us and our guests were taken care of for anything we needed. We held poolside activities were guests from other hotels attended, and the staff provided towels and loungers for all of them. Our bar events were excellent. We had food and cocktails at every turn. We participated in their ping pong tournament. We had vball games in their pool. Made use of their spa facilities. Use their beach area. Took over the swim up bar. We had close to 100 family and friends and all of them were treated as vip's. The rooms are huge. Pretty much full size kitchens, so you can stock your fridge. The living area is huge and the patios are fantastic with great views. But the pool and beach are so amazing that you never spend time in the room except to sleep. There are hot tubs in each room. Hotel is pricey, but you pay for what you get. There are value hotels. This is appropriately priced. On to the wedding part of the review. We were easily the largest wedding here. 100 total. The deck at 12 Tribes overlooks the beach and has the bay in the background with land's end. It is absolutely gorgeous. Once you walk down the aisle, it is absolutely breathtaking. Their furniture is top notch. The only down side to the location is mago deck. They are pretty loud. But nothing was taking away from our day. Guests were onlooking from their balconies and pool area because the set up was outstanding. Then on to the beach area for cocktails. No better way to take in the sunset. They set up foot cleaning stations for the guests. The on to dinner and reception under the palapa at 12 tribes. We managed to push the limits on how many they can seat, but it worked out perfectly. The dance party back on the open air deck went off. And then they provided us with an after party at Maydan restaurant underneathe, where we managed to dance until the wee hours. At all points of the night, plenty of staff were on hand to take care of everyone. Once the partying was done, my wife and I arrived to a beautifully decorated room with rose petals, cake, wine, flowers, and decorations. We were blown away. The day after the wedding we hosted a beach party for which the staff set up towels, chairs, lounges, and service for us. We again had guests from everywhere join us and it went off without a hitch. We closed up the beach and went to the spa were we easily broke every code with 42 people. But the staff remained friendly and still catered to us. The only time they came by was to remind us of a closing time. They were so gracious we ensured to leave the area as clean as possible. Overall, an incredible experience for us and our guests. The ones that stayed here were blown away by the service as well. Jazmin was excellent. Making herself available at all times during our stay. The bell boys, bar staff, kitchen staff, everyone from Casa Dorada received a big THANK YOU from us. We will absolutely be back. No doubt about it. Food was great. Drinks were flowing. We were entertained. Pampered. anything at any time. This easily surpassed every expectation we had. We could not have been happier with how this turned out. Again, a huge THANK YOU to Jazmin and everyone at Casa Dorada that made our wedding truly special.

Room Tip: The rooms on the north wing. Specifically ending in *01 are the biggest rooms. The trade off is th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here on a family vacation. The rooms were very spacious, with full kitchen. The ocean view was wonderful, with a large balcony outfitted with a table and few chairs. Valet parking has in/out priviledges and you can call from your room to have the car ready for you by the time you come downstairs. The food on the property is excellent. You can walk to other restaurants, take a glass-bottom boat, and enjoy the pools and sauna. I did notice that no one was swimming in the ocean, even though the weather was pretty warm. The only complaint would be that Mango's bar is really loud!

Room Tip: Sign up for their free membership card- it will get you free wifi, which normally costs $15 a day.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank issy212
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The grounds were well maintained and the rooms clean. The location was perfect and I would have rated this hotel higher if not for an unfortunate incident. We were traveling with our daughter. She used her debit card one time while in cabo and that was at Casa Dorada to purchase drinks. We received a call today from the fraud prevention department from her bank. Several purchases from Columbia for hundreds of dollars had been attempted. Thankfully none went throughout but I will think twice about staying here again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sioux54
GM_Casa_Dorada, Manager at Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Sioux54,

We are very sorry to hear about your terrible Debit card issue. Here at Casa Dorada we take security VERY seriously, we run extensive background checks on all of our resort. Please feel confident that we work every day to improve our services and facilities for your entire satisfaction.

Enrique Turcott

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I spent weeks researching a 5 star resort in Cabo that was in walking distance to the downtown restaurants and shops and still be on the beach. After conferring with out travel agent, we decided on Casa Dorado. Two days prior to our departure, my wife became ill and couldn't make the trip. Our friends had to go on without us. We told them that we would try and join them in three days. United airlines changed our tickets for $ 50.00. Our travel agent checked with Casa Dorado and they also said that they would change our reservation. Upon arriving and checking in, my wife questioned the rate on the bill. I thought they were charging for the complete stay. Wrong!
They hiked the rate 6 times what original reservation was for. Our agent back home was able to get us accommodations down the beach away from our friends.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Cynthia J
GM_Casa_Dorada, General Manager at Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Cynthia J

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write this review. I feel deeply sorry that you cannot enjoy our facilities and services. I'm sure we would have done our best to make your stay unforgettable.

Regarding your concern, Casa Dorada has no responsibility in the reservations made through third parties. Besides that, this reservation in particular stats on its cancelation policy in order to avoid a penalty of all your entire stay, that is necessary to cancel within 04 days prior to the arrival. Due your condition, we and the agency made an exception avoiding this penalty, all the changes and up dates were confirmed directly with your travel agent according the confirmation letter that he has received.

Any question you may have about the Resort or the agency Policy, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We are really interested to contact you in order to ensure the best memories on your next stay.

Leonardo Perli

Reviewed March 9, 2013

After going to this hotel 2 times and will soon be going for a third time, I thought I would write a review.
This hotel is amazing. The location is to die for. You're right on the beach, literally, just a few steps away. The ocean is beautiful and Lovers Beach (the beach near the rocks) is stunning to visit. The jet-skies are a blast and the area around the hotel is safe and lively. There are tons of shops and plenty of food choices..which brings me to my first fault. The food here is average. The breakfast buffet is good, basiclly just tons of bread and meat. The lunch is meh. If you're out by the pool and you don't want to go out, it's acceptable. Prices are pretty expensive though. However for dinner I would strongly recommend eating out...you can find MUCH better places to eat if you just look around a bit. But hey, it's always happy hour!

The staff is exceptional. I feel like they actually do care about our experience, and if they don't they act very, very well. They are always there for your needs and are very polite. This brings me to my second fault. Time shares. As soon as you arrive, you are subjected to them. They persuade you to come to their free breakfast and listen to their speech...don't fall for it. Just say a solid "No, thanks" and be on your way. Don't feel bad about it, they talk to everyone.

The rooms are extremely nice. Great heating and cooling and very clean. Nice, open spaces with great furnishing. The patios are amazing, some have hot tubs which are nice as well. House cleaning is around 10 AM to 3-4 ish PM. If you're a late sleeper, be aware. They will want to clean. Just be sure to leave the sign on your door. Also, be sure to grab a chair at the pool early on. By 8 AM, they are all taken with a towel acting as a sign of 'I'm taken'. If you want chairs on the beach, there is usually a couple open. By 9PM no one is at the pool, most are out eating or inside.

One flaw that may not bother some is the Mango Deck. It's a bar literally just a few feet from the hotel..they can get very loud and noisy in the day. They usually don't start the music until 11AM or so but until 11PM expect constant music and crowds. I went during spring break so there was TONS of college kids..you can predict what they we're doing. Now this doesn't bother me that much, as you learn to ignore it and enjoy your vacation.

Also be prepared if you hang out on the beach for lots of merchants trying to sell you stuff. It's all over town, but hey, it's mexico and you're a tourist. Just say "No thanks" and be on your way.

Taxi service around the hotel is good, pretty normal. Not too expensive and traffic isn't too terribly bad. There is a costco and a walmart near the hotel so go there and get lots of water. ALWAYS be drinking water...you'll be suprised how fast you get dehydrated.

The airport is alright. Be prepared for the loooong wait at customs...it was about an hour wait last time. They open up your bag as well in front of everyone..so don't have too many 'sensitive' materials..

Also, be very firm and straightforward at the airport. As you leave customs, you are bombarded with people trying to sell you things and people with fake outfits on for your hotel. They are extremely convincing and will try to sell your dolphin rides and other stuff..don't fall for it, no matter how nice they are. Just get in a taxi and get to your hotel.

If you want to do other activities such as dolphins or whatever, just ask at your hotel. They will give a more straightforward answer.

Heres a recap:
Pros: Excellent hotel. Great location and it has it all. Service is amazing and it's easy to relax.
Cons: LOTS of scammers. Be aware. If you want peace and quiet, this may not be for you. It's not too terribly bad, if you stay near the pool. But if you want absolute silence, I don't recommend it here. It's very lively.

Overall this is one of the best hotels. You're in the perfect place..tiny waves compared to the resorts outside of the little area..it's hard to explain but you're in the perfect place. Would come again and again. Have fun!

Room Tip: Penthouses are at the very top. Don't stay at the bottom unless you don't like stairs. If yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family